Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Jenx posted:

Okay first off - I don't see how using HeroPoints as both experience and as Fate points somehow discourages people from doing cool things. That's like saying that it's discouraging for people to do cool things by asking them to roll to see if they succeed. People will still do crazy stuff, regardless. Hell, in HeroQuest this is much easier to justify, since you're not really supposed to just have all of your abilities raised by several points every single session - they work fine as they are.

This has been established in several other games that made the same error--basically, why spend your currency for a one-time boost when you can save it and get a permanent, more useful boost? Shadowrun, Seventh Sea, Numenera and others have all fallen into this trap and it works out in a similar way every time. Like really, the incentives are just not equal and if it's possible to do cool stuff without spending dramatic currency then people will, but they'll generally pretty readily sacrifice more interesting moves for longer term gains. I've seen it myself several times. Fortunately it's usually trivially easy to separate the points into two pools.

The d20 curve is also swingier than I prefer, but it's at least a simple rolling mechanic. Masteries triggering automatically might make it hard for a great warrior trying to travel in disguise or whatever, I think that point needs some clarification but in general it won't matter much.

The thing I like best about Glorantha and campaign possibilities is pretty much what BryanChavez said--you have a defined community to go with your adventures, whose fortunes rise and fall with your own, and exist in a really intricately woven backdrop. That makes a lot of Glorantha pretty system-agnostic but it's still nice to get an official supplement that outlines some capabilities and intended relative strengths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

occamsnailfile posted:

Masteries triggering automatically might make it hard for a great warrior trying to travel in disguise or whatever, I think that point needs some clarification but in general it won't matter much.

I...don't...what? I'll be honest, I've read this thing several times and I genuinely do not understand what you mean. Do you mind expanding on this, because I just don't see what the first part has to do with the second one.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Jenx posted:

I...don't...what? I'll be honest, I've read this thing several times and I genuinely do not understand what you mean. Do you mind expanding on this, because I just don't see what the first part has to do with the second one.

In the explanation of task resolution you mention that masteries trigger automatically, which suggests that you can't 'pull your punches' at that level. I may be misunderstanding, sorry for being unclear.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

occamsnailfile posted:

In the explanation of task resolution you mention that masteries trigger automatically, which suggests that you can't 'pull your punches' at that level. I may be misunderstanding, sorry for being unclear.

If you are doing that, I think you would make your action "<x> but hiding my true strength". And then your mastery would increase your chance at performing the action while hiding your true strength being successful. It makes sense in my head, if not in these words.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

occamsnailfile posted:

Kibner's right. It's all about accomplishing your goals. If your great warrior is trying to travel in disguise, success would be pulling your punches. Failure might actually be a case of accidentally revealing just how powerful you are.

This is covered on page 58 of HeroQuest Glorantha, or page 21 of HeroQuest Second Edition, under "Framing the Contest."

Of course, it may be equally true that a great warrior might actually find it difficult to slip through the countryside in disguise. If you have an ability such as "Famed Throughout Dragon Pass", it might act as a flaw when trying to hold back, representing the danger of someone recognising you, even when you're holding back.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair
Yeah, if your goal isn't the utter destruction of your opponents, you just wouldn't define the contest in those terms. I'd define it as something like, "Can you mask your true strength while not getting hurt at the same time?" If you were a Gorite or Uroxi berserk, I might require you to roll beforehand against the Rune you've initiated with, in order to see if you can hold back your savage bloodlust. The same would be true if you had a particular personality trait, or some other ability that might make it hard to hide who you are. Otherwise, it'd be the same as any other contest, with the consequences of that contest clearly laid out beforehand: you want to look less skilled than you truly are. If you succeed, you do. The GM tells you what your consequences for failure would be. In this case, I'd probably say, "You'll have to take a wound of a severity equal to your failure level, or immediately discard your disguise, with consequences for that also being based on your failure level."

As for hero points, I just like to houserule it so that spending one to boost a roll is treated as if you had also spent it to permanently increase the primary ability of that roll. I like it better that way, and it works just fine.

