Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Jay O posted:

Escaflowne was a very special show for its time. Coincidentally, I just did a big podcast about it for ANN, as part of our "one ANNCast a month discussing a show in-depth" thing we're doin now, so if you want to learn more bits and bobs about Escaflowne or hear it discussed in detail, there you go!

Past in-depth on individual anime ANNCasts were Steins;Gate, Haibane Renmei, Earth Maiden Arjuna, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, CLANNAD, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, if you want to check out any of those. It's always me, Zac Bertschy, and one special guest, different each time.
I've really been enjoying these so far, and I'm kind of tempted to track down "Arjuna" for as batshit as it sounds. Also you made me very happy for never getting more than an episode and a half into "Steins Gate" before giving up on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

As I recall, the Escaflowne dub was straight on home video, and the "Fox dub" was just a cut up version of that?

I mean I wasn't enough of a masochist to watch the drat thing - unlike something like, say, a 4Kids show, they ran the dub on Fox well after I could already buy it uncut and subtitled so I already owned and watched it before they hacked it. I mean, it sucked if you wanted to watch it for free, but eh.

Even "Cardcaptors" was largely a problem with choices made by the WB in taking an otherwise pretty straight dub with some silly name changes and deciding to hack it up to change the main character. I did pick up the recent BluRay of the whole series but I haven't watched it yet to check if it's still the Nelvana dub (probably just because I doubt NISA had the money to dub a full 72 episode series a second time.)

...and again, the subtitled version was easily available and since I don't like to watch foreign media dubbed anyway... it didn't bother me as much.

Now, Sailor Moon... ah, well, I might know more than is humanly safe about that franchise, but I was a 90s kid. But it really was a terrible hack job of a dub and legions worse than the Fox Kids Escaflowne or Cardcaptors, because the only way to get ahold of a non-hosed up version was to know someone who could mail you fansubs on VHS tapes. And about half of the second season was never fansubbed at all, so good luck with that.

You kids are so drat spoiled now, with your Crunchyrolls and your BitTorrents and your Netflixes. I'm actually old enough to remember when Escaflowne was making the fansub trader rounds and what a big deal it was when Bandai started its localization company and you could only get Escaflowne subbed and through the mail.

JO is right, it's such an easy time to be an anime fan now :bahgawd:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Netflix's selection is slowly getting pretty awesome. Both FMA, Erureka Seven, , All three ARISE films (those any good?), Death Note etc.

Youtube has both Ghost in the Shell series on in full too in dub format uploaded by Funimation.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Jay O posted:

Oh, absolutely. Even if you're explicitly talking about the Fox Kids version (Escaflowne was released uncut on home video and most people are familiar with that version because the Fox cut flopped,) it's not nearly as bad as what they did to One Piece, Tokyo Mew Mew, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors or several other forgotten kids' properties. Escaflowne got off relatively easy. I think One Piece is the worst, though.

The edits in the 4Kids One Piece dub were truly bizzare. There was changing rifles into squirt guns, changing a pistol into some kind of hammer contraption, and, I poo poo you not, changing one villain's weapon from foot long iron spikes into "poison suction cup darts". Then there was changing all of the alcohol into juice, all of Sanji's cigarettes into lollipops (which seems quaint in comparison to everything else) and editing out Smoker's cigars entirely, which was quite a feat considering he was always smoking two or three at a time. The edits just made him look like he had jaw problems and couldn't close his mouth all the way.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

All stuff related to Patlabor was released on blu-ray, so I'm a happy camper. Took me a while to search down the DVD boxsets for the series but the original OVA series and the anime OVA stuff was previously unavailable so them out on blu-ray is pretty exciting.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jay O posted:

Seems like as good a time as any to post that Spring Anime Season post I said I was gonna make!

So, I've said time and time again that this is actually a really great time to be into anime, not only because everything is legal streaming, but because for the past couple years, it seemed like each new season was packed with so many germs o' quality for such a wide variance of audiences. There's a great wealth of new lovely things for all sorts every three months.

For the first time in a long time, this season was kind of a stinker. There was a lot of sucky poo poo this time around and fewer nuggets. Normally, I'd give you a top five, but I can't in good conscience even give you a top five this time, only a top four quality things I would recommend, and maybe some honorable mentions with caveats below those. I stand behind the top four, though! Just used to a lot more selection, especially in Spring. Used to be that Spring and Fall were the plum seasons compared to Winter and Summer, but that has really changed now to where this Winter was almost overstuffed with quality and this Spring erm...tumbleweeds.

Regardless! The links in this top four go to my reviews/writeups for the show, but all these shows are legally available streaming from either Funimation or Crunchyroll. I'll be reviewing the #1 entry all season long for daily streaming, so that link just goes to my review, but the others link to the multiple-reviewer pages for preview guide, so the one I wrote on any given page is marked "Hope Chapman." You can read everyone's impressions of All The Spring Things here, though! Lots of folks with lots of different reactions and takes. :)

1. Blood Blockade Battlefront (action/sci fi dramedy from the creator of Trigun, superbly well-directed and researched, lovable cast, just look at this loving credit song, <3)
2. MY love STORY!! (romantic comedy, great heartwarming premise, extremely lovable characters, based on an award-winning manga)
3. Plastic Memories (sci fi melodrama, from the writer of Steins;Gate, terrific animation and color palette, promising if mushy premise)
4. The Heroic Legend of Arslan (re-adaptation of the HOOGE HIT fantasy novels by the Legend of the Galactic Heroes guy, but re-imagined with character designs by Hiromu Arakawa, the creator of Fullmetal Alchemist, good fix for your SRS BZNS low fantasy needs)

Quality sequels to good things that may interest you if you dun saw the first thing: Fate/stay Night Unlimited Blade Works is back for its second half, My Teenage Romcom SNAFU is not my bag personally but its fans swear by it and it got a much higher-budget second season, Uta no Prince-sama has a new lower-budget season by contrast if you like shameless beefcake parades, and The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan is a cute romcom-y Haruhi Suzumiya spinoff that I honestly kinda enjoyed provided you're down with "sweeter and kinder TMOHS universe."

