Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

DeusExMachinima posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo spoilers

When I first heard "And Slenderman will be there!" I audibly groaned just because of how obvious a joke it was.

And then they added that it was an actual person and was the principal and I went straight back to laughing my rear end off.

The Jumpoff fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Spoiler tags please? :(

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
So I've basically been binging on this show for the past week. And I just made it to the epic two-parter anniversary event.

Now, before I listen to part two, how much am I missing from the live show? Like, what was the format? Was it like a staged reading, or is there a lot of visual stuff that I'm missing out on? And if that's the case, is there any way to see a video recording of the episodes?

Really enjoying this though.

Edit: I didn't read most of the thread, for fear of spoilers. If this has already been answered earlier, then I apologize.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Geniasis posted:

So I've basically been binging on this show for the past week. And I just made it to the epic two-parter anniversary event.

Now, before I listen to part two, how much am I missing from the live show? Like, what was the format? Was it like a staged reading, or is there a lot of visual stuff that I'm missing out on? And if that's the case, is there any way to see a video recording of the episodes?

I was at the live show in Birmingham last night.

It's a scripted show just like the podcast. Their live shows are definitely written for a live audience, but there's not really anything visual other than a few of Cecil's reactions. You're not missing anything by listening to the audio recording (and regardless, they're never doing the anniversary script live again, so you might as well).

Speaking of the live show, the current one amazing. The cast is extremely talented (perfectly in character, not a flubbed line anywhere), and Earwicker's score is even better live.

I noticed that maxnmona didn't come on stage at the end -- doesn't he normally travel with the live show?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Geniasis posted:

Edit: I didn't read most of the thread, for fear of spoilers. If this has already been answered earlier, then I apologize.

Basically the live show is Cecil on stage by himself. Other characters come on stage as necessary say their lines and then vanish. It's about the most basic presentation (and i don't mean any offense by that) but it works amazingly in practice.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

WhiteHowler posted:

I noticed that maxnmona didn't come on stage at the end -- doesn't he normally travel with the live show?

We've set up the current tour so that Jeffrey and I can come and go, because we've got a lot of other things going on. I'll be on most of the tour, but not all of it. Right now I'm back home for a bit.

This stretch of shows are the very first Night Vale live shows that have ever happened without me there, and it's been a weird experience for me.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

maxnmona posted:

This stretch of shows are the very first Night Vale live shows that have ever happened without me there, and it's been a weird experience for me.

for us too!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Earwicker posted:

for us too!

my mom is concerned because in your lip sync video it looks like at least some of you aren't wearing seat belts.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

we were all wearing seat belts! and also we did that like 30 minutes after eating an insane amount of ribs

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Big fan, have been since Whispering Forest (hence the av), just want to say your show is what I fall asleep to every night. Keep it up, wish I had the scratch to drop on tix to a live show in New England, but as a medical lab tech intern I have to spend all my money replacing my blood covered jeans and copper magnet bracelets.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to seeing the show tonight! Sadly I'm coming from work, but my friend is going all out to dress as a member of a Vague Yet Menacing Government Agency!

As for not being around to tour with the show, at least you know you have to let go a little to handle other issues. Creators that can't learn that lesson tend to end up sabotaging their own projects.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

I don't cosplay but I figure I should do something special for the show next month. Last time I just drew a half-assed eye on the middle of my forehead with eyeliner and went as a resident of Old Town Night Vale, but this year I'm going to put in slightly more effort by ordering a temporary tattoo of an eye and a Spider Wolves shirt. I'll probably get a huge pimple in the middle of my forehead the night before and the whole thing will be ruined, but whatever.

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 11, 2015

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ok who's the goon on the tech crew in houston what drew a dickbutt in the lighting booth!

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Earwicker posted:

ok who's the goon on the tech crew in houston what drew a dickbutt in the lighting booth!

All stagehands are basically goons.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
No Cecil don't. He's not worth the risks involved. :ohdear:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I love the bit at the end where he drops his radio voice because he's on vacation.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else going to the Rialto show tonight? I'm super hyped and i'm pregaming with some classic episodes. This will be my first Rialto experience too and i'm looking forward to hearing the acoustics of the show in a 1920's theater (supposedly very good according to my other Tucson friends).

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
The Houston show was great, though it left me hoping to hear Carlos' impression of Steve Carlsberg.

