Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

France has a 35 hour work week adopted under the belief that less hours per worker = more employed workers

right wing parties say it's stupid and the reason unemployment is high is that it's too hard to fire workers so nobody hires anybody (???)

it would be a problem for small companies cause lets say you have a team of 3 people and now you lose 15 theoretical hours, you aren't going to replace it with another worker. especially when a fulltime new hire brings on a load of regulatory baggage when they might not work out. the solutions are better hiring (lol effort) or use temps/consultants. hrmery. which one is everyone doing???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Guaranteed minimum income is the answer to most of our society's problems and drat if we'll ever get it without a revolution.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

how dare those lawyers go after companies who failed to respect accessibility laws? lucky ducky!
did you hear about the man with the horribly debilitating illness who might force a company into doing what it should have done in the first place? lucky ducky!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

reading posted:

Guaranteed minimum income is the answer to most of our society's problems and drat if we'll ever get it without a revolution.

lol

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Shaggar posted:

it would be a problem for small companies cause lets say you have a team of 3 people and now you lose 15 theoretical hours, you aren't going to replace it with another worker. especially when a fulltime new hire brings on a load of regulatory baggage when they might not work out. the solutions are better hiring (lol effort) or use temps/consultants. hrmery. which one is everyone doing???

The temp/consultant industry is extremely abusive and a very shady way of getting around what few labor laws there are in the US (and elsewhere). Ironically Texas says that after 1 year of permatemping you have to either hire or fire someone, while Massachusetts, the bastion of liberalism, has no such law and people can be dragged around as a """"temp"""" for an unlimited amount of time.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

reading posted:

idk, loving Nixon wanted it because it would give him an excuse to cut all the other social programs, and then you only have one target to slowly bleed to death rather than several.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Shaggar posted:

that's an implementation issue at the margin exactly when you switch over from 40 hours to 35 hours, not a fundamental issue with the policy. there's nothing magical about work loads that means that the optimal number of manhours to hire in your company comes in multiples of 40.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

it would be a problem for small companies

Then I do not give a poo poo in the least.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

yeah except ot exists and if that is enough to bankrupt your business, it was only a matter of time

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

when the bubble pops and all the programming education big companies have been doing matures into a surplus of cheap developers, it will turn back into Just Another Job and people will actually have to start working again.

seriously though Google ain't investing a ton of charity money in teaching kids programming and "raising the next generation of programmers" cuz they love kids so much. computer poo poo has always been notoriously hard to get people interested in even with the wages so hilariously high because goddamn is nerd stuff boring if you're not totally into it. but now that we're a couple generations into the computer age and average kids (not just spergs like me) grew up playing with html and basic stuff for their tumblrs or whatever it's no longer just "that thing nerds do" anymore so I think we're finally past that block and wages will start falling soon.

nope. even by really conservative estimates we're nowhere even close to meeting the projected demand for tech jobs in the next decades. this is gonna be a cush gig for a while longer still

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Enderzero posted:

and yet here you are, posting during the workday.

its more insane that we can support a society with that many people not working hard full time and yet we still have idiotic 40 hour, butts in seat weeks. funny you have a problem with the workers and not the megalomaniacal owners who can't stand to see anyone not working at least 4o hours, yet who often do the least work of all for the most compensation

my boss has this mentality and told my manager to f off when he complained that i wasn't 'working' enough. it owns. if you don't have a real human bean for a boss you're really missing out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

yeah except ot exists and if that is enough to bankrupt your business, it was only a matter of time

you don't pay OT cause you don't hire full timers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Then I do not give a poo poo in the least.

I should rephrase: its a problem for the employees of small companies because they become worth less but have to do the same work.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That's fine. 80% of small business employees are either family members or buddies. Nobody really gets anything done. They're terribly inefficient businesses with shitloads of overhead. It'll just motivate them to move on to a job at a larger company, one that can adequately provide benefits and pay without literally going broke.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

small businesses pay less, have fewer advancement opportunities, have worse labour practices, and less job security.

gently caress small businesses.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

i work for a place with less than 10 people and because i'm the only person that does what i do i wont be able to take a full vacation this summer

started looking for new work right when i got told that

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

France has a 35 hour work week adopted under the belief that less hours per worker = more employed workers

right wing parties say it's stupid and the reason unemployment is high is that it's too hard to fire workers so nobody hires anybody (???)

the us has a 30 hour work week. it means that people who used to work 39.5 hours a week to avoid tripping ot now work 29.5 hours to avoid tripping healthcare. so now a lot of people on the edge have to get second jobs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

keyboard vomit posted:

i work for a place with less than 10 people and because i'm the only person that does what i do i wont be able to take a full vacation this summer

started looking for new work right when i got told that

i work for a place with less than 10 people and because i'm theo only person that does what i do so when i take a vacation i occasionally get a phone call and need to answer a question

my vacation day is then refunded because vacation means NO WORK and i worked therefore no vacation :smug:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my work has 3 ppl

