Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
I beat Eclipse and was within two mag dumps from beating final form but I got downed and the only enemy in range was down to a sliver of health then clipped through the floor. I'm not doing it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I really, really want to like the FFYL mechanic, but it seems like all too often the instant you hit FFYL all the enemies acquire a sense of self-preservation and duck behind things you can't get to or have mysteriously run the gently caress away within the last second or so. It'd be an okay mechanic if the enemy AI would play ball with it a bit better.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

I really, really want to like the FFYL mechanic, but it seems like all too often the instant you hit FFYL all the enemies acquire a sense of self-preservation and duck behind things you can't get to or have mysteriously run the gently caress away within the last second or so. It'd be an okay mechanic if the enemy AI would play ball with it a bit better.

I've always wondered if it's because the enemy AI no longer sees you as a target when you go into FFYL. I do agree it's very annoying especially when I'm going solo.

Then again, Eclipse's missiles will track you even when you're down which makes reviving someone a very risky move which will very likely kill you and will knock you back into FFYL if you get a second wind while a barrage of missiles tracking you down.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, enemy AI was altered from BL1 to 2, they never used to run for the hills when you hit FFYL back in 1.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

It's because you lose all aggro when going into FFYL so when you're playing solo the enemies act like there are no players nearby and start setting up a defensive perimeter. It's really annoying.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

How in the gently caress are you supposed to beat Shadow Trap, he throws out so much damage and giant explosions that it's really hard to survive, not to mention the fucker teleports away and regens his shields while creating identical clones of himself, it's just not a very fun fight at all.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Judge Tesla posted:

Yeah, enemy AI was altered from BL1 to 2, they never used to run for the hills when you hit FFYL back in 1.

I can assure you they absolutely did. And it was even worse in 1 because you couldn't move at all in FFYL.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Judge Tesla posted:

How in the gently caress are you supposed to beat Shadow Trap, he throws out so much damage and giant explosions that it's really hard to survive, not to mention the fucker teleports away and regens his shields while creating identical clones of himself, it's just not a very fun fight at all.

I was playing a sniper Aurelia, but spent most of the fight using a glitch SMG I found and one of those Jakobs shotguns that shoots a poo poo-ton of pellets. What worked for me was to keep moving, constantly moving, blasting away at whatever presented itself in front of me while moving, moving, moving. If you need a breather, head up to the upper level- there's less stuff up there and you can get across the arena and hop back down again. Once you shoot the real Shadowtrap, the clones vanish, so make the first priority when he does that finding the real one- you can tell by the health bar that appears over it. If you can quickly take out a clone, do so, but otherwise get away from it in pursuit of the real one.

That fight takes forever, to the point where it's just tedious (which made going straight from that to Eclipse all the more infuriating), but it's doable.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
I have stared into the abyss and the abyss stared back

As I inched my way towards the more rapidly respawning wraithes I became uneasy. It was that voice, that "not Gladstone" voice.
No No Mate No No Mate Don't bloody kill the little blighters.
I hadn't muted the volume before I got into position as to aid me in using a weapons special power.
The chanting from that horrible voice actor begins to increase to a feverish pitch.
I hear the sound and see my gun turn gold. This is what I have been waiting for
As I angle my now perma-firing, perma-reloading gun into the optimum critical position
I stop for a moment to watch the never ending death dance of the wraiths
The word critical, in red. Pulling away from me for an eternity
Meaningless blue numbers are lost the frantic pink lightning
Items flit across screen, enough to catch your eye but nay enough time to decipher.
I have stared into the abyss
And the abyss wants you to get your head in the game
We're trying to capture them here

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
As we pass through a sweaty, dimly-lit space club--80's neon pulsing to the thrumming of decadent techno--a secret door opens up in a back room. Our journal commands us to explore this "behind the scenes" space; yet, as we obey, we find ourselves the unwitting peeping toms to a nude-faced Moxxi fellating a pipe wrench.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

As we pass through a sweaty, dimly-lit space club--80's neon pulsing to the thrumming of decadent techno--a secret door opens up in a back room. Our journal commands us to explore this "behind the scenes" space; yet, as we obey, we find ourselves the unwitting peeping toms to a nude-faced Moxxi fellating a pipe wrench.

