Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Literally The Worst posted:

Did Fallen World Chronicle ever come out y/n

Awakening 2e is not yet out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This week's Monday Meeting note says it's in redlines.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Crion posted:

Nick...Blood? Nick Blood. There was a dude working on the WoD MMO named Nick Blood?

Lucious Soulban is still the greatest WoD author name of all time.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

neaden posted:

It's Lucien, but you're still correct. :)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

neaden posted:

I remember watching Serial Experiments Lain, going "what the gently caress did I just watch?" (which seems to be the most common reaction), and then buying a guide to the series mostly on the strength of it being by Lucian Soulban and Bruce Baugh. It, uh, didn't help as much as I thought it might.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Pope Guilty posted:

I remember watching Serial Experiments Lain, going "what the gently caress did I just watch?" (which seems to be the most common reaction), and then buying a guide to the series mostly on the strength of it being by Lucian Soulban and Bruce Baugh. It, uh, didn't help as much as I thought it might.

A shame. You seemed an honest man.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Soulban apparently was one of the lead writers for Far Cry: Blood Dragon, which explains a lot. Or very little.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

You don't seem to understand.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I think it's a close tie between Lucien Soulban and a man literally named Satyros for most oWoD character name IRL.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Satyros didn't change his name until after Changing Breeds, though.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Satyros Phil is developing oMage 20th Anniversary Edition, so he certainly counts post-name-change anyway.

The interesting thing, though, is that as I recall, Lucien Soulban did not change his name. That is his legitimate birth name, Lucien Moussa Shukri Soulban.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SunAndSpring posted:

You don't seem to understand.

Attorney at Funk posted:

A shame. You seemed an honest man.

If these are Lain quotes they're over my head, I saw the series once in like 2002.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Satyros Phil is developing oMage 20th Anniversary Edition, so he certainly counts post-name-change anyway.

The interesting thing, though, is that as I recall, Lucien Soulban did not change his name. That is his legitimate birth name, Lucien Moussa Shukri Soulban.

I remember he worked on Orpheus, one of WW's best gameline. At elast, one of the msot consistently good one.

Then again, it was sort-of a continuation of Wraith, and Wraith was pretty great too. Maybe WW just has a knack for writing stuff about Ghosts? :ghost:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

If these are Lain quotes they're over my head, I saw the series once in like 2002.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PkAQcuZOw

You subconsciously ordered the quotes in the order they come in the song, too.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Thanks for reminding me I need to rewatch Serial Experiments Lain.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I remember he worked on Orpheus, one of WW's best gameline. At elast, one of the msot consistently good one.

IIRC Orpheus, Promethian, and (originally) nHunter were all planned to be limited runs - a core book and then a half dozen or so expanding splats. That honestly seems like the strongest way to deliver material, since you get a much tighter focus than standard treadmill development.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

moths posted:

IIRC Orpheus, Promethian, and (originally) nHunter were all planned to be limited runs - a core book and then a half dozen or so expanding splats. That honestly seems like the strongest way to deliver material, since you get a much tighter focus than standard treadmill development.

Close. Every line in the NWOD besides the big three were set to be limited runs. Changeling just did so well that they gave it another run of books. Also, WW started to fall apart while Geist was in dev so it wound up with a chapter in a bluebook.

OPP seems to be following a similar, if less rigid, model. The main difference is that they aren't limited to a single cycle, so if someone comes up with a great idea for, say, a Demon book or w/e it can still get made.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Just watching Nightcrawler and my god is it good Vampire inspiration - particularly Mekhet. Lou Bloom's utter moral void, his obsessive collecting and his MO being all about observation and infiltration make me think he'd be a perfect VtR character. Beyond that, the way the film presents nocturnal LA makes it generally good VtR inspiration.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Close. Every line in the NWOD besides the big three were set to be limited runs. Changeling just did so well that they gave it another run of books. Also, WW started to fall apart while Geist was in dev so it wound up with a chapter in a bluebook.

OPP seems to be following a similar, if less rigid, model. The main difference is that they aren't limited to a single cycle, so if someone comes up with a great idea for, say, a Demon book or w/e it can still get made.

That's the real strength of the digital/POD model Onyx Path follows, yeah: lines can get as many books as they need/as many as developers have cool ideas for, and since they're not competing for shelf space in stores and the whole collection is always available from DTRPG and the like you get less of that "well, Werewolf hasn't had a book out in six months, it's obviously dead and never coming back!" sentiment that you saw back in the supplement treadmill days. It also means nobody's going "uhhh, poo poo, we need a new Vampire book for October... umm... gently caress, I dunno, let's do a book about vampire gerbils."

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

GimpInBlack posted:

That's the real strength of the digital/POD model Onyx Path follows, yeah: lines can get as many books as they need/as many as developers have cool ideas for, and since they're not competing for shelf space in stores and the whole collection is always available from DTRPG and the like you get less of that "well, Werewolf hasn't had a book out in six months, it's obviously dead and never coming back!" sentiment that you saw back in the supplement treadmill days. It also means nobody's going "uhhh, poo poo, we need a new Vampire book for October... umm... gently caress, I dunno, let's do a book about vampire gerbils."

