Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Got the vote spoilt but it still annoyed me. I think I'm fine with anyone winning bar Mike or Will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I really never liked Mike, because of (murca and Jesus basically, also don't forget that he was the nobody is working hard whiner at the beginning) but I'm starting to doubt all my initial impressions, and think that Mike is actually turning out to be pretty savvy, and it doesn't hurt that basically everyone else is just on vacation. If there were ANY cool schemes going on, they would have put them on screen by now. My evil, dark, skeptical heart just thinks that everyone is just lolly gagging around right now because "I'm safe as long as Joe is here". Hopefully that changes the dynamic next week, but Jen really got on my nerves last night. If it turns out that it was a genuine strategy to stay under the radar, that's awesome.

But the distinction between giving up your immunity and taking a bullet by just stepping off stage and stopping any new vote, is nothing meaningful. It's only "I'm not a quitter ON PAPER", which is stupid. She'd have gotten just as much respect by saying, "i know I can't win at this point and I'm doing my best to keep my friend in the running, and that happens to be stopping this vote by stepping out."

If I knew I could not win, but the numbers were such that I could help a fun player, AND I felt like crap or whatever jen's problem is, the awesome move is to help someone else. But like I said, this is all moot if this is on purpose.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

If it was a strategy the confessionals would have said so

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

DoggPickle posted:

I really never liked Mike, because of (murca and Jesus basically, also don't forget that he was the nobody is working hard whiner at the beginning) but I'm starting to doubt all my initial impressions, and think that Mike is actually turning out to be pretty savvy, and it doesn't hurt that basically everyone else is just on vacation. If there were ANY cool schemes going on, they would have put them on screen by now. My evil, dark, skeptical heart just thinks that everyone is just lolly gagging around right now because "I'm safe as long as Joe is here". Hopefully that changes the dynamic next week, but Jen really got on my nerves last night. If it turns out that it was a genuine strategy to stay under the radar, that's awesome.

But the distinction between giving up your immunity and taking a bullet by just stepping off stage and stopping any new vote, is nothing meaningful. It's only "I'm not a quitter ON PAPER", which is stupid. She'd have gotten just as much respect by saying, "i know I can't win at this point and I'm doing my best to keep my friend in the running, and that happens to be stopping this vote by stepping out."

If I knew I could not win, but the numbers were such that I could help a fun player, AND I felt like crap or whatever jen's problem is, the awesome move is to help someone else. But like I said, this is all moot if this is on purpose.
The thing is, how does she know she can't win at this point? The jury so far is Kelly, Hali, and Joe. Jenn can get at least two of those three jury votes. All other potential jurors are still in the game, so even if they're long shots, she still has time to try to make friends and win them over. She also still could try to get to the end with beatable people like Dan or Shirin. So, is she just assuming she's going to be voted out? Well, with Joe gone now, I personally think the game is finally going to break wide open and that she could make it to the end. Just look at Shirin finding something to latch onto this episode.

Jenn's problem is she just doesn't want to bother. Part of it is defeatism, because admittedly her position isn't good. So she thinks, why bother? Another part of it is it being hard living out there sleeping in a crappy shelter and getting eaten by bugs and all that Survivor type of stuff. And a large part of it I think is she doesn't want to try to win any of these people over. She doesn't like them. She'd rather be on the jury with Hali.

And also, she likes to troll.

A few things can change her mind though. One is that people can start refusing to vote her out and she suddenly realizes she has a path to the end. The other, and we'll see if this is significant, but the other is Rodney. She was cracking up when he was making fun of Mike and Dan with his impressions and then we were shown her bringing that up again during tribal. So if suddenly she takes a liking to Rodney, you know, finds a new person in the game she likes in Rodney, maybe she'll stick it out.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Fast Luck posted:

The thing is, how does she know she can't win at this point? The jury so far is Kelly, Hali, and Joe. Jenn can get at least two of those three jury votes.

