Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

corn in the bible posted:

i'm genuinely loving astonished that anyone remembers my legie LP

Are you kidding? It was gloriously insane!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
The Legie LP felt like one of the best applications of the medium in recent memory, at least to me. Super obscure game from a country not really known for its video game output to begin with that's weird and clunky but really funny and genuinely worthwhile. Definitely a memorable thread!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dazzling Addar posted:

The Legie LP felt like one of the best applications of the medium in recent memory, at least to me. Super obscure game from a country not really known for its video game output to begin with that's weird and clunky but really funny and genuinely worthwhile. Definitely a memorable thread!

And for as much fun as it is to watch, there's no way in hell that you'd want to actually play it.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
Anyone have a recommendation for an LP of the first Witcher? I'm playing through the second one but I doubt I'd be able to get through both in time for the release of 3.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

Let me put it this way: I am Czech and I am NOT touching those with a ten foot pole. The development scene here was pretty weird: there was no experience or talent working on game design in the nineties and the only thing that really happened were point-and-click adventures.
Why? They are simple - no need for an engine capable of anything more than scripted events. So there is a rich history of lovely "comedic" adventure games ranging from mid-nineties (which is where the Polda series got started - based on the all-time favorite folk pastime, policeman jokes, then it moved to parodying local celebrities and politicians) to now.
Now, whatever you think about the contemporary "serious" adventure games (and those are indeed horrible because there is not a single competent writer in the entire country) there is one thing to keep in mind: they used to be so. much. worse.

edit: Sorry about the style, turns out battle.net disables the ability of my computer to switch keyboard language to anything with apostrophes.

I own a huge box copy of Polda 3, arguably the worst game I've ever paid for. Though yeah, there's no way that poo poo would work after translation. Even the voice actors were chosen as sort of cultural inside jokes.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Polda 5 was released in Russia. rear end jokes everywhere.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They should've released Polda 4, that one is full of Russian jokes. But yeah, I forgot about the VA; the protagonist, for example, is voiced by a comedy actor who specializes in portraying stupidity.

edit: Or was it 5? The one where the Russians build a time machine?
Point is they're games that manage to be both horrible and unfunny and there's really no merit to LP'ing something that missed even its intended audience of one tiny-rear end country.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 17, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Are there any other glitch-run LPs like MeccaPrime's Link's Awakening?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The two other popular glitch LP's I know of are Elephantgun's run of Final Fantasy VI and Metroixer's run of Pokemon Blue, both fantastic reads.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Sadly the videos of the Pokemon LP are gone. And no, they are not on archives.org.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

AstroWhale posted:

Sadly the videos of the Pokemon LP are gone. And no, they are not on archives.org.
It looks like some are up on his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/metroixer/featured

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

They should've released Polda 4, that one is full of Russian jokes. But yeah, I forgot about the VA; the protagonist, for example, is voiced by a comedy actor who specializes in portraying stupidity.

edit: Or was it 5? The one where the Russians build a time machine?
Point is they're games that manage to be both horrible and unfunny and there's really no merit to LP'ing something that missed even its intended audience of one tiny-rear end country.

I suppose the only Czech adventure game with some sort of influence was Posel smrti, aka Black Mirror. I believe there's a German company making sequels to that pile of garbage even today, like fifteen years later. Germans just love dry, unoriginal adventure games.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

fool_of_sound posted:

Are there any other glitch-run LPs like MeccaPrime's Link's Awakening?

Youtube user SwordlessLink does LPs where he exploits glitches as much as possible, generally in the interest of showing them off but also usually to meet some sort of condition, such as completing the temples in Ocarina of Time in reverse order or beating Super Mario 64 DS without collecting a single coin. I recommend starting with the Ocarina LP to see whether you like his style - late in the Mario 64 DS LP, he starts getting angry at the game and it's considerably less fun to watch. Still neat to see, but probably more so if you're that devoted by then.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Nidoking posted:

Youtube user SwordlessLink does LPs where he exploits glitches as much as possible, generally in the interest of showing them off but also usually to meet some sort of condition, such as completing the temples in Ocarina of Time in reverse order or beating Super Mario 64 DS without collecting a single coin. I recommend starting with the Ocarina LP to see whether you like his style - late in the Mario 64 DS LP, he starts getting angry at the game and it's considerably less fun to watch. Still neat to see, but probably more so if you're that devoted by then.

