Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Clear it all out and build a private laser tag kill house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
A ticket came in from Information Security...

"Several security vulnerabilities have been found in our current version of Adobe Shockwave player. Please remove Adobe Shockwave player from the environment."

I can't decide whats worse, that they want to remove it from the environment rather than upgrade to the latest revision, or that I didn't know that Shockwave was still a thing.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
A ticket came in ...

quote:

Hi. This morning I used the restroom in <BUILDING> second floor. It was the single restroom near the break room.

My pen fell into the toilet and it was flushed. Is there any way to recover it?

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

captkirk posted:

A ticket came in ...

I mean, I get attached to my pens too, but let it go man, it's just not worth it.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

captkirk posted:

A ticket came in ...

Hope you tested your backups and can recover to last night's pen backup.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dick Trauma posted:

Clear it all out and build a private laser tag kill house.

Uh, I think you mean "Use it all to build bitchin cover and obstacles for your laser tag arena"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

We have a closet that I sometimes complain about. I'm not going to complain about it any more.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

A ticket came in from Information Security...

"Several security vulnerabilities have been found in our current version of Adobe Shockwave player. Please remove Adobe Shockwave player from the environment."

I can't decide whats worse, that they want to remove it from the environment rather than upgrade to the latest revision, or that I didn't know that Shockwave was still a thing.

I think removing Shockwave is a perfectly reasonable course of action at this point, does anything really need it anymore?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Gunjin posted:

HDCAM/HDCAM SR I hope? Or Betacam SX, I know some news organizations still use that.

We have a Digibeta and Betacam decks though the Betacam deck is still wrapped in plastic. We also have DVCPRO HD and SD decks. We've got the slew of HDCAM decks because a lot of networks still want us to deliver tapes for masters, though Discovery lets us deliver on LTO-5 now.

And a HI-8 deck somewhere. We get some weird tape formats from small town stations sometimes.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Inspector_666 posted:

I think removing Shockwave is a perfectly reasonable course of action at this point, does anything really need it anymore?

Who knows, honestly. The business uses a lot of antiquated Web stuff, so its very possible that we might.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dick Trauma posted:

Hoarding is a product of mental illness. I posted here years ago about having to cover for the mailroom guy and finally discovering the source of the foul smell that loomed over that part of the office: a treasure trove of half eaten rotting yogurts, partially consumed cans of beans, mostly empty juice bottles... all stashed under his counter. There were hundreds of supermarket plastic bags stuffed down there, as well as literally a few hundred pounds of misdelivered mail, most of which was gossip magazines and other newsprint crap.

I threw out every bit of it and then began a mighty scrubbing of every surface in there, including using bleach wipes to scrape the gunge off of his keyboard. It was disgusting.

When he returned I could see that for about ten seconds he was considering losing his poo poo over what I'd done, but then he probably recognized that we were all about to toss him off the balcony into the canal for bringing such an odious mess into our workspace. From then on I patrolled the mailroom regularly to make sure he never backslid.

I feel like the office version of Elise, from the hospital horror stories thread: you might not survive, but by God you will die clean

I just remembered. One time I got called over to this employee's cube to help him with a task. There was a post-it note literally encrusted to the desk by dried sticky soda. When I asked what was up with it he said that he had spilled soda on it and it had some important password or something on it and he couldn't throw it away, so he just dabbed up as much of the soda as he could. When I suggested that he could just copy the information to another post-it he was amazed and immediately reached up into his overhead bin to grab a pad of post its.

Revealing dozens upon dozens of 20oz pop bottles, all without their caps, all of them not washed, some of them still had pop in them. After he left for the day I went back over to check his other overhead bins, out of morbid curiosity. They were thankfully not full of pop bottles. Apparently the local pizza joint's small takeout box is just the right height to fit vertically in our overhead bins. He had completely filled the other bins with greasy pizza boxes. All five of them.

I let his supervisor know ASAP and he had to clean everything out the next day, it took eight garbage bags.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We have twice a year 'toss this poo poo out weeks'

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

There you go. Just some of my lovely basement.

Jesus, I've personally never seen anything that bad before...I've had some hoarder-type bosses but that takes the cake.

And even with the boxes you're keeping, couldn't someone use a little sense and, I dunno, break them down to save space? I can see maybe keeping a handful, but that amount is ridiculous, and there's no harm in folding them up to take less room.

Kurieg posted:

I just remembered. One time I got called over to this employee's cube to help him with a task. There was a post-it note literally encrusted to the desk by dried sticky soda. When I asked what was up with it he said that he had spilled soda on it and it had some important password or something on it and he couldn't throw it away, so he just dabbed up as much of the soda as he could. When I suggested that he could just copy the information to another post-it he was amazed and immediately reached up into his overhead bin to grab a pad of post its.

Revealing dozens upon dozens of 20oz pop bottles, all without their caps, all of them not washed, some of them still had pop in them. After he left for the day I went back over to check his other overhead bins, out of morbid curiosity. They were thankfully not full of pop bottles. Apparently the local pizza joint's small takeout box is just the right height to fit vertically in our overhead bins. He had completely filled the other bins with greasy pizza boxes. All five of them.

