Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

McDowell posted:

Well if you have three part time 'C' jobs yes you would deserve the same wage as a trash collector or an EMT (CCC salaried jobs)

This way you address income inequality while rationalizing job hunting and income tax.

http://news.mcdonalds.com/press-releases/mcdonald-s-usa-announces-new-employee-benefit-package-including-wage-increase-an-nyse-mcd-1185520

McDonalds did increase to wage to Corporate employees, but you have to remember that most of the restaurants are franchised and do not fall under Corporate McDonalds. That being said, franchise restaurants usually take a 15 to 20% hit on margin profits for paying low wage employees. Increasing the wage can cause a lot of financial instability to the franchise, so they would have to raise the amount of their product being sold. if you, raised the average wage of $7.25 to $15.00 , that is almost a 100% increase. If you pay 1 dollar for a large fry and apply the same dynamics to the new cost of the fry, that would be almost $2. Would you be willing to pay for the same fry of the same consistency and quantity but at a 100% increase? The average cost of a family of a father, mother, 3 kids cost about $28. the new cost could be over $55 now. see my point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Radish posted:

I wonder how many white people outraged over anti-white racism have actually been called a cracker.

I call my white friend a cracker jokingly from time to time, and we laugh, but he would never ever call me a friend of the family because I'd rightly beat his rear end.

It's impossible to hurt someone's feelings by calling them a cracker, it's just too silly.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

quote:

24) “The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn’t. But she is a typical white person…” -- Barack Obama

Clearly Both Parties Are Equally Racist

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Zelder posted:

I call my white friend a cracker jokingly from time to time, and we laugh, but he would never ever call me a friend of the family because I'd rightly beat his rear end.

It's impossible to hurt someone's feelings by calling them a cracker, it's just too silly.

It's almost as if bigotry draws its strength solely from institutionalized and culturally-entrenched racism. I wonder if anyone has ever had this thought before.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

drakegrim posted:

The average cost of a family of a father, mother

Because gays eat at Chipotle.

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Edmund Lava posted:

How come the only time EMS gets brought up is in this stupid loving context. Don't pretend you give a gently caress about us or what we're paid. Also RNs and Sanitation already earn well above 15$hr at least in my area.

my wife earned $18 an hour as a LPN with 2 years of school and having to pay for a yearly license... some one who does not even flip a burger but puts it in the microwave does not deserve to earn 15 and hour.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Again if you have to increase prices that much to cover employee raises you're a poo poo manager. Have any of you actually worked in retail? Revenue dilution from employee wages should be around 15%.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Clearly Both Parties Are Equally Racist

Nobody said anything about equal racism, but the fact that liberals just blatantly ignore racism from "their" side is ridiculous.

"The only moral racism is MY racism" which happens to usually be targeted at whites.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Amergin posted:

English had 0.6% less unemployment than economics but made much less money, and I'm arguing that English degrees are your fast track to being a barista, burger flipper or other menial minimum wage job.

So... next?

You were comparing the performance of hard science education paths like computer science to humanities and soft sciences like English and this refutes it to the point where you have to leap to comparing one liberal arts degree (economics) against another (English), a complete abandonment of your stated position in an attempt to move the goal posts.

Concession accepted

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

mdemone posted:

It's almost as if bigotry draws its strength solely from institutionalized and culturally-entrenched racism. I wonder if anyone has ever had this thought before.

According to a distressingly high number of people I've met, no.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

drakegrim posted:

my wife earned $18 an hour as a LPN with 2 years of school and having to pay for a yearly license... some one who does not even flip a burger but puts it in the microwave does not deserve to earn 15 and hour.

Or maybe your wife deserves more? Nah just burn it all down.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

drakegrim posted:

it does, but its still racist regardless of the date.

You said the word "lately" and you're using poo poo like Dan Rather quotes. Try harder is what I'm saying.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

drakegrim posted:

And who appointed you to be the person that decides what everyone deserves? Does your wife deserve that wage?

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

mdemone posted:

i think of it as we are all hosed equally and its all about class now. Al sharpton has poo poo over his own people by selling out to Comcast by taking alot of money to not talk about racism in Comcast, and same with whites taking money from low middle class for investments and loosing all their money for their own greed.

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Edmund Lava posted:

Or maybe your wife deserves more? Nah just burn it all down.

no, she got sick and tired of making such low money she went back to school... see my point?

