Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

KozmoNaut posted:

It's so bad that I would buy a French or Italian car over a VW (or any German car, really) any day of the week.

I would buy a Korean car over any VW.

Would you buy a Chinese car over a VW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Vanagoon posted:

Not yet, no.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

It's so bad that I would buy a French or Italian car over a VW (or any German car, really) any day of the week.

I work on Korean cars; they're insultingly better than VAG mechanically.

I've worked on fiats and renaults but got mixed impressions. Peugeots seem backwards-logical but rugged.

Vanagoon posted:

No. That's another level of hell altogether. The great wall ute is like a homegrown frankenstein body/chassis with a mitsu L200 engine from 1995. Literally. Still has the cast SOHC cover with MITSUBISHI written vertically down the middle. And locally sourced chinese running gear!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
None of the current Chinese models that have made it to NZ are in any way worth buying, but the Geely LC managed to surprise me with just how terrible it is.

It's worse than it looks and that's saying so something.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dissss posted:

None of the current Chinese models that have made it to NZ are in any way worth buying, but the Geely LC managed to surprise me with just how terrible it is.

Perpetual blowjob-face.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

dissss posted:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

dissss posted:

I think it'd look good in yellow...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

dissss posted:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

That's clearly a Peugeot

This is a Peugeot 1007.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Where's that video of the review of the Chinese SUV review?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPCAbsVvf0k

This one?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

No, it's mostly VW. My E30 was incredibly easy to work on and very little broke in the first place.

e: holy poo poo, based on the wikipedia page for the LC, you can order it with wheel trims literally in the form of teddy bears. Don't let anyone tell you Chinese manufacturers can't innovate!

Saga fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 17, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Are you not aware of the marvel of the modern world that is the ronal teddybear?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Am I the only one that hasn't had any issues with their VW in basically 20 years of driving them?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Are you not aware of the marvel of the modern world that is the ronal teddybear?

Now I am.

I am still enjoying the fact that the lovely plastic engine cover on the LC bears the words ROYAL POWER.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

veedubfreak posted:

Am I the only one that hasn't had any issues with their VW in basically 20 years of driving them?

Yes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

veedubfreak posted:

Yes, because you are either one of the following:

- Well-off enough to hire professionals every single time for the job.
- VERY gifted in VW mechanical workings
- Extremely patient and gentle with your cars.
- Lucky and blessed with perfect moderate temperatures and weather, generally.

These are not bad things, but these are things most people, even people who LOVE their cars, are not 100% of the time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Yessssssssssss...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

veedubfreak posted:

Pretty much. I had a 80 Jetta. I got the Jetta used with 45,000 on the odometer and the engine caught fire on I-90 at 65 miles an hour, Seeing flames licking at your windshield at four in the morning is a bowel clenching sight.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

veedubfreak posted:

I've had good luck with them as well as the rest of my family but for the most part we're pretty anal about maintenance and taking care of our cars.

My first car was a 1996 GTI. Drove the poo poo out of it, tracked it a few times a year and it was handed down to my younger brother...who promptly rolled it. Only problem this one had was the crank position sensor went out on the way back from a track weekend.

Now I have a 2000 Golf TDI that Dad bought in 2004 and sold to me in 2009. 253k and the only failure that was at all unusual was a temp sensor going out and throwing it into limp mode.

Dad's now driving a 2012 or 13 Golf TDI that's been in the shop twice for non-maintenance related things.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My first watercooled VW was a 95 Jetta GL poverty spec, crank windows and all. That car shat out the A/C around 115k miles and I beat on the poor thing so hard that I managed to bend the roof just enough to cause the sunroof to bind about half way back. Other than that, the car was impossible to kill. Sold it at 150k because I was tired of not having A/C and replacing it was about half the cost of the car's value. Used the money from selling it to buy my 2004.5 GLI that was flawless for 70k other than needing a new brake light switch. Traded that one in on the current 11 TDI Golf and I haven't had a single issue with it other than a rattle somewhere in the rear due to a crappy stereo installer.

But yes, I live where it does not get very hot and not extremely cold very often.
Car gets scheduled maintenance on time.
Car is garaged.
I drive them plenty hard.
Guess I'm just one of the lucky ones.

Coincidentally, the 2 flawless cars were made in Germany, and the 95 shitbox was made in Mexico.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also your username is veedubfreak. Think about this.