That explains the two Night Horrors books, three Bloodline books, and two Ancients books :v:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

God dammit I'm getting really pissed at the continued lack of support for my vampire gerbil chronicle.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Daeren posted:

That explains the two Night Horrors books, three Bloodline books, and two Ancients books :v:

I thought the explanation for the Bloodline books was Requiem players viewing them the way D&D players view Prestige Classes.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Daeren posted:

You leave Night Horrors out of this!

Unless you're talking about the Wicked Dead cover cause yikes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Daeren posted:

The Ancient pair was a great set of books, at least, and Night Horrors was generally middling to good. Bloodlines...gave us the Players?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

The Ancient pair was a great set of books, at least, and Night Horrors was generally middling to good. Bloodlines...gave us the Players?

I was fond of the Melissidae, but I'm always a sucker for OH GOD BEES.

(My very first WoD writing ever was in a Bloodlines book. It was not anything cool.)

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, Ancients was good, Night Horrors had some neat ideas, and Bloodlines...well, as said, there were the Players and the Oberlochs and the Melissidae, and some more standouts (the Prince in the long Vampire game I ran was a Taifa with a Sotoha bodyguard), but a lot of them I just sorta forget until I go looking again.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Pope Guilty posted:

I thought the explanation for the Bloodline books was Requiem players viewing them the way D&D players view Prestige Classes.

Frankly they pretty much are prestige classes. I mean, ok, they're the prestige classes with backgrounds and stories and stuff, but they're pretty much just prestige classes.

I am not a big fan of the way Bloodlines work in Requiem.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I really like all the Z splats personally.

Though one of the local branches of one of the big uk larp things once had a venue run a plot where a magic thing needed a 'pure' (non-bloodlined) member of each clan to unlock it. They couldn't do it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The contest one was really good.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The problem with Bloodlines is that they represent a strict upgrade over a base clan, especially if they're one of the ones that just give you a fourth normal Discipline. Yeah, they give you flaws, but so did Dark Secret and No Phone.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Little_wh0re posted:

I really like all the Z splats personally.

Though one of the local branches of one of the big uk larp things once had a venue run a plot where a magic thing needed a 'pure' (non-bloodlined) member of each clan to unlock it. They couldn't do it.

Time to start embracin

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Speaking of Bloodlines, there were three posted on the OPP blog a while back for 2E.

Neglatu, uplifted revenants.

Khaibit, returning from 1E, they've gone from direction-less relics to anti-Strix mercenaries.

Kerberos, ....uh? I don't really know how to describe these, but Ferrinus should love 'em.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I like Bloodlines when they're used to create regional factions and varieties of base Clans, but not when they're used strictly to make a single unique character. I've run about three Requiem games in the last couple of years and I usually establish at the outset which Bloodlines are common in the area before game starts. I doubt I would ever forcibly stop a player from making a character into a particular Bloodline if that's what they wanted to do but I'd almost certainly try to build it into the setting rather than let them be the lone Icarian or whatever just because they thought it sounded cool. Bloodlines should come with family baggage. They are family baggage. If they are divorced from that they quickly lose all meaning.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I completely agree there. My character was in a bloodline in a big Vampire game I played years back, and the way my character, their sire, and their sire's sire dealt with the bloodline curse (you'd uncontrollably transform into a big blind monster in anger frenzy and have a hard time turning back; if you were the oldest member of the bloodline in the local area, you'd be stuck that way indefinitely) was a huge part of the game. I only had the loosest idea of what my bloodline would be going in and my ST really knocked it out of the park (and let me roll up my sleeves and actually develop the mechanics for it as its narrative elements were revealed).

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I've always liked blurring the line between a bloodline and a Bloodline, myself.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bloodlines, much like Legacies in Mage, are probably something you're supposed to have in mind during character creation so you can talk to the GM about what's appropriate to the game and what to include. The DnD prestige class model doesn't quite work because while Purple Dragon Knight can be refluffed to be a knight of whatever, there's probably gonna be some questions about why you suddenly found out you have the blood heritage of being a crazy dude or why you have Doomsday Clock cult magic.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Kerberos, ....uh? I don't really know how to describe these, but Ferrinus should love 'em.

These guys could make an organization of Victorian superheroes, a... club, if you will.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

New Beast blog up, looking into more detail on Hungers and giving some pretty interesting (and less amoral than expected) examples of each.

Tyrants posted:

Ari drives a cab, and he goes to the parts of the city that the other cabbies won’t. He knows every bit of the city — the poor neighborhoods where everyone looks out for each other and the rich neighborhoods where everyone’s a stranger. When he feels his Hunger, he picks someone up and drops them in a place they’ve never seen before, a place where just walking down the street will get them arrested or jumped. He never lets anyone die, though. He just wants each little fish to know how far from its home pond it has strayed.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Kind of like the destruction one the most there, with the specific caveat that it is something that person cares about that you have to destroy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The amount of free rein you apparently have to interpret tyranny, destruction etc makes me think of something like Nobilis - you can do good things, bad things or weird things, so long as they're destructive/tyrannical/whatever things. Makes me quite a bit more interested, as it's a far cry from the 'you have an urge to do horrible things' the preview material sent out. Hopefully they similarly widen the Raptors.