Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Dekus swollen, sand-dragging pair of brass balls are his true superpower.

That panel where he snaps his fingers back in place with his mouth so he can do another smash? Disgustingly awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Dekus swollen, sand-dragging pair of brass balls are his true superpower.

That panel where he snaps his fingers back in place with his mouth so he can do another smash? Disgustingly awesome.

I think he actually popped his cheek with his fingers to throw another one out, not used it to set his fingers. I could be wrong though

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yeah, if you check out a later panel it looks like he's torn a chunk out of his cheek or something.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The problem was that he couldn't move his fingers in the first place though. He couldn't do a smash, so he re-set them and broke em again. Hardcore poo poo.

Thats why Concrete Man is on the phone doing his best JR impression. :bahgawd: "Will someone stop the drat match?! Enough's enough!" :bahgawd:

ZiegeDame posted:

Yeah, if you check out a later panel it looks like he's torn a chunk out of his cheek or something.

That's just blood from his fingers. He's also got blood on his teeth where he bit down in order to fix them. The sound effect for the panel where he does it is "Gu", which is "to clench or grip", and also "to pull with a jerk". Feels right to me.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I know that "protagonist really loving never gives up" is like the clichest of cliches, but there's something in this manga that really makes the protagonist likable when he goes full stubborn. I don't know, this might be just me but I just think it's done really well here. Probably helps a lot that Deku isn't just a loud an obnoxious kid. I think it might also be the fact that this manga really, really sells how he has to work for his wins as opposed to just screaming he won't give up.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Hopeford posted:

I know that "protagonist really loving never gives up" is like the clichest of cliches, but there's something in this manga that really makes the protagonist likable when he goes full stubborn. I don't know, this might be just me but I just think it's done really well here. Probably helps a lot that Deku isn't just a loud an obnoxious kid. I think it might also be the fact that this manga really, really sells how he has to work for his wins as opposed to just screaming he won't give up.

Hero Academia is not the most original of mangas, but the cliches it uses it uses drat well.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bad Seafood posted:

Revving up for the mountains of text as we speak.

Assuming you mean me, I've already said anything I'd want to say the last few weeks and nothing this week really changed my mind on any of it. If Todoroki wins I'll be fairly disappointed in the mangaka for going that route personally, though this week certainly makes it seem more likely just given the sheer brutality Midoriya has to use to continue fighting. The only thing I suppose I'd add is that Aikawa is basically our window in to the setting in the context of this fight, and while he does say that he can't simply let Midoriya abuse healing given it may take multiple sessions he also notes that he's getting a handle on it and that it doesn't really matter because there's something greater driving Midoriya and causing him to overcome the pain. That speech to me suggests that he believes Midoriya could keep tramping on, even if he comes out of his next healing session less than perfect.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

This may have slipped your mind Tsob but I too have written walls of text on this subject.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This manga is so goddamn good.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Hopeford posted:

Part of it I think is that, owing to the nature of his powers, we know he's actually hurting himself when he does this sort of thing, rather than him appearing only scratched and claiming it means he's severely injured.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Good job Todoroki.

Now all you have to do once you've surpassed All Might is go up to your father and say, "Now you're third best."

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is pretty different from the usual "I'll never give up!!!111" shounen protagonists since his injuries are loving gruesome as opposed to "ugh! crosshatches!". Also the art-style pretty plainly emphasizes the sheer agonizing pain he's in.

also read the page where Todoroki and his Mom are watching All Might and he explains why he says "For I'M here". :unsmith:

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 17, 2015

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I also really liked putting the chapter title at the end, to emphasize this moment as Todoroki's "awakening" (for lack of a better word).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Deku is a really odd sort of healing-type.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Would it be bad if Todoroki loses because he couldn't control his fire due to lack of practice? Not saying he will lose, just that it's a possibility.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Something occurred to me while driving home today, to further fuel the ongoing "Can Deku ever lose under any circumstances ever?" debate.

Gadget Girl "Lost" her round against Iida (or rather forfeited), yet she got what she wanted which was to show off all her inventions. This is important because of how it ties in to the greater goal of the Sports Festival, which isn't just to win but to make a strong showing in front of the hero community at large. Mind Control Kid lost too, yet the stands were in an uproar over his quirk's utility. Of course everyone wants to win, but there are still other gains to be made even in losing.

Deku's goal is to reveal himself as All Might's successor, the most obvious avenue to which is securing ultimate victory in the tournament. However, as the series has been pretty blatant about preaching (in this very chapter even), it's not your abilities that define you but your character. All Might picked Deku to be his successor because of his selflessness, his willingness to put others before himself. Even when Deku had no powers, it was his qualities as a person that marked him as a hero. Even when he thought he failed the entrance exam, he still made it in by displaying true heroism.

Suffice to say, he could still lose the tournament (here or later) while still staying true to his mission. Regardless of whether or not he beats Todoroki, he just successfully pulled a warrior therapist in front of millions of viewers and freed a fellow classmate from his inner demons on national television. His own rival even, putting his opponent's "Salvation" ahead of his own shot at victory.