Saga posted:

No, it's mostly VW. My E30 was incredibly easy to work on and very little broke in the first place.

e: holy poo poo, based on the wikipedia page for the LC, you can order it with wheel trims literally in the form of teddy bears. Don't let anyone tell you Chinese manufacturers can't innovate!

Bmw are just an ordinary kind of unreliable. Things break but in a predictable, consistent way and they aren't too cunty to work on if you stay away from the SUV models, which just suffer from bullshit packaging endemic to that kind of vehicle.

Mercedes benz are complicated engineering-wise, but when you need to do something specific and you know from the start what you want to remove/replace, they're generally extremely well designed and sensible.

I am speaking for 00's-onwards cars of both brands, things were totally different in the 80's and early 90's but those cars are so old now that it's like comparing an LSx camaro to an 80's carburetted 350 - if it weren't for the badges, you wouldn't know they were even the same brand.

And, before someone posts the MB diff/sump combo or whatever, yes there are terrible outlier cars made by both brands which suck and are poo poo. The thing to realise is that every single VW/audi model is like that. Every one.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That 4matic spring hack, though. So bad that it justifies being on the same level with VW.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EightBit posted:

That 4matic spring hack, though. So bad that it justifies being on the same level with VW.

Didn't know about this so I went searching.

:eyepop:

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
^^^^^^^

Holy poo poo. Is that all 4matics or just some particular model run?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Horrible Mechanical Failures: gently caress you VW

:( No wonder my thread always gets buried

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mungtor posted:

^^^^^^^

Holy poo poo. Is that all 4matics or just some particular model run?

From the forum thread I found it in it seems like it's only in the W124s, but that is over 10 years of the E-Class. The successor, W210, used a setup like this:

Not nearly as crazy, but the lack of flanges makes me (knowing very little about metals) wonder how well it would hold up if it's getting beat on. Seems like it might be prone to collapsing if the various bushings flexed enough that a strong hit to the suspension reached that bit at an angle.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 18, 2015

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Seconded! I bought an 18 year old hydro-pneumatic Citroen with 250k kms on the clock as a more reliable alternative to my VAG-infested 2003 Audi A4. This has played out well so far, since the Citroen has managed to neither eat its ignition coils, nor its cam shafts. Its also pretty decent to work on, for those things that do go wrong (you need a good set of Torx bits!).

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

veedubfreak posted:

My VW's have been incredibly reliable over the past 15 years.
Except when they haven't been.

Today's lunchtime adventure was my VR6's PCV damper going *pop* and exposing the intake to unfiltered, unmetered air while I drove with the gas pedal in the basement and resorted to 4k rpm launches at each stoplight (wouldn't idle worth poo poo) to keep it running long enough to get to a parts store. The weekend prior to this, I'd put nearly 1,000 miles on it and just narrowly missed catching the odometer at 234,567. :doh:

$75 after shipping for this loving thing which consists of a brittle black easter egg with one tube in and one tube out. There aren't any flaps or valves or anything magical in there, and I'd already fixed it with epoxy after it cracked up the first time 4 years ago. (epoxy was quite cooked, but there were more cracks forming in new & exciting places) $8 worth of hose clamps, hose barbs and 2' of hose and it's back on the road for hopefully another spin of the odometer.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Plankalkuel posted:

Seconded! I bought an 18 year old hydro-pneumatic Citroen with 250k kms on the clock as a more reliable alternative to my VAG-infested 2003 Audi A4. This has played out well so far, since the Citroen has managed to neither eat its ignition coils, nor its cam shafts. Its also pretty decent to work on, for those things that do go wrong (you need a good set of Torx bits!).

What did you get? I love quirky Citroens.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

Cakefool posted:

What did you get? I love quirky Citroens.

It's an XM. The quirkiness is somewhat toned down, as this was the first big Citroen of the PSA era. However, it's still quirky enough by normal standards (hydro-pneumatic, hydraulic self-centering steer-by-wire steering, ...). I reckoned, these cars were still young(ish) enough to be in decent shape, Citroen did a lot for rust protection (which shows!) and last but not least they are dirt cheap in Germany. You can pick up a well cared for example with lots of life left in it for under two grand and get a supremely comfortable car with AC, leather and good power.

