Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

odiv posted:

Aw poo poo I forgot about game day. I have a lovely Temur midrange deck I can maybe throw a new Surrak in. I don't have too many DTK cards yet.

That deck is strong and beautiful and don't you dare insult its magnificence :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Count Bleck posted:

I had someone tell me to replace some of the sideboard cards with Searing Blood and another Scouring Sands for Game Day, because RDW is back and RDW needs to actually interact with RDW to not lose to RDW.

Waka waka!

I'm considering removing a hall of triumph and. Rabblrmaster for two searing blood in the sideboard. Decisions are hard.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dohaeris posted:

I'm considering removing a hall of triumph and. Rabblrmaster for two searing blood in the sideboard. Decisions are hard.

I took out Commune With Lava and the Destructive Revelry because I am good at decisions.

And also bad at them at the same time because Commune With Lava is Not A Card™

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Count Bleck posted:

That deck is strong and beautiful and don't you dare insult its magnificence :argh:
My Temur midrange is lovely though. I've basically been throwing in whatever looks good and what I can get my hands on in RUG. I've got a fair amount of one and two ofs, not even a full set of Wooded Foothills, etc.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

SCG stream would be even worse. They wouldn't even have Rich Hagon.

As long as it's Cedric and Patrick, it's good. Matthias Hunt is bad though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Toshimo posted:

MARDU WOE-REAPER
No I'm the guy with Sidisi Whip. I keep punting against BW warriors and I don't know what I can do to not punt that matchup besides getting a t2 caryatid into t3 sidisi.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
RE: Searing Blood

Honestly, between RDW mirrors, various Token builds, and then just for killing mana dorks early, Searing Blood is useful enough to main at least a 2-of, though I've seen some decks going for a full playset. I currently run a 2/2 split between it and Magma Jet in the main and sideboard - Searing Blood for creature decks and Magma Jet for Control decks.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Reid Duke has infinite patience. His opponent taking forever on Turn 5 of turns with no outs in hand was infuriating. Also he sucked at tapping his lands.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Today at Game Day I shall be what everyone believes to be the Red Player in their minds.

Play fast and loose, Never not swinging, tapping my fingers on the table when it's not my turn, flickering my cards erratically, and drinking coffee.

It's probably the coffee.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Got back from my first game day playing Rg Deck Wins, came in second because of a terrible game 1 round 1 against abzan aggro. Still managed to get a promo and trade in to a second one (for 2 regular thunderbreaks). Heading to my second game day right now, hopefully I can pick up another promo and the champ mat!

E: first game day of the day, not first game day ever.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Everyone figured out Ojutai is super good so now he's expensive, yet Narset is still $30 despite not seeing a ton of play even in control.

Checks out.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Everyone figured out Ojutai is super good so now he's expensive, yet Narset is still $30 despite not seeing a ton of play even in control.

Checks out.

Casual appeal. Narset is pretty cool.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Went 3-1 at Gameday with Yasooka's UB control only losing to GR Dragons (I got really bad draws game 1, destroyed him game 2, he managed to resolve a xenagos with no downfall and a purely reactive hand and got wrecked), got a promo which I promptly traded for a omniscience for my new legacy deck.

Also made the bold decision to buy into a ton of shocks (mainly for personal use, though also as an investment) at £4.50 each. Are shocklands good investments? They aren't going to down in price any time soon right?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
What can someone tell me to expect in origins cause I eagerly await it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

What can someone tell me to expect in origins cause I eagerly await it.

This Liliana and some cards.

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015
Sounds like it will be somewhere between a core set and a big expansion in style. More new cards than usual, but not a giant blob of new mechanics.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
While I would like to play more magic getting eight people for game day is kinda sweet.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nashun posted:

Sounds like it will be somewhere between a core set and a big expansion in style. More new cards than usual, but not a giant blob of new mechanics.

Fantastic!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Swept through Gameday really easily with an Abzan Aggro deck I've had zero success with before. I think its good in this new meta maybe?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Does anyone know if the game day promos are in other languages? Specifically, I want Russian promo Thunderbreaks.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Gaaah. Got destroyed at Pre-TQ thing. Game one against R/W with Soulfire Grand Master and such. Lost the first game, won the second, and should have one the third, but I allowed blockers before killing something with Searing Blood, because I just didn't see it. Driving me nuts, because after that I got paired against an Abzan deck that Rhino'd me to death and then a UB Control that thoughtseized my hand out of any usable state over two turns and my draws were just terrible both games.

Luck was NOT with me. Searing Blood was awesome and I'm glad I included it though. Going back for Game Day tonight to hopefully have a better showing.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Played in my first standard ~ever~ today with BW Warriors. I don't own any Hero's Downfalls so both BU control guys just boarded in their Ashiok and unceremoniously steamrolled me on games 2 + 3. Guess I'm sideboarding 4x Utter End tomorrow!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Swept through Gameday really easily with an Abzan Aggro deck I've had zero success with before. I think its good in this new meta maybe?
Yeah the guy on Abzan Aggro swept ours too. Seems to have game against a lot of the field.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Split the last round of game day for 6 packs and lost against him for the playmat. Oh well paid five bucks got my promos and I am very happy with my packs.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Back from my second game day of the day and I came in second AGAIN. I managed to get a play set of promos as well though, so overall I came out with everything I wanted save for the play mat.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
My friend (GR Dragons) and I (UB 2 creatures in the 75) went undefeated at Game Day until I slew him for there can BE ONLY ONE.

