Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's outright stated multiple times he's more manipulative than mind control because he can tell you exactly what you need to hear to do his bidding. And he's been hinted at being up to some shady stuff.

Honestly, what would make a real twist would be a reveal that he was actually being honest the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

A man so good and used to manipulating people probably can't stop doing it. The only time he can be mostly honest is on the phone, because then his words aren't catered specifically to your brain.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If were unable to stop reading peoples minds and seeing how they would respond to any given thing, it might not even feel manipulative. It could be just like having a GPS navigator for getting what you want, giving directions on what to say at any given moment to get to get the conversations where you want it to go. Considering the RL examples of people blindly following GPS navigators over the edges of cliffs or similar bad ends, it is entirely possible that he could be saying outright lies without even being aware of it unless he gets caught on it.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
His face often seems to display genuine emotion around Alison, even when she can't see it. When he turns her romantic advances down hard in the hotel, for example, he seems sad. I think he really likes Alison. I think he's probably completely genuine in wanting to figure out the conspiracy and change the world.

He is also manipulative and almost certainly doing Bad Stuff.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

nimby posted:

A man so good and used to manipulating people probably can't stop doing it. The only time he can be mostly honest is on the phone, because then his words aren't catered specifically to your brain.

Or, presumably, in conversations with several people with various opposing viewpoints. That poo poo's gotta get confusing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Hypocrisy posted:

There is no conspiracy. Patrick is just one of those guys who can't handle us living in a cruel, uncaring world.

I'm going to go ahead and throw out "the conspiracy is really just a stand-alone complex caused by people not being ready to adapt to a rapidly changing world and that's why he can't find it."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm going to go ahead and throw out "the conspiracy is really just a stand-alone complex caused by people not being ready to adapt to a rapidly changing world and that's why he can't find it."

The conspiracy is absolutely real. There's no other way to really explain detailed dossiers about super powered insividuals and eliminating them before anyone knew super powers were a thing. The storm is definitely man made.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Captain Oblivious posted:

The conspiracy is absolutely real. There's no other way to really explain detailed dossiers about super powered insividuals and eliminating them before anyone knew super powered individuals knew they had super powers. The storm is definitely man made.
unless he fabricated the files

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

unless he fabricated the files

Possible but I don't think it really fits with the themes of the comic. That would kind of validate the whole superhero/super villain paradigm.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm pretty sure he created those dossiers himself while trying to find people with world-shaking powers (and learning holy poo poo they're all dead)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Tollymain posted:

i'm pretty sure he created those dossiers himself while trying to find people with world-shaking powers (and learning holy poo poo they're all dead)

Yeah, this seems most likely. If he'd managed to get his hands on the conspiracy's files, he'd have a lot more insight into them than he does.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Of course, he also still had to get that information, and this is on people that died before anyone knew there was such a thing as super powers. So he must have dug deep enough to find something.

I generally don't subscribe to the idea that Patrick is just leading Alison on for an evil scheme. It would mean that everything that has happened in the comic has been in service of the same childish teenage fantasy this whole thing has been busily making GBS threads on. Supervillains are just as ridiculous as superheroes.
If anything I figure his supervillain phase, if it was ever more than just a phase, was in service of whatever goal he's pursuing now. He would have been in a unique position to know exactly how people would react to learning super powers really exist and may well have jumped quickly at the chance to do damage control, either with fear or with a relatable narrative, whichever the whole Menace thing served better to provide.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
The question that interests me is, how much could Patrick refrain from being "manipulative" even if he wanted to? I'm sure he has no idea how he would act if he couldn't read your mind, so it's not like he can just decide to act that way. He seems to know automatically more or less how you'll respond to anything he does, so however you respond, you're doing what he wanted.

He could shoot himself in the foot occasionally in a condescending attempt at fair play, though it seems pretty silly and pointless. He could set some unusually stringent personal rules about lying. He could come up with guidelines like "If it takes me more than ten seconds to figure out how not to make someone mad, they probably deserve to be mad." But even if he took this stuff very seriously, I suspect he'd still be a slippery eel who gets most of what he wants, and there's not much to be done except to hope he wants good things.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

McNerd posted:

The question that interests me is, how much could Patrick refrain from being "manipulative" even if he wanted to? I'm sure he has no idea how he would act if he couldn't read your mind, so it's not like he can just decide to act that way. He seems to know automatically more or less how you'll respond to anything he does, so however you respond, you're doing what he wanted.

He could shoot himself in the foot occasionally in a condescending attempt at fair play, though it seems pretty silly and pointless. He could set some unusually stringent personal rules about lying. He could come up with guidelines like "If it takes me more than ten seconds to figure out how not to make someone mad, they probably deserve to be mad." But even if he took this stuff very seriously, I suspect he'd still be a slippery eel who gets most of what he wants, and there's not much to be done except to hope he wants good things.

I believe this is exactly the reason Patrick rebuffed Alison at the motel. Manipulating people probably comes so effortlessly to Patrick that he might view any romance as being creepily unequal and have a personal rule against it. Even if he wasn't also hiding ugly secrets from Alison, which he clearly is.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

McNerd posted:

I think he would have avoided using the phrase "taken over the world" if he was 100% the perfect manipulator. For that matter, Alison wouldn't be so mad and resentful at him if that was the case.

His telepathy is probably ultimately like another sense--it's always going to be on, for better or worse, but that doesn't mean he can always interpret all the information it's giving him, or even always know how best to act on it. Sometimes there is the glaring red "do this" there, but I imagine most people's minds aren't always so straightforward that he can know exactly what to do all the time without specifically ferreting it out.

