Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I use AP on other DDs instead because it means they're usually dead before we get close enough to hit with torpedoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

pun pundit posted:

After watching those replays by Rossmum I don't know what the gently caress any more. In close range brawls I shoot AP and aim at the waterline of the flush sides of the enemy between their turret mounts, but I seem unable to get any citadel penetrations. Is there great armor differences between tiers? Is there One Weird Trick Discovered By An Ozzie, the IJN Hates Him? What am I likely to be doing wrong?

IJN cruisers, especially at tiers 2 through 4, are made of paper and react very badly to being shot. They are also (except Yubari) three- or four-stackers which gives you a pretty easy aiming reference to punch the poo poo out of the boilers. Pubbies in them also tend to fire HE out of the mistaken belief that it's better at killing cruisers (it's not, as long as you can aim). As a result, I two- or three-salvo them, they barely scratch me.

Also turret barbettes can be a pain, boiler/engine rooms seem to be much easier to hit and penetrate, for me at least.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Hencoe posted:

So what exactly IS a citadel that you hit and do a ton of damage to.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Could've sworn that's the conning tower, but it's armor like that wrapped around the magazines and engines. Having an AP shell penetrate and go off in there is bad karma.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Gaj posted:

I dont understand the torpedo meta. I havent had success with long rang torpedo runs, anything above 6k gets dodged, my 10k torps never hit anything even the narrow spread. Japanese DD's seen gimped what with their dependence on torps and lacking of guns. Meanwhile In my Nicholas is doing fine and is very dynamic, my Jap DD's feel like Im counting on 1 minute hit and run barrages that have very low odds.

Long range torpedoes are pretty bad. They're been improved since beta started I think, but still aren't really meaningful. Don't expect to hit from more than 6-7 km even against the slowest battleships.

Besides relying on long range torpedoes that aren't worthwhile due to game mechanics, Japanese destroyers aren't well balanced as a line. Many if not most of the tier 6+ ships are straight up worse than the tier 5, which is good but not really overpowered. You also have to deal with the risk of getting the ocean map, on which you might as well quit to garage when you spawn. Some of them received a small buff in the last patch, so odds are probably even on wargaming fixing the line versus just making the low tiers useless too.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I don't know if this is in the non premium port, but those that have premium, is that the uss constitution there in the port off in the distance?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

:downsgun:

JuffoWup posted:

I don't know if this is in the non premium port, but those that have premium, is that the uss constitution there in the port off in the distance?
Kinda hard to tell, but it sure is painted like the first wiki image of the Constitution so uhh, probably?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

That's some Tokyo Drift right there. :xd:

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

I got the upgrades for the Cleveland and I'm kind of happy with it.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Demon please add this to the OP and replace that missing imgur one tia.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Don't let the Atlanta get into a half decent range...

I didn't actually do all that much damage but it just eats destroyers, the reload is so fast that by the time you have fired a rolling salvo you are reloaded and firing again.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I went straight for the Cleveland as my first aim in this game and I like it a lot, but i decided to try out DDs while waiting for a battle to end and my god it was a lot of fun to use the Umikaze. My very first game I managed to get 10 torps hits with 3 destroyed cruisers.

Are US or Japanese DDs generally better?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Destroyers are a lot of fun :3:

Two of those kills were other destroyers who ran past me that I could just torp point blank. Wrecked another two cruisers before I went down, would have gotten a fifth kill if I'd only gotten two volleys off instead of one before he finished me off.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tekopo posted:

I went straight for the Cleveland as my first aim in this game and I like it a lot, but i decided to try out DDs while waiting for a battle to end and my god it was a lot of fun to use the Umikaze. My very first game I managed to get 10 torps hits with 3 destroyed cruisers.

Are US or Japanese DDs generally better?

Destroyers are all fun up to about tier 5. The Japanese ones are faster and have better torpedoes, but have less total and kinda bad guns. US destroyers are clumsier, shoot better, and have side mounted torpedoes, mounting more with less range and damage.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I'm liking the New Orleans as well. Nothing like shooting a Cleveland and getting 3 citadel hits in one salvo. Did that twice in one game.

Also, the Fuso is a monster:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Destroyers are all fun up to about tier 5. The Japanese ones are faster and have better torpedoes, but have less total and kinda bad guns. US destroyers are clumsier, shoot better, and have side mounted torpedoes, mounting more with less range and damage.
Keep in mind that one of the main reasons destroyers stop being fun after tier 5 is because torpedoes start to take upwards of 90 seconds or more to reload.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

So I bought in a couple days ago with the Yubari, and it's been pretty fun so far.

I still have trouble getting citadel hits consistently though.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
In what sense are you "locked in" to a certain nationality? Does your captain's skills work whether you're playing a Japanese Ship or an American one? Or is it better to choose one nationality and stick with it? I've never played a wargaming game before really and don't quite get the nuances of the back-end.

