Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

This white invader in Eleum Loyce can suck a garbage bag full of dongs. Fight me head-on like a computer instead of running away to heal like an intelligent being, dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

For all you fashionsoulistas I just found out that large gauntlets get shrunk a bit by the lion mage top because the gauntlets come from inside the sleeves instead of outside and on top.

So, like the smelter demon hands which normally are all huge and wonky get shrunk down to be comparable in size to like the drangleic gauntlets but they look much, much cooler.

I must get a second bone fist to go with my Mannikin faced lion mage stabby fisted dude.

This with double bone fist flynns ring quality build sounds about right. I wonder what fume knight will be like, I've never tried to caestus my way all the way through the game before.

P.S. The gauntlets look way cooler in-game the website doesn't shrink them down right.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 17, 2015

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This is probably a dumb question, but are there any deals involved with buying SotFS if you already own the base game for playstation? I thought steam had some trade in thing based on if you already owned it, but I was curious if there was something similar on playstation?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Stop using Drangleic, it's bad. Don't use heavy armour in general. Stamina regeneration speed is directly reduced by your load%, so keep load as low as you can. Use something like Alva's or elite knight if you really feel the need to wear armour.

Heavy armor was entirely the reason I survived my no death run and I don't even remember how many times it saved my life throughout the run. I used it very frequently on my first playthrough and did just fine too (I probably wore drangleic for half the game). What is bad about heavy armor if that's the route you want to take.

Unless you are having a ton of trouble with the game then there's no need to sperg out about how optimal your fashion is.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vil posted:

The pyro ladies in HV/EP aren't that big a deal though. As you yourself pointed out, you can just use a bow (which is an amazing tool for playing safe in a no-death run anyway). They basically never move, so you can either snipe from a safe distance or play peekaboo-with-arrows using a corner.

They're a somewhat big deal if you lack a ranged attack (although even an unupgraded crossbow and wooden bolts will kill them pretty fast). The tricky part is gauging their recovery frames and attacking fast enough so that you don't get blown to pieces by their Lingering Flame or Great Combustion.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gestalt Intellect posted:

What is bad about heavy armor if that's the route you want to take.

If you're using heavy armour and hovering around 40-50% load it's not too bad but the way load affects stamina regeneration linearly instead of in stages makes going any higher than that super punishing, especially if you're trying to also use a shield. :(

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I seem to dress my guys in rags like the prisoner's set half the time, or just use full jester's. Upping my carry weight is usually low on my list or priorities, behind scaling, hit points, endurance, and rolling.

That said, I totally endorse fashion souls. Right now I am working on putting together a minotaur themed character. Just got my guy to the smelter buttholes that drop the minotaur hats. Now I just need to farm one.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If you're using heavy armour and hovering around 40-50% load it's not too bad but the way load affects stamina regeneration linearly instead of in stages makes going any higher than that super punishing, especially if you're trying to also use a shield. :(

I run around just under fat roll all the time and the game is fine and fun.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Man the Bone King set is really good for resistances and as providing decent lightweight protection. I kinda wish my already weird looking dude weren't running around in doofy flipflops though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The witch set has always been one of the best for elemental defense and now it's available really early.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

I run around just under fat roll all the time and the game is fine and fun.

There's also several items to boost stamina regen if that's a concern for the weapon you're using

I love the rings in general in this game, so many interesting choices

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

victrix posted:

There's also several items to boost stamina regen if that's a concern for the weapon you're using

I love the rings in general in this game, so many interesting choices

I just hate the health loss mechanic that means you're stuck with the ring of binding unless you burn effigies or alternate dying a few times with coop. The ring choices are really good but having to go out of your way to avoid being forced into one is bad.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Re: NPC black phantoms. They're pretty bad at rolling out of combos. Stone ring + rapier + R1R1R1 = ez stunlock.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Aside from armorer dennis who is a hilariously unnecessary middle finger to new players I really don't see what's so bad about the new phantoms? I'm still before drangleic castle so I probably haven't seen a lot of them, but sharron just kind of ran at me and occasionally swung while I backed up and poked her with my winged spear until she died. I was using the stone ring which probably made a difference but what exactly does she do that makes her so bad?

Whereas you can run into goddamn dennis right after killing the last giant and he's spamming soul greatsword and soul vortex at you.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Aside from armorer dennis who is a hilariously unnecessary middle finger to new players I really don't see what's so bad about the new phantoms? I'm still before drangleic castle so I probably haven't seen a lot of them, but sharron just kind of ran at me and occasionally swung while I backed up and poked her with my winged spear until she died. I was using the stone ring which probably made a difference but what exactly does she do that makes her so bad?

Whereas you can run into goddamn dennis right after killing the last giant and he's spamming soul greatsword and soul vortex at you.

