Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
:eyepop:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Inception-Soundtrack-LP-Clear-Vinyl/productinfo/WEALP49649/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

I, Butthole posted:

There's a store in my city (Brisbane) that has people lining up from midnight the night before. Why.

If this kind of thing ever starts in Hobart then I'll both laugh and feel despair at the same time. There is no record worth lining up that long for, I would rather pay inflated ebay prices then waste my time like that.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

I, Butthole posted:

There's a store in my city (Brisbane) that has people lining up from midnight the night before. Why.

which one

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
walked by the local one in frederick, MD and there were people already waiting before 9PM. :yikes:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
So I picked up Field Music's 'Music for Drifters'. It's quite pretty. No idea how it sounds because I have no record player and the download site isn't live yet :(

Red Eye Records in Sydney still had plenty of stock behind the counter. Lines were gone by 11am.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Snowy posted:

I'll have to sell off my extra 1200mk2 if things are getting that crazy.
Even original dustcovers are worth quite a bit.
I've been meaning to ask what the Women 7" you grabbed from the poop pile and say that the snowpony grab is a good one :)

Been picking out records from a university music department dumping of it's collection at goodwill, everything I grabbed is in really great condition. Here's a few

Alan Lomax records in Spain
Ethnic Folkways from Soloman Islands
Folk Dances of Brazil is really amazing and I can't find anything about it(Audio International Records catalogue: AIR - 205)
Kabuki is also really good has some cool shamisen solos

Gerard Grisey, Jean-Claude Eloy and Morton Subtonik are all super dope
Spell(middle bottom) has a really good Daniel Lentz song(song(s) of the sirens)

Laurie Anderson LP is cool and features William S. Burroughs and Nile Rodgers

Little shop of horrors has the plant voiced by Ron Taylor(bleeding gums murphy)

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
All I wanted was the reissue of Deja Entendu. Between four stores nearby, only one got any and only got three, and three people were there to buy it starting at 9 PM for an 8 AM opening.

RSD is dumb and Brand New is a stupid band and I hate all of this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I really will never understand why people camp outside stores to buy poo poo. If I really wanted something that bad I'd just pay the insane ebay markup because sleeping on the sidewalk for a record is way loving worse. People are dumb jackasses.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
I went to my favourite shop and it had ten times the amount of people who are usually in there. The owner was actually happy and talkative which is a change (Dada, Perth)

Didn't stay long. No Dilla police badge for me

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
The queue outside my "local" store (a 45 min drive away) has been getting bigger each year. It's a bit annoying as the store isn't very big inside so it gets a bit crowded making it hard to look through stuff. grabbed the Stephen Hawking Galaxy Song single which is nice, also picked up The White Stripes Get Behind Me Satan but then saw it was £45 while I like the White Stripes there's no way I'm paying that much for it so passed it on to someone else who wanted it. The lenticular jacket was nice on it though.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Elrobot posted:

I've been meaning to ask what the Women 7" you grabbed from the poop pile and say that the snowpony grab is a good one :)

Been picking out records from a university music department dumping of it's collection at goodwill, everything I grabbed is in really great condition. Here's a few

Folk Dances of Brazil is really amazing and I can't find anything about it(Audio International Records catalogue: AIR - 205)

drat that rules

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Elrobot posted:

That's rad as gently caress, the last Goodwill I was at had literally 12 LPs on the shelf. I bought one, a Ventures record (Play Telstar and the Lonely Bull) in average Goodwill condition. I suspect Goodwills around here are trying to stop carrying LPs.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

I got the Pizza Underground 7" so RSD was a success.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

forgot about RSD until like an hour ago. A used bookstore down the street from where I live has a decent collection, so I thought I'd check it out. There were like half a dozen people there for it. Good poo poo.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Blue Raider posted:

forgot about RSD until like an hour ago. A used bookstore down the street from where I live has a decent collection, so I thought I'd check it out. There were like half a dozen people there for it. Good poo poo.

Nice. There's no point in trying to go to any Chicago stores right now because the lines are loving massive.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

TubeStank posted:

Nice. There's no point in trying to go to any Chicago stores right now because the lines are loving massive.