Deku doesn't need to announce himself as All Might's successor, his actions have spoken for him. He could still lose out on the material rewards knowing in his heart he's achieved something greater (which ties in neatly with Jump's "~FRIENDSHIP~" thing they've got going).

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Would it be bad if Todoroki loses because he couldn't control his fire due to lack of practice? Not saying he will lose, just that it's a possibility.

No, that'd be great. Because it would draw a nice comparison to Deku using his abilities, because he has to if he ever wants to be any good at it, even though using them is "uncomfortable" for him.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

NecroMonster posted:

No, that'd be great. Because it would draw a nice comparison to Deku using his abilities, because he has to if he ever wants to be any good at it, even though using them is "uncomfortable" for him.

I agree. It would also mean that Todoroki has a new goal going forward: to master his powers fully, rather than relying on what he's already known for so long.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Todoroki should just make friends with Deku and All-Might publicly and declare that he wants to master his powers both for himself and so he can be a great hero and savior of people like All Might.

That would be about the biggest "no, gently caress you dad!" he could ever really manage.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Twiddy posted:

Now all you have to do once you've surpassed All Might is go up to your father and say, "Now you're third best."

NecroMonster posted:

Todoroki should just make friends with Deku and All-Might publicly and declare that he wants to master his powers both for himself and so he can be a great hero and savior of people like All Might.

That would be about the biggest "no, gently caress you dad!" he could ever really manage.
Either of these would be solid gold, honestly.

Hopefully we'll somehow get both.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Goddamn I love this manga.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Allarion posted:

Goddamn I love this manga.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Twiddy posted:

Good job Todoroki.

This would be such a goddamn slam-dunk.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Todoroki looks terrifying in that last page. Sorry Deku, but I want to see him going up against Bakugou.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

chumbler posted:

Todoroki looks terrifying in that last page. Sorry Deku, but I want to see him going up against Bakugou.

Todoroki can't smile to save his life can he?

Also Dickbag Dad is loving this poo poo SO HARD.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Yeah Firedad has yet to realise what it actually means. He feels he's finally getting what he wants.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How is this doing ratings wise? Would be poo poo if it got cancelled

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Jose posted:

My understanding is it's doing very well.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I don't know the numbers. But this isn't getting canceled any time soon.

Freaking fantastic chapter btw.

Edit pretty reliably in the top 5 every week. Often at number one.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 18, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

I love that expression. It just seems to convey a wide range of emotions. Joy, sadness, confusion, relief, exasperation, etc. etc.

The author does extreme expressions really well. Like the Torodoki vs Sero fight, right before Torodoki unleashes his attack. Bakugou when he's pissed. And so on.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Jose posted:

it's the new big thing, people are expecting that it'll be the next big shonen to replace naruto/bleach

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Way back on like the 4th page of the series:

Aaand

v:v:v

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

Way back on like the 4th page of the series:

Wonder if the guy behind her is fire dad. I've always figured he had an asian dragon theme going on... think it's the mustache. Also abs.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Mraagvpeine posted:

You know, I was wondering about a satisfying way that Todoroki could actually lose this fight. Dude;s been shown to be way too powerful for it to be easy for Deku to just win. I really like this idea of him sacrificing this short term victory to learn to use a power he's been neglecting out of spite.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I keep wondering if Deku is going to end up like Shizuo Heiwajima from Durarara -- essentially breaking every bone at every location on his body, healing stronger, and being able to deal with the excessive force his quirk places on his body.

So far, there is no indication that will happen, but I keep expecting it to hoping it to.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'd imagine Endeavor has been forcing Todoroki to learn how to use his fire side. He can control it enough to not hurt others when he frees them from his ice as well.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, Todoroki's probably got some experience using his fire powers, he just refuses to use them on principle.

Gotta say though, wasn't expecting this turn around so soon. Gonna dig it if Todoroki joins Deku's circle of friends after this. Kind of hilarious some people thought he'd fill the token dark and troubled slot only for him to already be dealing with his emotional problems.

What I'm saying is this manga is good.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, Todoroki's probably got some experience using his fire powers, he just refuses to use them on principle.
Oh yeah he has to, but having powers become combat ready takes a lot of work. Especially since he's most likely been advancing his ice half without balancing his fire half at all. No matter how you spin it, he's got lots of work to do and it's gonna start out looking really clunky (probably only to pros though, he's got enough power that the flash overshadows the inability to anyone else).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I also would've been okay with Todoroki doubling down on his resolve. I guess it would've been difficult to have that happen while also getting him out of the genius brooding sadboy role, but at some point I feel like someone's got to respond to Midoriya's bullheadedness with equal or greater force. Like, saying "alright well I guess I shouldn't let my rear end in a top hat dad rule my life, but I'm not using this power for my own sake" would've been fine. Pulling the "everyone else is trying their hardest but you're holding back" card could've also been sent right back Midoriya's way because both he and Todoroki have technically been holding back their full power.

I dunno. I'm sure things will be great either way but it just seems like kind of an early spot for an already extremely strong character to essentially get a x2 power boost.