I played for a bit at a friends the other night and had quite a bit of fun, I hope it's kosher to ask to be put on any invite waiting-lists if there are any floating around? embrauer @ gmail.com

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I'm in a tier 4 Japanese battleship after about 10 games. Can I assume that the xp rate is buffed up for the beta?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

SERPUS posted:

I'm in a tier 4 Japanese battleship after about 10 games. Can I assume that the xp rate is buffed up for the beta?

Unclear. Exp costs are definitely discounted but the credits economy seems to be (vaguely) tuned around players being really bad and high tiers being expensive to repair.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if everything gets ~500% grindier in the totally-not-release OB patch.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Honestly? I'm not too sure. It does seem a bit fast, but on the other hand you do, relative to WoT, have a much easier time dishing out the damage to enemy ships, especially higher tiers. It's also way harder to gently caress up and die instantly and do nothing compared to WoT. It wouldn't surprise me if they just took the WoT xp tables and plopped them in without any thought to the changes in gameplay, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it changed later. (note that I'm talking about xp gain; xp costs for ships is way lower than the equivalent tier in WoT so yeah that's probably discounted)

As for credits it's just a totally different scale. When my New Orleans dies it costs me 85k to repair. When my T10 in WoT dies it's about 24k to 32k. Also would not be surprised to see this changed just because gently caress you grind more.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Keep in mind that one of the main reasons destroyers stop being fun after tier 5 is because torpedoes start to take upwards of 90 seconds or more to reload.
Well it doesn't really matter that much in US DDs because your super short range means you'll have a much harder time getting torpedo runs anyway. Honestly I'd say that US DDs have a slump in the middle of the tier as things around you get much better, but your guns still suck. Once you get Good and Fun guns (I think the earliest you get them is at tier 8? I have to check) it's a lot of fun to just non-stop sling shells at enemy ships while dodging all their shots.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

mik posted:

In what sense are you "locked in" to a certain nationality? Does your captain's skills work whether you're playing a Japanese Ship or an American one? Or is it better to choose one nationality and stick with it? I've never played a wargaming game before really and don't quite get the nuances of the back-end.

I played for a bit at a friends the other night and had quite a bit of fun, I hope it's kosher to ask to be put on any invite waiting-lists if there are any floating around? embrauer @ gmail.com

Captains are transferable within ship of their own nation. There's nothing keeping from playing any country's ships apart from that.

Even when the game gets released, you'll probably earn a profit playing any ship below tier 6. So just play whatever is fun.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
^^^don't forget that there are retraining penalties to get the commander to start obtaining more skill points again

Insert name here posted:

Well it doesn't really matter that much in US DDs because your super short range means you'll have a much harder time getting torpedo runs anyway. Honestly I'd say that US DDs have a slump in the middle of the tier as things around you get much better, but your guns still suck. Once you get Good and Fun guns (I think the earliest you get them is at tier 8? I have to check) it's a lot of fun to just non-stop sling shells at enemy ships while dodging all their shots.
I definitely agree with you on the mid-tier slump, but that was also when I started to exploit concealment range and to learn to torpedo better.

The guns actually get slower reload down to 4.5 secs from 4.0 secs when you get to the Mahan and stay that way until the Gearing. The reason they are Good and Fun guns is because from the Benson onwards, they are mounted on hydraulic turrets and spin around like Gundams.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 18, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
For some reason I thought they got better shells as well, but yeah the (relatively) slow turn rate on the lower tier DDs really crimps your ability to manuever like a madman while unloading infinite shells at your enemies. Also your torpedoes become decent at the higher tiers which is nice. I haven't bothered looking at Japanese DDs yet but do they ever actually get decent after slumping past tier 5? Or do even the high tier ones suck?

So I'm finally getting around to watching the Japanese ships dev diary and uhh, is it just me or will Japanese CVs just be better than US CVs? Sacrificing survivability and AA armament for more squadrons seems like a win no matter how you cut it. I mean as hilarious as it is to mulch a huge attack wave with your sick nasty AA most people tend to go for BBs first because it's the smart thing to do and the ones that do deliberately gun for you tend to be, uh, not so good. Though I guess it depends on the stats of the planes the Japanese get. I can totally see them having hilariously low survivability and getting wrecked by everything heh.

E: Like I'm not going to pass judgement yet obviously until they're out because maybe the Japanese CVs will have such lovely AA and survivability that they'll make really juicy targets worth gunning for first or something but from where I'm sitting it really doesn't seem like it'd be that bad of a disadvantage.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 18, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Insert name here posted:

For some reason I thought they got better shells as well, but yeah the (relatively) slow turn rate on the lower tier DDs really crimps your ability to manuever like a madman while unloading infinite shells at your enemies. Also your torpedoes become decent at the higher tiers which is nice. I haven't bothered looking at Japanese DDs yet but do they ever actually get decent after slumping past tier 5? Or do even the high tier ones suck?

The Mutsuki and the Hatsuharu are basically the same drat thing. Neither has enough guns to do damage, both are slower than the tier 5, and both have 2x3 tubes, which is lame and stupid.

