Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Scyther posted:

I like the resource system in the Star Wars LCG.

I think it's pretty neat, too.

You basically start with at least four resources (could be more, depending on how your deck is built) and have a possibility of putting extra "lands" in play to smooth things out. The starting resources can't really get rid of (or more accurately: are replaced with other cards after destruction, retaining the minimum resource count, but possibly losing some other important card effects). Stuff costing five or more resources (that is, above your bare minimum) is explicitly meant to be late-game stuff - and for sake of framing, I believe the costliest card that's not explicitly meant to somehow be cheated for under its printed cost is priced at 6.

The color system is fairly lenient - of all the "lands" used to pay for a particular card, at least one must match its faction. Now, of the 4+ starting resources, one you can guarantee the color of (your faction ID card). This makes playing two-color decks fairly effortless, but posing some questions about deck composition. Is the risk of being locked out with evenly split halves worth it? Do you want to take some good faction-restricted cards that would require you to risk aligning your ID with the majority color? Do you take into consideration that one color in your deck provides big, costly efects, while other mostly spams cheaper cards (thus requiring more color matches)?

Now, playing with three colors is retarded tricky, as you can't just set your ID to the minority color and be done with it, requiring you to plan around being possibly locked out of a color or two, knowing which "lands" to protect just for their color and possibly putting some other safeguards into the deck.

So far it's just a more lenient, hassle-free iteration of typical mana management. Where it gets clever is that it gets stealthily balance by the Edge system. See, in Star Wars LCG, apart from buying poo poo for its effect, you need to discard some cards to gain an (often extremely important) advantage in combat. Therefore, if your opponent somehow massively out-resourced you and goes on a shopping spree, he lacks cards for the aforementioned combat-bidding, meaning his awesome army can oftentimes be curbstomped by whatever chumps you've managed to scrounge up.

Mind you, the player with resource advantage remains advantaged - as he should be - but the general game balance puts enough brakes on this, so the opponent has a chance to catch his breath and greatly reduce the number of times where you get a beat bad enough no amount of skill can save your skin.

[edit] Also, most of the time, cards providing multiple resources take as long to "untap" as how much resources you've taken from it. So while there are cards that straight provide you with 2 resources a turn (usually with some strings attached), more often than not they just offer the possibility to drop both Lord Vader and a lightsaber right now, during this turn, for the opportunity cost of having one less card to draw resources from on the next turn.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Lol, there's no way that is right. A lower skilled player will have a deck that is not as well made, meaning they are more likely to get mana screwed because their mana sources won't be as optimized. They also won't be as good as knowing when to mulligan/draw in.

From Mark Rosewater himself:

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr112b

quote:

To take the extreme, the best player in the world playing the strongest deck in the most powerful format could conceivably lose to a novice playing a pre-constructed deck. The fact that such a thing is possible, even if highly unlikely, speaks volumes.

Edit: FWIW, I still occasionally play Magic and keep up with what's going on because it's easy to do so, and I still have friends playing it, running tournaments for it, judging it, or even working at Wizards designing it. I just have zero desire to acquire cards or try to be competitive with it.

I tend to equate Magic more with Poker when it comes to being competitive. On the average, the good player will win and will have plenty of opportunities to win events. That doesn't change what the game's design is or what can happen in any given game or hand.

medchem fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 17, 2015

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

JazzFlight posted:

Netrunner looks cool, but how... um... "game-newbie-friendly" is it?
Like, is it "don't even try to teach" or "it's not as hard as it looks to get into"?

I think what gives me pause is having the layout be in so many different piles with their own terminology distinct from other games (different names for discard pile, etc.).

I've played Netrunner once and watched some other people play it because I humoured a friend who was into it and it's easy enough to simply play a round and reach a conclusion, but I had no idea what I was doing and none of the strategy came naturally or was picked up as I played, I just did things. I wouldn't say it was terribly newbie friendly since to really play it, I think you'd need to do some background reading because I couldn't make it come together off simply playing and watching other people play it.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Sorry to break up MagicChat but I need some board game advice. I'm looking to buy something new to help cement my Buying Good Games and not just whatever looks good at the time. I just bought Agricola and Race for the Galaxy both which are easily top 5 games for me even though I didn't own them myself before this week. Anyways, I'm looking for some more Euro-y stuff and I had some good recommendations earlier but I'm still stuck with what I think I'd really like since I haven't had a chance to play these and I'm basically here to ask the thread how I should waste my money and hopefully end up with things I love and not have to try to flip them later.

