Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I can't tell you you're wrong because it's completely subjective, but I can say that my visual processing and pattern recognition centers completely disagree with yours. Especially the Leviathan fits in so well visually with the Imperial knight/titan aesthetic, it's ridiculous(ly awesome).

How can someone be so wrong. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

ijyt posted:

How can someone be so wrong. :psyduck:

But it is you, who is wrong.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Controversial opinion here:

I think both the Knight and Leviathan models are pretty cool and good.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Moola posted:

no im saying youve always been able to buy D&D and play using IMAGINATION and character sheets

You do so by handwaving all the rules that require miniatures.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Personally I like the Knight model more, though it is a matter of taste. I'm thinking of picking one up for Skitarii.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I haven't seen the FW ones in person but I prefer the standard Knight to the FW ones AND the Leviathan ones. Again, though, I really wish its legs were poseable.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

and?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

I haven't seen the FW ones in person but I prefer the standard Knight to the FW ones AND the Leviathan ones. Again, though, I really wish its legs were poseable.

Posable legs forced me to put my Riptide on a flying stand.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I agree that I'm not a fan of the Leviathan. It's mostly because it doesn't fit the aesthetic though.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I like the Leviathan well enough, my problem is that neither the 15mm nor the 28mm version is the right height to be a count-as Knight. 15mm one is 4.6" tall, and the 28mm is 8.5" tall. An Imperial Knight is 6", and for comparison's sake a Warhound Titan is 10.5". They're kind of stuck in an awkward in-between for both type of models you'd ideally like to use them as count-as models for--it's either too tall or too short.

If you want some bargain-level count-as Knight though, there's the Mars Attack Robot which is 7" tall and goes for $40. Put some crazy-rear end looking mechanicum dude in the clear dome, model it a little low, and you're pretty much set.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alternatively, get yourself a crab, put it on stilts and call it a day :v:

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I like to head down to the beach when it's crab molting season and look around for good specimens. You want the shell to be as intact as possible, of course. You'll get used to the rotting seafood smell faster than you'd think.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I ran the numbers this morning for what it takes to bring down T8 GMC with 3+5++ and 6 wounds. This doesn't factor FNP rolls and assumes BS5:
  • 9 thudd guns, or x37 S8 AP5 shots
  • 16 lascanons, or x16 S9 AP2 shots
  • 14 rapid firing plasma guns, or x27 S7 AP2 shots
  • 19 autocannons, or x38 S7 AP4 shots
  • 4 sicaran tanks, or x28 S7 AP4 shots with rend
  • 4.5 kheres mortis dreads, or x56 S6 AP5 shots with rending

About the only tricks I can think to make the numbers better are to ally in a Magos Malagra for monster hunter or to wound it with a rad missile to bring down the toughness. For the cost, melee is probably a better option. A lancer might work, but it could get popped on the way in and it costs more.

Before, sniper filled this niche, but it doesn't work on GMCs.

:bravo:

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 18, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The Leviathan looks okay but doesn't fit the 40k aesthetic as well as the Knight.

Tabletop games that don't use miniatures are for turbonerds.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

I ran the numbers this morning for what it takes to bring down T8 GMC with 3+5++ and 6 wounds. This doesn't factor FNP rolls and assumes BS5:

About the only tricks I can think to make the numbers better are to ally in a Magos Malagra for monster hunter or to wound it with a rad missile to bring down the toughness. For the cost, melee is probably a better option. A lancer might work, but it could get popped on the way in and it costs more.

Or don't play 30k in the 40k universe, bitch.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

SRM posted:

The Leviathan looks okay but doesn't fit the 40k aesthetic as well as the Knight.

I spent Wednesday night playing DnD.. well, drinking beer and making knob gags while rolling a D20 every so often.
Everyone was laughing most of the time, and all had a good evening.

What we didn't do - spend 100+ hours painting jewel like objects of wonder in preparation, and sweep half of them off the table on turn 1.

It's a different game, but social DnD is Fun.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Stanyer89 posted:

Or don't play 30k in the 40k universe, bitch.

brb starting my new eldar army

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

brb starting my new eldar army

Me too! I know there is some fluff where the eldar dig Mephiston out of a pile of rubble, fluffy as gently caress!

