Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-h2wakY9ow

Check out this dudes voice haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Dizz posted:

Too bad the 3DS is poo poo and holding down the WiiU version.

The 3DS version is actually kind of a technical marvel, it's crazy how smooth it is on that hardware and how close it plays to the HD version. It's great on the New 3DS with the shortened load times and c-stick nub.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I was making an Ice Climbers reference you jerks!

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Locke posted:

I thought that was weird that Shulk was so light until I actually played Xenoblade and got to see Shulk's actual size. He's a goddamned munchkin. Give him a job at a chocolate factory and he'll spend his days singing morality showtunes. He's nowhere near in the same ballpark as Ike. Hell, he should probably be lighter then Marth

he looks like a normal anime dude WTF are you talking about

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

thats me, buzz off

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

lmao

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

bef posted:

thats me, buzz off

lmao

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
He produces quality content and his voice is perfectly understandable and articulate. There is no need for fun making.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Treebeh posted:

He produces quality content and his voice is perfectly understandable and articulate. There is no need for fun making.

it's pretty funny

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

No one is allowed to make fun of my friend bef

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Treebeh posted:

The noises he makes with his mouth are funny, and I will enjoy them.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

That dude is putting himself out there to do a service for everyone and to be quite honest I respect him for his help.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Reiley posted:

That dude is putting himself out there to do a service for everyone and to be quite honest I respect him for his help.

He's an angel.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Masahiro Sakurai will be making a presentation at the Fire Emblem concert

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Ah, my favorite band

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reiley posted:

Thank you

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
And now for some intrigue, as well as a good read: Was DLC planned for Smash 4?

For those who aren't interested in a good read, I'll cut to the chase:

quote:

These icons are used whenever a player completes All Star mode on the 3DS. Stages 1-6 are used in the final game, while stages 7-9 do not appear at all. If they ever were implemented, however, the game could host up to 22 additional characters in All Star mode.
22 potential DLC candidates. What.

Personally I don't believe Nintendo would be willing to break their backs that hard, but there is one thing that lends credence to it: Mewtwo appears in the All Star lineup after he's downloaded. Take from that what you will.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I have no idea what to do with Mewtwo's move where he levitates and flips the opponent (confusion I guess?). Like, it seems useless, it flips them, does a tiny amount of damage, and then the other player can instantly attack you unless you quickly dodge. I have no idea how to work it into a combo

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It can reflect projectiles so you could play catch with it. :shrug:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Confusion's primary utility is as a reflect; the effect it has on other characters is a secondary bonus, if that.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

At first I was upset at how light Mewtwo was, but if he's using psychic powers to float and flip people around and poo poo, he's gotta take the bad with the good.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I gotta get back in after the patch. Are there any decent guides for Charizard? Preferable one that doesn't say "Please don't use Charizard"

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 17, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I gotta get back in after the patch. Are there any decent guides for Charizard? Preferable one that does say "Please don't use Charizard"

Use the side B that is called Dragon Rush and use your nair like you're ROB except it's half as good. That's pretty much every pro charizard I've ever seen.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Confusion is also a good anti-counter that you can turn into a down smash easily.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

SL the Pyro posted:

And now for some intrigue, as well as a good read: Was DLC planned for Smash 4?

I hate the gently caress out of that link because that person obviously doesn't know that Nowhere is where Lucas is from.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Chieves posted:

Confusion is also a good anti-counter that you can turn into a down smash easily.

Apparently some characters can hit you before the d-smash connects so be careful with that.

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?
Does anyone have any tips for playing as Duck Hunt? I like his basic playstyle, but I still find myself getting stomped by most folks online. Right now I'm pretty much always throwing the pigeon and spawning gunman. Anything beyond that?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
The gunman seems pretty useless thus far. I love the powder keg though. I've found that his mobility and A moves are pretty solid, particularly back A in the air and neutral A. He is also fairly fast on the ground. I think you need to be a little more aggressive perhaps and go for setups with the powder keg.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
You should be using the can with just as much if not more frequency than the clay pigeon or gunman. Having good control of the can allows you to put together some great set-ups, and it even works really well when the opponent is off-stage trying to get back to the ledge. Using the can in conjunction with the gunman and clay pigeon will let you keep the opponent out or also force them into your area where you can follow up with a grab.