As far as the new episode, I like the callback to Cecil's "I'll try not to be long.." in Sandstorm. Also, if he's in the desert otherworld at least he can phase back in to the studio to do broadcasts!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I just caught the Harry Potter joke in the new episode on my second listen. Nicely done.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I had a realization the other day, and I'm pretty disappointed by it.
I'm no longer the target demographic of this show. I've been listening since the beginning (my friend introduced me when episode 3 was the newest) and I loved it instantly. I couldn't wait to hear our host telling me about what strange misfortune had befallen the town, and what the local yokels thought about it. It was just me, him, and the weather.
But as the show's grown, everyone has a voice, and Night Vale isn't about the town anymore. It's about our friend and his boyfriend and his friend the mayor and his brother in law and the old lady on his bowling team and and and. At some point we stopped being allowed to let our imaginations fill in the characters in the story. Somewhere it stopped being a radio drama about a strange town, and started being a messy melodrama about townies. I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but I miss when having someone else come onto the podcast was a huge deal. I know a lot of this is probably due to fan feedback, so I just wanted to chip in my opinion that I miss when Night Vale conveyed the feeling that were a small thing peeking our head in on something bigger than we can understand.

Edit: That said, I think you've created an incredibly compelling universe, maxnmona, and I'm whining because I want more of it.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Beast Pussy posted:

I'm no longer the target demographic of this show. I've been listening since the beginning (my friend introduced me when episode 3 was the newest) and I loved it instantly. I couldn't wait to hear our host telling me about what strange misfortune had befallen the town, and what the local yokels thought about it. It was just me, him, and the weather.
But as the show's grown, everyone has a voice, and Night Vale isn't about the town anymore. It's about our friend and his boyfriend and his friend the mayor and his brother in law and the old lady on his bowling team and and and. At some point we stopped being allowed to let our imaginations fill in the characters in the story. Somewhere it stopped being a radio drama about a strange town, and started being a messy melodrama about townies. I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but I miss when having someone else come onto the podcast was a huge deal. I know a lot of this is probably due to fan feedback, so I just wanted to chip in my opinion that I miss when Night Vale conveyed the feeling that were a small thing peeking our head in on something bigger than we can understand.

Edit: That said, I think you've created an incredibly compelling universe, maxnmona, and I'm whining because I want more of it.

They sprinkle in the "Cecil as passive observer while incomprehensible events happen and are resolved with little to no explanation" just often enough that it makes you appreciate it more, IMO.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The events are perfectly comprehensible, IMO.

Was anyone at the Tuscon show last night? I noticed a bunch of the audience was wearing tinfoil hats. I am used to seeing all manner of different cosplays at the shows but that is a new one i thought it was funny

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm no longer the target demographic for anything but certain prescription drug ads. It's kind of relaxing.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Beast Pussy posted:

I still get excited for new episodes but all my favorites come before the Strexcorp takeover. The podcast itself was more charming when the whole thing amounted to strange happenings relayed through Cecil. I think you hit the nail on the head with the letting our imaginations fill in the characters in the story. I don't think we should have ever gotten to hear Steve Carlsberg's voice. We should have never learned that he's a nice guy- he should have stayed as "someone Cecil hates for some reason".

But hey, thanks. as long as we keep getting weird bits like the monolith, the gas in the water pipes, the angora rabbits, the updates about NV's sports teams (more of this, please!), unusual advertisements (I think maybe you guys thought this was getting played out? But poo poo like seven lights/taco bell and incomplete?/home depot is the best [sub-bracket: that sentient patch of haze can get sucked into a vacuum cleaner and never let out though]), and that pesky intern mortality rate, I'll be happy. And that's what it's all about, right? Making me, specifically, happy? God help you if I have to land my hover-office and raise some hell.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Beast Pussy posted:

I'm no longer the target demographic of this show...I know a lot of this is probably due to fan feedback

Your opinion is totally valid, and you don't have to like our show, but changes in the show have happened because it's what we were interested in writing and it was the stories that seemed interesting to tell. We have no target demographic, and we never write to fan feedback.