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

drakegrim posted:

http://news.mcdonalds.com/press-releases/mcdonald-s-usa-announces-new-employee-benefit-package-including-wage-increase-an-nyse-mcd-1185520

McDonalds did increase to wage to Corporate employees, but you have to remember that most of the restaurants are franchised and do not fall under Corporate McDonalds. That being said, franchise restaurants usually take a 15 to 20% hit on margin profits for paying low wage employees. Increasing the wage can cause a lot of financial instability to the franchise, so they would have to raise the amount of their product being sold. if you, raised the average wage of $7.25 to $15.00 , that is almost a 100% increase. If you pay 1 dollar for a large fry and apply the same dynamics to the new cost of the fry, that would be almost $2. Would you be willing to pay for the same fry of the same consistency and quantity but at a 100% increase? The average cost of a family of a father, mother, 3 kids cost about $28. the new cost could be over $55 now. see my point?

Paying employees hurts the bottom line, eh? I suppose they could just do without those employees, and then according to that math, it's all pure profit! Since, well, minimum wage employees at fast food places make up 100% of costs.

You've truly made me see the light.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

drakegrim posted:

Ahahahahaha you have no idea how revenue works

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

drakegrim posted:

no, she got sick and tired of making such low money she went back to school... see my point?

And does she make more or less money by going back to school?

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Unzip and Attack posted:

You said the word "lately" and you're using poo poo like Dan Rather quotes. Try harder is what I'm saying.

uhh ohh, we have a grammar Nazi in here, just like a lib when they are cornered by facts..lol

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Amergin posted:

I was going to mention the Democrat members of the Klan but I was holding that card for later in the game.

Southern Democrats were racist? :monocle:

Radish posted:

I wonder how many white people outraged over anti-white racism have actually been called a cracker.

Gotta always include Louis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg48ZZ2wYfM

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

And does she make more or less money by going back to school?

she is making more now, but she needed more experience in the field too.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

drakegrim posted:

i think of it as we are all hosed equally and its all about class now. Al sharpton has poo poo over his own people by selling out to Comcast by taking alot of money to not talk about racism in Comcast, and same with whites taking money from low middle class for investments and loosing all their money for their own greed.

And you'd be wrong. Poor black people still get crappier deals than poor white people. And now as a black man I'm going to use my black privilege to shut down this conversation. Cease this line of thought before I summon Sharpton to call you a racist!

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

You were comparing the performance of hard science education paths like computer science to humanities and soft sciences like English and this refutes it to the point where you have to leap to comparing one liberal arts degree (economics) against another (English), a complete abandonment of your stated position in an attempt to move the goal posts.

Concession accepted

How does this refute anything? Your article even said that English was worse than computer science for both unemployment figures AND median salary. You okay, FC? You're usually more on point than this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't understand why people don't understand that Employees for McDonald's and Walmart as well as other franchise specifically recieve SNAP benefits because their pay is so low, so ultimately the tax payer is in fact supplementing their income.

The money that would be saved just through SNAP benefits would be enough that you could give a Corporate Tax break or lower taxes in specific areas to offset the need to increase pricing.

It's simple budgetary math.

Government spends X amount in Billions on SNAP benefits.

Government Raises WAGE, no longer has to pay X Billions in SNAP benefits

Government can spend savings on job training etc..

It also does not take into account that the increase in sales overall would probably not require people to raise prices.

It also does not count the "Trickle up" policy of raising the minimum wage. A Good example is LPNs, their income would have to increase or you'd see a drop in people wanting to become LPNs when they go "Wait I spend 10,000 dollars and 2 years to make 2 Dollars more than minimum wage?".

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

"If my employees are making twice as much money, then we need twice as much turnover to pay them!!" -how Republicans actually think wages work

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Paying employees hurts the bottom line, eh? I suppose they could just do without those employees, and then according to that math, it's all pure profit! Since, well, minimum wage employees at fast food places make up 100% of costs.

You've truly made me see the light.

so liberal TV is warping your little mind and its ok, because i'm here to help shed some light on the confusing aspects of liberal TV.

Reagan Economics:
you will love this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h8O7V-WxWQ

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Ugh I know drakegrim is a sub-Amergin troll (at least Amergin tries) but it's important to remember that the job market metaphor works both ways. If you could do a low-effort job for $15 vs a high effort job for $18, you'll probably choose the $15. The high effort job has to increase the wage or they won't have enough people. In other words, raising the minimum wage will have a knock-on effect as employers with near-minimum wages have to stay competitive.