Electrics are sometimes dodgy, but usually its gunked up switches and other stuff you can get in and clean or repair with a little work. The hydraulics are much better than their reputation. They are quite rugged and well developed at this point, as they reach back to the DS. The engines are all well made as well, with the exception of the bigger Diesel. I got the older SOHC gasoline V6 with a timing chain, which is rated for 167HP. The chain will outlast the rest of the engine and which is running well and using no oil.

If you are able to do some work and willing to read up on the car, the XM is not the worst car to pick.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

wolrah posted:

From the forum thread I found it in it seems like it's only in the W124s, but that is over 10 years of the E-Class. The successor, W210, used a setup like this:

Not nearly as crazy, but the lack of flanges makes me (knowing very little about metals) wonder how well it would hold up if it's getting beat on. Seems like it might be prone to collapsing if the various bushings flexed enough that a strong hit to the suspension reached that bit at an angle.

Yeah, seems shockingly half-assed for Mercedes. But I guess it's more of a money issue because really, beat on? Like over speed bumps in a Whole Foods parking lot?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

GDCS didn't feel like playing in the mountains today I guess

Going to go through and replace everything in the cooling system while I'm at it. Changing to the spring clamp type as well instead of the screw type.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
French cars, huh?

Peugeot 206 rear suspension bearing.

Catronos
Sep 27, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

Chrysler_build_quality.jpg

Holy poo poo, this exact thing happened to me twice, on either side in the time I owned a Chrysler, in the span of 5 months. Both times happened when I reversed out of a driveway, thank gently caress it wasn't when I was on a highway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Plankalkuel posted:

It's an XM. The quirkiness is somewhat toned down, as this was the first big Citroen of the PSA era. However, it's still quirky enough by normal standards (hydro-pneumatic, hydraulic self-centering steer-by-wire steering, ...). I reckoned, these cars were still young(ish) enough to be in decent shape, Citroen did a lot for rust protection (which shows!) and last but not least they are dirt cheap in Germany. You can pick up a well cared for example with lots of life left in it for under two grand and get a supremely comfortable car with AC, leather and good power.

Electrics are sometimes dodgy, but usually its gunked up switches and other stuff you can get in and clean or repair with a little work. The hydraulics are much better than their reputation. They are quite rugged and well developed at this point, as they reach back to the DS. The engines are all well made as well, with the exception of the bigger Diesel. I got the older SOHC gasoline V6 with a timing chain, which is rated for 167HP. The chain will outlast the rest of the engine and which is running well and using no oil.

If you are able to do some work and willing to read up on the car, the XM is not the worst car to pick.

I've only ever seen a handful of these around, all of them incredibly dilapidated but somehow still driving. Never worked on one, I've always wondered what the fancy-suspension citroens were like reliability-wise!

NitroSpazzz posted:

GDCS didn't feel like playing in the mountains today I guess

Going to go through and replace everything in the cooling system while I'm at it. Changing to the spring clamp type as well instead of the screw type.

Something something BMW cooling systems. I see you're also using the non-bmw-approved naughty coolant.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Catronos posted:

Holy poo poo, this exact thing happened to me twice, on either side in the time I owned a Chrysler, in the span of 5 months. Both times happened when I reversed out of a driveway, thank gently caress it wasn't when I was on a highway.

Happened on my Vision, too. Apparently wasn't an uncommon occurrence on the LH cars.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

French cars, huh?

Peugeot 206 rear suspension bearing.

So far (in this life) I've done that twice on a 405, once on a 306 and I'll probably just do it preventively on the 106.

I'm starting to get the hang of it now.

How did the axle look like, sometimes the wear on the axle is bad enough to chew up the bearing quickly enough that you'll have to do it all over a year later (which is also the reason I've done it twice on a 405...)?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Something something BMW cooling systems. I see you're also using the non-bmw-approved naughty coolant.

poo poo that must have been the culprit, time for :hitler: BMW coolant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

How did the axle look like, sometimes the wear on the axle is bad enough to chew up the bearing quickly enough that you'll have to do it all over a year later (which is also the reason I've done it twice on a 405...)?
Axle doesn't look wonderful, but hopefully a light rubbing down will give a good enough surface for it to run on.

It's a dirt cheap car that's getting fixed so it's safe/MOT-able and sold on. "Good enough" is, well, good enough, and I've got more faith in a new bearing and grease on an old shaft than I do on an unknown-quantity secondhand beam.