But mostly, this conversation is emotionally charged for him too. It's getting at the heart of his interests, desires, and ego in a way that possibly no one but Alison can. So he can see exactly what Alison's thinking, he could think of the optimal way to respond to it--but like any of us in an emotional moment, he's forgetting what he "should" say in favor of what he wants to say.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
:stare: Starting to feel like this whole thing might have triggered a nervous breakdown in Patrick.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

reignonyourparade posted:

:stare: Starting to feel like this whole thing might have triggered a nervous breakdown in Patrick.

I think he really cares about Alison, and her emotional suspicion or even outright rejection of him is really hurting him, I think.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Gotta say I was wrong. Don't think Patrick is trying to manipulate her now, he might be on the verge of throwing himself out of the window here.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Now kiss! :allears:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I can't help but wonder, is Moonshadow trailing Allison right now?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I love it when Patrick indulges his villain monologues. :swoon:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

nimby posted:

Gotta say I was wrong. Don't think Patrick is trying to manipulate her now, he might be on the verge of throwing himself out of the window here.

Yeah he is most definitely not some David Xanatos figure right now. :stare:

His last line seems to be criticizing Allison for thinking sympathetic thoughts about him if I'm not misreading it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Warmachine posted:

I love it when Patrick indulges his villain monologues. :swoon:

Really? Because I think it's another part of how the writing has gone straight down the drain in this chapter and the last.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fried Chicken posted:

Really? Because I think it's another part of how the writing has gone straight down the drain in this chapter and the last.

Why for? I think i've been enjoying it more.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Right now the pacing is poo poo. Entire plotlines (Remember Moonshadow? Or the MRA fire guy flat out threatening women on television? How about the Guardians being shut down and Hector alienating himself from Allison? Or Allison herself struggling with what she wants to do?) are being put on hold so characters can literally tell us paragraphs about their worldviews.

I just want stuff to happen. :(

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 17, 2015

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I find the world views more interesting than the strict plot I guess.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

If you can't enjoy a good villainous monologue, then you have no soul. :colbert:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Falstaff posted:

If you can't enjoy a good villainous monologue, then you have no soul. :colbert:

Yeah, but by this point in this chapter I am monologued out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He's arguing with Allison now, but she's not arguing with him. He's so into making his point, that he doesn't finish explaining himself; he's too busy responding to Allison's thoughts about what he's saying.

Also, calling the U.S. one of the bloodiest governments in modern history is a bit much. Probably it was just the first government that Patrick ran into that he didn't like.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also, calling the U.S. one of the bloodiest governments in modern history is a bit much.

Nope, that part is pretty spot on.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SlothfulCobra posted:

He's arguing with Allison now, but she's not arguing with him. He's so into making his point, that he doesn't finish explaining himself; he's too busy responding to Allison's thoughts about what he's saying.

Also, calling the U.S. one of the bloodiest governments in modern history is a bit much. Probably it was just the first government that Patrick ran into that he didn't like.

I mean the US government is pretty far up there in terms of bodycount.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah this doesn't seem like Patrick is trying to monologue at this point, he's just so worked up that he's immediately responding to her thoughts instead of waiting on her to speak.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I mean the US government is pretty far up there in terms of bodycount.

Modern history extends back to the 16th century, and believe me when I say the US government has a lot of catching up to do.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
It must suck being a villain when you can hear everyone within earshot making :jerkbag: motions with their mind any time you monologue. I can't help but wonder why Patrick is being so offputting with this, it seems like it would be trivial for him to word this in a way that would make Allison agree with him rather than think he's a wannabe tyrant with delusions of grandeur. I mean, he probably would have a lot more luck with just a simple rephrasing, saying the same thing except without sounding like he's rejecting the sanctity of life. entirely

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 17, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also, calling the U.S. one of the bloodiest governments in modern history is a bit much.

Spoken like someone who has never read Dick Cheney's mind.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ManlyGrunting posted:

It must suck being a villain when you can hear everyone within earshot making :jerkbag: motions with their mind any time you monologue. I can't help but wonder why Patrick is being so offputting with this, it seems like it would be trivial for him to word this in a way that would make Allison agree with him rather than think he's a wannabe tyrant with delusions of grandeur. I mean, he probably would have a lot more luck with just a simple rephrasing, saying the same thing except without sounding like he's rejecting the sanctity of life. entirely

Perhaps because he is not a robot and cannot think at the speed of a computer. Judging by previous comments about how he doesn't consider himself human in combination with this monologue I get the feeling Patrick has a lot of existential angst about how his power renders him unable to live like everyone else.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

And he desperately craves the approval of the woman he's attracted to, who is one of the few people who is not afraid of him.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManlyGrunting posted:

I can't help but wonder why Patrick is being so offputting with this, it seems like it would be trivial for him to word this in a way that would make Allison agree with him rather than think he's a wannabe tyrant with delusions of grandeur. I mean, he probably would have a lot more luck with just a simple rephrasing, saying the same thing except without sounding like he's rejecting the sanctity of life. entirely

He's a telepath, not a clairvoyant :v:

Also he's just as capable as anybody else of getting wrapped up in how he feels about what he's talking about and worrying more about that than phrasing it in the most effective way

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
These are good points, and I will concede to them. It is interesting that Allison seems to be one of the few people whom he seems to get Patrick to start looking inwards instead of how to expand. But that would be admitting she has a unique quality about her in his eyes :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

ArchangeI posted:

Modern history extends back to the 16th century, and believe me when I say the US government has a lot of catching up to do.

Oh give me a loving break, obviously he means within the last few generations. Christ, you're like the guy who hears someone say "They decimated 'em!" and says "Oh, so they killed one tenth of them? :smuggo: :spergin:"

Jeez.

• Locked thread