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Razor Jacksuit posted:

I think they're both pretty boring as far as big mecha designs go.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

PeterWeller posted:

Sorry to everyone else, since this is massively off topic, but 4th ed dnd was the most miniature focused version put out by WotC and even then it never said it required miniatures in the rule books, it just kind of assumed you were using them. 3rd, 3.5 and the new 5th ed have 0 rules regarding miniatures.

ed:

SRM posted:

Can confirm, is true.

ZachAttack fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 18, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SRM posted:

:agreed:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
LoL at 'hams calling anyone else a word related to nerd as an insult.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ZachAttack posted:

Sorry to everyone else, since this is massively off topic, but 4th ed dnd was the most miniature focused version put out by WotC and even then it never said it required miniatures in the rule books, it just kind of assumed you were using them. 3rd, 3.5 and the new 5th ed have 0 rules regarding miniatures.

ed:

Can confirm, is true.

Requiring miniatures is a bit of a stretch. It requires some sort of marker. A lot of the derivative systems get rid of grid-based gameplay entirely (13A, for example.)

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Playing a game where the miniature can be a piece of change or a gummi bear and have nobody dispute that it's a valid representation of a character is very different than a game that requires miniatures.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

osirisisdead posted:

LoL at 'hams calling anyone else a word related to nerd as an insult.

lookit this loving nerd

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Stanyer89 posted:

Me too! I know there is some fluff where the eldar dig Mephiston out of a pile of rubble, fluffy as gently caress!

How many WKs are you going to run? I'm thinking 3, but I might proxy in a 4th (Perturabo couts as WK, whenever the model comes out, lol)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I made a video review on the latest Eldar codex

its a little baised but I think I covered most of the points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPAPmtTi8lc

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
c'tan have strength d, no?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Moola posted:

its a little baised but I think I covered most of the points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPAPmtTi8lc

Moola, you are the Dark Gods' gift to these threads.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

BULBASAUR posted:

Is it possible to tarpit these things? I'm struggling to think of a solution.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It's kind of a crap game too if you're houseruling it out of the box.

ZachAttack posted:

This is a shameful pack of lies.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

It's kind of a crap game too if you're houseruling it out of the box.

better than 40k m8

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Moola posted:

Majestic.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Sulecrist posted:

GCs can Stomp :shepface:

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

c'tan have strength d, no?

C'tan Shards have a 17% chance to have a Strength D shot each turn. This is determined after they choose their target.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
u ready for the D????

Sulecrist posted:

Most primarchs won't have a problem, but its comical to think you'll use one against a 300 point generic eldar robot. As a speedbump breachers would work ok, just as they do against knights- defensive grenades, 5++, re-roll saves against templates, and everyone has melta bombs.

Melee Instant death weapons are probably the best way to go, since they cause D3 wounds to GMCs. A Malagra Magos Prime with Paragon Blades and combat augment array is probably the only guaranteed way to take it down in melee. A Praetor with a similar setup might work ok. The main problem is that you'll never catch it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
is it gay if the D weapons touch?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

quote:

The only way to get a message through to the big GW that this is completely unacceptable way to make a codex is to throw up a gak storm. The biggest way to do that? Well show them we won't even play with them. I know I intend to. Many of my players in my local FLGS intend to. Though I need to convince them to ban them from tournaments all together. The more the Eldar players complain and bitch about us complaining and bitching about their so obviously broken and favoritism codex the faster we can wrap this up. It's going to get messy before the end though. These half measures and trying to be "reasonable" with GW and even a certain subset of Eldar players is clearly not working. So it's time to kick things up a notch.

Can I at least get people who will agree to no games with them?

If there are any Eldar players out there with any remorse or guilt for the entire health of the game and 40k scene I implore you to do one of two things. Cheese the ever loving gak out of your codex and get yourself loathed and banned. Or don't play at all. Thanks.

As always the bigger we make this the quicker we'll get an answer.

Thanks. Remember cause mayhem. This Eldar Codex can't be allowed to stand.

I Gamgee swear to throw up a gak storm and use any method possible to get GW attention.

Edit
Since I started this thread and including myself there are four people who will no longer play against Eldar players. All it takes is a little team work. I'll continue to update this.
If I missed your name send me a PM or let me know in the thread and I'll add it.

Operation Members:
Gamgee
Orock
Torga_DW
Rippy

Oh brother...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Gak?

• Locked thread