Right now, I'm looking at Keyflower, Troyes, Dungeon Lords, Le Havre and maybe Tournay. I was also thinking maybe Viticulture but I watched the video for how it plays and it didn't really speak to me. I want something that is solid and tight like Agricola but maybe a bit different? I'm not sure, I'd like to hear some opinions. I've played both Troyes and Tournay on BoardGameArena and they seem fun enough but it's hard to judge online how it would pan out in person or if I'd still love it. I played Le Havre once a few weeks ago and I thought it was pretty good but we only played the easy mode and I do know a lot of people who have it so it's not hard to get a hold of if I wanted to get a game of it.

I just watched videos for Keyflower and Dungeon Lords. Keyflower looks like it might be right up my alley, and the discussion of it earlier made it seem cutthroat and exciting. How are the expansions for it? I don't really care if they're garbage if the base game is great but I'm just wondering. Also I haven't played Dungeon Lords or Petz but the gameplay looks good, also, and I know it's a Vlaada so everyone will love it here but I don't know that it's right for me necessarily. Further, if I were to get it, is the Anniversary box the way to go?

Maybe someone can try to sell me on Viticulture or anything else really. I'm going to be playing Euphoria tonight since it's on my list of things I'd like to try and maybe I'll love that, who knows. tl;dr I love Agricola and Argent I'm looking to expand but I don't have a ton of experience with similar-ish games, what should I get goons? (Oh, and before it is mentioned, I have played and enjoyed Puerto Rico but I don't think I'm going to buy it since most of my friends already have it)

Edit: I don't really care if any of the games play well 2p, I'm mostly looking for something that will handle 3 or more and isn't limited to "always play this number for optimal experience" though that is not a dealbreaker for me. Troyes looks like it is a good 2p experience.

EvilChameleon fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 17, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

I refuse to believe that people in this thread are stupid enough to believe that Wizards of the Coast designed a CCG a quarter of a century ago with a resource system designed around MAXIMUM DOLLAR ACQUISITION (even though literally every story that comes out from the early 90's says that they didn't expect people to buy enough product that they'd even have a playset of a single rare (not that playsets even existed in the original form)) and are now refusing to change the core fundamental mechanic that they entire game is built on because they want EVEN MORE DOLLARS.

Clearly that's a more believable story than the fact that it was a novel system at the time and that they've constructed a game of nearly 15,000 unique cards around and maybe gutting the core principles of the game isn't in anyone's best interest.

Durrrr.

Bold Face Text

Magic was totally designed to be gambling for kids, even more so from the very beginning. Just look at all the ante cards. Richard Garfield is a very clever game designer, he might have lots of reasons for his design decisions, but I don't think he is stupid enough to not understand the psychology of how his game became popular.

Don't get me wrong, I love Magic too, no other game has that kind of variety and player base. But don't kid yourself, they design the mechanics of the game to increase sales.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

EvilChameleon posted:

I was also thinking maybe Viticulture but I watched the video for how it plays and it didn't really speak to me.

Maybe someone can try to sell me on Viticulture or anything else really.

Buy Viticulture and it's expansion Tuscany. It's like owning two games. If you play base Viticulture it is a really nice mid/low lvl worker placement. Add the expansion once people get comfy and the game absolutely explodes in fun/strategy. Ignore the whole "legacy unlock thing". Look at reviews for the 2nd edition of the game (grande worker) and the expansion, it really is great.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Rutibex posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love Magic too, no other game has that kind of variety and player base. But don't kid yourself, they design the mechanics of the game to increase sales.

A healthy, well-designed game increases sales.

Just adding to the point. There's a reason Magic is at a very high point popularity-wise right now; R&D has done a very good job with the design of the last many blocks (starting with Ravnica, basically; CawBlade notwithstanding).