The jury is just Hali and Joe

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Fast Luck posted:

The thing is, how does she know she can't win at this point? The jury so far is Kelly, Hali, and Joe. Jenn can get at least two of those three jury votes. All other potential jurors are still in the game, so even if they're long shots, she still has time to try to make friends and win them over. She also still could try to get to the end with beatable people like Dan or Shirin. So, is she just assuming she's going to be voted out? Well, with Joe gone now, I personally think the game is finally going to break wide open and that she could make it to the end. Just look at Shirin finding something to latch onto this episode.

Jenn's problem is she just doesn't want to bother. Part of it is defeatism, because admittedly her position isn't good. So she thinks, why bother? Another part of it is it being hard living out there sleeping in a crappy shelter and getting eaten by bugs and all that Survivor type of stuff. And a large part of it I think is she doesn't want to try to win any of these people over. She doesn't like them. She'd rather be on the jury with Hali.

And also, she likes to troll.

A few things can change her mind though. One is that people can start refusing to vote her out and she suddenly realizes she has a path to the end. The other, and we'll see if this is significant, but the other is Rodney. She was cracking up when he was making fun of Mike and Dan with his impressions and then we were shown her bringing that up again during tribal. So if suddenly she takes a liking to Rodney, you know, finds a new person in the game she likes in Rodney, maybe she'll stick it out.

I think she feels like she can't win because she's going home next week. Between Mike's dislike of anything un-blue, Dan's general awfulness, and Rodney's outright fear of any girl who could possibly show him up in a challenge, she's doomed. Besides Jen, there isn't a single other girl with challenge potential. She kicks butt in challenges and is smart and witty, even if she's not playing ANY kind of make-friends game (which is disappointing). The blue collars collectively are terrible people, but since their outliers are do-nothing stupid lazy people, they have NO REASON at all, to stop voting as a block. It's sad that none of them are more interesting, but the fact is, they aren't. I feel like they're going to Pagong everyone else without a thought, and then realize too late "Oh crap I'm the 5/th in this ladder", because they are just plain stupid non-game players. Shirin is a weird wild card, because getting to the final will be nearly impossible, but if she manages it, she could win. The white collars have turned out to be incredibly boring people as well. I think if there was scheming going on ANYWHERE, they would have showed it by now, because nothing is happening.

Jen's SINGLE chance is that something weird happens in the next week or two, but even then, who would her allies be? If her general disdain for the game comes across as strongly to the game-lovers, Shirin and Caroline, as it does to the edit, then she's screwed anyways. And I don't think Joe would vote for her at this point, because even minus batshit crazy Ponderosa fueled irritation, he WANTED to be there and she DIDN'T, and he still got voted out.

If she's actually playing some long game to get on Rodney's good side, I could change my opinion, but as of now, I particularly dislike Jen because she was doing great until things didn't go her way (without any effort) and now she's being a cry-baby. Even though her apathy is downright funny, because she's a naturally funny person, I still hate quitters. Which she's managed to be without actually quitting. Boo.

As far as this post comes across negative, I still love survivor :dance: and anything can happen!

Synrax
Nov 19, 2005
Indeed
Next episode Jenn could break the majority alliance. Mike has to realize if they stay the course and vote Jenn, his true alliance will then be at even numbers with Rodney. If they continue the All Blue and Shirin goes after Jenn, Mike will be outnumbered.

Assuming the alliances are:
Mike / Dan / Sierra / Shirin
Rodney / Carolyn / Tyler / Will
Jenn wildcard

Synrax fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 18, 2015

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DoggPickle posted:

I think she feels like she can't win because she's going home next week. Between Mike's dislike of anything un-blue, Dan's general awfulness, and Rodney's outright fear of any girl who could possibly show him up in a challenge, she's doomed. Besides Jen, there isn't a single other girl with challenge potential.

Sierra and Carolyn. Admittedly the first hasn't had an amazing showing but she's in arguably the best shape of the girls remaining.