The Fubuki gets an extra set of torpedo tubes, which is good, but it's ahistorically slow for some reason.

I haven't played the Kagero, but it reverts to 2x4 torpedoes, which sounds like poo poo. At least it gets the tier 10 fast torps. It is also slow and lumpy.

The Shimakaze is fast as hell, seems to have better guns, and also has 3x5 torpedo tubes, which is pretty good. The reload isn't an issue at that tier, you have to plan your runs around your reloads, you can't just spit torps constantly. I'm looking forward to it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

El Disco posted:

Demon please add this to the OP and replace that missing imgur one tia.

Will do soon as I get home!

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Insert name here posted:

It's also way harder to gently caress up and die instantly and do nothing compared to WoT.

This is one of the things I really like about botes. Tanks could be very frustrating sometimes when that happened.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Insert name here posted:

It's also way harder to gently caress up and die instantly and do nothing compared to WoT.

It may be harder, but I'm pretty good at boats getting torpedoed, so I manage it anyway.

Managed a ridiculous carry with a couple of Goons tonight, that was pretty fun.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Apparently playing around with torpedo destroyers is the way to get a thrill. Managed to bag a carrier solo and almost did all the damage to a battleship before another destroyer took me down. Almost had a second carrier at that point

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So chat in this game is just as hilarious as it was in WoT.

Just spent an entire game where one guy "SPACEDUDE71" did nothing but bitch about his useless team camping in the back and not doing anything. He was particularly critical of my uselessness as the last surviving battleship, for failing to somehow dodge the final torp salvo that killed me when a cruiser ran in on me close, while I was fighting all of the surviving enemy at once in my own cap circle. He was the very last guy to die, and was on the very bottom of the map with the carriers. Oh, and he was a huge contributor to the team!

:rolleyes:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I just got in. I'm not seeing any commander portrait for any of my ships though? Is this a feature that I need to unlock through levelling up, like Random Battles / Missions are?

Edit: man is it satisfying when a full broadside from a St. Louis lands. These WW1-vintage ships have a special place in my nerd heart :3:

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 19, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Drone posted:

So I just got in. I'm not seeing any commander portrait for any of my ships though? Is this a feature that I need to unlock through levelling up, like Random Battles / Missions are?

Yeah, it takes until like lvl. 5 or something.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Replays!

Goon in a division with me earlier did not know that replays are now enabled (no option in the menu), so I figured I would put this here. It's quite easy to turn replays on.

Find the "preferences.xml" file in the directory that you installed WoWS. Back it up. Using any text editor (i.e. Notepad) open the (non-backup) file.

Find the lines that looks like this (this will be very close to the end of the file):

code:
	</scriptsPreferences>
	<consoleHistory />
Paste the following before those two lines:

code:
		<isReplayEnabled>true</isReplayEnabled>
		<ReplayCameraUpdate>30</ReplayCameraUpdate>
So now it should look like:

code:
		<isReplayEnabled>true</isReplayEnabled>
		<ReplayCameraUpdate>30</ReplayCameraUpdate>
	</scriptsPreferences>
	<consoleHistory />
Save the file.

Start the game.

Replays will automatically go to a 'replays' folder which the game will create if it doesn't already exist.

To watch replays, exit the game, find the replay in your replay folder, and double click - you'll need to now tell Windows to use WorldOfWarships.exe to open this file type.

The replay will launch and you can watch yourself sink all over again!

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

Hurr Durr muts saf gotam cety
Anyone got a key laying around that they want to give up?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Locator posted:

So chat in this game is just as hilarious as it was in WoT.

Just spent an entire game where one guy "SPACEDUDE71" did nothing but bitch about his useless team camping in the back and not doing anything. He was particularly critical of my uselessness as the last surviving battleship, for failing to somehow dodge the final torp salvo that killed me when a cruiser ran in on me close, while I was fighting all of the surviving enemy at once in my own cap circle. He was the very last guy to die, and was on the very bottom of the map with the carriers. Oh, and he was a huge contributor to the team!

:rolleyes:

I had this dude in a game as well, he was just as loving worthless there.

E: Boycott spacedude71, if you see him in game just shoot him if he is on your side.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I vaporized a destroyer in a game opening 19km shot. That almost changes my mind about battleships, even considering that it was purely luck.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I wonder if the American BBs will be more accurate than their Japanese counterparts, especially considering the mess of hamster wheels that the Japanese had going on for their fire control systems. The American ones were quite simply just better, even if their guns were not as big in caliber, they could hit poo poo at least.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

my god this thing is amazing, so many torpedoes.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hencoe posted:

my god this thing is amazing, so many torpedoes.

Umikaze truly is the chariot of the gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SERPUS posted:

I vaporized a destroyer in a game opening 19km shot. That almost changes my mind about battleships, even considering that it was purely luck.

My first game in my bone stock Fuso, first salvo on an enemy Fuso right at the edge of max range. 30k+ damage, 2 citadel hits, wrecked a turret, and some other crit. Good times. Easily the best salvo I've ever had.