BryanChavez fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 18, 2015

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

It seems others got around to answer it before I did, but yeah - that's about it. All contests are about context and framing. Your mastery is exactly that - a mastery, a level of competence. You have to keep in mind that in HeroQuest, your abilities are not your stats. They are characterizations. You might just as easily have an ability called "Greatest Fighter in the World 2W" and that will only be true until you actually fail at it, at which point it's plainly obvious that, while your character might think they are the greatest warrior in the world, reality does not actually agree with them. In short - abilities are not absolutely, 100% objective facts about the world the way stats are.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just pre-ordered Hero Quest: Glorantha, is there a general idea of when this thing is going to the printers? And on the that topic, what's the 13th age in Glorantha game going to be like? It doesn't seem like a system particularly suited to the setting, with the way magic works and everything.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Heroquest: Glorantha got sent to the printers.... monday before last, I think.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Very nice. I'm excited.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Moon Design has started up a podcast, featuring Jeff Richards and Michael O’Brien (MOB) chatting it up about gaming and glorantha.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
HeroQuest is shipping! :toot:

http://www.glorantha.com/heroquest-glorantha-is-shipping/

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So I was looking through Ryuutama, and I began to wonder, do you think this system would be really good for a Glorantha campaign? Characters are already in more mundane classes, and the built in world and town building mechanics could be used to make glorantha fairly easily. Maybe switch some of the descriptions of the spells and I think you would be good to go. Does anyone see a potential area that would need more work?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Yeah, I think it'd work (at least from what I can tell about the game from skimming the game's website). I'd probably lean towards setting such a game in the lunar empire, since it's a large, peaceful, pluralistic, colorful region.

Some notes:
  • Everyone in glorantha has access to at least some magic (even if it's "plow stuff good"). You'll probably want to tweak things to match.
  • The Ryuutama could easily be replaced with spirits or minor gods. Groups of people developing a guardian spirit is actually a major theme in glorantha (Ginna Jar, Orlanthi Wyter, Dara Harrapan battle standards, etc). Alternately, a lunar game could even feature the characters being shadowed by mysteriously friendly agents of the Red Emperor.

Otherwise it looks pretty simple and fun!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My HeroQuest book is supposed to get here by Monday. I'm so disappointed it won't be here before the weekend. Reading the pdf just isn't the same. :(

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Mine is supposed to arrive Saturday!

On the one weekend I'm not home. :dawkins101:

On the plus side, D101 games released three new glorantha products today!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Haystack posted:

Mine is supposed to arrive Saturday!

On the one weekend I'm not home. :dawkins101:

On the plus side, D101 games released three new glorantha products today!

Mine came early today! Huzzah! Hopefully yours does, too.

The book is a bit thinner than I expected for 250+ pages. Nice glossy pages and good colors, though the spine feels a little weak (that may just be me).

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Kibner posted:

Mine came early today! Huzzah! Hopefully yours does, too.

It did!

I'm already away at the con :suicide:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
ahahaha that sucks. I'm working overtime from now until July 1st, so I won't have much time to read it myself.

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!
Got mine today, it really came out quite nice. :)

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

And now, the thrilling conclusion to Booksaga

The package with HQ:G and King of Sartar was delivered last thursday, only hours after I left for the weekend.

The post office left it on my doorstep, despite explicit instructions to the contrary.

But hey, I had someone looking in on my animals, and I asked them to check for any packages!

Well, I've got two doors to my house, and he checked the wrong one.

So the package got left outside for three and a half days.

Unusually large and violent Midwestern storms swept through the region for two of those. gently caress.

I got home, and the package had clearly gotten wet, although it wasn't soaked.

And thank orlanth, the books were fine. There's maybe the sliiightist bit of warping from humidity, but I think the package was largely in the lee of the storm.

FIN

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
You should have sacrificed to Orlanth before the trip.

smdh

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
This news is not exactly TG, but it's still Glorantha related: King of Dragon Pass is now available on Steam, just in case you're like me and you don't have a copy of it!

