Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

The fact that Nathan burned his bridges with the show in spectacular fashion only for his Hollywood career to amount to a bit part on a failed adaptation of Harry Potter fanfiction just makes Joseph Gilgun's success that much better.

What did he do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

GreenNight posted:

Then why say it?

because it is actually true, supernatural's awful.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

pentyne posted:

What did he do?

By "burned his bridges" he means "he didn't renew his contract as he is a really good actor who didn't want to sit in one role for years." Goon hyperbole bullshit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

because it is actually true, supernatural's awful.

It peaked in season 3-5
- season 6 was a mess
- 7 got back to some decent story but fell flat
- 8 had some great parts but on a whole was just a long drawn out set-up for season 9
- 9 really dragged because it was another "brother lies to other brother" thing for 2/3rds of the season
- 10 started out great but lost momentum and the secondary villain is boring as hell and its taken 18 episodes for her to be given any importance to the story

Every season has at least 4-5 really good episodes, 8-10 half decent and then some completely terrible ones. The Charlie (Felicia Day) episodes almost always felt forced, there was the terrible Bloodlines backdoor pilot that contradicted everything in the series up to that point, and a lot of the time it feels like the writers are just recycling the original plots of Sam vs. Dean, who will sacrifice more for the other and its been 10 loving YEARS AND ITS NEVER WORKED OUT WELL.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

By "burned his bridges" he means "he didn't renew his contract as he is a really good actor who didn't want to sit in one role for years." Goon hyperbole bullshit.

Same thing for the actor who played Matthew Crawly on Downton Abbey. He talked about how despite the show being so successful he was still making the same as when the show started because that's just how the UK TV industry works, and after 3 years he wanted to do something else and get paid more. He probably made more on one season of the cancelled Tomorrow People then he did during his entire Downton Abbey run.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the guy playing Nathan might be a dick since he didn't even film a proper goodbye episode. He left the show in a webisode that was actually fun but nobody saw it so it seems like he left abruptly.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Oh okay yeah that makes sense. Yeah, that actor's a dick because the programme makers wrote him out in such a way as to make the introduction of the new character not be all about the guy who has left. No. Wait. I was wrong. That is loving stupid.

You are slagging someone off based on no more information than "he left a show I like." It's pathetic.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Oh okay yeah that makes sense. Yeah, that actor's a dick because the programme makers wrote him out in such a way as to make the introduction of the new character not be all about the guy who has left. No. Wait. I was wrong. That is loving stupid.

You are slagging someone off based on no more information than "he left a show I like." It's pathetic.

The dude actually said some really lovely things but by all means don't let not knowing what you're talking about get in the way of complaining about those goony goons gooning up the goonosphere with their goonyness.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

corn in the bible posted:

I don't want you to think I am trolling when I say that Supernatural is retarded poo poo for children

Not sure what your point is.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sleeveless posted:

The dude actually said some really lovely things but by all means don't let not knowing what you're talking about get in the way of complaining about those goony goons gooning up the goonosphere with their goonyness.

Do feel free to give us some quotes, because all I saw in interviews with him was him wishing people the best and saying that the new guy was great.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
All I have to say about Supernatural is: " in the heeeEEat of the moment" and some people hate fun. this season is really killing me though :(

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

After binging through Black Mirror (and Utopia months ago) - we're looking for more "super weird British shows." Any recommendations?

may i introduce you to a tv show called "doc-tor who"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Oh poo poo.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
We've created a monster.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Burn it all down.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Toxxupation posted:

No worse than supernatural

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mods

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Pack up guys, thread's over

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why isn't SpiderHyphenman allowed to post here?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

Why isn't SpiderHyphenman allowed to post here?

I think it had something to do with baiting Ravane in his SpiderHyphenMan way.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Toxxupation posted:

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the guy playing Nathan might be a dick since he didn't even film a proper goodbye episode. He left the show in a webisode that was actually fun but nobody saw it so it seems like he left abruptly.

IIRC, Sheehan let his contract lapse and went off to do other roles. As mentioned above about UK's television industry, he likely made more money doing that lovely City of Bones movie than two series of Misfits.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

IIRC, Sheehan let his contract lapse and went off to do other roles. As mentioned above about UK's television industry, he likely made more money doing that lovely City of Bones movie than two series of Misfits.

Patrick Stewart, afraid he would get mocked and disregarded after he came to the US to do Star Trek, returned to the UK to meet his contemporaries and rather then cracks about artistic integrity literally everyone over there asked him about how the US industry pays as opposed to the UK and if he could give them a contact to break into the US media scene.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Does the UK television industry really pay that little? And what does that even mean in hard numbers?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

DominoDancing posted:

Does the UK television industry really pay that little? And what does that even mean in hard numbers?

Compared to US shows? They get paid a lot less. There's a tiny (By relative standards) immediate audience and though things do get sold worldwide it doesn't really alter anything too much. Of course it's not just actor's pay that's smaller, everything about the production is. We like to make a big deal of how we only do 6 episodes a series or whatever, but the truth is that if the budgets allowed it then we'd be putting out a lot more.

