Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Astro Nut posted:

Considering most things regarding the Vong, that is fair enough. I just think that's one of the ballsiest things they could have done, and I'm kinda surprised that it was on the table.

In a world where the canon wasn't going to get erased and Clone Wars was the only non movie to stay canon, I can totally see why they would throw a Vong into an episode. But as a back door to keeping the Vong in canon, we got very lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like the Vong (to an extent). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like the Vong (to an extent). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah in theory they almost work. Gotta give the expanded heroes something to fight now that the Empire is gone and they fit that role pretty well, but then you get the mountainous pile of retcons about how Palpatine did all the things he did just to prepare the galaxy for them and the whole story just feels tainted because of it

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah in theory they almost work. Gotta give the expanded heroes something to fight now that the Empire is gone and they fit that role pretty well, but then you get the mountainous pile of retcons about how Palpatine did all the things he did just to prepare the galaxy for them and the whole story just feels tainted because of it

Not to mention the various bits of back and off on whether the Vong were meant to be irredeemable asshats, sympathetic, void of the force or simply blind to it, etc, and the general shift in tone it created for the EU (though of course it had always shifted somewhat because that happens with these things).

Really, 'good on paper, less so in print' sums up a lot of ideas in this franchise.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If you get rid of the "JEEDAI!" bits, the angst, and the unnecessary "gotta write ADULT stories now" mindset, you could probably have done 4-6 pretty good novels with the concept. Jedi encountering beings they can't sense through the force is cool. Shaking up the status quo for the big three is cool. Dropping a moon on chewie, turning Han into an abusive alcoholic, and making your new antagonists one-note religious extremist tropes is not cool.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Season 2 Trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av8GjpGK98A

Loved everything about it except James Earl Jones's sadly-wavering Vader voice. :(

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 18, 2015

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Cross-Section posted:

Season 2 Trailer. Loved everything about it except James Earl Jones's sadly-wavering Vader voice. :(

Oh poo poo, seeing Vader piloting more is going to be neat.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That looks fantastic. At the beginning I was all "so what it's just going to be the same crew doing small sabotage poo poo again" but then the second half rolled around and I was owned, forever.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Let me put it this way, when I saw the starships, I got so hype.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
That looks more interesting than the trailer for episode 7, tbh.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oh wow, this looks like its gonna be good. I was surprised that they just threw Ohnaka and Rex right out there though. Then again thats certainly a way of building hype.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo! Can't wait.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

holy crap. that trailer was great. Rex and Ohnaka, maybe Ventress or Bariss Offee?

God drat is Dave Filoni a genius.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

HONDO!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I was hoping Rebels would stay it's own thing, but I guess the Clone Wars bits were inevitable. What are the essential episodes I should watch? I've seen the first two seasons (I think). I called it quits right after the Clint Eastwood knock-off bounty hunter showed up.

Edit: apparently I've only seen season one.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 18, 2015

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
Why can't I switch off the part of my mind that questions what A-Wings are doing before ANH? Quiet you, enjoy the B-Wing story.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was hoping Rebels would stay it's own thing, but I guess the Clone Wars bits were inevitable. What are the essential episodes I should watch? I've seen the first two seasons (I think). I called it quits right after the Clint Eastwood knock-off bounty hunter showed up.

Edit: apparently I've only seen season one.

Eh, you've already gotten a pretty decent intro to the characters they're bringing over, so a complete watch-through isn't totally necessary (note: I am a complete non-advocate for the "picking only the best" method of series binge). Still, it may help to watch the last few episodes of Season 5 to get some context for Ahsoka's character, though. Rex and Hondo more-or-less remain the same over the course of TCW.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

alg posted:

holy crap. that trailer was great. Rex and Ohnaka, maybe Ventress or Bariss Offee?

God drat is Dave Filoni a genius.

How loving boss would that be if the female inquisitor is Barriss Offee. Oh man. OH man. OH MAN.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If you freeze frame through the trailer like an obsessive :spergin:, you might catch a hint of green skin on the back of that female inquisitor's neck. :getin:

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Devol_Tettran posted:

Why can't I switch off the part of my mind that questions what A-Wings are doing before ANH? Quiet you, enjoy the B-Wing story.

Just tell yourself that whatever Wookieepedia says about A-Wings is now invalid, and has been for a while. Then, yell "Disney!!!" :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don't see why us getting A-Wings and B-Wings being awesome is a bad thing. The old canon is dead, and good riddance, for it was full of lovely things.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I'm pretty happy not to know what the Wookieepedia says about A-Wings (please don't tell me).