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hehe

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I used to work for a place with 3 other people but even then there wasn't enough work so for 4 hours a day I just cleaned the office and made spreadsheets look nice without actually doing anything

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shaggar posted:

oh no the deadline has to be adjusted by one day per two and a half weeks to be brought in line with reality, how horrible

the project i'm working on is a month and a half past its original deadline, and the new adjusted in-line-with-reality deadline is two months from now

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
imo working in small biz esp in a industry that loses money suxors b/c well u dont get insurance or get paid good. i could almost get food stamps. i might get more mileage out of lowering my salary and getting the ebt. epic.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

when the bubble pops and all the programming education big companies have been doing matures into a surplus of cheap developers, it will turn back into Just Another Job and people will actually have to start working again.

seriously though Google ain't investing a ton of charity money in teaching kids programming and "raising the next generation of programmers" cuz they love kids so much. computer poo poo has always been notoriously hard to get people interested in even with the wages so hilariously high because goddamn is nerd stuff boring if you're not totally into it. but now that we're a couple generations into the computer age and average kids (not just spergs like me) grew up playing with html and basic stuff for their tumblrs or whatever it's no longer just "that thing nerds do" anymore so I think we're finally past that block and wages will start falling soon.

have you interacted with young people recently? most of them are just as loving computer illiterate as my grandma. "average" kids don't have their own tumblr at all, they use poo poo like instagram and snapchat and poo poo that requires zero janitoring.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

have you interacted with young people recently? most of them are just as loving computer illiterate as my grandma. "average" kids don't have their own tumblr at all, they use poo poo like instagram and snapchat and poo poo that requires zero janitoring.

yeah the reason that the cushness isnt going anywhere is the same reason you'll never have too many good writers - its almost pure thinking and thinking clearly and well is very difficult which is also why writing is so drat hard

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Necc0 posted:

nope. even by really conservative estimates we're nowhere even close to meeting the projected demand for tech jobs in the next decades. this is gonna be a cush gig for a while longer still

[img-disco-record-sales]

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Smythe posted:

imo working in small biz esp in a industry that loses money suxors b/c well u dont get insurance or get paid good. i could almost get food stamps. i might get more mileage out of lowering my salary and getting the ebt. epic.

you could try to work out a deal with your employer where you take a 'pay cut' but he gives you some sort of benefit to make up for it so that you come out ahead by qualifying

just spitballin

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting the day that stories start coming out about kids raised entirely on iProdutcs trying to enter intro CS classes because they hear the field pays well and, hey, they know this computer poo poo cold because they were IMing and emailing circles around their hilariously computer-inept parents, right

"what do you mean it's not a drag and drop wysiwyggrunt and poke ui?! what the gently caress is a filesystem?!"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Enderzero posted:

yeah the reason that the cushness isnt going anywhere is the same reason you'll never have too many good writers - its almost pure thinking and thinking clearly and well is very difficult which is also why writing is so drat hard

yes but on the other hand, china and india combined have 3 billion ppl and the us has 300 million

so the moment china plus india become even 1/10th as good at coaxing enough "knowledge workers" into a productive environment as the usa ur going to be in serious trouble. because they're not uppity enough to talk back or entitled enough to demand things like "not making GBS threads in the same river where i drink" or "having to share a three-bedroom house with fewer than ten people i'm not even related to". mostly because they haven't been brought up seeing that as a thing they can realistically expect

or are you suggesting that the factory farm we all live in is somehow going to become less efficient at extracting the value of our labour and transferring it to the classes already holding all of the concentrated wealth

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Munkeymon posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting the day that stories start coming out about kids raised entirely on iProdutcs trying to enter intro CS classes because they hear the field pays well and, hey, they know this computer poo poo cold because they were IMing and emailing circles around their hilariously computer-inept parents, right

"what do you mean it's not a drag and drop wysiwyggrunt and poke ui?! what the gently caress is a filesystem?!"

*shrugs* same thing as kids installing gentoo 'to learn about coding' as if watching a stage 1 teaches you code by osmosis or something. they're just going to make the same excuses with more polished technology

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Necc0 posted:

you could try to work out a deal with your employer where you take a 'pay cut' but he gives you some sort of benefit to make up for it so that you come out ahead by qualifying

just spitballin

it woudl be immoral for a fker liek me 2 take food stamp cash from ppl who rly need it. its just a fun thot to think abt tho

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Munkeymon posted:

there is some asymptotic minimum difficulty involved but programming is only going to get easier over time.

faster, less power-hungry, more reliable hardware and higher-level, better-designed, and more general composable software building blocks are only going to become more available as time goes on.

it'll pay fantastically if you're one of the 100,000 or so super highly qualified people the entire world actually needs to pay to supply them with these building blocks of course.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

theflyingexecutive posted:

the us has a 30 hour work week. it means that people who used to work 39.5 hours a week to avoid tripping ot now work 29.5 hours to avoid tripping healthcare. so now a lot of people on the edge have to get second jobs

actually, you either work 29.5 hours a week to avoid healthcare or are classified as an exempt salaried manager at $35,000 because you tell 18 year olds what to do and work 90 hours a week

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Enderzero posted:

yes because writers have such cushy positions these days

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lmao

Here’s something you don’t see every day: A cute, well-kept San Francisco condo has just sold for under a half million.