Take the dreaded Dr Who for example. It's a hit and does well worldwide, but because of how much budget it eats up from the BBC there's a lot less to go around to make other programming which, frankly, is kind of sad. Even just at 10 episodes or whatever it is, the BBC stretch themselves and have to resort to putting out a lot of cheap programming to make up for it. I can guarantee you that David Tennant made a lot more money from doing Gracepoint than he probably made from 2 series of Dr Who.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DominoDancing posted:

The UK is basically doing what the US was doing the the 1920s regarding talent and actors, and for some reason its never changed. Since the early 1990s actors have been looking for inroads into US shows/films because its better in every way. During the run-up to the release of Selma, there were a couple of articles about how black UK actors are seeking opportunities in the US because they kinds of parts they can get are 100x better then the UK equivalent.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DrVenkman posted:

I can guarantee you that David Tennant made a lot more money from doing Gracepoint than he probably made from 2 series of Dr Who.
The rumour is that he was on close to a million pounds a season at the end, but by that point he wass the face of one of the biggest shows in the UK (and Matt Smith got a lot less when he replaced him).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DominoDancing posted:

Fun fact, Nathan was the only original cast member of Misfits to be paid. The others were acting on a BBC show as part of their community service.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We just got Showtime as part of a "please please don't switch to Google Fiber" promotion, so: what's worth watching (besides Shameless)?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

zoux posted:

We just got Showtime as part of a "please please don't switch to Google Fiber" promotion, so: what's worth watching (besides Shameless)?

The Affair, Penny Dreadful, Masters of Sex (the first season at least), Homeland (the first season at least)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

zoux posted:

moron

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
finally got my aol subscription guys. know any good websites?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol what?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I'm guessing he's questioning why you didn't switch to Google Fiber if you have access to it. Otherwise I got nothing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I fought hard for it but we are planning on moving this summer and you have to sign a contract and don't know if where we end up will have Google Fiber. So we decided to put it off for now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spoiler for second episode of Other Space that might convince people to watch. Dave Franco plays an alien infiltrating the ship who can only speak in Matthew McConaughey quotes.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It's Futurama meets The Office. That's Other Space. Watch that poo poo. Also it's by the guy they put in charge of Ghostbusters so you can see if you like the humor from the cast interactions. If so, you'll probably like the new Ghostbusters.

I thought the lady playing the computer was a bit community college, but everyone else was solid for an obvious low budget show. Plus for some reason it was really cool to see Joel palling it around with Crow a different robot. I'm already looking forward to season two.

Paul Feig also created and wrote Freaks and Geeks if that means anything to anyone.

Watch that poo poo. Yahoo in 2015? WHAT? It's a thing!

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 18, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Plus google fiber is a lot more expensive.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

blue squares posted:

Plus google fiber is a lot more expensive.

Isn't it like 130 bucks a month? Around here you have to pay more than that for expanded basic cable and internet.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I saw some people were talking about Orphan Black. I've been watching it over from the beginning, and I forgot how great season 1 was. (not that I don't like the rest). It's utterly confusing at the beginning, and she has a whole bunch of stuff wrong, including mixing up a lot of people, but it's completely understandable, since she's making logical conclusions. It's just the actual world is totally insane. :dance:

The really interesting part about what Tatiana Maslani has to do as an actress, isn't just that she has to play a bunch of different characters, but she gets to double-dip a whole bunch of times, playing one character PLAYING another character (often with different accents). That has got to be hard as poo poo to pull off, and she's drat good at it. She get's better at differentiating the characters as the show goes on, and she does a drat good job with the double-dipping, and it's often really funny as well. Allison, the soccer mom, trying to be Sara is great. Oi!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been binging Agents of SHIELD as part of a whole big MCU watch taking all the movies, one shots, and TV shows in order leading up to Avengers 2. I know there's a lot of negative opinions about SHIELD but I think it really benefits from watching it this way. Its definitely not a great show. It feels kind of cheap and by the numbers early on and the first half dozen episodes didn't suck me in at all. But after Episode 7 I watched Thor 2 and when we come back for Episode 8 its playing off the events of Thor 2. Its not really a crossover or anything but it makes SHIELD feel a little more like part of the universe. Then over the next dozen episodes it feels like that really picks up with a lot of secondary characters from the movies or one-shots playing more of a role, more conspiracy stuff playing out that gives the show more of a forward momentum, and even some stuff that feels like it might be part of the bigger universe. I just watched "The End of the Beginning" which leads into Captain America 2 and it really feels like something is happening at large.

So yeah, I'm gonna go watch Cap 2 now for the first time and see how this keeps going but I just felt like saying that while I agree SHIELD is kind of a mediocre stand alone show its actually way more fun when viewed as bigger part of the puzzle like all the MCU movies. I'm actually really glad I never saw any of this Phase 2 stuff when it first came out and instead just collected it to binge before Avengers 2. That wasn't exactly the plan and I doubt I'll have the patience to sit on Phase 3 for two years to repeat this process, but it really does add to the experience when you take it all in as one big piece instead of a lot of different parts with disparate quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Cap 2 is really good. It might just be my favourite Marvel movie because it's part thriller despite the fact it reigns it back in and becomes a Marvel movie at the very end.

Is there a guide to watching AoS and Phase 2 movies (the ship has kinda sailed, but still) in the proper order? It sounds like they touch on some stuff with the movies partway through the season, especially with the events of Winter Soldier. It almost convinced me to go back and watching more AoS, actually.

• Locked thread