I really enjoyed him for a while but late in most of his LPs he gets really whiny about the game and yeah, way less fun to watch.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I think SwordlessLink's OoT LP is really good and Donkey Kong was mostly interesting. That being said, I'm not sure if I'd feel the same way if I rewatched them as his style is getting really grating to me. Banjo-Tooie was really boring, but Super Mario 64 DS tries my patience to whole new levels as he refuses to edit out any of his hundred attempts to perform a glitch and then starts getting pissed off. I never finished watching it.

I got really excited when I saw he was doing Majora's Mask because I thought it could be a return to form and I love that game, but I ended up quitting the first episode not even halfway through after he
1) refused to edit out cutscenes but instead just playing them in fast forward, mostly defeating the point in leaving them in in the first place,
2) grinded for rupees in the first screen for several minutes, and
3) failed a cutscene skip.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Aww man, that's really disappointing. I just found his OoT run like last week and I was gonna check out his other LPs after but they sound really bad in comparison. :(

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Honestly I really like his stuff. Yeah, he gets a little whiny toward the end of some of the series, and yeah the MM "fast forward through cutscenes" is a really weird (and bad) compromise, but on the whole he's really good at what he does. I would definitely agree that Ocarina and DK64 are his best videos though.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

ChorpSaway just started a double feature LP of Drake of the 99 Dragons and (disguised as the 'cut' version) Drake and Josh on GBA. Holy loving poo poo, what buggy, ridiculous, unplayable, awful garbage. Drake of the 99 Dragons features some fourteen year old's badass undead assassin OC (don't steal!) constantly breaking his arms trying to aim at things and frequently finding himself and others trapped in corners. Drake and Josh is based off a Disney preteen sitcom and features the protagonist using women to solve puzzles for him in a school the size of a city. They're both completely amazing and you should be watching them.

Camel Pimp posted:

Well I'm hooked.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 20, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

dancingbears posted:

They're both completely amazing and you should be watching them.
Yes. Absolutely. :stare: I never imagined a shooter can be that broken. Or that Solid Snake should carry a guitar to lure women onto switches.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

dancingbears posted:

ChorpSaway just started a double feature LP of Drake of the 99 Dragons and (disguised as the 'cut' version) Drake and Josh on GBA. Holy loving poo poo, what buggy, ridiculous, unplayable, awful garbage. Drake of the 99 Dragons features some fourteen year old's badass undead assassin OC (don't steal!) constantly breaking his arms trying to aim at things and frequently finding himself and others trapped in corners.

You forgot to mention that after Drake gets some supernatural power in the first level he decides that he's invincible and jumps out of a twenty-story building.

Turns out he's wrong.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I was pretty cold towards it at first, but I have come to love Melth's max-rank Hector Hard Mode run of Fire Emblem (7).

It had a somewhat rocky start what with some, uh, really kinda awful technical issues but those got cleared up right fast and the LP got down to business, business being; thoroughly demystifying one of the most demanding Fire Emblem challenges out there. If you've ever gone full :spergin: over Fire Emblem mechanics in any of the many other Fire Emblem threads we've had, you're probably going to like this thread a lot. Mostly, it's a celebration of the tiniest mechanics you never knew were so important, and a demonstration that FE7 is much, much more carefully designed than perhaps it seems at first.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You forgot to mention that after Drake gets some supernatural power in the first level he decides that he's invincible and jumps out of a twenty-story building.

Turns out he's wrong.

To be fair I'd do the exact same thing.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

Fedule posted:

I was pretty cold towards it at first, but I have come to love Melth's max-rank Hector Hard Mode run of Fire Emblem (7).

It had a somewhat rocky start what with some, uh, really kinda awful technical issues but those got cleared up right fast and the LP got down to business, business being; thoroughly demystifying one of the most demanding Fire Emblem challenges out there. If you've ever gone full :spergin: over Fire Emblem mechanics in any of the many other Fire Emblem threads we've had, you're probably going to like this thread a lot. Mostly, it's a celebration of the tiniest mechanics you never knew were so important, and a demonstration that FE7 is much, much more carefully designed than perhaps it seems at first.

I'll second this. Melth is really scratching the same itch that Orange Fluffy Sheep did in his LPs. I love to see someone demonstrate mastery of a game, and Melth does a good job of explaining why he's doing what he does in a way few LPers do. Not to criticize Artix, but half of his LP is levelup screens.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I mean you're not wrong, I have a list a mile long of things that I would change if I ever were to redo that LP, but this isn't really the place to go into that. What I will say is that while I'm not a fan of Melth's LP for a variety of reasons, it is a very good LP and I'm glad he's doing it so I can point at his thread instead of mine now.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Turns out he's wrong.