Don't be afraid to use aerials, especially neutral and up air. Neutral air is good for racking on damage, up air has kill potential at higher percentages.

I'm still in the process of learning Duck Hunt myself, so lemme know if I missed anything.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

"Roy is dead. Please understand."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Suspicious Cook posted:

"Roy is dead. Please understand."
"Ohhhhh Roy's our boy, the pipes, the pipes are caaaaalllliiing..."

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Dizz posted:

I hate the gently caress out of that link because that person obviously doesn't know that Nowhere is where Lucas is from.

I grimaced when I saw that too. It's doubly aneurysm-inducing after all the research they put into the rest of the article, yet they fail to recognize Lucas' in-joke.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

I gotta get back in after the patch. Are there any decent guides for Charizard? Preferable one that doesn't say "Please don't use Charizard"

Neutral air all day but it's kind of bad. Up-B kills off the top pretty well. Rock smash's super armor comes in handy but don't be predictable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXejQ5PYpHk

If your opponent is bad and rolls a lot, flare blitz or the alternative flare blitzes can be a great roll-catching tool, but that will give you bad habits for people who can adjust their rolls on the fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYdANVzvBw0

messagemode1 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 17, 2015

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

I've played Charizard a bit, some things I've noticed.

-Flare Blitz is basically your bread and butter when opponents get predictable. It goes through weaker projectiles, has a pretty big hitbox in front of Charizard (makes it very hard to do something like 'jab' Charizard out of it,) moves fast and far, and hits like a truck- it's extremely ideal for punishing whiffed attacks you're otherwise not in range to punish. Even against better opponents, you can use it on reaction against most opponents against rolls, get-up rolls, and tech rolls and get a free hit when they do these as long as you're somewhat close-ish when they start it (two to three Charizard lengths). It's also your main form of recovery since it goes really far, doesn't put you into free fall, and is often safe. Yes, it hurts you, but that's the cost of such a versatile move.

-Against a grounded opponent, your best attacks are probably your jab chain and down tilt, and smart and sparing use of Flamethrower and forward/back hopped N-airs. Charizard is really bad against shield-heavy opponents offensively but can pressure them with Flamethrower and d/f-tilt safely. Against dodge/roll happy opponents who like to go behind you at close range Charizard-s d-smash is super fast to the point where you can use it on reaction and miss because it hits TOO SOON since it's damage box only lasts a short instant when Charizard stomps down. Be aware of that and actually use the ability to charge it to hold it until needed.

-Airborne opponents are much easier for the most part as Charizard as F-air and N-air both have good reach and N-air in particular stays out forever and has good combo/follow-up potential if sour-spotted. U-air's pretty good but when the hitbox actually comes out is a little strange, so learn that timing. Up-B is also really strong but of course leaves you really vulnerable if your opponent sees it coming or you miss. THE DREAM is hitting with the sweet spot of the back air, as that kills at like 80% but it's slow to come out and has a very strange hit box and most opponents can dodge it on reaction. Still, it's a good edge guard move.

-Speaking of edge guarding, you're a giant goddamn beast with functional wings giving you that second air jump and one of the best horizontal moves in the game. Do not be afraid to chase an opponent WAY OUT THERE with a Flare Blitz, finish them, and Flare Blitz -> Jump -> Jump -> Up-B back. The one area Charizard really shines is gimping because N-air's huge lingering hitbox means that it is extremely difficult to airdodge without at least getting sour-spotted, leaving the opponent that much further from the stage, and his other aerials all do stuff in this situation too- You also have a spike (Huge Style Points- Flare Blitz a short distance above your recovering opponent then spike 'em) and a quick f-air claw to use just as the Bltiz ends if they dodge expecting the Blitz to hit, and there's always just body-checking a guy with Flare Blitz itself (Although it's easily air dodged in reaction and is usually better to try and distance it so you actually approach them with an aerial post-Blitz.) This is easier on stages with sides to crash into as on some stages you can wind up under the stage if you don't Flare Blitz back from far enough out. You really want to learn the distance of Flare Blitz and how low/far out Charizard can go and still get back, but it's worth it because this adds a lot of threat to your game.

