Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Jetpac and the arcade DK still in DK64?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Oh cool 80 new posts in the Wii U thread something good must have happened

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Someone said a naughty/REALLY funny word.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tatsuta Age posted:

Oh cool 80 new posts in the Wii U thread something good must have happened

Can we ban this type of post yet

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yep, they must have wrangled the rights to the decades-old Rare game in there somehow.

DK64 is Not That Bad:

You aren't forced to collect everything in a level c'mon though I will concede that it is without a doubt a weaker, less focused game than both M64 and Banjo-Kazooie, games that came out years before. So, like, just play those first, OK?

And if you want more Rare-Flavored-collectathon-adventure-platforming DK64 will always be waiting there for you.

Ooo, Banana

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I see nothing wrong with reusing the same jokes over and over again whenever dumb arguments come up and you want to look super cool.

Monkey Fracas posted:

You aren't forced to collect everything in a level c'mon though I will concede that it is without a doubt a weaker, less focused game than both M64 and Banjo-Kazooie, games that came out years before. So, like, just play those first, OK?
I cannot play a collect-a-thon without collecting every single thing when possible. DK64 would kill me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It'd be nice to at least see them get the Banjo games on the eShop, though I don't know how possible that is with the Xbox versions existing. If it is possible than it'd also mean a whole new generation could learn the unholy fear and rage inspired by the words "Silver Coin Race" in Diddy Kong Racing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Macaluso posted:

It doesn't even make sense since this thread gets a ton of posts anyway.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Zonekeeper posted:

Yeah, I liked the collectathon genre before Rare escalated it to those points.
Banjo-Kazooie and Mario 64 are still games I like to bust out every now and then because the collection aspects give you things to hunt down without overdoing it. I never played DK64 but the idea of collecting the same stuff multiple times with different characters sounds like absolute hell compared to those two.

Some of the banana's are pretty good and fun to collect. There is a lot of minigames and crummy things to get, the beetle can burn in hell, though.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It'd be nice to at least see them get the Banjo games on the eShop, though I don't know how possible that is with the Xbox versions existing. If it is possible than it'd also mean a whole new generation could learn the unholy fear and rage inspired by the words "Silver Coin Race" in Diddy Kong Racing.

Those... are in the DS version, right? Chances are if we get any Diddy Kong Racing we'll get that one.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

dk64 is bad but it's fun sometimes

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

I cannot play a collect-a-thon without collecting every single thing when possible. DK64 would kill me.

I collected everything when the game came out and I was a kid with infinite time. I screwed around with it a few years ago on an emulator and I still found it to be Alright, but I'm never loving collecting every last different-colored banana again.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I mean, to its credit you only have to get 75/100 bananas for each Kong to get a banana medal, and you only need 15 of those to beat the game. It's ridiculously easy to skip Troff and Scoff so theoretically you can just get those 15 and then never worry about collecting any regular bananas again. And hell, you only have to get half of the golden bananas, the highest B. Locker is only 100 out of the 201 total bananas.

None of that excuses the bland level design or making you do it 5 times over in general, but it's almost like they sort of knew that they went overboard?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

diddy kong should have rode around on donkey kong's back like banjo kazooie/dkcr. the rest of the kongs could be the shop owner kongs

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Donkey Kong 64 is like Banjo-Tooie, only more so.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I definitely like Banjo-Tooie more than I like DK64.

Except for Canary Mary. gently caress Canary Mary.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

when i was a child my dad got his jigsaw out and held it over the a button and both canary mary and the controller were demolished. all you get is a cheato page

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So is the only reason that DK made it to the vc that Nintendo owns the right to the character? Or is there a possibility of Jet Force Gemini and Conker?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

So is the only reason that DK made it to the vc that Nintendo owns the right to the character? Or is there a possibility of Jet Force Gemini and Conker?

There's not a snowball's chance for Conker - Apparently there's a new game coming out on the XBone. Jet Force Gemini's certainly possible.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The problems with Banjo-Tooie and DK64 weren't that there was too much to collect, it was more that the worlds were just too drat big and sprawly. Maybe it was a way to show off the huge worlds, seeing as how open-world exploration wasn't a huge thing back then. There were a lot of great setpieces, but each one was so far apart that it was a hassle to get to them. The biggest offender was probably Fungi Forest, where you have to walk a solid minute or so to get anywhere important.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SRM posted:

I use up to jump and I also play shooters with inverted controls.

Fight me.