I let his supervisor know ASAP and he had to clean everything out the next day, it took eight garbage bags.

Not as bad, but at a previous job our desktop support team was going through a PC refresh cycle. One particular person whose PC I replaced, I had some trouble physically moving the tower off the desk. It felt like it was bolted down or secured in some way, but I couldn't see any brackets or screws or anything.

Turned out the person sitting there had spilled some super-sugary type of Starbucks coffee drink on their desk and cleaned all but under the PC. It sat for so long that the sugar and liquid dried, hardened, and were holding the tower to the desk (it was an old Dell 745 SFF). I had to pry that fucker loose and use a paint scraper to get the gunk off the desk - I took pictures before I did and sent them to my team, and my boss talked to that person's supervisor. In short order, a new rule went in place that any drinks had to be in a container with a lid of some kind to prevent spillage. People can be seriously loving lazy and disgusting sometimes (and more often than not, the people you least expect are the problem ones).

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 17, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

baquerd posted:

It's a pretty ballsy power play. If the supervisor flips out, he's now got some potential backers who will go to bat for him in self-interest.

I'm really interested in seeing the final outcome of all this. Will it lead to a Promotion or someone getting fired? Find out next week on "Re: A ticket came in."

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Take all of those pictures and send it to the c-levels. Include the explanations and the extra wallpaper crap.

captkirk posted:

A ticket came in ...

He was just doing some pen-testing. :downsrim:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm astonished the higher-ups are okay with that. You must live in an area where real estate is cheap, because that is a staggering amount of wasted space that could be used for something.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
We have a couple contractors doing a hardware refresh in a town about 3 hours away. They left yesterday morning in a rented van.
Last night they went out and got drunk. Then got pulled over on the way back to the hotel.
Then the driver got arrested for DUI and drunk and disorderly. And the van got impounded.
The other two guys are on the way back on the Greyhound.
I'm not privy to what's currently happening to the arrested dude, nor to our equipment in the rental van.

Feel good story of the week, right there.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

drat, what a way to start the weekend.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
That is the kind of story that your company tells for years to come.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Antioch posted:

We have a couple contractors doing a hardware refresh in a town about 3 hours away. They left yesterday morning in a rented van.
Last night they went out and got drunk. Then got pulled over on the way back to the hotel.
Then the driver got arrested for DUI and drunk and disorderly. And the van got impounded.
The other two guys are on the way back on the Greyhound.
I'm not privy to what's currently happening to the arrested dude, nor to our equipment in the rental van.

Feel good story of the week, right there.

I can beat it. I mentioned our transmitter tower getting hit with lightning and us having to basically rebuild the entire transmission line from top to bottom. We had to bring out a tower crew to do the construction.

The first day, they went to the local strip club. One of the guys got drunk and beat a guy up, then went to Waffle House and assaulted someone else. Jailed and bailed.
The guy he was with was hit with a DUI.

Two days later, the foreman disappeared. There were two stories. One was that he was going to a neighboring town to pick up a part. The other was that he was meeting a woman somewhere.
Anyways, no one can find him, and he's gone in a company vehicle. He is listed as a missing person.

He turns up two weeks later in a town three hours away. Apparently he decided to go on a two week drug binge in the middle of a job. Last I heard, he was arrested for grand theft auto and lost his job.

We get a whole new crew and one guy immediately falls 30 feet and breaks his back. He's still not walking.

Another guy accidentally shot himself showing off his gun.

It was an absolute circus clusterfuck from beginning to end.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

larchesdanrew posted:

I can beat it. I mentioned our transmitter tower getting hit with lightning and us having to basically rebuild the entire transmission line from top to bottom. We had to bring out a tower crew to do the construction.

The first day, they went to the local strip club. One of the guys got drunk and beat a guy up, then went to Waffle House and assaulted someone else. Jailed and bailed.

Two days later, the foreman disappeared. There were two stories. One was that he was going to a neighboring town to pick up a part. The other was that he was meeting a woman somewhere.
Anyways, no one can find him, and he's gone in a company vehicle. He is listed as a missing person.

He turns up two weeks later in a town three hours away. Apparently he decided to go on a two week drug binge in the middle of a job. Last I heard, he was arrested for grand theft auto and lost his job.

We get a whole new crew and one guy immediately falls 30 feet and breaks his back. He's still not walking.

You might want to do another runthrough of your basement to make sure your boss isn't keeping a box of Indian remains somewhere.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

larchesdanrew posted:

Yeah your place is haunted. That lightning strike woke something up.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

I feel like the office version of Elise, from the hospital horror stories thread: you might not survive, but by God you will die clean

Whoa, link please

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

:911:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Actually, we had to have someone posted all night every night with a collection of firearms to fend off copper thieves.

Well, that was the excuse given. It was basically just a bunch of rednecks getting drunk on company time and waving guns around.

God bless the USA.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Where the hell does this kind of stuff take place? The last time we had major construction in our home office, a team of ~8 men at any given time showed up in the morning, went home at night, and showed up the next day. Repeat for two weeks and, whammo, a brand-new renovated floor.

Is there a specific service you have to call to get the fun contractors?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Potato Salad posted:

Where the hell does this kind of stuff take place? The last time we had major construction in our home office, a team of ~8 men at any given time showed up in the morning, went home at night, and showed up the next day. Repeat for two weeks and, whammo, a brand-new renovated floor.

I think you're looking for Lowest Bidder LLC

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have a bunch of users who moved here from another site. They had a guy there who wasn't actually their support staff, but was mildly technical. They often still call him instead of me when they need help, which to be honest I find mildly insulting -- especially since I'm based out of this site and he has to drive here -- but whatever, people are comfortable working with people they've known a long time, I get that. And I know the guy, and I like him.

Apparently that guy was here this morning trying to resolve an issue that rendered an entire small office unable to print to a network printer. Other people could still print to it. He failed to resolve it and they mentioned it in passing while I was there doing something else.

The root cause of the issue was an incorrect printer driver. It's a simple fix, I'm glad I could help, but boy howdy did my estimation of the other guy's technical chops take a dive. I mean, really. Unable to diagnose and correct a printer driver?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

ElGroucho posted:

Whoa, link please

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469571

The "die clean" bit is about a third of the way down here

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 17, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

I can't speak for the other guy, but there were two factors with ours. One, insurance picked the crew, and we had no say in the matter. Two, tower workers are a special kind of person and it takes a special kind of person who wants to make a living spending 8 hours a day literally climbing 1,800 feet of metal gridwork strapped with over 70 pounds of gear, and then doing construction suspended by a harness above the clouds on a tower that was built 20 years ago.

That special kind of person is usually not the smartest.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 17, 2015

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I'm moving to CT at the end of May to the Stamford area. Our parent company has an office in downtown NY and we have a growing team there so I decided to see if I could work out of the NY office. Both to support the team there and to remotely support the team here in MD. Talked with HR and the COO and he said he would run it up the chain to to the parent company.

A little while ago I found out that, for various reasons that I wasn't fully clued into, the request to work "remotely" was denied. Of course I could totally talk to the Ops manager at our parent company to see if I could work for them.

Looks like it's :yotj: time. Hope they like my consulting fees when something goes wrong.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Personally,. I'd have had the door boarded up and plastered over.

Leave the whole place for future archeologists.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

spog posted:

Personally,. I'd have had the door boarded up and plastered over.

Leave the whole place for future archeologists.

They're going to see the multi-tiered stack of Windows ME machines and think you created some kind of sacrifical pyre. That isn't all that far from the truth.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

I can't speak for the other guy, ...

That special kind of person is usually not the smartest.

Robert. Half.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
At least if they ever need some b roll for a story about hoarders they can always just film their basement.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

QB's do save automatically, it usually asks you when you close the dang software. Hell, if you have a fairly recent version of QB within the last handful of years, it offers to save it to their cloud.

However I've seen:

people insisting on using their old qb software from 2004 instead of buying a new one

2004? When I was a retail CJ I had someone try to return a Windows 8 computer because their Quicken didn't work on it.

QUICKEN 1999. "Why do I want to get a new one full of poo poo I don't need?"

I had to go to Intuit's website and download a "conversion utility" (quicken 2004, the last version that would import ancient QDF files), re-save their file in the new format, then install Quicken 2014 and import their QDF.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

AJAX interfaces. But usually Flash includes the shockwave player.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Bob Morales posted:

There's a hard drive fairy running around here.

Yesterday we had two cases of people booting up and getting HARD DRIVE 0 NOT FOUND

Luckily, re-seating the SATA and power cables caused the drives to become recognized and everything was fine.

This morning we come in, we have a dead Synology NAS and our Dell SAN is lit up like a Christmas tree.

Heat, my friend.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

2004? When I was a retail CJ I had someone try to return a Windows 8 computer because their Quicken didn't work on it.

QUICKEN 1999. "Why do I want to get a new one full of poo poo I don't need?"

I had to go to Intuit's website and download a "conversion utility" (quicken 2004, the last version that would import ancient QDF files), re-save their file in the new format, then install Quicken 2014 and import their QDF.

I had a case today where this guy was like "my wife uses this thing with the lines and entry boxes to catalog all the books she's read because she's a big book reader *laughs* but I can't seem to open it, what's up?"

"Well sir, you were using Microsoft Works and it's a .wdb file, you installed office. Your options are to install works (which he had no idea where it was), or convert the file into a file type that isn't old." (he was using win 7 iirc)

I swear to god, half these people would still be using Lotus 123 if they could get away with it.

I think my favorite thing (sarcasm of course) is I've literally seen people running windows 8, with a vm running windows xp, that itself was running a vm of windows 95 to run some ancient dos program that was developed for an extremely specific purpose all because they didn't want to upgrade or invest in paying someone to develop new software.

I get using legacy software. At work we still support our legacy software for macs, where the guy literally up and left before the software was completed, leaving us to rush and figure out his code and make it work. One of our escalation tools that fixes some stuff with their software, no one knows what it does. Literally. It's basically a "well i ran it and it says it did something but no one knows if it actually did anything!!"

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
That basement is totattly my bag baby.
I get a little giddy thinking about rifling through the piles of stuff

• Locked thread