This post made me think about the fact that Moxxi seems much less sexy in TPS than she did in the previous Borderlands games. In this one she just seems tired and bitchy more than anything else.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

:catstare:

Ummm, maybe I'll go play a different game . . . .

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I have to hand it to the composer for the pre sequel, I really dig the 80s synth soundtrack.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Whew, never tried out Fragmented Fragtrap before. I have to swap out weapons like crazy but the payoff is I get to completely blast straight through anything unlucky enough to get in my way. It's a good way to keep things interesting, instead of relying on my favorite weapons.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This post made me think about the fact that Moxxi seems much less sexy in TPS than she did in the previous Borderlands games. In this one she just seems tired and bitchy more than anything else.

She's not exactly sexy in either, she comes off as a tired old hooker who runs a bar and hates her kids (scooter and ellie).

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

HAmbONE posted:

I have stared into the abyss and the abyss stared back

As I inched my way towards the more rapidly respawning wraithes I became uneasy. It was that voice, that "not Gladstone" voice.
I hadn't muted the volume before I got into position as to aid me in using a weapons special power.
The chanting from that horrible voice actor begins to increase to a feverish pitch.
I hear the sound and see my gun turn gold. This is what I have been waiting for
As I angle my now perma-firing, perma-reloading gun into the optimum critical position
I stop for a moment to watch the never ending death dance of the wraiths
The word critical, in red. Pulling away from me for an eternity
Meaningless blue numbers are lost the frantic pink lightning
Items flit across screen, enough to catch your eye but nay enough time to decipher.
I have stared into the abyss
And the abyss wants you to get your head in the game
We're trying to capture them here

I love how everyone immediately sees how exploitable that mission is.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I always reasoned it as her not liking having to work with Jack since she knows what he really is, even when hes being nice at the start of the game.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Judge Tesla posted:

I always reasoned it as her not liking having to work with Jack since she knows what he really is, even when hes being nice at the start of the game.

Plud in pre sequel memories of being with Jack are fresh. Who knows what weird sexual stuff he was into ? Or not into?

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
drat, leveling is crazy slow in UVHM, I think I'm gonna have to do the "do first mission, reset UVHM, rinse and repeat"-trick.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

donkey salami posted:

Plud in pre sequel memories of being with Jack are fresh. Who knows what weird sexual stuff he was into ? Or not into?

Digi Jacks :pervert:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Chasiubao posted:

Digi Jacks :pervert:

Just an endless conga line of Jack clones having sex with the person in front of them from here to infinity.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just an endless conga line of Jack clones having sex with the person in front of them from here to infinity.

It worked for Doctor Manhattan after all.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Matt Armstrong, one of the creators and Franchise Director of Borderlands, has left Gearbox.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm not sure where to ask this (I'll crosspost in the PS4 thread), put I think I glitched a quest:

In Borderlands 2 I was doing the quest Mighty Morphin'. I got the Mutated Varkid to spawn, but before I could kill it, Mordecai got an intro screen and when I got back in control, I was in a different location in the area. Now I can't find the Mutated Varkid I need to kill to progress the quest, and I can't make a new one by running up to a pod and hitting X. I've already tried Save and Quitting.

Am I boned on this quest, and subsequently all of Hammerlock's side stuff?

e: Never mind, I was able to re-inject!

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 21, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, all my favorite creators are leaving their companies. Hideo Kojima, now this.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 21, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Well Zarpedon put up more of a fight in TVHM but she was far more interested in kicking Jack's rear end so I just lasered her to death while I dealt with the odd Legion Eternal and Veteran who came for me, no legendary gun today though from her.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I just now jumped into Claptastic Voyage after having been busy with Pillars of Eternity for a good long while.

