Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

I guess my main concern is battery life and just the fluidity of using the phone. I definitely won't have this for a year or two, but my GF is floating by on an old 4 that's starting show it's age more each and every day. I've been hearing good things about 8.3 too

FWIW, I got a 16 GB Verizon (GSM/LTE unlocked) 5s for under $300 on Swappa back in December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

FWIW, I got a 16 GB Verizon (GSM/LTE unlocked) 5s for under $300 on Swappa back in December.

Thanks guys. Picked up a 5S on Amazon for $260. I had an iPhone 5 last year for a few weeks and liked it but couldn't pass up flipping it for a $100 profit.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The 5c is nowhere near as good as a 5s

Agreed.

Go for the 5s if you can. It's way better.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I don't know if it's "way" better. The 5C is literally a 5 and the 5S is a 5S.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

noirstronaut posted:

I don't know if it's "way" better. The 5C is literally a 5 with a slightly bigger battery and the 5S is a 5S.
Fixed that for you :smug:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The 5 is fast enough with iOS 8.3 but the battery life is pretty bad. I would spend a little more and get a 5S.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My 5 is chugging along just fine, I was planning on finally upgrading this fall but I think I'll do okay for another year.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

The 5 is fast enough with iOS 8.3 but the battery life is pretty bad. I would spend a little more and get a 5S.

I haven't had a problem with the battery life with my 5. With the improvements from 8.3 in terms of performance, I really don't see the need to upgrade at this point.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The 5 is fine, but the 5s is Steve's own phone. By that I mean it's the right size for a phone, and only 10% slower than the 6 and 6+ in spite of being much older.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
TBH the iPhone always had abysmal battery life in my experience, my 6 Plus is the first phone I've owned where I actually feel like I don't need to cart a charger around. We'll see how it fares after a few updates though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The 6 is better in every way than the 5s. Form factor especially.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

It's not.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The 5 is better than the 5s on the grounds that it is Onyx and not Space Grey.

BizzaroprOn
Jan 19, 2005

2 in the chest followed by one in the head
I need a recommendation. I have had an LG G3 for the past 5 months now and honestly, I'm getting sick of Android. Its slow, fucks up a lot causing it to be rebooted, and it generally feels laggy as poo poo. My wife has an iPhone 5S and she never has problems with it. I like the bigger screen, so I am leading towards the 6 Plus. I read that the 6S Plus could be released this year. Should I sell the LG and get the 6 Plus or just want until a new version of the Plus comes out potentially this year? I'm on the next program with ATT and can easily re-coop the cost via ebay or Craig's list. Ideas?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 6S+ wouldn't be released till sept-October so it's just a matter of how long you want to wait.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

carry on then posted:

The 5 is better than the 5s on the grounds that it is Onyx and not Space Grey.

It's actually Slate Grey.

But it is the best color, I agree.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

I feel that a lot of people actually say that the form factor of the 6 and 6+ make it harder to hold properly than the 5 and 5S.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

If you're concerned then try it out in a store. Apple Stores are nice because their security mechanism still allows you to pick the thing up and hold it like you normally would.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

carry on then posted:

If you're concerned then try it out in a store. Apple Stores are nice because their security mechanism still allows you to pick the thing up and hold it like you normally would.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the next model to upgrade from my 5, but still haven't really taken a good look at the 6 or 6 plus. I'm sure I'll get around to getting to an Apple Store and actually seeing which one works best for me given that I have tiny hands. Probably the 6 at this point.

edit: I also always use a case, so that will probably change things as well.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

RhoA posted:

edit: I also always use a case, so that will probably change things as well.

If you just want to keep the phone from getting scuffed up then consider the Apple leather case for the 6/6+. It's the closest thing to not having anything at all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

If you just want to keep the phone from getting scuffed up then consider the Apple leather case for the 6/6+. It's the closest thing to not having anything at all.

I agree. I love the leather case on my 6+. I've dropped the phone a few times and it's done a great job.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Yeah the Apple leather case rules. The only way it could be better is if they used higher quality leather, but it's just a smartphone case that you'll likely only be using for a couple of years at most.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Definitely will look into the Apple leather case, thanks guys.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

RhoA posted:

Definitely will look into the Apple leather case, thanks guys.

I've used all sorts of cases. The cheap ones all the way to the expensive ones. The Apple leather are by far the best ones I've used. I feel like a retard for not using them sooner.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you have been using your iPhone for a few years the battery has almost certainly lost a lot of capacity. If you're not happy with the battery life try getting a new battery put in. My iPhone 5 had its capacity probably doubled by putting a new one in after over 2 years of use.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've used all sorts of cases. The cheap ones all the way to the expensive ones. The Apple leather are by far the best ones I've used. I feel like a retard for not using them sooner.

I use a cheap 99 cent Zoogue case on my iPhone 5 that does the job well enough, so was going to just look into getting another one from them. With so many goons recommending the leather case, however, I'll definitely be picking one up.

fleshweasel posted:

If you have been using your iPhone for a few years the battery has almost certainly lost a lot of capacity. If you're not happy with the battery life try getting a new battery put in. My iPhone 5 had its capacity probably doubled by putting a new one in after over 2 years of use.

