Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I lived in Milton Keynes for several years and this thread is very triggering for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

How the gently caress did it get to that stage so fast?

You know how people were just spamming the vanilla buildings with all the vanilla props when the game first came out?
Now they're spamming (other peoples) custom models with (other peoples) custom props.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

crabrock posted:

my college town has the opposite problem. they put "art" in the middle of an intersection, now people think it's a roundabout, blow through the stop sign and swerve into the crosswalks with pedestrians.

real genius move there, guys.

http://www.krcrtv.com/north-coast-news/news/arcata-public-works-addresses-intersection-confusion/31790730

Seriously, what were they thinking would happen when they plop down a giant circle on the pavement across an entire intersection? :confused:

edit: The proposed solution is "put flags on top the stop signs" instead of "stop confusing drivers and clearly endangering pedestrians" :confused::confused: sorry but your city is pretty dumb in this instance

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 17, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mr. nobody posted:

Seriously, what were they thinking would happen when they plop down a giant circle on the pavement across an entire intersection? :confused:

Figured they'd continue texting on their phones and never notice.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

xzzy posted:

Figured they'd continue texting on their phones and never notice.

As a pedestrian, I recognize this situation also.

*sits in left turn lane texting whatever, watching netflix on phone*
*sees light is yellow, guns it without looking*

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

the whole thing is pretty lol. there's a longer, more inflammatory article somewhere. I don't live there anymore, so I can take none of the responsibility for the bike wheel pedestrian killing car art.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Am I doing roundabouts right?

Now with arrows to make things even more confusing!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's pretty, but.. why?

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

hailthefish posted:

It's pretty, but.. why?

Because he is a mayor who answers to no one. :911:

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

hailthefish posted:

It's pretty, but.. why?

Every highway is connected to all the others. That way, cars can exit onto any highway regardless of which one they're entering from.

Also, it looks pretty.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Curvature of Earth posted:

Every highway is connected to all the others. That way, cars can exit onto any highway regardless of which one they're entering from.

Also, it looks pretty.

Except it's not fully connected.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

all the roads go to a giant roundabout in the sky, and have something coming off.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There would be much more efficient ways to do a giant sky roundabout.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Forget street racing in Cities:Skyline

what I want is CRAZY TAXI in Cities Skyline

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
MC Escher, town planner.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Cities: Skylines: Cops and Robbers would be pretty fun

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jintor posted:

Forget street racing in Cities:Skyline

what I want is CRAZY TAXI in Cities Skyline

Crazy Hearse

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Curvature of Earth posted:

Am I doing roundabouts right?

Now with arrows to make things even more confusing!

Imagine you're driving along any of those roads and you want to turn left. Just follow the car's path to make a simple left. Every direction needs to go pretty much entirely around the roundabout, passing every single intersection in there. It's kind of crazy.

Now keep in mind right turns are super easy and don't even deal with that knot in the sky... you have that whole thing up there just for left turns (and U turns) and they're really silly.

It is kind of mesmerizing though. And, uh... U-turns are kind of okay and actually somewhat important given the canal between lanes you have there..

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, the right turns aren't bad, and the u-turn lanes aren't bad, but left turns are a giant curlycue through the sky.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Renounced posted:

Because he is a mayor who answers to no one. :911:

This. Now enter the sky spiral and enjoy a real man, making real decisions about traffic!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

kefkafloyd posted:

How the gently caress does this game have dependencies? Shouldn't buildings/parks/etc include all the required stuff in the first place?

Mods have dependencies.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
CO has announced that the tunnel and wall to wall building patch will be at least one month away from now.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2Fapril-progress-update.851539%2F

They are also doing a Q and A in that thread if you want to read an official forum thread past the OP.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Still trying to get good at making maps, curious what people think about this attempt:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

Still trying to get good at making maps, curious what people think about this attempt:

Looks interesting. Not totally flat and boring but it doesn't look so hilly that you'd have huge issues building stuff.

ToastyPotato posted:

CO has announced that the tunnel and wall to wall building patch will be at least one month away from now.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2Fapril-progress-update.851539%2F

They are also doing a Q and A in that thread if you want to read an official forum thread past the OP.

Wall to wall building is pretty cool. I really want to somehow be able to assign a theme to certain assets and then be able to designate a district to only allow growables that correspond to that theme. I want to use those Belgian buildings someone put on the workshop because they look amazing but it'd look really out of place for them to be scattered around with other more modern buildings.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Moridin920 posted:

Looks interesting. Not totally flat and boring but it doesn't look so hilly that you'd have huge issues building stuff.

Wall to wall building is pretty cool. I really want to somehow be able to assign a theme to certain assets and then be able to designate a district to only allow growables that correspond to that theme. I want to use those Belgian buildings someone put on the workshop because they look amazing but it'd look really out of place for them to be scattered around with other more modern buildings.

what they really, really need are buildings that can occupy a row-house or non-square/rectangular footprint:

code:

====
|XX|
|X-|

=====
|XXX|
|XX-|
|X--|

=====
|X--|
|X--|
|X--|
etc. This would make curved roads a lot less onerous.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It'd be nice if buildings could have yards that would expand to fill gaps.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

MikeJF posted:

It'd be nice if buildings could have yards that would expand to fill gaps.

Maybe like a set of 1-tile residential buildings?

- Yard with a shed on it
- Vegetable Garden
- Driveway
- Lawn w/ jockey

etc.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Hubis posted:

Maybe like a set of 1-tile residential buildings?

- Yard with a shed on it
- Vegetable Garden
- Driveway
- Lawn w/ jockey

etc.

This mod has the following dependencies:

- Nudist neighbour bending over while weeding
- Suspicious-smelling shed with a lot of power cables going into it
- Next door's cat making GBS threads on your prize dahlias

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"

A 90 degree left turn becomes a 450 degree journey

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah it's kind of what I'm going for, the hard part is coaxing the terrain generation software I'm using to actually do it. You wouldn't think this stuff is time consuming and yet it manages to be exactly that.

I love building in valleys, I don't know why.

The tunnel update should make it even more fun, I'm slobbering for it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Inspector_666 posted:

Mods have dependencies.

Well, yes, I meant that I thought mods should be able to include all of their necessary bits if you want to. Is that not true?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's probably true but 'why bloat the filesize of my mod when I can just make them download the dependency' is probably the thinking.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Sometimes you have an idea to do something, and spend ages tinkering away to get it to work, then you take a look back over your work and think 'what have i wrought?'

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

It's probably true but 'why bloat the filesize of my mod when I can just make them download the dependency' is probably the thinking.

No it's just about modularization. If I make a building that also has a custom lamp post prop, and I want to be able to use that custom lamp post in other assets, then it makes sense to have that lamp post be a separate, dependent prop.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, fair enough.

It's not really that big of a deal imo since the Steam workshop makes it easy. Tells you 'Hey make sure you have these dependencies!' and lets you subscribe to them easily.

It was hell in SC4 because one mod site would have an ~essential mod~ and the dependencies for it would be on a second site and the dependencies for those would be on a third site, and they all require registration.

Kinda like the Sims in that regard.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

I love trains.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really like using the first person mode camera on my trains and just following them around.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

"When I'm cleanin' windahs!"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I really hope part of this mega patch is a ton of new growable buildings. Its cool that the workshop has tons, but it would be nice for the base game to have tons by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

quote:

What is known is that the update will allow players to create tunnels, and introduce support for wall-to-wall buildings.

That implies new buildings I think, not sure they would introduce support without examples?
Personally hoping for some kind of sea wall or embankment.

Friction posted:

I love trains.

Very nice, links to the filler lots please.