And I won't say Mike dislikes anything un-blue. Confessionals and post-game interviews make it seem like Mike was talking strategy with quite a few people, including Hali. Hence why the latter was so shocked at keeping ousted - she genuinely thought she had several alliances and one of them would save her.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
RIP Joe. The fake idol he made was GLORIOUS. Too bad he did not really have much time to use it better.

I wish Jenn would have more enthusiasm. You don't even get to go home if you get voted out. And other people might open up to you and become more fun once they're not blatantly gunning for your whole alliance.

I really want to see the big Mike Alliance implode because the non-tribal pagonging has gotten boring.

Also, Rodney's impression of Mike was fantastic. You just know when someone can do that good of an impression of someone that there's some resentment.

Man, the product placement this episode was harsh. All I can really think when they do an all-candy reward is that you'd probably feel sick after being hungry so long. I'd open up all the extra Snickers bars and eat the peanuts out of them. Yeah it tastes good but a reward of healthier, nutritious food is a huge advantage compared to tasting some M&Ms. Even if they do transport you back to your childhood with delicious taste that melts in your mouth, not in your hands.

Metropolis fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 18, 2015

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Can we please stop talking about pagonging, because you can't compare what happened in the last 3 episodes to the usual pagoning, especially since the first post-merge casualty was Kelly and it doesn't look like they will go after Shirin or Jenn next episode.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

ApplesandOranges posted:

Sierra and Carolyn. Admittedly the first hasn't had an amazing showing but she's in arguably the best shape of the girls remaining.

And I won't say Mike dislikes anything un-blue. Confessionals and post-game interviews make it seem like Mike was talking strategy with quite a few people, including Hali. Hence why the latter was so shocked at keeping ousted - she genuinely thought she had several alliances and one of them would save her.

Sierra is crazy awkward as a moving person doing any physical activity, like a teenager who just grew a foot taller overnight and can't figure out how all their parts work. :lol: I also don't get the impression that she's very smart. That could just be editing, but... I'm pretty sure there isn't a lot going on in her head.

I completely admit that I totally forgot about Caroline for a minute. She's a tough old gal, and has a good shot at the endurance challenges. That's totally on me. She needs to step up and do "something" soon though, because she's boring me personally. Hahaha

I don't think that Mike truly hates anything un-blue, but in the long run, I don't think he wants to take anyone else to the end, and that works out in his favor, since a lot of them are pretty goaty, and he can say he stuck with his alliance and never backstabbed anyone. I just don't see any reason for any of the others to jump ship either. They haven't before, and why mess with what's working when you have no target on your back. Maybe something will change now with the easy target Joe gone. We shall see!!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Metropolis posted:

Man, the product placement this episode was harsh. All I can really think when they do an all-candy reward is that you'd probably feel sick after being hungry so long. I'd open up all the extra Snickers bars and eat the peanuts out of them. Yeah it tastes good but a reward of healthier, nutritious food is a huge advantage compared to tasting some M&Ms. Even if they do transport you back to your childhood with delicious taste that melts in your mouth, not in your hands.

We haven't had product placement in awhile. I was wondering if Survivor was even able to get those sponsors anymore.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

Can we please stop talking about pagonging, because you can't compare what happened in the last 3 episodes to the usual pagoning, especially since the first post-merge casualty was Kelly and it doesn't look like they will go after Shirin or Jenn next episode.

That's what makes Jen's crybaby-itis so amazing. It's not like she's the last surviving member of some massive six person alliance that's been picked off for weeks. She was ready to throw in the towel literally the day after her first alliance member was voted out.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Met posted:

We haven't had product placement in awhile. I was wondering if Survivor was even able to get those sponsors anymore.

Yeah, it's historically been pretty blatant, but it's been calming down lately. On the other hand, I'd be a lot happier as a survivor if they managed to pull Pizza Hut or Popeyes versus some giant tubs of chocolate. I barely eat sweets in everyday life... If I had a craving on the island it would be like... Bacon, or cheese, or a spiral ham or some chicken wings. All that candy just looked like a barf festival in the making. :barf:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The first reward challenge you get candy.