Haven
Dec 28, 2005

They might just as well've been closed.
Awesome show in Mesa tonight. It's been a real shitfest of a week at my house (we lost one of our dogs to cancer on Monday) so thank you for lifting me out of it and making me laugh for a couple hours.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

unusual advertisements (I think maybe you guys thought this was getting played out? But poo poo like seven lights/taco bell and incomplete?/home depot is the best [sub-bracket: that sentient patch of haze can get sucked into a vacuum cleaner and never let out though])

A Word From Our Sponsors is the best thing in the whole show. My favorites are PetCo, Red Lobster, and Outback Steakhouse.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Beast Pussy posted:

I still like the show a lot, but I feel kind of the same way. I liked when it was, as the thread title said, more like NPR from the Twilight Zone than the soap opera with paranormal stuff in it it is now. It's kind of just Passions with better writing now, which isn't bad, but I miss the old style and don't find myself rushing to listen to new episodes the second they come out anymore.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I got to admit it dragged a little with "Is Carlos coming home" "Nope!" from a few months ago, but now that the whole "Cecil is being controlled" stuff is kicking in I've gotten fully back into it. Also it was nice to hear Cecil so happy last episode. :3:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

TheJoker138 posted:

I still like the show a lot, but I feel kind of the same way. I liked when it was, as the thread title said, more like NPR from the Twilight Zone than the soap opera with paranormal stuff in it it is now. It's kind of just Passions with better writing now, which isn't bad, but I miss the old style and don't find myself rushing to listen to new episodes the second they come out anymore.

I also agree somewhat. My favorite sections have been Traffic and the advertising. The second half of the second year, Strex, didn't feel very interesting to me. The show has gotten a lot better since the second anniversary and I don't feel the storyline is overshadowing all the other cool writing the show has anymore. But bring back Poetry Week again! :argh:

I'm pretty pumped to see the show in a couple weeks, too.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

maxnmona posted:

Your opinion is totally valid, and you don't have to like our show, but changes in the show have happened because it's what we were interested in writing and it was the stories that seemed interesting to tell. We have no target demographic, and we never write to fan feedback.

This is exactly why I had so much hesitation about writing this post. I've really liked the show. And I'm in no way expecting you to write it specifically for me. I understand that creative endeavors grow and change, not only to meet the fans, but also to meet the artists. I was just lamenting the feeling like Night Vale and I have grown apart. Like I said, I think you guys have captured something incredible here. I love the setting, and I'm not going to quit something so unique because of a rough patch, but I also understand how much of the other side you probably hear, whether or not it's who you're writing for, and I just didn't want my side of this story to be unheard.

And again, I'm not trying to be lovely about the changes you, as the creator, felt it necessary to make. There is a lot of talent working this show, and, even though I personally don't like hearing the voices I pictured filled in, I respect the work these people are doing. I've tried to consider my words carefully regarding this, and I hope that fans who liked the beginning aren't seen as an acceptable loss for where this is heading sacrifice for a smiling God.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

The show is still great imo, even if it is different than when it started, and I really did like the "peeking our head in on something bigger than we can understand" part, as you said. Way earlier I tried to articulate that I preferred when the weird things didn't have simple explanations, or any explanations at all, but I failed pretty miserably and it just sounded like whiny bitching about headcanons or something.

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 17, 2015

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I liked it when I thought that Carlos had a magic haircut, though I also like that it's just because Cecil has a crush on him.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Lone Goat posted:

I liked it when I thought that Carlos had a magic haircut, though I also like that it's just because Cecil has a crush on him.

I like to think it was both :allears:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Lone Goat posted:

"If your cactus needs a haircut, try Telly. He's out wandering the sand wastes."
-the best line of the series imo

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Deific Presence posted:

A Word From Our Sponsors is the best thing in the whole show. My favorites are PetCo, Red Lobster, and Outback Steakhouse.

The Red Lobster one is pretty terrible to wake up to. I may need to take The Whispering Forest off of the playlist.

And Deb is awesome. More Deb, please.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lone Goat posted:

I liked early in year one when it just sounded like Cecil/maybe the whole town were just being weirdos about this newcomer but I'm really glad it developed into what it is now and Cecil's "And then....he kissed me!" is one of my favorite moments in the entire show.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

Dimloep posted:

The Red Lobster one is pretty terrible to wake up to. I may need to take The Whispering Forest off of the playlist.

Aw, come on, it's not so bad.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Man I forgot how much I missed the Apache Tracker. Even if he was an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Literally The Worst posted:

Man I forgot how much I missed the Apache Tracker.

Best name/ post combo.