Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyst
Aug 25, 2009

C2C - 2.0 posted:

If you have a successful college baseball program, then there's some appreciable expense attached to it.

If you don't, you don't see the reason why college baseball should exist.

Like college wrestling basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jeremor posted:

Most American Team

We need somebody in the playoff every year that represents our great nation's highest ideals, such as camo uniforms and american flags and poo poo like that.

Navy it is.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

No one should feel "pretty conflicted" about any apparel that displays "gently caress Ole Miss".

Unless they believe "Go to Hell Ole Miss" to be the proper parlance.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

vyst posted:

Like college wrestling basically

Baseball, hockey, wrestling, and lacrosse all fall into the 'really big deal in some places, nonexistent in others' zone. Regional sports.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Why college baseball doesn't make sense is that there's approxmiately 47,000 minor league teams in 500 leagues

My home town is such a tiny shithole that it doesn't even have a Starbucks, but has a minor league baseball team.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The real thing I don't get about college baseball is how much of a loving special flower it is with regards to amateurism. Oh, sure let me just enter the MLB draft and get drafted a couple, and still come back and play cause the loving Cubs drafted me. How does that not violate of the rules? Also, how can you go play minor league ball for a few years, then come back and play football, but if someone buys you a pack of gum, your eligibility is in doubt?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I would be totally fine with Navy in the Natty if they wear those baller as hell uniforms again

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Some numbers came out and for Michigan's season finale against Maryland they gave out 17,000 tickets for free.

*edit* And granted the numbers from scanning tickets aren't completely accurate but they only scanned 56,617 as coming into the stadium for the same game.

Detroit_Dogg fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 17, 2015

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Tulane dismissed their strength and conditioning coach for having " disciplined the bowler by having them run after being an hour late to practice. Apparently, some people view that from of punishment as too harsh, which led to a parent complaint, and ultimately Sharpe’s dismissal."
http://footballscoop.com/news/tulane-strength-coach-fired-for-using-running-as-discipline-method/

This is one of the crazier reasons I've heard of a coach getting fired. I'm willing to bet the parent that complained must either be a large donor or threatened to bring a hazing lawsuit against Tulane. The real athletes seem pissed. I now dislike Tulane's bowling team.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Some numbers came out and for Michigan's season finale against Maryland they gave out 17,000 tickets for free.

*edit* And granted the numbers from scanning tickets aren't completely accurate but they only scanned 56,617 as coming into the stadium for the same game.

That's a lot of coke bottles

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Spacebump posted:

Tulane dismissed their strength and conditioning coach for having " disciplined the bowler by having them run after being an hour late to practice. Apparently, some people view that from of punishment as too harsh, which led to a parent complaint, and ultimately Sharpe’s dismissal."
http://footballscoop.com/news/tulane-strength-coach-fired-for-using-running-as-discipline-method/

This is one of the crazier reasons I've heard of a coach getting fired. I'm willing to bet the parent that complained must either be a large donor or threatened to bring a hazing lawsuit against Tulane. The real athletes seem pissed. I now dislike Tulane's bowling team.

Strength and conditioning coach for the....... bowling team?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Frinkahedron posted:

Strength and conditioning coach for the....... bowling team?

Lotta 12-ounce wrist curls between frames, man.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I guess we should just roll over and let ISIS take over because America officially died when "making someone run laps for being late to practice" is now considered too harsh

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I'm shocked they didn't just pawn the bowling team off on a GA, frankly.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I was late to track and field practice once in highschool, I had to run laps in the rain.

This in no way was related to me quitting the team two weeks later

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Maybe the coach was also a huge dick like a dozen other times and this was just the thing that made the kid's parent make some noise.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

I was late to track and field practice once in highschool, I had to run laps in the rain.

Hrm.

Hrm.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Sash! posted:

Baseball needs a big fancy building and men's soccer means a bunch of scholarships you have to find in other sports for the ladies. That's why there's so few hockey teams, and you have to go both men's and women's if you get hockey. Lady soccer soaks up a bunch of the lady scholarships you have to have.
Yeah, the answer to why so many schools have women's soccer teams (and fewer have men's teams) is Title IX. Requires relatively little capital expenditure, soaks up a bunch of scholarships to counterbalance the football team, and youth soccer is enough of a thing that you can find players.

And then the national team pulls from all the college players and suddenly the USA is a major power at the Women's World Cup.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
So that's a dumb reason to fire your S&C gal but cmon, making bowlers run? Maybe tone down the hardass on a glorified club sport.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Sash! posted:

I guess we should just roll over and let ISIS take over because America officially died when "making someone run laps for being late to practice" is now considered too harsh

you know something is hosed if sash and i sort of agree about it

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Glumslinger posted:

The real thing I don't get about college baseball is how much of a loving special flower it is with regards to amateurism. Oh, sure let me just enter the MLB draft and get drafted a couple, and still come back and play cause the loving Cubs drafted me. How does that not violate of the rules? Also, how can you go play minor league ball for a few years, then come back and play football, but if someone buys you a pack of gum, your eligibility is in doubt?

I think part of it has to do with how incredibly difficult it is to make it to the bigs compared to the other sports, and the depth of the draft.