I got to my store an hour before they opened and was number 188 in line.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I have no self control when it comes to gimmicks. :negative:

It was a zoo at every place I hit up... I think RSD may be getting too big for its britches. Kind of surprised I wasn't able to find Mcclusky or the second Miles Davis box set.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Finally skunked by my local store's "make it fair for everybody" random lottery. After checking their inventory to see that the store only received three copies of the Foo Fighters release, I wasn't too surprised.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Ballz posted:

Kind of surprised I wasn't able to find Mcclusky or the second Miles Davis box set.

McLusky was the only thing I really wanted so I am very happy that the Loop Reckless in Chicago had it and looked like it still had a bunch of other stuff. It was surprisingly quiet there. Looks like McLuskyism was limited to 1k copies.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

CPL593H posted:

I really will never understand why people camp outside stores to buy poo poo. If I really wanted something that bad I'd just pay the insane ebay markup because sleeping on the sidewalk for a record is way loving worse. People are dumb jackasses.

For me it's a matter of outside weather conditions. I'm a morning person and can get out out of bed at any time and it doesn't bother me. If it's not too wet or cold, I can read a book or play double dragon on my gameboy. I'm a monster and don't even mind sitting directly on the ground.

If I read that statement from anyone else I'd imagine they were a fat live-with-mom goon. (No offense buds) But since I wrote it, I can assure everyone I'm not fat, married, and have a full time job that's not retail or IT.

That being said...gently caress RSD. I've probably defended RSD in this thread in previous years; don't hold it against me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I wasn't going to get anything for RSD but walked by Human Head in Brooklyn to see how they were doing. I forgot that last year they had been doing custom lathe cut records, and not only was the lathe dude back this year but he was able to squeeze me in without an appointment! I ran back home and clipped out a section of a recording I had done of a Sami reindeer roundup in Lapland. Lots of cowbell, grunting, and hooves. :rock:

Thanks to Tyler from https://www.audiogeography.com

e- it was $15

Snowy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 18, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

I wasn't going to get anything for RSD but walked by Human Head in Brooklyn to see how they were doing. I forgot that last year they had been doing custom lathe cut records, and not only was the lathe dude back this year but he was able to squeeze me in without an appointment! I ran back home and clipped out a section of a recording I had done of a Sami reindeer roundup in Lapland. Lots of cowbell, grunting, and hooves. :rock:

Thanks to Tyler from https://www.audiogeography.com

Oh man, this wins forever. Got a clip of it online to hear it?

So I went to Waterloo, found a few things that I wanted, then my eyes bugged out at the price (bought them anyway :retrogames:) and was going to hit up Breakaway, but there was literally a line around the side of the building at noon. I'll just have to hit them up the next time I'm down there (and it's not 2AM after Karaoke Underground and we're at Epoch for late-night drinks)

Now I'm waiting for a friend of mine to get here with her van so I can go and get KALLAXed.

I got...

Mclusky - Mcluskyism
Shogun Assassin - OST
Junior Kimbrough/Black Keys - Meet Me In The City 7"
The Mystery 7" (this year, Sheena is a Punk Rocker, Ramones on the A-side, Husker Du on the B, both live recordings, in orange and purple split vinyl)
and
RPM Turntable Baseball, which looks gimmicky, but I love baseball and ridiculous games, so it's a perfect fit.

Photos probably later on, because I am vain. And because photographing things on my neon blue couch never gets old.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Allen Wren posted:

Oh man, this wins forever. Got a clip of it online to hear it?

Don't know if I can embed it, but here's a pretty random piece from an hour long recording https://soundcloud.com/woe_is_me/sami-reindeer-roundup-2011

Maybe not exactly a party rocker, but it was a fun thing to see and hear.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Man that's crazy the line built back up after we left. It has about dissipated to the corner by the door. Last year we all just stood around by the dance studio space and all got let in at the same time, that's how many less people there were.

