Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mitt Romney posted:

Can someone explain to me why Clinton going to a Chipotle is scandalous and breaking news? I feel like I'm out of the loop or missing something. I've read a couple news articles and all they say is what she ordered.

Because it's the Clintons. Something about them sets the press and the right wing on fire unlike anyone else. Even Obama doesn't get the level of scrutiny the Clintons do - even in their current throes of insanity we still haven't had two weeks of hearings on who Michelle sent a Christmas card to, or reenactments of Michelle killing a man. We haven't had questions about Barack doing an irregular lace up of his shoes, Three Rivers Press hasn't been smacked with inquiries about who signed off on running it.

I remember the 90s and the insanity of the press in covering every. Little. Iota. Of. Bullshit. Now we have Twitter and the Internet and Fox News and hot takes and it is going to be so, so much worse.

9 years of this folks. Strap in.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Add to the OP please

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3037666/Hillary-Clinton-sends-little-boy-floods-tears-stealing-thunder-2016-run.html

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

Not really. Nixon had no intentions of rolling back the Great Society.

PPACA is weird because so much of its public perception hinges on its personal associaton with Obama.

People don't dislike Obama because he produced PPACA: they dislike PPACA because it was produced by Obama. I don't think that was ever really the case for anything Johnson or FDR did.
This. Kentucky and KYnect are the great example but the same thing is happening in Ohio, Arkansas, Indiana, Idaho and a host of other states. So long as people under the impression that they are getting the benefits of the ACA from a program instead of the ACA (or even better when it is framed as in opposition to it) they love it. Cheap health insurance with more coverage and a system that is steadily getting easier to navigate? They love it. Mention Obama and they loathe it.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Fried Chicken posted:

Because it's the Clintons. Something about them sets the press and the right wing on fire unlike anyone else. Even Obama doesn't get the level of scrutiny the Clintons do - even in their current throes of insanity we still haven't had two weeks of hearings on who Michelle sent a Christmas card to, or reenactments of Michelle killing a man. We haven't had questions about Barack doing an irregular lace up of his shoes, Three Rivers Press hasn't been smacked with inquiries about who signed off on running it.

I remember the 90s and the insanity of the press in covering every. Little. Iota. Of. Bullshit. Now we have Twitter and the interment and Fox News and hot takes and it is going to be so, so much worse.

The Clintons are responsible for throwing Bush the elder out of office, which is a hard pill to swallow after 12 years of Reagan (PBUH) and Bush leading the country and taking down communism and whatever. They'll be bitter about that until the end of time. They have to play up everything as a scandal (just like Obama) in order to keep their base as pissed off as ever and to frame the narrative for whatever comes next. Just like Obama. With the Clintons it's personal, especially since Hillary is still involved in politics. I don't see Michelle going in to politics after Obama leaves.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They're also pissed because Clinton's presidency was better than pretty much every Republican presidency since (and possibly including) Eisenhower.

Bubba turned a surplus on the budget despite the GOP shutting the government down trying to stop him. The 1994 GOP insurgency was strangled in its crib and it caused Gingrich to become a big ol' manbaby. Of course they're pissed at him, because his legacy can be portrayed by a bald eagle and a donkey making GBS threads from great height on a senile elephant wearing a greasy faux-pompadour.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cruz changed his hair :v:

Joementum posted:

What about a ring.... like this?!

Wrong thread :colbert:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alter Ego posted:

Ramsay was a Snow, not a Bolton. Read the books, you lepton.
:goonsay:

(Seriously, I really hope we get more "The Bastard of Bolton" references out of John Bolton's quixotic Presidential campaign.)

Ramsay was legitimized by Tommen for Roose Bolton's killing of Robb Stark

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Joementum posted:

Welcome to day seven of the Chipotle primary.
Pataki's getting in the mix, and it is a hit with voter[s].

(At least one voter.)

quote:

Over a chicken burrito hours later at a Manchester Chipotle, Pataki made sure -- unlike Clinton -- that he was known. He introduced himself to about 10 patrons and went behind the counter to introduce himself and pose with workers. He dropped $5 in the tip jar in a dig at Clinton, who wore dark sunglasses and didn’t leave a tip when she visited a Chipotle in Iowa.