I think I really screwed myself by playing Athena; in a game that prides itself on having tons and tons of unique firearms, it seems like such a total waste to never ever use anything but my old level 50 vibrapulse. But God help me if it isn't consistently THE best option available.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Backhand posted:

I just now jumped into Claptastic Voyage after having been busy with Pillars of Eternity for a good long while.

I think I really screwed myself by playing Athena; in a game that prides itself on having tons and tons of unique firearms, it seems like such a total waste to never ever use anything but my old level 50 vibrapulse. But God help me if it isn't consistently THE best option available.

I play Athena too, and I haven't had this problem. I'm guessing you use the Ceraunic Storm tree? Switching weapons has a lot of advantages, between not worrying about reloading (since swap is almost always faster) and getting the Storm Weaving buff. Plus having 4 different weapons means I don't run out of ammo as quickly. I usually end up with 3 shock weapons and a backup incendiary weapon.

That said, the Vibrapulse is really, really good.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

Smellrose

Solumin posted:

I play Athena too, and I haven't had this problem. I'm guessing you use the Ceraunic Storm tree? Switching weapons has a lot of advantages, between not worrying about reloading (since swap is almost always faster) and getting the Storm Weaving buff. Plus having 4 different weapons means I don't run out of ammo as quickly. I usually end up with 3 shock weapons and a backup incendiary weapon.

That said, the Vibrapulse is really, really good.

Athena was the only character I played as until the Baroness came along. My love for Athena started to wain: 1. Claptastic Voyage; can't inflict bleed on final boss and high risk of melee launching you to your death. 2. The Baroness is a lot easier to play, in fact it was unsettling at first. I kept feeling like I forgot something. I don't have to jump in the air every x seconds while switching my guns every x seconds while angling my body to absorb the most damage while hoping my next melee hits and I don't get stuck on the environment or launch off it.

I just solo'd Shadow-Trp with my Baroness using a non-optimal build and decent but not great gear (Moxxi's vibrapulse can't hit final form from where I fight, bye bye electric dmg :I)

Here is my pro-strategy guide:
1. Find the ribcage like area with 2 ammo spawns
2. Be cheap as gently caress
3. Waste an hour

Result: some assorted purples and a 70 Considered Cheat Code Leg. SMG. The mission reward, the same SMG.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I haven't touched Athena's Melee tree at all, since I had my fill of that with Zer0 in BL2. I'll take your word for it though.
Ceraunic Storm ( + Phalanx for more shield fun) isn't like that at all though. Maybe I just enjoy really easy stack building, but "just keep firing!!" isn't a bad way to play a Borderlands game.

Baroness sounds fun, but I don't have the DLC yet. :v:

Unrelated: I was playing Nisha in Normal mode. For some reason, every enemy in Tycho's Ribs (the final area before Eleseer) dropped white incendiary lasers. No other gun drops, just White. Incendiary. Lasers. (I think they were different kinds of lasers though, not all Splitters or Blasters.)
Bug? Bizarre pRNG behavior? Working as intended? Who knows!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

That stupid RK-5 Jet is a huge jerk on TVHM, I just sat in the elevator and fired Corrosive Lasers at him whenever he flew near me, my Shock Lasers didn't have the range as they were the continuous firing fire hose style ones, the Guardian was a little hairy but I beat him and got NO LOOT aside from junk white and blue guns.

I'll probably carry onto UVHM with Athena once I've finished off the remaining side-quests and Claptastic Voyage.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

Smellrose

Solumin posted:

I haven't touched Athena's Melee tree at all, since I had my fill of that with Zer0 in BL2. I'll take your word for it though.
Ceraunic Storm ( + Phalanx for more shield fun) isn't like that at all though. Maybe I just enjoy really easy stack building, but "just keep firing!!" isn't a bad way to play a Borderlands game.