The second reward challenge you get triple ply toilet paper.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

DoggPickle posted:

I think she feels like she can't win because she's going home next week. Between Mike's dislike of anything un-blue, Dan's general awfulness, and Rodney's outright fear of any girl who could possibly show him up in a challenge, she's doomed. Besides Jen, there isn't a single other girl with challenge potential. She kicks butt in challenges and is smart and witty, even if she's not playing ANY kind of make-friends game (which is disappointing). The blue collars collectively are terrible people, but since their outliers are do-nothing stupid lazy people, they have NO REASON at all, to stop voting as a block. It's sad that none of them are more interesting, but the fact is, they aren't. I feel like they're going to Pagong everyone else without a thought, and then realize too late "Oh crap I'm the 5/th in this ladder", because they are just plain stupid non-game players. Shirin is a weird wild card, because getting to the final will be nearly impossible, but if she manages it, she could win. The white collars have turned out to be incredibly boring people as well. I think if there was scheming going on ANYWHERE, they would have showed it by now, because nothing is happening.

Jen's SINGLE chance is that something weird happens in the next week or two, but even then, who would her allies be? If her general disdain for the game comes across as strongly to the game-lovers, Shirin and Caroline, as it does to the edit, then she's screwed anyways. And I don't think Joe would vote for her at this point, because even minus batshit crazy Ponderosa fueled irritation, he WANTED to be there and she DIDN'T, and he still got voted out.

If she's actually playing some long game to get on Rodney's good side, I could change my opinion, but as of now, I particularly dislike Jen because she was doing great until things didn't go her way (without any effort) and now she's being a cry-baby. Even though her apathy is downright funny, because she's a naturally funny person, I still hate quitters. Which she's managed to be without actually quitting. Boo.

As far as this post comes across negative, I still love survivor :dance: and anything can happen!

You're totally misreading what's going on. Mike would have to be ten times as dumb as he's so far been edited to seem in order to ignore the threat of Rodney. Rodney is planning on making an f7 play. But he won't have the numbers until then, and the whole thing falls apart if Mike cottons to it, as he seems to have this last episode. And since the episode set up a Shirin/Mike alliance, what we might see next time is Mike pulling in Shirin and Jenn in order to destroy Rodney's alliance before they can destroy his. It is no longer in Mike's best interest to hold together the whole giant alliance, and he knows it. Dan/Mike/Sierra holds, still, but Rodney's got his own thing going on, and Mike knows it. It's hard to hide poo poo like that when living in close proximity with other people for weeks. He sees Rodney being close with Carolyn and Will, what's he supposed to think?
Jenn's going to survive at least the next two votes, exactly because she has no constituency. This stage in the game, people are all thinking about "threats", and Jenn is no longer perceived as a threat, despite her strong challenge performances and clutch idol play. Because of her attitude. It might not have been deliberate, but it just might save her game. And she might be able to play it off as partially deliberate at FTC. Although I'm not sure she'll get as far as FTC, but I think she'll outlast Rodney's entire alliance.
Also, didn't you pick up that Jenn was self-aware about the whole situation, and really thought Joe deserved to be in the game more than her? I understand that, and at the same time understand why she didn't quit. Most of her was sick and tired of living with people she hated all the time, but she couldn't bring herself to give up completely. Her desire to end her game was as much about keeping Joe in and loving with all the people she hated as about leaving the game and reuniting with her buddy Hali. Speaking of, losing Hali must have been extremely devastating for her. They were together since the beginning of the game, and being that close and being each other's rock, when Hali went out, Jenn no longer had that emotional and social support. Jenn puts off an air of being tough and independent, but I think she needs people more than she cares to admit. Losing Hali for her was almost a knockout punch.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Gulliver's Travels was the worst instance ever because basically isolating people from media for 20 days before showing it to them was the only way anyone ever was going to give a positive review of that film and even then they only managed to get one glowing review.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
that was bad but it's still a step above 'jack and jill'

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Fun episode. A reward challenge designed to hurt people both during and after the fact, ninja arts and crafts, and, hell, another character finally spoke with Mike's voice.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Parity warning posted:

another character finally spoke with Mike's voice.