Back to board game chat: What are some good party games that don't require a lot of creativity? Click Clack Lumberjack comes to mind, but are there any other good ones?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EvilChameleon posted:

Sorry to break up MagicChat

Please don't apologize for that

EvilChameleon posted:

but I need some board game advice. I'm looking to buy something new to help cement my Buying Good Games and not just whatever looks good at the time. I just bought Agricola and Race for the Galaxy both which are easily top 5 games for me even though I didn't own them myself before this week. Anyways, I'm looking for some more Euro-y stuff and I had some good recommendations earlier but I'm still stuck with what I think I'd really like since I haven't had a chance to play these and I'm basically here to ask the thread how I should waste my money and hopefully end up with things I love and not have to try to flip them later.

Right now, I'm looking at Keyflower, Troyes, Dungeon Lords, Le Havre and maybe Tournay. I was also thinking maybe Viticulture but I watched the video for how it plays and it didn't really speak to me. I want something that is solid and tight like Agricola but maybe a bit different? I'm not sure, I'd like to hear some opinions. I've played both Troyes and Tournay on BoardGameArena and they seem fun enough but it's hard to judge online how it would pan out in person or if I'd still love it. I played Le Havre once a few weeks ago and I thought it was pretty good but we only played the easy mode and I do know a lot of people who have it so it's not hard to get a hold of if I wanted to get a game of it.

I just watched videos for Keyflower and Dungeon Lords. Keyflower looks like it might be right up my alley, and the discussion of it earlier made it seem cutthroat and exciting. How are the expansions for it? I don't really care if they're garbage if the base game is great but I'm just wondering. Also I haven't played Dungeon Lords or Petz but the gameplay looks good, also, and I know it's a Vlaada so everyone will love it here but I don't know that it's right for me necessarily. Further, if I were to get it, is the Anniversary box the way to go?

Maybe someone can try to sell me on Viticulture or anything else really. I'm going to be playing Euphoria tonight since it's on my list of things I'd like to try and maybe I'll love that, who knows. tl;dr I love Agricola and Argent I'm looking to expand but I don't have a ton of experience with similar-ish games, what should I get goons? (Oh, and before it is mentioned, I have played and enjoyed Puerto Rico but I don't think I'm going to buy it since most of my friends already have it)

Edit: I don't really care if any of the games play well 2p, I'm mostly looking for something that will handle 3 or more and isn't limited to "always play this number for optimal experience" though that is not a dealbreaker for me. Troyes looks like it is a good 2p experience.

I haven't played Keyflower but it looks fantastic. It keeps getting called the knife fight of euro games, it's short and brutal and even if you win you're going to get cut on the way. I'm sure Countblanc's probably going to have more to say about it at some point so I'll shut up and let him do it

Dung Lords rules, it's not the most euro-y game ever (that'd be Caylus) but it's a totally unique gaming experience and IMO one of the best games ever. That being said, if you get it you're pretty much hard-locked into playing it with 4, 3's passable but 2's a shitshow. If you get it, might as well get the Anniversary box, a) it's real purdy and b) the expansion's kind of a pain to get these days and Happy Anniversary has it and some great unique content. It's also kind of a hardcore game-y sort of game, if you want a lighter version take a look at Petz. I don't like Petz as much, but it's still a fantastic loving game and it's a lot easier to pick up than Lords

Also I'm going to put in a plug for Tash-Kalar, it's IMO another one of the best games ever released and it scales super cleanly between 2 and 4 people (5 if you get the upgrade pack and expansion and play two games). It's another super unique game experience, it plays totally unlike any other game I've played except maybe Go and it's just an insanely tight game. It's up on BGA if you want to give it a shot

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fungah! posted:

Also I'm going to put in a plug for Tash-Kalar, it's IMO another one of the best games ever released and it scales super cleanly between 2 and 4 people (5 if you get the upgrade pack and expansion and play two games).

It depends on what you mean by "scales." If you mean "4 player takes twice as long as 2 player and feels about the same game-wise", then yes, I agree. If you mean "is as good a game experience at 4 player as at 2 player, " then I don't agree. Because each player's turn begins with essentially a totally and unpredictably different board state, you are spending 3/4 of the game with nothing productive you can do AT ALL. You can't plan ahead AT ALL.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
^^^ Thanks. I think I might get Tash-Kalar at some point, or at least get some good plays in, but it just doesn't seem like what I am looking for at right this moment. I could be wrong, maybe I'll watch some vids of it, too. The recent repackage makes me interested!

djfooboo posted:

Buy Viticulture and it's expansion Tuscany. It's like owning two games. If you play base Viticulture it is a really nice mid/low lvl worker placement. Add the expansion once people get comfy and the game absolutely explodes in fun/strategy. Ignore the whole "legacy unlock thing". Look at reviews for the 2nd edition of the game (grande worker) and the expansion, it really is great.