How bad was the battery life before the new battery was put in? Mine seems to be doing alright for now, although I've had the thing since the 5's were first released.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

fleshweasel posted:

Just to support this, I recently had my iPhone 5 replaced due to a swelling battery, and the battery life of the new phone is incredibly better than my old one. Now maybe some of the low battery life could be attributed to the battery swelling, but I was having charge capacity problems long before I noticed any swelling.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I replaced the battery in my 5 a few months ago and saw a marked improvement. It easily lasts all day with what I consider normal usage.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I broke the screen on my 5 so i've gone back to my 4s for the moment, its not bad but god the battery life is dire. Is it farily easy to replace the battery yourself?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

track day bro! posted:

I broke the screen on my 5 so i've gone back to my 4s for the moment, its not bad but god the battery life is dire. Is it farily easy to replace the battery yourself?

Yeah, the 4 form factor is the easiest to replace the battery on, in my opinion. You just need to take out the bottom screws, slide off the back, and pull out the battery if I remember. It's like a ten minute job at most.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tuyop posted:

Yeah, the 4 form factor is the easiest to replace the battery on, in my opinion. You just need to take out the bottom screws, slide off the back, and pull out the battery if I remember. It's like a ten minute job at most.
It's not just your opinion, it's objective fact. As you say, it's mostly just taking off the back cover and swapping batteries. Every other iPhone form factor has required pulling the screen off and going from there.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Feeling big, gay, and proud with my 5S. This phone is so much better than the 5 I had. I ordered a tempered glass protector but I'm not sure if I like it as it leaves a weird shadow on the home button even after realigning it. Just a minor inconvenience but I will not have a phone without one.

I'm assuming there's no way to remove the carrier tag on the status bar without jailbreaking?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Lblitzer posted:

Feeling big, gay, and proud with my 5S. This phone is so much better than the 5 I had. I ordered a tempered glass protector but I'm not sure if I like it as it leaves a weird shadow on the home button even after realigning it. Just a minor inconvenience but I will not have a phone without one.

I'm assuming there's no way to remove the carrier tag on the status bar without jailbreaking?

There isn't.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

carry on then posted:

There isn't.

Consider me small, straight, and sad then.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, but I need to decide somewhat quickly.

I'm getting a new phone paid for by my company as a bonus and can get a 6 for free or a 6 plus if I chip in around 90 bux (both 64gig). I'm currently using a Nexus 5 so the size doesn't really matter.

Is the 6plus worth paying the premium or should I just shut up and take the free phone?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'd pay the extra. I love my plus I never want to go back.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Agreed. The Plus feels like the size the phone should have been all along. It also has better battery life.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

the panacea posted:

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, but I need to decide somewhat quickly.

I'm getting a new phone paid for by my company as a bonus and can get a 6 for free or a 6 plus if I chip in around 90 bux (both 64gig). I'm currently using a Nexus 5 so the size doesn't really matter.

Is the 6plus worth paying the premium or should I just shut up and take the free phone?

If you don't mind abandoning the prospect of one-handing the phone in almost any situation (well, maybe not if you've got really large hands), the 6 plus is worth the upgrade if you think you'll want/need a bigger battery, proper 1080p resolution, and OIS in the camera. On the flipside, the 6 (non-plus) isn't gargantuan in your pocket, still gets pretty good battery life, has a display that still looks just about as good as 1080p unless you hold the phone right up to your nose, and does a respectable job with DIS (digital image stabilization) to where I don't miss the OIS my last smartphone had at all. I sometimes wish I had the bigger screen of the 6 plus, but definitely not the bigger form factor. It will be noticeably larger than your Nexus 5, mostly due to the bezels.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

enojy posted:

If you don't mind abandoning the prospect of one-handing the phone in almost any situation (well, maybe not if you've got really large hands), the 6 plus is worth the upgrade if you think you'll want/need a bigger battery, proper 1080p resolution, and OIS in the camera. On the flipside, the 6 (non-plus) isn't gargantuan in your pocket, still gets pretty good battery life, has a display that still looks just about as good as 1080p unless you hold the phone right up to your nose, and does a respectable job with DIS (digital image stabilization) to where I don't miss the OIS my last smartphone had at all. I sometimes wish I had the bigger screen of the 6 plus, but definitely not the bigger form factor. It will be noticeably larger than your Nexus 5, mostly due to the bezels.

This might be a silly question, but do most of you use reachability often with the 6 plus? I use both hands with my iPhone 5 for the most part, just because of the added stability, so I don't see a problem having to do that all the time for the 6 plus. The only concern that I have is that the massively bigger size will make it harder for the quick tasks where I just use it one-handed, so was hoping reachability helped with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

RhoA posted:

The only concern that I have is that the massively bigger size will make it harder for the quick tasks where I just use it one-handed, so was hoping reachability helped with that.
You literally can't use it one-handed.