:bravo:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Is there a joke I'm missing?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

blue squares posted:

Is there a joke I'm missing?

Breaking Bad reference.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Has there been anything in the show to indicate that Mike even thinks Rodney is "against" him?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

xcore posted:

Has there been anything in the show to indicate that Mike even thinks Rodney is "against" him?

They had a little argument shown on screen prior to the tribe swap. Otherwise they haven't shown anything about Mike or Rodney knowing the othrother was plotting against them.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The preview for next week looks promising.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

xcore posted:

Shirin called out Rodney's alliance to Mike.

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all
Jeff Probst reveals the twist for this season: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/17/survivor-exclusive-jeff-probst-reveals-big-new-twist

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Should we read that? Is it a very minor spoiler or a BIG DEAL?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DoggPickle posted:

Should we read that? Is it a very minor spoiler or a BIG DEAL?

It's just revealing what the new power is, and how they'll be giving it out.

It's exactly what you probably think it is. You can click.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
:smug:

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Okay, I'm not sad I read it. It's a THING, but the myriad possibilities for that THING make the spoiler more thought-provoking than SPOILERY-YUCKY. IMHO.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I hope it breaks the game open.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I remember you Hot Dog Day! Did you add the # part?

In actual thread related content = I wish this EXTRA had happened last week.

There comes a point where the amount of randomized bullpuckies overwhelms the reasonable desire to see these people become fluid during unexpected changes. I do not like when they cross that point. You could be the best player ever, have a major alliance, some smaller ones, and be generally liked, and then Jeff whips out this Buff bag, and you're stuck with all horrible people from the other team and you have absolutely no chance in hell of making any deal that will save you. That stuff is not fair. Not fair = not fun. But that's just my personal opinion, and a total tangent to the "secret" this year. I just got riled up, because I liked Joe, and his BEST EVER fake idol.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I hope it breaks the game open.

well he said it pays off in a big way, so clearly it makes something significant happen.

i'm wary about the idea, but it's better than the tyler perry idol. i do know i'd feel kinda cheated if i got voted out cause someone had that power though.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

DoggPickle posted:

I just got riled up, because I liked Joe, and his BEST EVER fake idol.

Not quite. :)

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
It's prolly just my laptop settings so that it doesn't die in 20 minutes, but that gif is so incredibly dark that it makes me feel like an idiot, because I can barely tell who the people are. That's most likely my bad :downs:

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Piell posted:

Shirin called out Rodney's alliance to Mike.

This also prompted a confessional with Mike where he mentioned it being obvious that there was an alliance within his alliance, being that they all live in such close quarters and see who everybody interacts with.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It's a gif of Randy from Gabon playing a fake idol that Bob made. Bob's fake idol was very well made, and it tricked Randy hard. Randy, who was already a misanthrope, actually got some sympathy for the way the others at tc reacted toward him.

I like to think that the way seasons 15, 16, and 17 devolved into very devious game playing caused coach to try and play "honorably." You had some really lovely people in those seasons.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's a gif of Randy from Gabon playing a fake idol that Bob made. Bob's fake idol was very well made, and it tricked Randy hard. Randy, who was already a misanthrope, actually got some sympathy for the way the others at tc reacted toward him.

It didn't trick Randy hard, he had a pretty good idea it was fake. That 'shocked' look on his face came from earlier in the tribal in response to something unrelated. Welcome to Survivor editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I like to think that the way seasons 15, 16, and 17 devolved into very devious game playing caused coach to try and play "honorably." You had some really lovely people in those seasons.

It's a cycle for sure. Will people respect my cunning and smart double-dealing in the end?, or will they act like total brat bitches at the final vote? (I'm still REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY against Ponderosa and the bitter party it perpetuates) It also depends a lot on how many players have actually been watching for the last couple years, and how many of them are just hot baristas from SoCal that have neer seen Survivor in their lives.

• Locked thread