After ordering his meal with his wife, Libby, Pataki sat next to 27-year-old Jacen Pagliacci, a green-haired job seeker waiting for an interview. He later moved to a higher table where co-workers Tony Coutee and Jason Soto of Derry were sitting.

“He just walked into a random Chipotle and sat down,” said Soto, 35, a flagman on a crane crew. “Now that this happened I’m going to have to look him up and find out more.”

nopants
May 29, 2004
Are all Republican Presidential candidates going to prove they know how to properly eat at Chipotle's? Is this the new GOP litmus test?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
In the 2016 Presidential Primary there are no winners, except Chipotle.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

nopants posted:

Are all Republican Presidential candidates going to prove they know how to properly eat at Chipotle's? Is this the new GOP litmus test?

This week.

Next week, you'll see candidates like Huckabee, Santorum, and Cruz making a point of eating at McDonalds or Taco Bell because Chipotle is too snooty.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gyges posted:

In the 2016 Presidential Primary there are no winners, except Chipotle.

Man, all this talk is making me want to try the Chipotle down the street.

Great job, politics, you're the most effective fast food ad campaign ever.

goodness that's certainly a thing

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
All of this projecting why people think X group is mad about Y gets really tiresome and often stupid, but I did know a couple guys who were super pissed about Clintons exactly because so many less hardline republicans hated them compared to Obama. They perceived this as a greater threat because Republicans who weren't keen on culture wars were still happy to get rich under Clinton.

But this thread can get real dumb when you see back to back posts stating that Texas will go blue any second but then also all Texans are awful regressive racists.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Mike Huckabee is going to "make an announcement about [his] 2016 decision" tonight on Fox News.

Which means we can expect his show to return next month, I'm betting.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Joementum posted:

Mike Huckabee is going to "make an announcement about [his] 2016 decision" tonight on Fox News.

quote:

"I'll give you a little tip. If you will watch Bret Baier tonight there will be an indication on when an announcement will be forthcoming," Huckabee teased, adding that he was asked by Fox to "come on and do it."

It sounds like an announcement of an announcement tbh.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

mlmp08 posted:

But this thread can get real dumb when you see back to back posts stating that Texas will go blue any second but then also all Texans are awful regressive racists.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Texas is currently run by regressive racists. But as the Latino population increases it will gradually (though not instantaneously) blue.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cantorsdust posted:

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Texas is currently run by regressive racists. But as the Latino population increases it will gradually (though not instantaneously) blue.

Depends on how much of a poo poo state authorities care about voter suppression in Hispanic-majority areas. They sure didn't in Florida during the state elections.

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

Cantorsdust posted:

How about a movement to speed up such a demographic change...I propose that we call it Cuervofull.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cantorsdust posted:

You did not comprehend what I wrote.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

Good evening, America. Have you heard about reverse mortgages? Well I'm here to talk to you about reverse viaticals.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

I remember the 90s and the insanity of the press in covering every. Little. Iota. Of. Bullshit. Now we have Twitter and the Internet and Fox News and hot takes and it is going to be so, so much worse.

You're mostly right but remember 2009 where The Right said B-Rock was elitist for putting mustard on a burger?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Reporter: Are you smart enough to be President?

Perry: *a bunch of words, none of which are 'yes'*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVnyObQj8ig

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Pinterest Mom posted:

It sounds like an announcement of an announcement tbh.
This has been one of the weirdest things w/r/t the various 2016 candidacy announcements: "I'm making an announcement that this Sunday I'm going to announce my candidacy for President" and as such I've technically already announced my candidacy, but whatever, gotta make it officially official and make the media's talking heads happy.

I'm curious, when did that sort of thing actually start? I presume it's a consequence of the 24 hour news cycle, but did it happen in 2008/2012 (or even earlier) as well?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think if you watched through fawlty towers again you'd probably find some good slurs for "spaniard"

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

fade5 posted:

This has been one of the weirdest things w/r/t the various 2016 candidacy announcements: "I'm making an announcement that this Sunday I'm going to announce my candidacy for President" and as such I've technically already announced my candidacy, but whatever, gotta make it officially official and make the media's talking heads happy.