Baroness sounds fun, but I don't have the DLC yet. :v:

Unrelated: I was playing Nisha in Normal mode. For some reason, every enemy in Tycho's Ribs (the final area before Eleseer) dropped white incendiary lasers. No other gun drops, just White. Incendiary. Lasers. (I think they were different kinds of lasers though, not all Splitters or Blasters.)
Bug? Bizarre pRNG behavior? Working as intended? Who knows!

It's the same for me. My theory is that they are the most "lost" of the legion and they only have their basic military gear which they don't need because hurf durf blurf and poo poo

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Judge Tesla posted:

That stupid RK-5 Jet is a huge jerk on TVHM, I just sat in the elevator and fired Corrosive Lasers at him whenever he flew near me, my Shock Lasers didn't have the range as they were the continuous firing fire hose style ones, the Guardian was a little hairy but I beat him and got NO LOOT aside from junk white and blue guns.

I'll probably carry onto UVHM with Athena once I've finished off the remaining side-quests and Claptastic Voyage.

I've got to the point where I just cheat myself a Viral Marketer, use it to utterly wreck RK-5, and then throw it on the ground before I continue.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So I got the handsome collection yesterday. Any absolutly great classes to play? Like really active murder character? I haven't played boarderlands game since it was released.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
So been playing a bit more - life's been busy so I am progressing through Claptastic Voyage very slowly. Once again, though, I can't help but notice a problem that's always bugged me.

Are assault rifles EVER really worth it? It seems like if you want a rapid-firing, short to medium range weapon, a pistol, laser, or SMG will beat an assault rifle every single time.

I got my hands on a blue quest reward vladof assault rifle last night. I like the asthetics, and it seems to handle decently. But my god, the damage is just pathetic! I can't justify using this thing when I have Fridgia, or Torrent, or Excalibastard, or Vibrapulse, or a Jakob's shotgun instead. Am I just not finding the right ARs? I want the weapon category to be worthwhile, but thus far, it always seems like a complete waste of an ammo type. Maybe if Tediore made ARs...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Backhand posted:

So been playing a bit more - life's been busy so I am progressing through Claptastic Voyage very slowly. Once again, though, I can't help but notice a problem that's always bugged me.

Are assault rifles EVER really worth it? It seems like if you want a rapid-firing, short to medium range weapon, a pistol, laser, or SMG will beat an assault rifle every single time.

I got my hands on a blue quest reward vladof assault rifle last night. I like the asthetics, and it seems to handle decently. But my god, the damage is just pathetic! I can't justify using this thing when I have Fridgia, or Torrent, or Excalibastard, or Vibrapulse, or a Jakob's shotgun instead. Am I just not finding the right ARs? I want the weapon category to be worthwhile, but thus far, it always seems like a complete waste of an ammo type. Maybe if Tediore made ARs...

It's supposed to fit the niche between SMG and Sniper but since everything has a crosshair it really doesn't have that space to fill. I got a torgue rifle with a Gatling barrel and that was pretty amazing even though it barely got up to full speed before needing to swap mags.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Moochewmoo posted:

So I got the handsome collection yesterday. Any absolutly great classes to play? Like really active murder character? I haven't played boarderlands game since it was released.

Gunzerker

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Sorry he meant to say Krieg.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FAUXTON posted:

It's supposed to fit the niche between SMG and Sniper but since everything has a crosshair it really doesn't have that space to fill. I got a torgue rifle with a Gatling barrel and that was pretty amazing even though it barely got up to full speed before needing to swap mags.

Some of the bandit ARs from BL2 made decent bullet hoses. If you stumbled across the gatling barrel and chain fed magazine combination you could put out an impressive amount of hurt.

For the most part they are useless though, especially Jacobs ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Okay. Is the sheriff lady a good fit for the presequal? Dopple-jack seems pretty murderific as well.

• Locked thread