I picked up Hedwig, the J5 Quality Control wood box, the Grandmaster Flash / Stiff Little Fingers side by side, and my wife got some kind of Simon and Garfunkel 7". They didn't have the Lego Movie soundtrack but a friend of mine picked up an extra because apparently there were a bazillion at places that did get them. The only thing nobody I know got that we wanted was Whiplash.

:soundtracks:

Dogen fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 18, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dogen posted:

Man that's crazy the line built back up after we left. It has about dissipated to the corner by the door. Last year we all just stood around by the dance studio space and all got let in at the same time, that's how many less people there were.

The line was literally growing as we were there; Anti wanted to pop her head into Blue Velvet, since she'd never been there except after karaoke etc etc etc, and when we got out, like two more cars pulled up with people getting into line. I am definitely going back, though, probably in a paycheck or two.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

gently caress Record Store Day, but here's what I got.

Lightning Bolt - Fantasy Empire
Pissed Jeans - Hope For Men
Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Flame
Low - The Great Destroyer
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet, And Other Distress

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Friends Are Evil posted:

you like good music

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Friends Are Evil posted:

is fantasy empire good? the past few lighting bolt albums have been kinda eh

otherwise nice haul

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I drove up to my local store about 10 minutes before they opened and saw a line of about 50 people and decided to go into work instead. I headed back after work and got 2 of the 3 records I wanted.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

TubeStank posted:

is fantasy empire good? the past few lighting bolt albums have been kinda eh

otherwise nice haul

Best thing they've done in a while!

Freeze_Dried_Chives
Jul 22, 2007

I will not go down the hole again good sir.
Went to my first RSD today (Only just started getting into vinyl a few months ago) and luckily was able to get everything I wanted. Plus more, because I'm terrible about impulse buying records. My Wife And I ended up getting -

Darjeeling Limited Soundtrack
Sun Records Comp (Was glad I got there at 5am, because the place I went only got one copy of this in)
Neko Case
Jerry Garcia
Bob Dylan Basement Tape (Was stoked about this, I misread the name on the RSD site and thought it was a Basement Tapes rerelease or something, but this is way better)
Elvis Single
Pete And Pete Soundtrack
Hedwig Soundtrack
Father John Misty Heart Single
St. Paul And The Broken Bones Alabama Single (I have no idea what this is, and haven't listened to it yet. But it looks cool as hell, and my wife wanted it)
The Replacements
When I Reach That Heavenly Shore Box Set.

Freeze_Dried_Chives fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 19, 2015

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.
First record store day, had a lot of fun.
Picked up:
Decemberists - Picturesque
Lego Movie Soundtrack
Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Also picked up a used copy of No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom. The only thing I couldn't find was the A-ha Take On Me picture disc :(

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
I don't know if this is cool to post here but I got Get Behind Me Satan and if anyone is willing to trade it for a Songs of Innocence RSD edition, that'd be cool.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
did anybody get the red house painters boxset

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Freeze_Dried_Chives posted:

Bob Dylan Basement Tape (Was stoked about this, I misread the name on the RSD site and thought it was a Basement Tapes rerelease or something, but this is way better)

Which version did you get? My buddy managed to snag one of the pink/autographed/limited-to-1000 variants; he's keeping it in the shrink, but he grabbed one of the blue variants too to use as a playing copy.