It depends what weapon you're using. Sharron is a nightmare if you use a rapier, you can't poise break her or outrange her. Everything's pretty easy if you use a spear since it's by far the safest weapon in the game. Anyone with spells is easy enough because spells are easy to dodge, but if your weapon has less range than the phantom's you're probably going to have a bad time and have to rely on backstabs, because they all seem to have super high poise.

e: The good news is that 90% of the NPC phantoms are incredibly easy to backstab over and over.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 17, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

General Morden posted:

maybe you shouldn't try to tank fire tempest in general

Listening to this conversation is reminding me how much of my initial playthrough involved safe and boring plinking giants AND pyro ladies to death with my sea bow.

Which is part of my knowing deep down, getting through areas alive doesn't mean I am any good at this beyond a launchpad McQuack definition. Taking a stab at things again while my hand isn't acting up and realizing I have apparently lost my knack for parrying the pursuer isn't helping matters :saddowns:

Heavy armor chat, I like the look of the Royal Swordsman stuff. Please call the fashion police to stop me before I hurt someone other than myself.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I feel like reapers need a buff in general. They have the most specific sweet spot of any weapon that has one and it's in this awkward short-range-but-not location where most melee enemies will run too close to get hit by it, and reapers also love to hit walls way outside of their attack hitbox so they can't be used in narrow spaces either. If you can always perfectly judge the exact distance to hit things with the sweet spot for both swings of the combo (which is not easy because the swings are different so the sweet spot moves) then they can probably out-DPS a halberd but that is not easy to do.

I'm trying to use the great scythe for the second time and it's fun but really obnoxious at the same time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm not a new player and Armorer Dennis was a complete bitch and a half. gently caress you Dennis.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Maybe this is meant to be an epic trap sprung, but 'we' definitely are there - you just need to have a list of hex ids, which works just fine when swapping pick ups.

'We're' not there if you're an idiot like me who doesn't wanna gently caress up his game. :v:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dennis got me a few times in FoFG (he was actually my first death - and my second and third too - in SotFS), but by Iron Keep I was better equipped to fight him. I suppose the moral of that story is that there's no huge rush to unlock that third bonfire there. (Although the counterpoint is that all these NPC invasions have been nicely padding out my supply of seeds.)

Sharron didn't bother me too much, and I was using a rapier with Stone Ring. Nor did what's-his-face further in Iron Keep near where the mimic used to be. I had to play it safe, sure, but she was a hell of a lot easier than Dennis.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I just hate the health loss mechanic that means you're stuck with the ring of binding unless you burn effigies or alternate dying a few times with coop. The ring choices are really good but having to go out of your way to avoid being forced into one is bad.

I never used mine past the very early game, you get enough effigies + cooping once in awhile I never felt a need for it, unless you're dying an absolute shitton, in which case, well, that's what the ring is there for :v:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

victrix posted:

I never used mine past the very early game, you get enough effigies + cooping once in awhile I never felt a need for it, unless you're dying an absolute shitton, in which case, well, that's what the ring is there for :v:

I am unwilling to spend effigies because I am a hoarder. My excuse is to use them for the dark stuff but yeah, it's more that it bothers me that it's a consumable item tax that serves little design purpose. I haven't liked the human/undead mechanic since demons souls and I don't know why they insist on it. At least demons souls had the cool "invade to steal someone's humanity" thing going.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

victrix posted:

Same. It's basically my ring of "I'm going to keep trying this and will probably die a bunch", which is mostly relegated to making iffy jumps/drops for extra treasure, like in the Majula pit or Earthen Peak. Once I'm done with the section where gravity murders me repeatedly, I co-op somewhere (or pop an effigy if I get impatient and am simply not getting any bites) and move on.

For the most part, staying human is a "simple" case of "don't loving die in the first place" with the occasional bit of co-op mixed in if I do die. Now if I played a lot faster and more aggressively, there'd probably be more dying as a result. But fast and aggressive is very definitely not how I've been taking my first exploratory run through the SotFS changes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I am unwilling to spend effigies because I am a hoarder. My excuse is to use them for the dark stuff but yeah, it's more that it bothers me that it's a consumable item tax that serves little design purpose. I haven't liked the human/undead mechanic since demons souls and I don't know why they insist on it. At least demons souls had the cool "invade to steal someone's humanity" thing going.

I think it's mostly there to serve as impetus for coop, which I like, but it sucks a lot once mp dies down (experiencing this in dark souls 1 now, and forget it in DeS at this point).

It also adds to the whole feeling of desperation and general 'gently caress you' that souls games have, so there's that.

I can't help you with the hoarding part :v: Consumables are there to be used. You can beat pretty much every fight in the game with estus and nothing else, so use those items.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Assassin Maldron and Armorer Dennis are the main characters of this game imo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I see Mimics have got with the times for SotFS ...

I nearly jumped out of my seat in Brightstone Cove when the one after the well tunnel got me. Best addition by far

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I finished my first playthrough with like 50 effigies left and that was after eating them to become human any time I died, SotFS showers you in effigies.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I think the only time I ever ran low on effigies was when I was first bashing my head against the Fume knight. Other than that, I've always had more than plenty.