But don’t let the $415K sale price fool you. At 291 square feet, this itty-bitty SoMa condo is nowhere near as cheap as it is small, like, studio-with-a-Murphy-bed small, or as Curbed described it, like “a particularly spacious walk-in-closet.”

The unit at 195 7th Street first came onto the market in March with a list price of $299K and a listing that described it as a “smart studio condominium” that “packs a lot in a small package.”

And it does have some perks: a sunny bay window, a built-in desk and shelving, and access to a roof deck. The kitchenette even appears to have a mini-dishwasher (AKA more storage). And when the bed’s tucked away, there’s actually a patch of open floor space.

If it were a dorm room, this place would be a party pad. And yet, 39 percent over asking — that’s $1,426 per square foot! — is a steep price to pay for a condo that falls short of being a one-bedroom. But the new owner might have big plans for this small space… like renting it out for a premium price.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Mr Dog posted:

yes but on the other hand, china and india combined have 3 billion ppl and the us has 300 million

so the moment china plus india become even 1/10th as good at coaxing enough "knowledge workers" into a productive environment as the usa ur going to be in serious trouble. because they're not uppity enough to talk back or entitled enough to demand things like "not making GBS threads in the same river where i drink" or "having to share a three-bedroom house with fewer than ten people i'm not even related to". mostly because they haven't been brought up seeing that as a thing they can realistically expect

or are you suggesting that the factory farm we all live in is somehow going to become less efficient at extracting the value of our labour and transferring it to the classes already holding all of the concentrated wealth

that's a good point but those countries also seem to have trouble generating enough workers who can think precisely and creatively. im not a believer in american exceptionalism but there does seem to be something to a larger percentage of americans being able to function independently. in college the chinese and indians in STEM had huge study groups of cheating - there were a few really smart kids up top and then a whole bunch of intelligent kids who nonetheless were unable to complete basic coursework. that may be a cultural thing which could change over time though. it just seems the geniuses are evenly distributed, but the people in the tier below that are disproportionately american. so i guess you're right, the question is when that 1/10 as productive number is reached

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

PokeJoe posted:

yes because writers have such cushy positions these days

my point was that good thinking is hard to come by and that's the real gatekeeper. writers aren't cushy only because they can't automate away labor costs just by thinking. if that was a side-effect of writing, they would be getting paid far better.

mr dog is correct in that countries with 10x the population and ok education can get 10x the good thinkers and that will saturate the market.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

to be fair there are literally lawyers who go around with rulers and file lawsuits over sinks that are 3/8" too high hoping for sweet sweet settlement cash but I don't think this falls into that category

exactly. there are lowlife attorneys who seek out a disabled person in need of money, send them to places where they have found technical violations of the ADA, then send out demands for $5-10k settlements. the disabled person gets a pittance and the attorney pockets the rest. it is exploitative as hell and a perversion of what an attorney client relationship and the legal recourse of the ADA are intended to be.

my point is that I am generally against such unethical behavior because it diminishes the credibility of those who did suffer injury in much the same way that an ambulance chaser who coaches his clients on whiplash symptoms hurts others who do have those injuries. but leap and all of the techbro startups deserve the maximum loving possible given how they are operating, so I wish the ambulance chasers godspeed and good hunting. maybe if the post mortem for leap is "sued into the ground over ADA violations" other startups will actually follow the law.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Smythe posted:

it woudl be immoral for a fker liek me 2 take food stamp cash from ppl who rly need it. its just a fun thot to think abt tho

its a nice sentiment, but screw that.. you paid your taxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao

Here’s something you don’t see every day: A cute, well-kept San Francisco condo has just sold for under a half million.

But don’t let the $415K sale price fool you. At 291 square feet, this itty-bitty SoMa condo is nowhere near as cheap as it is small, like, studio-with-a-Murphy-bed small, or as Curbed described it, like “a particularly spacious walk-in-closet.”

The unit at 195 7th Street first came onto the market in March with a list price of $299K and a listing that described it as a “smart studio condominium” that “packs a lot in a small package.”

And it does have some perks: a sunny bay window, a built-in desk and shelving, and access to a roof deck. The kitchenette even appears to have a mini-dishwasher (AKA more storage). And when the bed’s tucked away, there’s actually a patch of open floor space.

If it were a dorm room, this place would be a party pad. And yet, 39 percent over asking — that’s $1,426 per square foot! — is a steep price to pay for a condo that falls short of being a one-bedroom. But the new owner might have big plans for this small space… like renting it out for a premium price.

i've seen smaller apartments in tokyo believe it or not

• Locked thread