It works out well, I think. Gives the kids some time to think about whether they need the money and want to chase it to the majors, or if they want to refine their game in college and get an education.

Much of that answer lies in draft position, which after the first round is so incredibly precarious. It's nice to allow them to make an informed decision.

The part where you can play major league baseball and college football at the same time is pretty weird though. Not sure how that's an exemption. Like Roscoe Crosby was in the the Royals' farm system and played at Clemson--but Jeremy Whatever from Colorado got stripped of eligibility for being in the Olympics right?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

College hockey does this too. Players get drafted by teams but won't sign them to contracts until they're done at college. I suppose part of it is because the drafts for the NHL (and especially MLB) are goddamned enormous and a lot of the draftees only stay in the minors or rookie leagues.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

I think part of it has to do with how incredibly difficult it is to make it to the bigs compared to the other sports, and the depth of the draft.

It works out well, I think. Gives the kids some time to think about whether they need the money and want to chase it to the majors, or if they want to refine their game in college and get an education.

Much of that answer lies in draft position, which after the first round is so incredibly precarious. It's nice to allow them to make an informed decision.

The part where you can play major league baseball and college football at the same time is pretty weird though. Not sure how that's an exemption. Like Roscoe Crosby was in the the Royals' farm system and played at Clemson--but Jeremy Whatever from Colorado got stripped of eligibility for being in the Olympics right?

I think he could be in the olympics but it's pretty much impossible to train as a trick skiier without Mountain Dew Code Red or Red Bull picking up the tab. They had a problem with him getting endorsements for his skiing career.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I think he could be in the olympics but it's pretty much impossible to train as a trick skiier without Mountain Dew Code Red or Red Bull picking up the tab. They had a problem with him getting endorsements for his skiing career.

Right--the endorsements would've made him ineligible for football, but Crosby could accept MLB $$ without losing amateur status for football.

Weird distinction.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
That is a really bizarre distinction- you can be a professional baseball player without losing your amateur status for NCAA football.

On another note I caught The Blind Side again recently and every coach that appears in that movie hasn't been with the team they are representing in like 10 years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chris Low of ESPN saying Arkansas' starting O-line averages 6'5" and 320lbs. Goddamn.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
GT fanbase is entering panic mode as B-Back CJ Leggett had an MRI yesterday and apparently the news is not good. No official word yet, but "informed" people seem to be counting him out for the season and a message he left on his instagram is not encouraging. Our BB stable is now a converted LB and two walk-ons.

Stanford RB Patrick Skov is making an official visit to campus and could potentially transfer. If he wants the starting job, he'll probably get it.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 17, 2015

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

DJExile posted:

Chris Low of ESPN saying Arkansas' starting O-line averages 6'5" and 320lbs. Goddamn.

Yeah, their identity is a straight power run team from what I've seen last season, doesn't surprise me that they want to get the big boys out there to open holes up. Still, 6'5" @ 320lbs is freaking huge.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah, their identity is a straight power run team from what I've seen last season, doesn't surprise me that they want to get the big boys out there to open holes up. Still, 6'5" @ 320lbs is freaking huge.

Maybe they'll win three league games this year!

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Jim Delany just released a 12 page paper arguing for the ineligibility of freshman.

BOY HOWDY LET'S TRY AND SINK THIS CONFERENCE

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I remain completely indifferent on the idea of freshman ineligibility. If anything I'm for it as a "gently caress you" to the NBA and its rule that creates one and dones. Let the NBA do its own scouting.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Jim Delany just released a 12 page paper arguing for the ineligibility of freshman.

I picture Jim Delaney petting a white cat thinking "With the hockey and NBA playoffs in full swing plus MLB starting up I should do something to remind people that they hate me"

We should go back to the good old days when they only let each team play on TV three times per year while we're at it. Somehow I don't think Delaney would be nostalgic for that.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

College baseball owns, even though our current coach took the keys to a Ferrari and promptly ran it into the first brick wall he saw.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

BOY HOWDY LET'S TRY AND SINK THIS CONFERENCE

The said thing is I've read the ACC and Pac-12 are supportive of this as well, though obviously not leading the charge like the Big Ten is.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
The two best teams in the conference had pretty big impact players as freshman but who cares, obviously they're too young to hang with the big boys says Uncle Jimmy D

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ga Tech got their Orange Bowl rings and they say STATE CHAMPS on one side

Lol

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
jostens strikes again

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DJExile posted:

Ga Tech got their Orange Bowl rings and they say STATE CHAMPS on one side

Lol

We have a hell of an inferiority complex.

(this year we're undefeated against teams from Georgia in football, men's basketball, and baseball :smug:)

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Pakled posted:

We have a hell of an inferiority complex.

(this year we're undefeated against teams from Georgia in football, men's basketball, and baseball :smug:)

We swept UF.

But not Miami :smith:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

pillsburysoldier posted:

We swept UF.

But not Miami :smith:

we won a baseball game against you

also our gymnastics team is good :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Detroit_Dogg posted:

The two best teams in the conference had pretty big impact players as freshman but who cares, obviously they're too young to hang with the big boys says Uncle Jimmy D

If it weren't for true freshmen players being eligible the most recent big ten football title would be like 1997.

• Locked thread