While watching How It's Played, it just seemed like it was a bit too "friendly" and not as tight as other games I seem to like. I'll check out the Tuscany vids though, see if that makes it seem more enticing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

homullus posted:

It depends on what you mean by "scales." If you mean "4 player takes twice as long as 2 player and feels about the same game-wise", then yes, I agree. If you mean "is as good a game experience at 4 player as at 2 player, " then I don't agree. Because each player's turn begins with essentially a totally and unpredictably different board state, you are spending 3/4 of the game with nothing productive you can do AT ALL. You can't plan ahead AT ALL.

Uhhhh 4 player should be played in two teams of 2, and you can totally plan ahead.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Uhhhh 4 player should be played in two teams of 2, and you can totally plan ahead.

That hasn't been my experience, even when your teammate is feeding you actions. I was being a little hyperbolic when I said you can't plan ahead AT ALL -- it can happen that somebody somehow doesn't mess with your plan in the two enemy turns between your own -- but I would only play Tash-Kalar with 4 if I could do it asynchronously.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

"4 player takes twice as long as 2 player and feels about the same game-wise", then yes, I agree.

Yeah.. as much as it pains me to say, my favorite mode for Tash Kalar now is 3 or 4 player Deathmatch. We all wanted to like High Form, but it really bogs down - and it can be really demoralizing if there's some skill differential. If you can split your opponent's army and camp out with an advantage of a couple pieces, you can slowly grind out a win. And while you're doing it, you're taking long interesting turns (that often involve killing some of your own dudes to prevent flares) while your opponent goes "place, place" or "place, summon something pointless". It's a good skill test, but - like Tigris & Euphrates, or even something like Chess - I really have to be in the right mood to want that.

Meanwhile, in Deathmatch you mostly just wait for your turn (or until the end of previous guy's turn) to think, and then cause as much mayhem as you can. And normally if you've really had a bad go of it, at least people are leaving you alone because they don't need your points any more, and you might get to have some bonkers fun turns at the end, even if they effectively involve flaring someone into a win or something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

djfooboo posted:

Ignore the legacy unlock, but do not attempt to add everything at once - not that you can, because Formaggio and Arboriculture are mutually incompatible. For your first game, add the New and Advanced Visitors. For your second, add the Mamas and the Papas and the Specialist Workers. After that you can switch to the Extended Board if you want and try using either Arboriculture, Formaggio or structures. Don't bother with Mafia as it's a silly bolt-on that adds more paperwork than fun.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I see you've played on BGA, where even average Tash-Kalar players are extremely strong.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah sorry about your hating high skill abstracts, I guess? I find 4 player team high form to be extremely satisfying, and can plan ahead just fine, and 2 player high form to be a very tight abstract that just gets better as you recognize more and more formations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

EvilChameleon posted:

I'm looking to buy something

I'm going to recommend Keyflower for some more Agricola type of gaming and Eminent Domain + Escalation for some more Race for the Galaxy.

Keyflower is great! I like the expansions, too. Breese has mentioned that Farmers benefits higher player count games more because of the greater lack of tile variation pre-expansion at higher player counts (you see all the tiles), while Merchants helps lower player count games more because it adds alternate means to follow strategies (since smaller games can see too few tiles for a strategy). But he says they can be added together at any count and that's what I've started doing, I like a lot of variables in my game setup.

Eminent Domain is also great! Similar to Race but definitely offers a unique experience. I feel like I have maybe a little bit more control in EmDo, at the cost of a bit less variety than Race.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

EvilChameleon posted:

While watching How It's Played, it just seemed like it was a bit too "friendly" and not as tight as other games I seem to like. I'll check out the Tuscany vids though, see if that makes it seem more enticing.

Oh, you like nasty. Check out Dominant Species and Keyflower for that. Viticulture, even with the expansion, is a friendly game. It's just the base game is very vanilla so the expansion is reccomended.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Oh, you like nasty. Check out Dominant Species and Keyflower for that. Viticulture, even with the expansion, is a friendly game. It's just the base game is very vanilla so the expansion is reccomended.