I am working my minotaur guy. His name is even "The Minotaur". I finally got the hat, after extincting one of the lava armpit guys.

I could use some good suggestions for weapon or armor. He is low SL, and has 30 str, 14 dex, 20 vgr, 20 end. I was thinking maybe the mastodon boots for hooves, but I don't have them yet. Getting the hat was kind of important. Axes seem minotaur-like, but I am not sure which ones are viable. I did hear the butcher's knife was good, even if it doesn't look that axe-like.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I used Alonne Captain gear for most of my first run and was fine. Looks nice, has good fire defense and I usually end up with 2 or 3 sets trying to get an Alonne Greatbow before the dlc.

Of course now I'm more likely to be some clown caveman havel jerk because I needs me loots.

^^^^^
Get the 50 str for Gyrm Greataxe. It owns hard one handed and looks the part.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Any recommendations for a 100% style walkthrough, vs simply staring at a wiki the whole time I play? Any good guides out there that provide a decent checklist approach?

I don't want to 'really' 100% in terms of getting every single rare drop or whatever, but getting all the npc stories, spells, major items, etc.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Game show time

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Filthy Monkey posted:

I think the only time I ever ran low on effigies was when I was first bashing my head against the Fume knight. Other than that, I've always had more than plenty.

I am working my minotaur guy. His name is even "The Minotaur". I finally got the hat, after extincting one of the lava armpit guys.

I could use some good suggestions for weapon or armor. He is low SL, and has 30 str, 14 dex, 20 vgr, 20 end. I was thinking maybe the mastodon boots for hooves, but I don't have them yet. Getting the hat was kind of important. Axes seem minotaur-like, but I am not sure which ones are viable. I did hear the butcher's knife was good, even if it doesn't look that axe-like.

Gyrm Greataxe and the one that Melinda the Butcher in the Gutter has both seem pretty decent in PVP when I've faced them. For some reason when I think minotaur I think halberd, I have no idea where I picked up that association though.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chard posted:

This white invader in Eleum Loyce can suck a garbage bag full of dongs. Fight me head-on like a computer instead of running away to heal like an intelligent being, dammit!

That guy owns so much. I didn't even feel bad about resorting to poison to kill him.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Would anyone be up for helping with the DLC co-op areas? I've done the Old Iron King memory, but have yet to finish any of the others. SM is ~3.1mil, so I can summon 2.75mil - 12mil normally, or 2mil - 30mil with the name-engraved ring. e: Nevermind re:Iron Passage, I finally made it past the second gate and have all of the items, so any route would be fine. Oh, and I'm playing the original still, not SotFS. e2: Beat Iron Passage! Still would love help with Sunken and Ivory Crowns' co-op areas. e3: And beat Frigid Outskirts! Gonna call it a night, though. Would anyone help with the Sunken King co-op area this weekend?

Telum fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 18, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

What do you mean by co-op area? Are there parts of the dlc that don't allow co-op? Or just parts balanced around it? (That...would explain some things)

PS the frigid outskirts in the ivory king dlc is the worst area in any souls game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The optional parts of the DLC are co-op areas because they are meant for co-op. The Shulva Sanctum's cave, Frigid Outskirts and the Passage of Iron or whatever it's called.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

There is no such thing as optional content in Souls, if it exists I will ram my dumb head against it until one of us is destroyed.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

All of the areas with the funny statues near a bonfire are areas made for co-op; people without the DLC can place their sign at the statues at the very beginning of the DLC, and those signs will also appear at the corresponding statues later on. People with the DLC can still place signs wherever, of course.

Frigid outskirts is indeed the worst area. Fun story: I got some help for the area (if anyone here is Killer, you're awesome), beat it on the first co-op attempt, but knew I'd missed the ring of the living, and I want to get everything I can that I don't have to farm for... so I ran back across the bridge, hoping against hope that the snowstorm would have abated after beating the bosses. Of course it didn't, this is Dark Souls, I was insane for daring to hope otherwise :v: It still probably would have been fine, except I immediately got three of those loving reindeer on me and died. Not having entirely thought this through, I hadn't put on a ring of life protection or anything, so now the goal is to get back there, not only to get the ring of the living, but also my ~90k souls bloodstain. At least killing reindeer on the way gives me a steady supply of souls to repair my life protection rings with :v: I get near the end very regularly, only for the multiple spawns there to kill me every time :argh:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Frigid Outskirts would have been fantastic if it didn't have infinite reindeer and if there was a bonfire shortly before the boss. Those two things existing take a cool idea and turn it into unbelievably tedious poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Vargs posted:

Frigid Outskirts would have been fantastic if it didn't have infinite reindeer and if there was a bonfire shortly before the boss. Those two things existing take a cool idea and turn it into unbelievably tedious poo poo.

You can actually extinct them!