That trailer is awesome.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The most :black101: part of the trailer is that Rex & Co seem to be driving their walker straight at a (McQuarrie style! :swoon:) AT-AT so they can climb it's forelegs and fire their main cannon straight into the AT-AT's jugular. :black101:

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't see why us getting A-Wings and B-Wings being awesome is a bad thing.

It's not, anything with A-Wings is inherently good. They never seem to get enough love, they were always my favourite from the X-Wing series. B-Wings, while cool looking, were always a bit dumpy to fly.

meristem posted:

I'm pretty happy not to know what the Wookieepedia says about A-Wings (please don't tell me).

And I don't really care either. I always saw them as the analogue of the TIE Interceptor, appearing sometime between ESB and ROTJ, new and rare ships the Rebellion husbanded for the Endor attack. Wasn't there something stupid about Ackbar having a hand in the B-Wing or something too? At least we lose that.

Alternatively:

MildShow posted:

"Disney!!!" :argh:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I enjoyed Clone Wars but I'm sad to see so many returning characters. The universe is BIG. The original trilogy made the Universe feel big (even if there were a few rather glaring coincidences). The Prequels shrunk the universe down to the size of a bathtub. Clone Wars did a good job expanding it again and Rebels looked like it was doing the same . . .

But now we're back to everybody knowing everybody.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What are the essential Cline Wars episodes I should watch?
I put together an extensive guide exactly for people like you! areyoubadenough.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-essential-clone-wars-episodes.html

Trailer was crazy. Can't wait for this season!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Man, Rex got really old. :( There's no way he survives to the OT.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

kefkafloyd posted:

Man, Rex got really old. :( There's no way he survives to the OT.

Filoni's mentioned how the accelerated aging of the clones means that most were physically quite old by this point. Though, I'm betting he and Ahsoka will get killed off at differing points so as to give them dramatic closure, perhaps some cruel irony if its Vader who does them in, and to give the good guys some visible losses.

This trailer absolutely made me estatic, and really does seem to indicate that everything is stepping up.Interestingly, based on the implementation of the AT-ATs and the highlight of the B-Wing, I'd say we might see the development of some of the technology the OT had - maybe the reason A-Wings are being used as the Rebel standard is to dramatically introduce the X-Wing at some point.

Love that they're going to have more Inquisitors about, since it means any outright duels with Vader can be made more memorable - and really, the dude is using the force to try and cut Ezra with his own saber. Guess he's still fond of that move after Mustafar.

Also, I wonder if Sabine having new hair colours each season is gonna be a thing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is this the first time since RotJ that JEJ has portrayed Vader in anything other than a cameo appearance?

Also have they said anything about when this is premiering?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Hakkesshu posted:

Is this the first time since RotJ that JEJ has portrayed Vader in anything other than a cameo appearance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's a cameo

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
When does Season 2 start? I can't seem to find out anything anywhere.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Word out of Celebration is that we'll see an hour-long season premiere in the summer, with the rest of the episodes following in the fall.

edit: Speaking of the premiere, they screened it last night at SWCA; apparently, (light spoilers)Vader fucks everyone up. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 19, 2015

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Me watching that trailer: "What the hell? Why does that one old guy look just like those other two old gu....OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

In my defense, I never had any interest in watching Clone Wars. But now that Star Wars Mania is starting to build, I'll probably use that list that was posted in this thread to watch all of the watchable episodes over the course of the summer.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Just slam the series on Netflix. You will be glad you did.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Me watching that trailer: "What the hell? Why does that one old guy look just like those other two old gu....OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

In my defense, I never had any interest in watching Clone Wars. But now that Star Wars Mania is starting to build, I'll probably use that list that was posted in this thread to watch all of the watchable episodes over the course of the summer.

I watched Clone Wars on Netflix, mostly. When an episode started boring me too much, I went to the next episode saga. Seemed to work pretty well.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

OldSenileGuy posted:

There are only a handful of unwatchable episodes and you are warned pretty clearly by having the term "Jar Jar" in the episode description.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Devol_Tettran posted:

iirc the A-Wings we will be seeing are not the same A-Wings that appear in RotJ, like A-Wing X1's or something, and I am willing to put money on the B-Wing story being a "gently caress, we broke it but cool concept" type episode.

I want to see some Z-95s though at least as a warm up to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUVc8KN7PdM or a similar intro of the X-Wing :black101:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There were plenty of Z-95s in season 1 IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

There were definitely Z-95s in later Clone Wars episodes.

• Locked thread