Edit: also check out Agricola: Farmers of the Moor, it is a pretty beefy expansion that kicks you in the balls from the looks of it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Try Vanuatu sometime if you like cutthroat games. You can literally destroy someone's turn by casually changing what order you take your actions, it's insanely vicious when played right.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

homullus posted:

That hasn't been my experience, even when your teammate is feeding you actions. I was being a little hyperbolic when I said you can't plan ahead AT ALL -- it can happen that somebody somehow doesn't mess with your plan in the two enemy turns between your own -- but I would only play Tash-Kalar with 4 if I could do it asynchronously.

If your plan's super vital to the team there should only be one enemy turn between your turns, your teammate should be effectively feeding you their turn (and if their plan's super vital you should be feeding them your turn). You can do as much planning as you can in 2p high form, you just need to communicate effectively with your teammate and let them know when them giving you actions is going to be more useful than them using their own actions

jmzero posted:

Yeah.. as much as it pains me to say, my favorite mode for Tash Kalar now is 3 or 4 player Deathmatch. We all wanted to like High Form, but it really bogs down - and it can be really demoralizing if there's some skill differential. If you can split your opponent's army and camp out with an advantage of a couple pieces, you can slowly grind out a win. And while you're doing it, you're taking long interesting turns (that often involve killing some of your own dudes to prevent flares) while your opponent goes "place, place" or "place, summon something pointless". It's a good skill test, but - like Tigris & Euphrates, or even something like Chess - I really have to be in the right mood to want that.

Meanwhile, in Deathmatch you mostly just wait for your turn (or until the end of previous guy's turn) to think, and then cause as much mayhem as you can. And normally if you've really had a bad go of it, at least people are leaving you alone because they don't need your points any more, and you might get to have some bonkers fun turns at the end, even if they effectively involve flaring someone into a win or something.

I kind of prefer Deathmatch as a pick up and play game, but I really like the amount of strategic planning that needs to go into high form. You're right, sometimes it can bog down (especially if you've got someone super AP prone in the game) but I've honestly seen more 4p deathmatch games bog down than high form ones.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

EvilChameleon posted:

Also I haven't played Dungeon Lords or Petz but the gameplay looks good, also, and I know it's a Vlaada so everyone will love it here but I don't know that it's right for me necessarily. Further, if I were to get it, is the Anniversary box the way to go?

Dungeon Lords is one of my favorite games even though I somehow end up in last place every single time I play it. I have not tried the expansion yet, but I have looked through the rules and I wouldn't bother with it until you've played the base game enough to need the extra variety. I do tend to be a Vlaada fan though.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

jmzero posted:

I found 3p melee unpleasant, there's a number of points place/place is your only real option. Even flares can't help you every time. Common piece collateral destruction is frustrating when they only take out one of them, and get no points in your color for it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is that thing due for a reprint? I'd love to give it a whirl.

The one I bought is a 'Collector's Edition' (It has a board, wood tokens and the cards have been redesigned to be slightly less ugly, I think), edited in Spanish by a Spanish company, so it's probably not an indication of a general reprint, sorry.

I have finished the manual and have a general grasp of the game. I'm also feeling slightly uncomfortable and will probably end up punching the Eklund brothers if we ever discuss politics at length.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Dungeon Lords is a very good worker placement Euro, but it is also Vlaada as gently caress. Especially with the expansion, it is very much a "just try to do the best you can while everything is going to hell on you" type of game. There are three "events" each year that arrive in a random order, one per season. Payday and Tax Day are easy enough to plan for, but the third "Special Event" is a random one of several cards each time, and they are there solely to gently caress up your pre-existing plans. They are all things along the lines of "lose half of your food" or "gain 1 evil for each monster you have" or other things that may will throw a monkey wrench in your designs for that year.