*note: this does not apply when the employers are colluding to depress wages as seen with Google and Facebook and their ilk.

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Zelder posted:

And you'd be wrong. Poor black people still get crappier deals than poor white people. And now as a black man I'm going to use my black privilege to shut down this conversation. Cease this line of thought before I summon Sharpton to call you a racist!

lol good one

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I don't understand why people don't understand that Employees for McDonald's and Walmart as well as other franchise specifically recieve SNAP benefits because their pay is so low, so ultimately the tax payer is in fact supplementing their income.

SNAP should also only be given to the unemployed but that's a side issue.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

drakegrim posted:

You're a loving idiot if you think it costs a dollar to make french fires at [insert fastfood restaurant]. Doubling employee wages will cause at most a 10% increase in prices, we're talking nickels and dimes.

Man, I sure do like how you think certain members of society should suffer but service you anyway, you're a loving treat.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Amergin posted:

Nobody said anything about equal racism, but the fact that liberals just blatantly ignore racism from "their" side is ridiculous.

"The only moral racism is MY racism" which happens to usually be targeted at whites.

I made the reference and he went for it anyway, with sprinkles of jealousy that valid complaints are heard. Goddamn.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

drakegrim posted:

uhh ohh, we have a grammar Nazi in here, just like a lib when they are cornered by facts..lol

Yes, equating a Dan Rather quote from 5 years ago to systemic denial of minority voting rights cornered me and I responded by flailing around and resorting to quoting you. You are single handedly bringing reason to these forums and we are so lucky to have you here.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'll dig up the report but you can specifically point to minimum wage increases overall increasing wages across all lower to middle income jobs.

Like I don't think people understand that we spend about 15 to 20 billion dollars a years to buy employees that make minimum wage food.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 17, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Amergin posted:

Give me a realistic example where spending four years studying Shakespeare will ever become crucially important and levereagable, as opposed to computer skills that you can use in most job opportunities these days (even min. wage ones).

Sic Semper Tyranus

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

drakegrim posted:

so liberal TV is warping your little mind and its ok, because i'm here to help shed some light on the confusing aspects of liberal TV.

Reagan Economics:
you will love this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pkVLqSaahk

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Amergin posted:

All history while you quietly ignore the quotes of present day racism.

Yes, "present day" racism. *pulls quote from 1984*

-EDIT-

Amergin posted:

Racism against whites is in fact moral, a good and objectively true observation.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 17, 2015

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

FaustianQ posted:

You're a loving idiot if you think it costs a dollar to make french fires at [insert fastfood restaurant]. Doubling employee wages will cause at most a 10% increase in prices, we're talking nickels and dimes.

Man, I sure do like how you think certain members of society should suffer but service you anyway, you're a loving treat.

you forget to calc in the increase the employer pays for tax on the lucky individual who got a 100% increase in wage, yes it would cause the product to sky rocket, this is why alot of companies started to ship jobs over seas to pay lower wages and not deal with people bitching about how much they make and having to increase product. Unfortunately, you cannot ship service jobs away over seas so the product will increase.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

drakegrim posted:

Reagan Economics:
you will love this

You misunderstand, I really liked what you said. It really resonated with me. As a business owner, I'm just now starting to fire all my employees so I can reduce costs to 0 and get rich!

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

drakegrim posted:

:qq:

I could ask for more money in response to the minimum wage increase, but instead I'll sit here and whine that I didn't fight for my own wage increases and complain about them poors making almost as much money as me. If only you guys had some sort of group employee effort to help make employing companies offer proper and competitive wages based on the educational and occupational requirements of the job. Now this might sound out there, but some sort of bargaining of the collective employees or something.

Nope, let's go back to school and pile on more debt so I can get another job at a place that doesn't pay well to complain about the minimum wage all over again.

The American Dream (TM) :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Hollismason posted:

I'll dig up the report but you can specifically point to minimum wage increases overall increasing wages across all lower to middle income jobs.

Like I don't think people understand that we spend about 15 to 20 billion dollars a years to buy employees that make minimum wage food.

:qq: But then that's 15-20 billion and less profit for the companies :qq:

• Locked thread