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

For those who are not following the events of Gen Con, there is Big News regarding Moon Design, Chaosium, Glorantha and a lot of other things.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Whoa. Time is a flat circle.

Also, I see that the GtG won the Diana Jones award. Well deserved, that.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
http://store.steampowered.com/app/352220

King of Dragon Pass just went up on Steam. Seems like this is based off the iOS/Android version, so it should have some new scenarios in it as well as a different UI.

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!

SunAndSpring posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/352220

King of Dragon Pass just went up on Steam. Seems like this is based off the iOS/Android version, so it should have some new scenarios in it as well as a different UI.

It is the Android port currently. HeroCraft say they'll be updating with the iOS content soon.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hey Jenx, when can we be expecting the triumphant return of Prince of Sartar?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Hey Jenx, when can we be expecting the triumphant return of Prince of Sartar?

I've had a real bad week last week, so I don't want to make promises that I can't keep. So let's say firmly this month, and less firmly - next Sunday (9th) I'll post the Introduction page for Chapter 4, then after that we proceed with the chapter as per usual.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Do we finally get to see Glorantha's greatest bromance?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Do we finally get to see Glorantha's greatest bromance?

I don't know, maybe you'd like to elaborate on that?

My answer would probably be no though.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jenx posted:

I don't know, maybe you'd like to elaborate on that?

My answer would probably be no though.

HARREK/ARGATH

Dude.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Harrek and Argrath are the Riggs and Murtaugh of Glorantha.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Jenx posted:

For those who are not following the events of Gen Con, there is Big News regarding Moon Design, Chaosium, Glorantha and a lot of other things.

drat, now that's really something!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Completely unrelated to the discussion, but since this is the lore thread: is Elmal Guards the Stead from KoDP another version/part of I Fought We Won?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Elmal Guards the Stead is the story of what happened back home during the Lightbringers Quest, in which Orlanth made peace and returned Yelm to the world. This lead to the Cosmic Compromise.

I Fought We Won is the great struggle against Chaos undertaken by all cultures, where everyone tells of their great hero defeating the forces of chaos (but it was really all of them at once, in many simultaneous battles.) They're two different events.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They were happening around the same time though, right? That's why I thought some portions of Orlanthi society might revere Elmal as the fighter in I Fought We Won instead of Heort.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

They were happening around the same time though, right? That's why I thought some portions of Orlanthi society might revere Elmal as the fighter in I Fought We Won instead of Heort.

It's absolutely possible for some of them to view the quest like that.

I don't think what Elmal did was part of the I Fought, We Won battle, mostly due to finer details. Elmal was left to guard Orlanth's home and his people. He was never actually alone, as you can see by the fact that the people around him cry in order to reknit him after he is killed. The core of the myth is the unwavering loyalty and steadfastness of the Loyal Thane, who refuses to disobey his lord for anything - combat, glory, love.

Meanwhile the IFWW battle is, about how the acts of lone individuals can somehow give strength to everyone. Heort fought the IFWW battle by his own - He went past the Second Son and walked beyond the edge of the world. There was nobody there, not even the Second Son. Just him and the Predark. It's also important that, ultimately, Heort did not win the battle on his own. That's why it's called We Won. He fought on his own, despite knowing that he will lose, despite the fear of the Predark. The reason he survived, the reason all of the individuals who participated in this, is the fact that each of the chose to give his or her life for the survival of their people, and because of that all of them, collectively, gained the needed strength to resist Chaos.

I am not sure how well this explains things, but I hope it's at least mildly useful.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I know I'm late to the party, but I just got my copy of the Guide and :stwoon:. It's pretty much up there as the best-produced RPG thing I own. It's next to 2nd edition Nobilis for "drat, that's a spectacular book." Worth the :10bux:, wish I'd backed the KS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
IFFW is also mainly associated with mortals in Gloranthan cultures. Praxians don't view Storm Bull as having fought the IFFW battle (or Waha).

• Locked thread