Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ok, so we know that this Star Wars movie has Han and Chewie in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Shadeoses posted:

Ok, so we know that this Star Wars movie has Han and Chewie in it.

looked more like harrison ford to me

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
hey chewie, do you ever get tired of all these star wars? i know i do. now watch me crash this plane

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Apparently wookies don't age and/or Chewie was literally a child in the originals. I want to know what that new emblem of the empire or whatever was for.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

TK-42-1 posted:

Apparently wookies don't age and/or Chewie was literally a child in the originals. I want to know what that new emblem of the empire or whatever was for.

Chewie was like 200 when he showed up in the prequels, wookies get really old I guess.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

TK-42-1 posted:

"Just for Wookies" to get that gray out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

"OOOOH MY GAAAAWWWWD"

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Trast posted:

"Just for Wookies" to get that gray out.

Only my pet stylist knows for sure.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Chewie was like 200 when he showed up in the prequels, wookies get really old I guess.

Wookies achieve adulthood at 18 and are considered middle aged at 301. After that they age much more rapidly and are considered venerable at 400+ years. However force sensitive wookies can reach almost a thousand years in age, before resorting to unnatural means of extending their life spans according to the star wars saga core rule book, which I use in my star wars campaign where the level 10 Jedi knight has a level 6 padawan (1 level noble 5 levels of jedi) wookie who hits harder and more accurately with her lightsaber than her master does.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Wookies achieve adulthood at 18 and are considered middle aged at 301. After that they age much more rapidly and are considered venerable at 400+ years. However force sensitive wookies can reach almost a thousand years in age, before resorting to unnatural means of extending their life spans according to the star wars saga core rule book, which I use in my star wars campaign where the level 10 Jedi knight has a level 6 padawan (1 level noble 5 levels of jedi) wookie who hits harder and more accurately with her lightsaber than her master does.

Yep, that poo poo is cringe worthy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Unlike the last trailer, this one was actually not terrible, so that helps.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

based on this trailer and lucas grousing that they threw out all his ideas for it, i am cautiously optimistic about the new starwar.

say what you want about jj abrams i garuntee under his direction there will be no dialogue-heavy greenscreen scenes filmed in disinterested local news station interview 2-camera shot/reaction/shot/reaction style

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lonos Oboe posted:

Be careful what you wish for. I said when District 9 came out that I really wanted to see Blomkamp direct an Aliens movie and after Chappie I am not so sure.

I think the short is loving awesome rad, but I didn't really feel like I was watching a Star Wars. I felt like I was watching a kick rear end space anime. The action scenes may rule, but imagine how stilted the whole thing would end up being in dialogue. (Maybe they could set it during the prequel trilogy)

Edit: Chazz Palminteri

Chappie owned so much, Star Wars could learn from it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My literal reaction to the new trailer

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Anybody who throws out Lucas ideas is a-ok in my book

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I would still absolutely trust George Lucas to do the Star Wars movie he wrote the pieces of -- a kind of American Graffiti in the Star Wars universe. Gang of young adults bulls-eyeing womp rats in their T-16s, getting in pod races, and then reality sinks in, and they go on to become adults on the Outer Rim of the still-fragile and kind of frightening New Galactic Republic.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

homullus posted:

I would still absolutely trust George Lucas to do the Star Wars movie he wrote the pieces of -- a kind of American Graffiti in the Star Wars universe. Gang of young adults bulls-eyeing womp rats in their T-16s, getting in pod races, and then reality sinks in, and they go on to become adults on the Outer Rim of the still-fragile and kind of frightening New Galactic Republic.

Is this what he actually wanted to do? Do you have any relevant links?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

effectual posted:

Chappie owned so much, Star Wars could learn from it.

In my campaign last year I had buzzdroid claim that when they broke the atmospheric seals on ships then the people inside got to take naps! :downs:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That BB-8 droid is loving bonkers. I have no clue how they could do that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hadaka Apron posted:

Is this what he actually wanted to do? Do you have any relevant links?

I didn't mean to imply that he had written it all at once, just that it's something he clearly had on his mind throughout. A New Hope had footage cut showing more of Luke interacting more with his friends in Anchorage back home, including Biggs and a bunch of others whose only appearance was the cutting room floor. You can find stills and even some of the footage online.