Also, its worker placement is programmed secretly at the beginning of the round, and there are fewer slots for each action than there are players, which is part of the game's built-in "messing up your plans" engine. The resulting player collisions, which cause the latecomer to lose that action for that round, introduce a degree of randomness that some Euro players may not appreciate.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Supposedly they are printing that collectors edition in English some time this year. I just bought a copy off eBay and it looks like there is one for 40

Also Eklund is an objectivist and mentions it pretty frequently in long spergy internet debates on bgg (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/963706/phil-eklunds-co2-review-and-science-game/page/1). I kind of view the games as specimens in Petri dishes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I generally don't care about the politics of the people that make my games but regardless of what the positions are writing a multipage screed in the back of a rulebook of a barely connected game is pretty poor showing.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Dungeon Lords is a very good worker placement Euro, but it is also Vlaada as gently caress. Especially with the expansion, it is very much a "just try to do the best you can while everything is going to hell on you" type of game. There are three "events" each year that arrive in a random order, one per season. Payday and Tax Day are easy enough to plan for, but the third "Special Event" is a random one of several cards each time, and they are there solely to gently caress up your pre-existing plans. They are all things along the lines of "lose half of your food" or "gain 1 evil for each monster you have" or other things that may will throw a monkey wrench in your designs for that year.

Also, its worker placement is programmed secretly at the beginning of the round, and there are fewer slots for each action than there are players, which is part of the game's built-in "messing up your plans" engine. The resulting player collisions, which cause the latecomer to lose that action for that round, introduce a degree of randomness that some Euro players may not appreciate.

If you are a Vlaada fan it has the same mix of humor, theme, and all your plans falling apart that makes it fun that most of his games has.

Every player also has two orders they can't use on a given round, and they're face up and public knowledge so you can mitigate some of the risk with that.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

OmegaGoo posted:

Back to board game chat: What are some good party games that don't require a lot of creativity? Click Clack Lumberjack comes to mind, but are there any other good ones?

Coconuts? It's basically beer pong

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

A friend is very AP prone, to the point he calculates what everyone wants in Dungeon Lords so that he can play his actions optimally. So at the end of year one I went after food I didn't need to screw him over, ruining his hero combat and neutering him in year 2.

I spent the excess food on dragons. 2 dragons is a LOT of fun.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

nimby posted:

A friend is very AP prone, to the point he calculates what everyone wants in Dungeon Lords so that he can play his actions optimally. So at the end of year one I went after food I didn't need to screw him over, ruining his hero combat and neutering him in year 2.

I spent the excess food on dragons. 2 dragons is a LOT of fun.

Please keep doing this and let us know if his AP condition improves. I want to know if you can use operant conditioning to make friends better with board games.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if a mechanism that rewarded points for faster turns would be something that would encourage AP types to flip the blast shield closed and use the force.

Maybe something that records total time of all turns for each player, like in DGT, and then rewards points for being 1st, 2nd, etc.

I don't like the pressure of a turn timer on every turn, so having the timer be for a game's worth of turns seems better. I'd rather not think about time at all, but man is it a kick in the junk when you have one player that is like a speed bump every turn.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Really you're looking for something that deducts points for taking too long. Really though, you're looking for Space Dealer, a game where if you spend too much time thinking your opponents' sand timers are running down giving them cool stuff comon gotta go set up your actions you're wasting tiiiiime!

It's a pretty funny game. Not that solid, but funny.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I played some Coup and Love Letter with some friends. We were learning the rules, but it was an interesting mix of light quick games.

Love Letter is more of a deductive game, where you try to figure out what cards other people have by what cards are in play and not hidden. Coup is of course the king of bluffing games, where you figure out if someone is bluffing maybe using the amount of cards that are shown in play. It was an interesting mix, as in Love Letter the game is kind of ruined if anyone lies during a turn about what they have, whereas in Coup it is the whole point of the game.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I wonder if a mechanism that rewarded points for faster turns would be something that would encourage AP types to flip the blast shield closed and use the force.

We play Paperback with simultaneous play, such that whoever finishes their word first gets first crack at the market (and the market doesn't replenish until everyone has bought). The fact that the letters aren't super balanced becomes a feature (rewarding fast play) instead of a liability. You have to take out the attacks to do this, but they weren't good anyway (and the game doesn't lack interaction when you're all playing at once anyway.

I think there's lots of games that could somehow incorporate racing (simultaneous play is great anyway), and I think most people would find that nicer than actual timers (though they have their place too).