I remain convinced of the superiority of the Adrian Sullivan style of control, I was the only one on it and all the dragon control decks did pretty badly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

RDW is great, went 3-0-1, drawing in with the other RDW deck.

Had a guy I've never seen in our store with his fancypants SCG Invitational Top 8 Playmat as my round 3 opponent, playing the natural Abzan Midrange. 2-0'd him without much effort. Completely went off as soon as he realized the Stoke in my hand was still in my hand after he Duressed my Atarka's Command previously, shocker.

:argh: Nine times out of ten my deck WRECKS yours!

:v: Uh-huh.

:argh: Your deck is terrible, TERRIBLE! (I'm killing him with Stoke the Flames now)

:v: Take 4, good games?
I mean without aggro there'd be nothing but UB control variants so it seems weird for an Abzan player to complain

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

Does anyone know if the game day promos are in other languages? Specifically, I want Russian promo Thunderbreaks.

Yes, they make the promos in all languages. Same thing with FNM.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
3 hours into Game Day I sold my Standard deck off and do not regret it

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Just watched Jeskai Ascendancy Combo win game 3 vs. UB control the turn before she would have died through two counterspells. It was extremely clutch. She untapped with Ascendancy and two Caryatids, looted away her 3rd Crusader and played the 4th. Opponent chose not to counter it, used his first on a second, unnecessary Ascendancy and his second on the first Retraction Helix-- the casting of which looted her into the second. Insanely sick turn.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Went undefeated in my game day and split prizes in the finals taking the playmat with Mono-Red as my weapon of choice.

Mono-red is real good y'all, you best have some hate in your boards for that bad boy.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I played Magic in HS around Saga/Masques but my re-entrance to the game was the M14 Prerelease. Today I took down the (admittedly only 10 player) Game Day to win my first tournament. Sure I've 3-0d drafts and casual Modern events, but it feels great to finally get a win that comes with something that says "Champion" on it. I had previously got 2nd at the THS and JOU Game Days with White Weenie and I got a top 4 at TCG Std States last fall with Mono Red.

I played Atarka Red. Round 1 I beat a Naya brew and round 2 I beat Gb Constellation. Since there were only two 2-0s by then there wasn't a need for a cut so round 3 was just The Finals.

Opponent was on Atarka Red running the exact 75 from the Pro Tour. I had been concerned about this match-up and the poor sideboard for the mirror in the PT list so I cut the 2 Rabblemasters, 2 Halls, and 1 Heelcutter from the Dang SB and replaced them with 2 Magnetic Chasm, 2 Searing Blood, and 1 Arc Lightning.

Turns out when you make a proactive change like that, draw the 1-of Scouring Sands both games, and in game 3 just generally draw 4 of the 6 SB cards you brought in, you can win the mirror pretty handily after losing game 1. Feels great. I got my first 3-0 in the DTK draft format on Friday night so I'm on a heater, I might even get up early to go play in a Modern Super IQ across town.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GoutPatrol posted:

Yes, they make the promos in all languages. Same thing with FNM.

Sweet, thanks! I knew this was the case for FNM promos, but I wasn't sure about Game Day.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Four Score posted:

3 hours into Game Day I sold my Standard deck off and do not regret it

Good for you?

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
Managed to go 2-2 (got a bye in round 2 though so really 1-2) with my trashy mono-blue "Ascendancy" combo deck today at Game Day which ended up being good enough for top 8! I lost in the quarterfinals cause the deck is horrible but drat if it doesn't reinforce to me that combo is the best deck type and I need to never not play it. :colbert: drat that promo is gorgeous though, really happy with how today turned out.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Soothing Cacophony posted:

Managed to go 2-2 (got a bye in round 2 though so really 1-2) with my trashy mono-blue "Ascendancy" combo deck today at Game Day which ended up being good enough for top 8! I lost in the quarterfinals cause the deck is horrible but drat if it doesn't reinforce to me that combo is the best deck type and I need to never not play it. :colbert: drat that promo is gorgeous though, really happy with how today turned out.
Is that the Scribe-Spellfist-Helix-Net all-common combo?

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
Yep. I used Briber's Purse instead of Net and had a 3-2 mix of Spellfists and Altar of the Brood to hedge bets against control. Just a stupid deck but so fun when no one's expecting to get combo'd out by draft fodder.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ramos posted:

Casual appeal. Narset is pretty cool.

Meh, casual appeal isn't usually $30 good.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
God, I love Altar of the Brood. It drives people insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mr. Jive posted:

God, I love Altar of the Brood. It drives people insane.

Without context this is quite good.

Count Bleck posted:

Today at Game Day I shall be what everyone believes to be the Red Player in their minds.

Homeless? Sorry to hear that, bad beats.

• Locked thread