Lucas' areas of film expertise are racing, pulp (especially pulp sci-fi), and coming of age. I would still trust him to do an ok job of that that if he didn't have to try to connect it to the rest of Star Wars, especially in something as nearly unfilmable with a sub-R-rating as the downfall of the Jedi order and the Republic. Anakin as filmed was too young or too old for Lucas to do anything with (but he did it anyway and welp). I think it's why the pod race sequence feels (to me) like one great bit dropped into an otherwise not-so-great movie. Really, I think American Graffiti is quite good and shows the "young person about to cross over into a kind of scarier adult world" that he's showing with Luke later, and more metaphorically/via "Hero's Journey" stuff.

It's a big reason I think so much of the EU's "everyone in the original movies must actually be hypercompetent Force-sensitive immortal badasses" is so wrong. They're a bunch of young people trying to do the right thing in a violent, confusing situation. Leia is the most competent of them and even she's accidentally in the middle of it, more like a Roslin suddenly in charge of what's left of the good guys. It's a great metaphor for becoming an adult.

Edit: this should be required reading for anyone interested in what was in Lucas' head going into Episode IV.

homullus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 18, 2015

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

homullus posted:

I would still absolutely trust George Lucas

lol you dumbass

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

EU is definitively no more

The Force Awakens celebration revealed the name of the two factions in the new trilogy and they aren't The Empire and The Rebel Alliance. Or The New Republic.

The Stormtroopers are supposedly part of The First Order, while the rebels are now called the Resistance.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
rest in piss eu

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Star Wars Battlefront 3 will not feature space combat or Clone Wars battles. Only battles on the ground on Tattooine, Endor, Hoth, Sullust and Free DLC Jakku.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Arcsquad12 posted:

Star Wars Battlefront 3 will not feature space combat or Clone Wars battles. Only battles on the ground on Tattooine, Endor, Hoth, Sullust and Free DLC Jakku.

But it will have playable women stormtroopers!
Take that Patriarchy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

only 4 planets? booo

happyhippy posted:

But it will have playable women stormtroopers!
Take that Patriarchy.

in a stunning twist the empire will have female stormtroopers and the rebellion will be all dudes

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The space battles in Battlefront 2 were awful and it had its share of bad maps.

But nothing really means anything until we see gameplay, since Battlefront 2 was 10 years ago and was a PS2/X-Box-era title.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

But nothing really means anything until we see gameplay, since Battlefront 2 was 10 years ago and was a PS2/X-Box-era title.

i liked the space battles.

but i also liked star wars galaxies so i might just be a goober

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

yeah they were the low point of the game. also taking fighters away from ground maps was a mistake, flying around in y-wings and doing bombing runs was fun as poo poo even if it was completely useless to your team.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

EU is definitively no more

The Force Awakens celebration revealed the name of the two factions in the new trilogy and they aren't The Empire and The Rebel Alliance. Or The New Republic.

The Stormtroopers are supposedly part of The First Order, while the rebels are now called the Resistance.

No Solo kids would really put it to rest.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
the space battles in battlefronts 2 ruined any enjoyment of battlefronts 2

also playing as a jedi was lame because it was so much better than playing as a regular guy that you would just wait until you were luke or whatever and then just steamroll 30 guys effortlessly making playing anything else basically pointless

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

210% pro shot right here.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shiksa posted:

i liked the space battles.

but i also liked star wars galaxies so i might just be a goober

Same.

And being a jedi was baller, but in multiplayer you needed to make sure that it wasn't set up so only one side could have it at a time, so you could counter the other teams badass if need be.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Oh my gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Again, it's like poetry, so that they rhyme.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

battlefront 1 was the poo poo tho

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

StashAugustine posted:

battlefront 1 was the poo poo tho

Hell yeah, remember how you could go prone and fire from there? I used cover like that as an engineer repairing turrets and throwing out supplies to our boys so they could foot to rebel rear end.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Galactic Conquest was the best circa 2004 or so. Whatever that loving autist has done since has tarnished the reputation of a legitimately great mod. It was up there with modern combat as far as fun/quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
[img]http://i.imgur.com/3J7Zs

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 19, 2015

• Locked thread