Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JibberJabberwocky
Mar 24, 2012

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/homeless-man-finds-forgotten-bank-account-with-enough-money-for-a-house-085648857.html

I get that this is a person who actually probably could not easily get an apartment rented to him and who made a decision that depending on area might be quite valid. But when I see "sudden windfall of money, better buy a house", it still seems wrong. :(

I managed to persuade family members NOT to buy a house in the rear end end of nowhere as a flipping investment, and to put their money into, you know, actual investments. It is a losing battle though and I watch school friends buy houses in horrible places.

Like, what I can't drive home is that the analysis of whether or not buying a house will "save you money" is just that, a mathematical analysis. You can figure out, at least to a reasonable degree of accuracy, whether it is a better deal for you to rent vs. own, by figuring the comparable costs. It is not always presumptively true that owning is better than renting. EVEN if you buy and own your house/condo/whatever with no mortgage, it is not presumptively true that the effect on your net worth will be more positive than renting and investing.

It is just people are not willing to calculate the chance lost on the money sunk into a house - because houses can only go up, and only by far more than any other investment platform, of course.

Only and always up uP UP!

JibberJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I visited a friend last weekend who bought a townhome in Langley. There was nowhere to park because the 2 visitor parking spaces were used.

This is in Langley. In a townhouse built in the 90s.

Where there's a shortage of land because

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

OhYeah posted:

I'm on fire!

If only this were true.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JibberJabberwocky posted:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/homeless-man-finds-forgotten-bank-account-with-enough-money-for-a-house-085648857.html

I get that this is a person who actually probably could not easily get an apartment rented to him and who made a decision that depending on area might be quite valid. But when I see "sudden windfall of money, better buy a house", it still seems wrong. :(

I managed to persuade family members NOT to buy a house in the rear end end of nowhere as a flipping investment, and to put their money into, you know, actual investments. It is a losing battle though and I watch school friends buy houses in horrible places.

Like, what I can't drive home is that the analysis of whether or not buying a house will "save you money" is just that, a mathematical analysis. You can figure out, at least to a reasonable degree of accuracy, whether it is a better deal for you to rent vs. own, by figuring the comparable costs. It is not always presumptively true that owning is better than renting. EVEN if you buy and own your house/condo/whatever with no mortgage, it is not presumptively true that the effect on your net worth will be more positive than renting and investing.

It is just people are not willing to calculate the chance lost on the money sunk into a house - because houses can only go up, and only by far more than any other investment platform, of course.

Only and always up uP UP!

Much like tax brackets are the unknowable sorcery of tax time, so to is opportunity cost to home ownership. (Maintainence, property taxes and strata fees as well.)

If you search this thread I am pretty sure you'll find a post where someone poo-pooed the cost delta between rent/owning since you would just spend the difference on iPhones anyways. There's a certain elegance to that argument.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

OhYeah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI7As3rOogo

PS. Please don't consider me a misogynist. I'm just speaking in the context of my country where HR departments seem to be exclusively run by those kind of girls. Really, I don't hate women. Some of my best friends are women. *

* Dropped in another somewhat obscure (if you are a moron) reference. I'm on fire!

Ffffemales... :mrapig:

But seriously :fuckoff:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah that's what my friends in the military that aren't house-crazy tell me. The military pushes and subsidizes ownership out of a desperate attempt to force the man-children they employ to not blow all their money on trucks or muscle cars or home theatre equipment or 3 divorces or what ever the gently caress those idiots blow all their money on. Even if they lose half the value in their house, the Troop spending $2000 a month on a mortgage will at least have something at the end, while the brave soldier spending $1000 a month on rent spent that other $1000 on a 2nd truck to pull his first truck out when it gets stuck muddin'. The military doesn't want to deal with employees in constant debt because they're a security risk. Huge outstanding debts and being generally garbage with money is one of the top things security clearances look at.

Basically the military knows houses are a bad investment, but it's better than no investment.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

OhYeah posted:

PS. Please don't consider me a misogynist.
:siren::mrapig::siren:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It's time I did some rich hatin' this week

quote:

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – BC had Canada’s biggest retail sales gain in February, with figures from Statistics Canada today showing an 11.8 per cent increase from a year earlier — its first double-digit gain in years — and a 5.9 per cent increase from the previous month.

Retailers in this province racked up $5.9 billion of sales. Stats Can says BC experienced “widespread gains across most store types.”

Nationwide, there was a better-than-expected rise in retail sales: 2.5 per cent from a year earlier to $42.2 billion.

Stats Can says “Gains were widespread as all 11 retail subsectors reported higher sales,” with new motor vehicles increasing after four months of declines.

The biggest percentage gain was at sporting goods stores, which were up 8.4 per cent, while department stores rose 1.9 per cent.

http://m.news1130.com/2015/04/17/bc-had-biggest-retail-sales-gain-in-the-country-in-february-stats-can/

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

I don't know about that smiley, it looks kind of disquieting.

But seriously, do you I have to now prove to you that I'm not, in fact, a misogynist? I have never ever seen that been successfully done on an internet forum.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's great, people's incomes must be up and the economy doing well.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

OhYeah posted:

I don't know about that smiley, it looks kind of disquieting.

But seriously, do you I have to now prove to you that I'm not, in fact, a misogynist? I have never ever seen that been successfully done on an internet forum.

*Is literally a giant, steaming turd* Hay guies, how can I prove I'm not a huge piece of poo poo??? :qq:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ocrumsprug posted:

Much like tax brackets are the unknowable sorcery of tax time, so to is opportunity cost to home ownership. (Maintainence, property taxes and strata fees as well.)

If you search this thread I am pretty sure you'll find a post where someone poo-pooed the cost delta between rent/owning since you would just spend the difference on iPhones anyways. There's a certain elegance to that argument.
But then you have an iPhone. :confused:

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

*Is literally a giant, steaming turd* Hay guies, how can I prove I'm not a huge piece of poo poo??? :qq:

Seriously, where is this coming from? Because I made a comment based on not only personal experience but several people working in the same field? What the gently caress do you know about the location where I'm from, how things are run here (for better or for worse)? gently caress-all. Because I said that I have noticed that certain positions in certain companies - some of whom I know personally - have been filled with certain people I get labelled a "giant, steaming turd"?

Stick to talking about Canadian real estate and stop labelling people, jumping to conclusions an being a general tosser. It's fine to call out someone on a bad joke, but what you did is loving moronic.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

OhYeah posted:

Seriously, where is this coming from? Because I made a comment based on not only personal experience but several people working in the same field? What the gently caress do you know about the location where I'm from, how things are run here (for better or for worse)? gently caress-all. Because I said that I have noticed that certain positions in certain companies - some of whom I know personally - have been filled with certain people I get labelled a "giant, steaming turd"?

Stick to talking about Canadian real estate and stop labelling people, jumping to conclusions an being a general tosser. It's fine to call out someone on a bad joke, but what you did is loving moronic.

You said a bunch of misogynistic poo poo, pretty much everyone who commented on your dumb post called you on it, if you want to know who to blame here look in the mirror buddy.

"If you run into an rear end in a top hat you just ran into an rear end in a top hat, if you run into nothing but assholes you're the rear end in a top hat."

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

OhYeah posted:

Stick to talking about Canadian real estate and stop labelling people,
:lol:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

OhYeah posted:

D&D isn't for off the cuff jokes, stick to GBS/FYAD for the serious joke telling.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Baronjutter posted:

That's great, people's incomes must be up and the economy doing well.

Oh awesome that means it's time to buy a house right?

No wait, you're supposed to buy houses when the economy is poo poo and things are cheap

But I have more income when the economy is good!

Hrm.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
If by income you mean access to cheap debt then yes

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Seriously I think we've reached a point in capitalism where we are post-money.

2 br available in my building for 700k. lol

Here's how much people in my neighborhood make.

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 17, 2015

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You said a bunch of misogynistic poo poo, pretty much everyone who commented on your dumb post called you on it, if you want to know who to blame here look in the mirror buddy.

"If you run into an rear end in a top hat you just ran into an rear end in a top hat, if you run into nothing but assholes you're the rear end in a top hat."

What was the bunch of "misogynistic stuff" that I said? Listen, I've got a some news to tell you. Rich, well-connected and good-looking women don't need your protection on an internet forum. They're fine.

Instead, let me ask you one simple thing. What was the last, even the smallest thing you did to help (in any way or form) a woman who has suffered from mental or physical abuse? There was a courtcase just recently where the charges were dropped under dubious circumstances regarding an attempted group rape of a underage girl. I wrote to the judges, the prosecutor and a member of the parliament who I voted for in the last election, a former minister. I talked to my colleagues and urged them to do the same.

Whenever my friend sends me buzzfeed-style articles regarding "men's rights groups", I tell him piss off. I'm living together with a woman who is smarter than me, more educated than me but sadly not earning more than me. I have no problem admitting that. I have a beautiful, smart and independent step-daughter whose confidence I've tried to boost every way I can so she wouldn't settle for anything mediocre. Seems to be working because she's 16 and living literally across the globe alone in a completely foreign environment by herself, months at a time.

Most of my friends in high-school were girls, most of my colleagues now are women. Even my two cats are female. But I guess you guys saw right through me, the cruel women-hater that I am.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
shut the gently caress

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Jesus can we get this sick filth out of this thread and go back to talking about how much we hate people who are marginally more wealthy than the rest of us?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Canada March Core Inflation Fastest in More Than Six Years

by Greg Quinn, bloomberg.com
April 17

Canada’s core inflation rate was the fastest in more than six years in March, led by rising costs for everything from a text message to fresh meat and a new car.

The core consumer price index, which excludes gasoline and seven other items with volatile prices, quickened to 2.4 percent from 2.1 percent in February, the fastest since November 2008, Statistics Canada reported Friday from Ottawa.

The Bank of Canada policy makers predicted on Wednesday inflation will return to target in the first quarter of 2016, about a year earlier than they forecast in January, citing a weaker currency that is making imports more expensive.

“Today’s data lends support to the Bank of Canada’s fresh bias, but there’s a lot of data still to be covered,” said Derek Holt, Scotiabank’s vice-president of economics.

Total inflation accelerated to 1.2 percent from 1 percent. Economists predicted core and total inflation would rise 2.1 percent and 1 percent, according to median forecasts in Bloomberg surveys.

The central bank kept its key lending rate at 0.75 percent this week for a second meeting after a surprise January cut. The economy is gaining momentum after a plunge in oil prices caused first-quarter output to stall, the bank said.

Passenger vehicle prices swung to a 1.8 percent rise in March from a year earlier after falling at a 1 percent pace in February. Meat costs rose 11.8 percent and telephone services by 6.3 percent, Statistics Canada said.

Core Rate

Canada’s currency appreciated after the inflation report, climbing as much as 0.8 percent to C$1.2088 per U.S. dollar, the strongest since Jan. 21. Yields on benchmark government two-year bonds rose 4 basis points to 0.62 percent, the third straight increase.

The central bank sets interest rates to keep inflation in the middle of a 1 percent to 3 percent band. The core rate has exceeded 2 percent since August. The total inflation rate is down from 2.4 percent in October.

The Bank of Canada’s latest forecast boosted the path of inflation over the next year, to 1 percent in the first quarter from a January prediction of 0.5 percent. Consumer price gains will slow to 0.8 percent in the second quarter and quicken to 2.1 percent at the start of 2016, according to this week’s Monetary Policy Report.

Gasoline fell 19.2 percent in March from 12 months earlier, less than the February pace of 21.8 percent, Statistics Canada said. On a monthly basis, gasoline costs rose 6.3 percent in March after February’s 9.4 percent increase.

Exceeds Forecasts

Excluding gasoline, the inflation rate rose 2.2 percent in March from 12 months earlier, the same pace as in February.

On a monthly basis, total inflation rose 0.7 percent in March and the core rate rose 0.6 percent. Both increases exceeded economist forecasts for gains of 0.6 percent and 0.3 percent.

Seasonally adjusted inflation rose 0.4 percent in March for both total and core.

Governor Stephen Poloz has said inflation is being hit by several pressures including a weaker currency that makes imported goods more expensive, the drop in energy prices and industry-specific changes in costs for meat and telecommunications services. Prices are also being held down by the significant slack in the economy that won’t disappear until the end of next year, the bank said this week.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-17/canada-march-core-inflation-is-fastest-in-more-than-six-years

This is really good news. Time for a rate hike right?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

OhYeah posted:

What was the bunch of "misogynistic stuff" that I said? Listen, I've got a some news to tell you. Rich, well-connected and good-looking women don't need your protection on an internet forum. They're fine.

Instead, let me ask you one simple thing. What was the last, even the smallest thing you did to help (in any way or form) a woman who has suffered from mental or physical abuse? There was a courtcase just recently where the charges were dropped under dubious circumstances regarding an attempted group rape of a underage girl. I wrote to the judges, the prosecutor and a member of the parliament who I voted for in the last election, a former minister. I talked to my colleagues and urged them to do the same.

Whenever my friend sends me buzzfeed-style articles regarding "men's rights groups", I tell him piss off. I'm living together with a woman who is smarter than me, more educated than me but sadly not earning more than me. I have no problem admitting that. I have a beautiful, smart and independent step-daughter whose confidence I've tried to boost every way I can so she wouldn't settle for anything mediocre. Seems to be working because she's 16 and living literally across the globe alone in a completely foreign environment by herself, months at a time.