I'm curious, when did that sort of thing actually start? I presume it's a consequence of the 24 hour news cycle, but did it happen in 2008/2012 (or even earlier) as well?

Check out this 6-second teaser for the full 1-minute teaser for the full 3-minute trailer for my 120-minute film

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

And somewhere GOP strategists are gnashing their teeth for someone as prominent as Trump stating their planned dog-whistle outright and requiring their candidates to distance themselves from it

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

You're mostly right but remember 2009 where The Right said B-Rock was elitist for putting mustard on a burger?

I do. I also remember it being a thing that Bill took pickles off his Big Mac and the issue of ketchup, salt, or both for his fries.

Edit: never forget, Bill was the one for whom "boxers or briefs" dominated the news cycle after some yahoo on MTV asked him that long before Lewinsky became a thing

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 17, 2015

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Some Republican is going to say "Chipolty" on TV and then it will become a shibboleth.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Some Republican is going to say "Chipolty" on TV and then it will become a shibboleth.

Already happened.

FOXDIE
Mar 31, 2014
I have no idea what I'm going to do in 2016. I'm too much of a diehard progressive to get excited about Hillary. I've tried, I swear, I've tried to fake enthusiasm until it became real, but it just isn't happening.

Worse than that, I live in Kentucky, and I have no doubt that Rand Paul is going to bodyslam whoever the KDP puts up as his Senate opponent. Alison had a chance in the beginning because McConnell was unpopular even with Republicans, but she squandered that through a poorly run campaign. Now we're going up against someone who, however much of a joke he may be on the national level, is basically the physical embodiment of what the average rural white Kentuckian wants his government to act like. We don't have anyone on our bench who is popular enough to challenge him, Alison is the only Democrat in this state with near enough star power, but she won't be able to drum up the support she needs after the humiliating 2014 defeat. A lot of people are whispering Adam Edelen's name (state auditor), which is a joke.

I thought about volunteering for Jill Stein just to say I did something, but the Kentucky Green Party is virtually nonexistent. Their biggest profile is this guy named Geoff Young who shows up at Democratic events and pickets them Westboro-style with signs like "WITH GRIMES AND CONWAY DEMS LOSE." I actually had a picture on my phone I could share with you guys but I deleted is yesterday to save space, makes me sad now.

So yeah, don't care for Hillary, KDP has no chance of unseating Paul, and Greens are a hilarious mess in my state. 2016 won't be fun for me.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

FOXDIE posted:

I have no idea what I'm going to do in 2016. I'm too much of a diehard progressive to get excited about Hillary. I've tried, I swear, I've tried to fake enthusiasm until it became real, but it just isn't happening.

Worse than that, I live in Kentucky, and I have no doubt that Rand Paul is going to bodyslam whoever the KDP puts up as his Senate opponent. Alison had a chance in the beginning because McConnell was unpopular even with Republicans, but she squandered that through a poorly run campaign. Now we're going up against someone who, however much of a joke he may be on the national level, is basically the physical embodiment of what the average rural white Kentuckian wants his government to act like. We don't have anyone on our bench who is popular enough to challenge him, Alison is the only Democrat in this state with near enough star power, but she won't be able to drum up the support she needs after the humiliating 2014 defeat. A lot of people are whispering Adam Edelen's name (state auditor), which is a joke.

I thought about volunteering for Jill Stein just to say I did something, but the Kentucky Green Party is virtually nonexistent. Their biggest profile is this guy named Geoff Young who shows up at Democratic events and pickets them Westboro-style with signs like "WITH GRIMES AND CONWAY DEMS LOSE." I actually had a picture on my phone I could share with you guys but I deleted is yesterday to save space, makes me sad now.

So yeah, don't care for Hillary, KDP has no chance of unseating Paul, and Greens are a hilarious mess in my state. 2016 won't be fun for me.

Ask yourself who Snake would vote for

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Senator John Calipari (D-KY) is your only hope.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Not even 24 hrs. Maybe he's a secret goon!

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Zelder posted:

Ask yourself who Snake would vote for

I don't care about your elections.

Joementum posted:

Half decent odds he makes the announcement from a Cracker Barrel.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Chi-poe-tull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, in New Hampshire....

Isn't this the guy Mark Warner buried the first time he ran for Senate?

• Locked thread