I know youre talking about the "uncut" videos but I would kill for that episode of Drake & Josh

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Fedule posted:

Agreed, I'm really enjoying the tactical and strategic discussions.

I would suggest that if the story/character discussion annoys you - and it's likely it will - just start skipping those parts. You won't miss anything important to the run, and it'll be easier on your blood pressure.

Are there any other LPs in a similar vein, where somebody goes really in-depth into a game and explains all their options and decisions for the class, while pulling off a difficult run? I really like the style.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Currently looking for some good phone-friendly SSLPs (sometimes images have a bunch of small text that doesn't transfer well) I can read on the go, finished or otherwise. I tend to like RPGs, and I've read TWD's FF9 and am already following the FF7 and FF8 LPs, as well as The Dark Id's Drakengard 3

any thoughts?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

morallyobjected posted:

Currently looking for some good phone-friendly SSLPs (sometimes images have a bunch of small text that doesn't transfer well) I can read on the go, finished or otherwise. I tend to like RPGs, and I've read TWD's FF9 and am already following the FF7 and FF8 LPs, as well as The Dark Id's Drakengard 3

any thoughts?

http://lparchive.org/Angband/

Given that it's a roguelike, the pictures aren't going to tell you as much as the text will, and they're small pictures besides.

I also wound up reading a lot of this LP on my phone while on a roadtrip: http://lparchive.org/Bloodnet/

It's a fascinating look at a terrible adventure game. No idea if it's up your alley, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I don't know about phone-friendly, but here are some of the better SSLPs of RPGs that I've seen:

Exit Fate
Last Scenario
The Legend of Dragoon
OFF
Lunar: The Silver Star
Lunar: Eternal Blue
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Some ongoing ones:
Chrono Trigger by Leavemywife
Final Fantasy Legend 2 by Chokes McGee
Mother 3 by Mega64
Hamtaro: Rainbow Rescue by Yapping Eevee

Some finished ones
MySims Agents by Picayune
Breath of Fire by Scintilla
Breath of Fire III by Rabbi Raccoon

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks for the recommendations all! Currently trying Bloodnet (I like watching adventure games, since I never really had the patience for many of them when I was younger) and it seems like it will be a good one, after Chapter 1. After that, it seems like Chrono Trigger and the Lunar games might be good, as I've played but not beaten the former and have heard good things about the latter.

While I was bringing it up, the FF8 LP by Cool Ghost is definitely worth checking out if you read SSLPs. Unlike Leovinus, he's giving the game a fair shake and highlighting the good parts, so it's a lot different and (I think) better for it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Chokes also did an excellent LP of the first Final Fantasy Legend, which is on the archive.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

By the way, what's the proper url for viewing a single post? This LP has so many pictures and gifs on a single multi-update page my firefox shits itself and stops rendering them.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

By the way, what's the proper url for viewing a single post? This LP has so many pictures and gifs on a single multi-update page my firefox shits itself and stops rendering them.

Click the # button under the avatar to get a link to a single post.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Click the # button under the avatar to get a link to a single post.
That still links to the full thread page, only it scrolls it down to the post in question.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

SelenicMartian posted:

That still links to the full thread page, only it scrolls it down to the post in question.

If you have the Last Read extension, there would be an extra button for that right there, but if not:

You take the link that the "#" button gives you and take the post ID from the end (so with your post we have this link -
code:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3649263&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post444325577
- meaning that the post ID is 444325577) and add it to the following:
code:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=
Resulting in the full link being
code:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=444325577

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Speaking of RPG LPs and the guy above me, I recommend http://lparchive.org/Unterwegs-in-Duesterburg/

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Speaking of RPG LPs and the guy above me, I recommend http://lparchive.org/Unterwegs-in-Duesterburg/

Seconded.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

TheMcD posted:

If you have the Last Read extension, there would be an extra button for that right there, but if not:

You take the link that the "#" button gives you and take the post ID from the end (so with your post we have this link -
code:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3649263&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post444325577
- meaning that the post ID is 444325577) and add it to the following:
code:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=
Resulting in the full link being
code:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=444325577

Thank you so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Anyone know of any good Risk of Rain players on Youtube? I recently picked up the game and wanna learn how to play better in the same vein of Beaglerush playing X-Com or Xaiter breaking Binding of Issac over his knee.