My birthday was earlier this week so I went bonkers in the stacks; ended up buying:
- Willie Nelson, Teatro (this is EXCELLENT; I'd had it on tape since around the time I was introduced to Emmylou Harris' majestic Wrecking Ball [Teatro's older brother in spirit] but this sounds about a billion times better, unsurprisngly)
- The Bee Gees, Extended (worth having just to have flawless recordings of the extended cuts of four of the best pop songs ever)
- Todd Rundgren/Lindstrom/Emil from Serena-Maneesh, Runddans (Lindstrom is one of my very favorite musicians on the planet and Rundgren recorded at least three of my very favorite albums of the 70s, so I am immensely stoked for their collaboration which is apparently going to come as four side-long pieces. this is the first taste of the record and it's pretty good, although it's closer to Six Cups Of Rebel Lindstrom in tone than my favorite albums by him.)
- Steve Reich, Music For 18 Musicians (I had an ECM original pressing already, but my introduction to this piece was the Nonesuch recording, of which this is the first vinyl pressing ever. the idea of breaking 18 Musicians across four sides is kind of worrying, I'll admit; on the other hand my copy of Drumming is a triple LP and it owns considerably.)
- Fool's Gold, Flying Lessons (I've been bonkers over "I'm In Love" for like six months, so this record was getting bought regardless; the fact that it came out on RSD was just a happy accident. they're incredible live too.)
- Pulp, Separations (the least of Pulp's essential albums, which only makes it superior to 90% of records ever committed to wax.)
- Run The Jewels, RSD picture disc (sounds like rear end, but copies were available and I love RTJ so I own this now.)
- Swans, s/t EP (I liked Gira ever since someone turned me on to Akron/Family about 7 years ago or so, but for some reason I am a pathetic latecomer w/r/t Swans who never bothered to check out The Seer until last year. that album hosed me up in the best way possible [as did seeing Swans live last month at Big Ears; they played like six songs total over the course of like 2 hours and it OWNED] so I figured this was worth the plunge.)
- Brian Eno, My Squelchy Life (I've been playing the bejesus out of Wrong Way Up, Eno's collaboration with John Cale, basically this whole year and this is supposed to occupy that same general space.)
- Oneohtrix Point Never, Commissions II (luv me some Lopatin.)
- The Zombies, R.I.P. (I adore this album; "I'll Call You Mine" may actually be my favorite Zombies song full-stop. stoked to finally have an official pressing.)
- mclusky, mcluskyism (this album passed me by when it first came out, but I gave it another shot after noticing how many people were frothing at the mouth to get ahold of the reissue and here we are.)
- the Flaming Lips EPs (I'm not as batshit crazy over the Lips as most people seem to be [I like them, but if I'm going to listen to 90s psychedelia, I'm probably going to listen to the Olivia Tremor Control or Hillside by Arnold]; however the opportunity to pick up all three EPs arose and I took the plunge.)

Freeze_Dried_Chives
Jul 22, 2007

I will not go down the hole again good sir.
Blue one, didn't find a pink one anywhere. Was going to grab the single as well, but I'm not into singles much really. I just got the Elvis one because well, it's the first Elvis recording and it's awesome.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ballz posted:

Went over the list again, and I'm still underwhelmed. Probably pick up the J Dilla gently caress the Police because I am a sucker for gimmicks and I might grab the second volume of the Miles Davis box set only because I don't know if I'll find it for cheap in a few months in Virginia.

The KMD pop up book sounds kind of interesting but it's a CD release and not vinyl. What is this, 2002? :rolleyes:

Oh me from 48 hours ago, how young and naive you were.

My disposable income :shepicide:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I got into vinyl earlier this January and managed to snag a Technics Sl-B500. Came with a Ortofon 14 Cartridge with a matching Ortofon 14 and haven't had much of a problem.

Unfortunately when I went to play a 7" I got today, it slipped over the edge and the stylus hit the hard rubber plate. I think it broke the stylus because I've tried two records so far and it's a mix between low static and very low playback.

So a friend helped me look up a new stylus. The Ortofon 14 replacement would run $70(more than half what I spent on the Tt).

I'm looking into the recommendations in the OP now, and will bring the cart/stylus assembly down to my local store for recommendations, but also thought I'd check here as well if I should get the $70 stylus, something else, or a new cart as a whole.

Edit: my loot for today why not

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 19, 2015

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Not only did I RSD today, I Ikeaed. I'm going to need a power strip and some longer cords in this part of the room, looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
grabbed Giant Sand - Valley of Rain and Marc Moulin- Placebo Years RSD items and a Florian Fricke 2LP+dvd thingy on Soul Jazz and Smiff-n-Wessum - Dah Shinin' on 20% off. Not too busy, just waited in line at the register, chatted with the owner and got some store swag(record bag/tshirt/slipmat) also got no life til' leather cassette and blasted it on my drive home :getin: