Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

Don't get discouraged, you made an awesome game. Especially the diplomacy system is amazing. I can't think of another game (okay I can think of one, but I'd rather not since it's MoO3) where I can have a proper diplomatic war that doesn't involve any actual fighting. I've got a save where I've got a completely war-less battle for supremacy in the galaxy where everyone's just trying to annex planets and grab as much diplomatic power as possible. I'm sure there'll be war eventually, but by the time it rolls out the winner will have been determined already with diplomacy.

The diplomacy mechanic really is possibly the most unique strength of the game. It's a good game, but I can't think of any other game that does diplomacy as well as this one does.

Your steam page is doing well with reviews, which is a good sign, I think if you can get the coverage the game will sell well, especially with more patches/content, it's just getting it out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

My main complaint would be that I'm not sure what happens if I ignore diplomacy to concentrate on shootyships, but I bet it's bad. I like shootyships :(

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

My main complaint would be that I'm not sure what happens if I ignore diplomacy to concentrate on shootyships, but I bet it's bad. I like shootyships :(

You can basically ignore diplomacy if you really want BUT you should keep an eye on the popups from it, at least glancing at new proposals. Otherwise you will miss when an empire is trying to annex one of your planets or is trying to make other stuff happen to you.

So every now and then spend any Influence you have saved up on good cards to throw out as down votes when someone is messing with you. If you want to focus on combat you'll also want to play the Name Flagship cards.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
How much diplomacy you do should really depend on what kind of planets you get nearby. If you get mostly money planets you're set for massive fleets. If you get tons of influence you better be prepared to play the diplomacy market. There is very little input and output for cash in diplomacy. Although Energy is incredibly powerful in diplomacy too - if you can snag some energy clash cards and you generate a lot of power you can straight up dominate any vote.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

You probably won't suffer any major issues from ignoring it, but it is powerful if you do it right, particularly if you co-operate with other empires so it is ideally suited to multiplayer games.

I would personally like some automation to the diplomacy, being able to set up rules for purchases of cards and such, as it demands quite a lot of attention to do it properly but not a massive amount of actual planning, you just have to watch the card ticker a lot.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

You can basically ignore diplomacy if you really want BUT you should keep an eye on the popups from it, at least glancing at new proposals. Otherwise you will miss when an empire is trying to annex one of your planets or is trying to make other stuff happen to you.

So every now and then spend any Influence you have saved up on good cards to throw out as down votes when someone is messing with you. If you want to focus on combat you'll also want to play the Name Flagship cards.

Checking what cards are available when you cap your influence out is worth it, no matter what your strategy is even if you plan on mostly ignoring diplomacy. Naming planets/fleets and upgrading them, big money cards and keeping a pile of cards to shoot down other people's stuff is important.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
The work on the research system upgrade continues.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Firgof posted:

I like it. Something like that is prefarable to the sort of wall of eye-glazingly-dense info it currently has. It's a lot easier to comprehend paths that way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Firgof posted:

That reads much better than the previous one.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Firgof posted:

Yeah that's the good poo poo there, y'all are cool and good.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Firgof posted:

Thats a great improvement already. :D

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah that is going to be much more useable even if none of the mechanics of how research works changes - that visual overhaul alone should make most of the complaints go away.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
I find these changes improve the readability of the zoomed out view as well. Though I need to figure out what to do with the text.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would personally request not having it the same colour as the icon, because I'm colourblind so I can't read it very well at the best of times.

Not crossing the icon in general would be nice, maybe write it diagonally along the top right or something? Slightly stylish and keeps it high contrast and scalable.

Like this:

Could conceivably have it enlarge/contract depending on mouse proximity/whether it's the furthest extent of your research.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 18, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Zoom based on mouse location is kind of a neat idea, I'd say if possible have the various options on check boxes on the side, so if people don't like something like that they can turn it off easily. Personally angled script like that would drive me insane.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angles are the future, the space future, everything is angled, and light blue, and animated, light blue spinning angled text that scrolls across the screen in random directions. Web 2.0.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
If you can, a filter for research would be nice too. I was trying to build a specific ship from the community tab and could not for the life of me find the tech I needed. A search box (or some way to click on a tech and have it show you the bubbles that grant it) would be really great.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Filters could be interesting. I'll have to ask Lucas about the feasibility of that and how we might implement it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Firgof posted:

I find these changes improve the readability of the zoomed out view as well. Though I need to figure out what to do with the text.

So much better

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So what is generally consided not worth it weapon wise for early support ship fleets. I am finding that to be the hardest part during the early game so far now

Speaking of early game I tried my hand at a one ship wonder flagship. I never new torpedo launchers could act like area of effect bombs in space :stare:

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Stevefin posted:

So what is generally consided not worth it weapon wise for early support ship fleets. I am finding that to be the hardest part during the early game so far now

Speaking of early game I tried my hand at a one ship wonder flagship. I never new torpedo launchers could act like area of effect bombs in space :stare:

I find all three support weapons to be quite useful and do distinctively different thing. The least useful is probably very small laser due to damage mitigation.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Alright. I finally got out of the early game and got a full empire going, only to be attacked by the Oko :v:

Speaking of them, They seem almost...too good? all the games I have played they have just wiped the floor with everyone

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Good news, you got covered by Scott Manley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pChmQz6FpR0

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Aye, was in the stream providing Scott and the viewers my knowledgebase. Fun was had by all - it was a great stream.

We hope it's the start of something great.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You know what would be cool? If the systems slowly revolved around the galactic center.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Checking what cards are available when you cap your influence out is worth it, no matter what your strategy is even if you plan on mostly ignoring diplomacy. Naming planets/fleets and upgrading them, big money cards and keeping a pile of cards to shoot down other people's stuff is important.

It would be nice if you could see the cards from the galaxy map, its a bit of a hassle to remember to check it all the time.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Firgof, just wanted to let you know that I bought it specifically to support you guys even though I don't have a chance to play right now. I've always enjoyed reading your development process, so I really hope you guys don't need to close.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

PhantomZero posted:

It would be nice if you could see the cards from the galaxy map, its a bit of a hassle to remember to check it all the time.

There is an option to show that, you just have to select it from that long list which has things like show active flagships. The only bad part is telling which cards are available at a glance.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
So for a person playing the game who has a decent size stream is there a noticeable uptick in sales? Or is it more gradual until a site with a larger readerbase covers it? I'm curious (and hoping you guys start pulling them in)

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

More and more interesting mods are rolling out for this, which is a good sign.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Some more progress on the research screen.

quote:

So for a person playing the game who has a decent size stream is there a noticeable uptick in sales?

Scott Manley's video did have a noticeable effect on our sales but prior to his stream I didn't really notice much traffic change.
Overall I'd say we're maintaining our rates right now rather than them increasing or decreasing due to the posting of that video.
Unfortunately a stable trend, though nice, is not an upwards trend - which is what we need.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 22, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This mod is pretty cool, allows a lot of customisation of how each of the weapons operates. Lets you build really varied and specialized versions of each of the weapons, would love to see stuff like this in the base game.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I picked up the game because of Scott Manley's stream, before I found this thread, so I can tell you helped out with at least one sale, haha.

Is there a proper strategy for what planets should be leveled beyond just making sure every resource planet gets to the level that allows exports? What planets should be leveled to four and beyond?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Native extra pressure is nice to have, the scaling resources are obvious level 4/5 candidates too. Then you can also go by number of tiles (that'll matter in the extreme end game where you have the money to put down enough imperial buildings to consume all slots) or planets that have lots of Ore Asteroids nearby (another late game thing - although you can ignore it if you just drag the ore asteroids to the destination planet with tractor beams).

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
It also depends heavily on the race you're playing. The Feyh, for example, get a lot out of pushing their homeworld to 4-5 because the Homeworld altar comes with free food/water, which while easily replicable is still free resources on a world type that would normally have zero no matter what. In lieu of better options, the homeworld is usually a good choice, in fact, because it's generally an exceptionally large world, even if it has no other resource benefits. Level 3 resource worlds are also decent candidates, if for no other reason you're going to get it to level 3 anyway so you might as well keep going.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Generally I would recommend focusing on scaling resources, as a good scaling world can make your game, especially if it's the one that gives you artifacts, for example.

Then I would suggest trying to get a ringworld up ASAP, mine all your ore rocks and build a ringworld somewhere strategically valuable, then export everything to that for extra income of everything.

Otherwise I would suggest that a slightly more distributed system is best, name all your level 1+ worlds, because that gives you a bunch of extra pop and income.

I don't know if the game still scales tax output based on the native resource level of the planet, but if so, high level resource worlds would be a good idea too, though the precise numbers would be needed to tell you whether it's better to do that, or to spend the time leveling up a lot of smaller worlds and naming them.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Good information, thanks.

What's the best way to approach systems with worm holes? I've got an entire galaxy to myself, and the other side of the worm hole has the galaxy with computer players. Throw a bunch of defense stations into the worm hole system?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Enemies can slowboat to your galaxy quite easily, but yes, fortifying the main access point would make sense as it is probably how a lot of their fleets are likely to arrive.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So I'm strongly considering getting this because I played the hell outta the original Star Ruler, even if I was pretty much objectively awful at it, and I've just got a couple of questions. I noticed you can build things like artificial planets and ringworlds, but can you still construct ships so massive they have damage output and health measured in billions/trillions or even higher? And can you still create ships strong enough to annihilate planets, stars, other celestial objects, and more or less any and everything? I always did like how things could pretty much scale endlessly with size.

I'm also curious what modding potential there might be, as SR1 did have a handful of mods I quite enjoyed playing around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
There appears to be no upper limit on how large ships can be. I cranked the scale up to 9 million in the sandbox before I got bored, which made the ship as big as like three stars. Actually constructing it is another story though.

• Locked thread