Most of my friends in high-school were girls, most of my colleagues now are women. Even my two cats are female. But I guess you guys saw right through me, the cruel women-hater that I am.
For someone who made a hyperbolic internet post on a comedy forum you sure take hyperbolic posts on internet comedy forums seriously as personal attacks. No one cares about you, your joke generalization of HR departments was just mysogynistic and in poor taste.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Sweet, so not only are a bunch of people out of work, the price of poo poo is going up faster than expected, and no one else gets a raise because of "the economy".

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

OhYeah posted:

Keep on digging that hole Mr. "Women who work in HR are all dumb whores who hosed their way to the top"

ZShakespeare posted:

Jesus can we get this sick filth out of this thread and go back to talking about how much we hate people who are marginally more wealthy than the rest of us?

Yeah, sorry, I'll stop replying to the shitposter.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Engaging a shitposter over a stupid derail is like buying in the Vancouver housing market and complaining prices are high. You're only encouraging more of it!
With a little self control we could both eliminate poo poo posting and Vancouver.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

Seriously I think we've reached a point in capitalism where we are post-money.

2 br available in my building for 700k. lol

Here's how much people in my neighborhood make.

Real estate in Vancity is for investors, we are post middle class ownership. Judging the incomes in your area, the middle class must live very frugal lives out there given the rents.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

OhYeah posted:

People here are idiots it's pretty simple.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OhYeah posted:

Okay, I have a question: Are you just trying to satirize other people on the internet who make retarded defenses of their own sexism? This is a serious question, I honestly can't tell.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Keep on digging that hole Mr. "Women who work in HR are all dumb whores who hosed their way to the top"

Yes, because that's exactly what I said.

Ervin K posted:

Okay, I have a question: Are you just trying to satirize other people on the internet who make retarded defenses of their own sexism? This is a serious question, I honestly can't tell.

No.

tsa posted:

People here are idiots it's pretty simple.

Yes.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
:siren::siren::siren:
:siren::mrapig::siren:

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah ok, I was going to say that your satire is over hyperbolic and even most actual sexists are way more self aware than this but nevermind I guess.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Ervin K posted:

Ah ok, I was going to say that your satire is over hyperbolic and even most actual sexists are way more self aware than this but nevermind I guess.

I think I begin to understand why D&D, and some threads in particular, is avoided by so many posters on SA. Calling someone a sexist and a rapist based on what I said... Jesus. I don't even know what to say.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Shut the gently caress up you idiots

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
:siren::siren::siren:...................................:effort::redhammer:
:siren::mrapig::siren: :downswords:

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

Shut the gently caress up you idiots

Still better than the Eastern Europe thread. Once the OPer came back to find 500 new posts about cheese and homosexuals. He thought possibly the 3rd World War had started while he was gone.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Ignore the fedora-wearing moron, guys. We're here to talk about securities not insecurities like this MRA'r.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

When the bubble bursts they'll only be able to afford trillbys and lament not being able to build fedora equity.

On the subject of a couple moving to YVR, the illustrious FP suggests the following:

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/news/blog.html?b=business.financialpost.com/personal-finance/family-finance/allentuck-saturday-april-18&pubdate=2015-04-17 posted:

Buying a house is probably the better investment strategy. It would be leveraged on a mortgage loan at what would be low rates for at least several years, would provide shelter and could be sold with no tax on the capital gain on a principal residence. Frances would have to return to employment to help pay for it and they would be house poor for a long time. If they rent, they will have abundant liquid capital, lots of choices for their children, yet they will be at the mercy of rent increases, potential evictions and the inability to take capital gains on the property they occupy.

:downs:

E. Phone posting is hard

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

OhYeah posted:

Still better than the Eastern Europe thread. Once the OPer came back to find 500 new posts about cheese and homosexuals. He thought possibly the 3rd World War had started while he was gone.

People are, by and large, unforgiving on somethingawful, especially because they only see you as text on a screen and are perfectly fine with otherizing you as not a real person. Hell, even if they did personally know you, most people seem to live by the creed "suck one cock and you'll always be a cocksucker" when judging others. Let it go, brah. In two or three pages there will be a couple people who will remember you with a nice hateboner for you, but otherwise it'll be forgotten.

Though I will agree with the general idea that HR departments are full of idiots who don't understand what they are doing. I'm not sure the U.S. has so many young women in HR as Estonia working in HR roles.