I just pity you

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Banjo Tooie is a greater game than Kazooie, but not necessarily a better one.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have a feeling there was a "So we can make it big and impressive-looking? Do it, and drat the gameplay consequences!" attitude on some old games. Hyrule Field in OoT comes to mind.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chieves posted:

Banjo Tooie is a greater game than Kazooie, but not necessarily a better one.

Banjo-Kazooie definitely had the better soundtrack at least. I still know the Spring version of Click-Clock Wood off by heart :cripes:.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I have a feeling there was a "So we can make it big and impressive-looking? Do it, and drat the gameplay consequences!" attitude on some old games. Hyrule Field in OoT comes to mind.

Well they were big leaps in those days, so yeah. I know you can compare any end-of-lifespan console titles with the launch ones and point and how different the graphics quality is, but it was a much bigger deal on the first machines to have 3D graphics to have much larger worlds in DK64 and Banjo-Tooie than the predecessors.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I loved DK64 when I was a kid but it didn't age very well. Someone in the thread linked some DK64 speedrunner when the game came out on Virtual Console though and I've kinda looped around to liking it again. It has a ton of weird glitches I don't understand and people have beaten the game in under 30 minutes (and like half of that is the final boss)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
That's a moonkick and it's actually one of the easiest glitches to do in the game. That said, for some reason I can't get it to work in the VC version, I hope my timing is just off because of the improved framerate. :(

E: The way it works is that you do DK's aerial attack, but have it be "interrupted" by hitting the ground, and then immediately going into his running attack. Why does it work? DK64! :iiam:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Artix posted:

That's a moonkick and it's actually one of the easiest glitches to do in the game. That said, for some reason I can't get it to work in the VC version, I hope my timing is just off because of the improved framerate. :(

Well yeah I get that one, I just posted it because it looks cool

It's stuff like the intro story glitch that make zero sense to me

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
the old donkey kong country games for SNES were amazing

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

when i was a child my dad got his jigsaw out and held it over the a button and both canary mary and the controller were demolished. all you get is a cheato page

I like your dad. Gonna try this, but for minigames in Mario Party 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mamelon posted:

I like your dad. Gonna try this, but for minigames in Mario Party 2.

Amateur. Rig a power drill for the stick-spinners in Mario Party :pseudo:.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Amateur. Rig a power drill for the stick-spinners in Mario Party :pseudo:.

I for real tore the palm of my hand up as a kid on that stupid Shy-Guy spin game

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hey everyone, a guy on the last page cited south park as presenting the correct definitive stance on an issue

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Neddy Seagoon posted:

god help you with trying to get some of those Jiggies without a guide just because you need to step through three different Worlds in-order via well-hidden shortcuts.
poo poo like this is a reason I have very mixed feelings on B-T, playing it on X360 since I never got to play it back on N64. With two exceptions, in B-K you could collect every jiggy, note and move in a world the first time you visited it (assuming you fully completed each world in turn before it). In B-T I don't even know what the gently caress I even can do in the world I am in, if I can get any more jiggies or if I have to hit up three other worlds first.

That said, Cloudcuckooland has cool design and I like the music but gently caress those enemies that pop up from the ground.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The only thing I really don't like about DK64 is that the camera is rear end.

For some reason, I don't find the collectables that annoying. Although I understand the frustration in backtracking to different areas (though you do have the warp pads).

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Willo567 posted:

The only thing I really don't like about DK64 is that the camera is rear end.

For some reason, I don't find the collectables that annoying. Although I understand the frustration in backtracking to different areas (though you do have the warp pads).

I don't remember the camera being an issue, but replaying on the VC and it's the biggest issue I've been having so far.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
All I remember about DK64 was playing each level 5 times to collect all those loving bananas, and hating most of it

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

All Frogs posted:

I don't remember the camera being an issue, but replaying on the VC and it's the biggest issue I've been having so far.

probably because using a stick for controls that used to be buttons is a lovely loving feeling.

Mario 64 has the same issue, though arguably worse.

I just want to put those controls on my D-Pad but they won't let me.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Canary Mary did nothing wrong

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Looper posted:

Canary Mary did nothing wrong

We know, that's why we despise the bitch. If you dont match her flawless button-mashing you're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

RMZXAnarchy posted:

probably because using a stick for controls that used to be buttons is a lovely loving feeling.

Mario 64 has the same issue, though arguably worse.

I just want to put those controls on my D-Pad but they won't let me.

Yeah. Using the stick for the C Buttons in general has been weird. I haven't had as much of a problem with Super Mario 64's camera though.

• Locked thread