-Down-B has hyper armor. This is REALLY valuable for C-zard as he's a big combo target and lacks a lot of fast attacks under pressure, especially in the air. Don't get predictable with it, but use Down-B to break up offensive pressure you really don't have a better way out of and possibly get some solid damage and a kill. It's not quite a counter, but it can be used similarly to one. Also, against sloppy/greedy players just mash it out while getting combo'd and when they slip up you'll pull out your rock and soak a hit before returning in kind. If you're getting juggled in the air in particular, this can lead to some early deaths for your opponent.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

Macaluso posted:

I have no idea what to do with Mewtwo's move where he levitates and flips the opponent (confusion I guess?). Like, it seems useless, it flips them, does a tiny amount of damage, and then the other player can instantly attack you unless you quickly dodge. I have no idea how to work it into a combo

It links into his fsmash and downsmash (at least against Yoshi) and is a grab. Basically it forces your opponent to play this really weird spacing game where they have to be far enough away to stay out of its range but close enough to where you can't just shadow ball them with impunity.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light

DaMangoSentinel posted:

Does anyone have any tips for playing as Duck Hunt? I like his basic playstyle, but I still find myself getting stomped by most folks online. Right now I'm pretty much always throwing the pigeon and spawning gunman. Anything beyond that?

"Can is love, can is LIFE." Basically the Duck Hunt Mantra. Gunman and Clay Pidgeon are both good in their own ways, but the can is so versatile it should be your main attack option. You can use the cans distance for some good zoning/setups, and you can either dtilt to knock the can forward into unsuspecting opponents or dash attack it to send it across long distances or at an angle vertically to cut off someone approaching you form the air. Also if you're retreating you can hit the can with a quick bair and mash b which will call the can back over your head to catch someone who is rushing in.

The Gunman is good depending on how your opponent reacts. If you get someone who doesn't know how to handle it and shields a lot the gunman can open up grab opportunities. It can also block weaker projectiles and give you a quick dash attack opportunity if you catch someone with the hit.The Clay Pigeon is good if your opponents are at a slight distance, the lag on the throw can leave you open if someone is too close.

Learn how to get hard reads for your smash attacks. Don't rely on them too much to the point where people will be expecting it, but usmash is good if you can get someone who is jumping back on stage after grabbing the ledge. Fsmashes are slightly trickier to pull off, however they're awesome for punishing characters that have a decent amount of ending lag. Dsmash is a decent tool at catching people who are roll happy.

Nair and Uair are both great tools that kill at higher percents. If you really want be flashy, dair an opponent that's on the ground at just over 100% and then uair them for the kill if they don't tech the bounce. It's hilarious.

The last match of this set (starts at about 9:51) shows how awesome Duck Hunt really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAoTy000XxU

Roflfox fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 17, 2015

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Reiley posted:

Not really, considering his clickbait misleading video title. Garbage data is being loaded in and attempted to be called by the game as Special Moves. they are not Customs, Mewtwo has no customs and given that Nintendo appears to plan to do at least Lucas and Roy you can expect more DLC characters with a single set of B moves.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

zolthorg posted:

Not really, considering his clickbait misleading video title. Garbage data is being loaded in and attempted to be called by the game as Special Moves. they are not Customs, Mewtwo has no customs and given that Nintendo appears to plan to do at least Lucas and Roy you can expect more DLC characters with a single set of B moves.

I wonder what this will do for the tournament scene and custom moves.

It basically puts people who use those characters at a huge disadvantage.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I don't think it'll make any difference for customs tourneys, if you play those characters you're just stuck with their normal moves. What other effect could it have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Yeah, so far for tournaments (EVO and others) the ruling is that any characters that don't have custom moves just only have default. It sucks, but that's the hand Nintendo dealt us. To be honest Mewtwo is looking pretty meh competitively so far, I don't know if some amazing custom move could make him good, but there have been plenty of characters so far (Diddy, Shiek, ZSS, and Sonic at least) that perform very well without customs. Even if no DLC characters ever have customs, they could still end up performing quite well.

• Locked thread