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Tash-Kalar is improved by a chess clock by virtue of it being basically Better Chess.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
I should clarify that the game(s) I want don't have to be super cutthroat, I just don't want it to be basically multiplayer solitaire. I want there to be some interaction between the players. Fozzy, good call on Eminent Domain because I already have it + expansion and it's great. I've played Farmers of the Moor and I'm just waiting to get more plays out of the base game before I try adding the expansion. It's fun but I don't know if I think it's the /best thing ever/. Besides, I want a new game right now, not just an addition to a previous one. I'm pretty happy with 'gric right now as it is. I'm liking the sound of Keyflower still. Would you say the expansions are needed or just nice to have?

I don't know much about Dominant Species other than it is more money than the average game. If I do go with Dungeon Lords, should I be getting the anniversary edition? I wouldn't be playing with the expac right away, but I'm wondering if that makes it worthwhile.

Also, no thoughts on Troyes or Tournay? Or if I'll love Le Havre so much after a few more plays that I'll absolutely need it?

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
My friends and I love Coup but I don't love the SciFi art. Got the French version plus expansion sent from Canada.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

EvilChameleon posted:

I should clarify that the game(s) I want don't have to be super cutthroat, I just don't want it to be basically multiplayer solitaire. I want there to be some interaction between the players. Fozzy, good call on Eminent Domain because I already have it + expansion and it's great. I've played Farmers of the Moor and I'm just waiting to get more plays out of the base game before I try adding the expansion. It's fun but I don't know if I think it's the /best thing ever/. Besides, I want a new game right now, not just an addition to a previous one. I'm pretty happy with 'gric right now as it is. I'm liking the sound of Keyflower still. Would you say the expansions are needed or just nice to have?

I don't know much about Dominant Species other than it is more money than the average game. If I do go with Dungeon Lords, should I be getting the anniversary edition? I wouldn't be playing with the expac right away, but I'm wondering if that makes it worthwhile.

Also, no thoughts on Troyes or Tournay? Or if I'll love Le Havre so much after a few more plays that I'll absolutely need it?

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Don't get Tournay - it's not as good as any of the other games you've mentioned. Some people REALLY like Troyes. It's definitely a good game, but I've played it a few times and I feel like either I'm really really bad at it, or that what the dice roll has a big influence on who wins. I think it's probably a combination of both. I like playing the game, and play it once in a while, but I won't buy it for myself.

If you get Dungeon Lords, definitely get the anniversary edition IMO. The new components are so nice, and you'll be glad to have the expansion when you're ready for it.

Dominant Species is an INTENSELY competitive and punishing worker placement / wargame hybrid. It's very long, very difficult, and it's possible to have all your plans wrecked in a turn (or wreck other players plans). Whether you'll enjoy it or not depends on your group - if you have players who won't enjoy a game where their toys can get broken, or will get upset if they get directly attacked (even if it's justified or the right choice strategically), don't get it. But personally, I think it's an amazingly deep game with a HUGE amounts of tactics and strategy, and incredibly tense worker placement.

Also, none of the games you've mentioned are multiplayer solitaire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

burger time posted:

Don't get Tournay - it's not as good as any of the other games you've mentioned. Some people REALLY like Troyes. It's definitely a good game, but I've played it a few times and I feel like either I'm really really bad at it, or that what the dice roll has a big influence on who wins. I think it's probably a combination of both. I like playing the game, and play it once in a while, but I won't buy it for myself.

If you get Dungeon Lords, definitely get the anniversary edition IMO. The new components are so nice, and you'll be glad to have the expansion when you're ready for it.

Dominant Species is an INTENSELY competitive and punishing worker placement / wargame hybrid. It's very long, very difficult, and it's possible to have all your plans wrecked in a turn (or wreck other players plans). Whether you'll enjoy it or not depends on your group - if you have players who won't enjoy a game where their toys can get broken, or will get upset if they get directly attacked (even if it's justified or the right choice strategically), don't get it. But personally, I think it's an amazingly deep game with a HUGE amounts of tactics and strategy, and incredibly tense worker placement.

Also, none of the games you've mentioned are multiplayer solitaire.

Thanks for these words. I didn't feel like any of the games I was talking about were multiplayer solitaire, I was just giving an extreme for something I didn't want to end up with. Re: Dominant Species, I'm not sure what my regular group would go for, if a super cutthroat game would turn them off, but I know some people who would play who would like it, but that's good to know. I'll watch some videos.