So there you go! It's not a good season overall so you could very well check out something from the now wrapped-up Winter, or stuff from 2014 or 2013 etc. that's lyin' around on Crunchyroll, Netflix, Hulu, etc., but I'll stand by those top four at least!

Oh, absolutely. Even if you're explicitly talking about the Fox Kids version (Escaflowne was released uncut on home video and most people are familiar with that version because the Fox cut flopped,) it's not nearly as bad as what they did to One Piece, Tokyo Mew Mew, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors or several other forgotten kids' properties. Escaflowne got off relatively easy. I think One Piece is the worst, though.

Sound! Euphonium seems like a decent fifth for the top five. It's a fun, low-key dramedy about a group of girls entering a high-school band, with Kyoto Animation's usual stellar production values and a certain deliberate, directed energy underneath all the fluff that their works often lack.

Also, Asuka is the best.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

OldTennisCourt posted:

Netflix's selection is slowly getting pretty awesome. Both FMA, Erureka Seven, , All three ARISE films (those any good?), Death Note etc.

Did Netflix ever start putting up subs? I have to admit to never watching anime on there because I don't like dubs (except Cowboy Bebop, I'm not a MONSTER and Steve Blum is basically a god.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rebochan posted:

Did Netflix ever start putting up subs? I have to admit to never watching anime on there because I don't like dubs (except Cowboy Bebop, I'm not a MONSTER and Steve Blum is basically a god.)

Is Bebop on Netflix?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rebochan posted:

You need to watch more dubs. Good dubs include Baccano!!, Full Metal Alchemist, Panty and Stocking, Ghost in the Shell, all the Ghibli dubs done by Disney, Space Dandy, I'm sure there's more though I mostly read manga and only really watch stuff I find interesting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've heard a couple of decent dubs. The show I'm watching right now (8th MS Team) is kind of meh, though. The supporting VAs are pretty great, but the two leads are both really miscast. I get that they're supposed to be really young, but the dialogue is just poorly delivered. And I'm still really confused over how the gently caress their relationship is supposed to progress. They cooperate to survive in space, and then the next time they meet they're having a hot spring bath on Mount Everest and suddenly they hate each other by the end of the episode.

I feel like I missed something between episodes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You need to watch more dubs. Good dubs include Baccano!!, Full Metal Alchemist, Panty and Stocking, Ghost in the Shell, all the Ghibli dubs done by Disney, Space Dandy, I'm sure there's more though I mostly read manga and only really watch stuff I find interesting.
Soul Eater has an underrated dub too also Hellsing Ultimate's dub is glorious

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Alacron posted:

and editing out Smoker's cigars entirely, which was quite a feat considering he was always smoking two or three at a time. The edits just made him look like he had jaw problems and couldn't close his mouth all the way.

I'll admit that I kinda like the idea of him breathing out smoke on his own because of his power.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Best dub is either Gundam Wing or Big O.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
Way back when the 4kids release was coming out, a freind told me that they had renamed Smoker "Dan Dan The Burrito Man" and that he always had a couple of burritos in his mouth and his power was farts.

I still wish this was true.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sorry as much as I love Scott McNeil's manly gravel voice, it does not fit well with a 13 year old kid.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sorry as much as I love Scott McNeil's manly gravel voice, it does not fit well with a 13 year old kid.

Wing is best dub for being amazingly terrible. Big O is best dub for being actually really good.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Krampus Grewcock posted:

Way back when the 4kids release was coming out, a freind told me that they had renamed Smoker "Dan Dan The Burrito Man" and that he always had a couple of burritos in his mouth and his power was farts.

I still wish this was true.

Now I do too.

Everyone talks about the edits when they bring up the 4Kids One Piece, and they are galling, but what gives it the crown in the bad localization kingdom for me is just the overall presentation. The bafflingly terrible/hilarious rap opener. Sanji's inexplicable, awful voice. Most of the localized """""jokes""""". It really is an abomination that seems to have been produced under the assumption that kids are both extremely stupid and deserve media that seems to actively detest them.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 18, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do many anime series record dialogue before animating, like the roundtable audio sessions for american shows? I can only think of Akira and that one Ghibli film (where the lady goes to visit family in the country) where the lips match the voice. I wonder how much of an impact that would make on the quality of dub work.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do many anime series record dialogue before animating, like the roundtable audio sessions for american shows? I can only think of Akira and that one Ghibli film (where the lady goes to visit family in the country) where the lips match the voice. I wonder how much of an impact that would make on the quality of dub work.

Animation happens before dialogue pretty much 100% of the time, even in the movies that have the budget to actually animate mouths properly they'd still do all the animation first then have the VA's match as best they can, typically over many, many takes.

Here's some voice acting for one of the One Piece movies if you wanna see how they do it. You'll notice they're actually watching a mostly complete movie while doing their voices.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Arcsquad12 posted:

99% of the time in anime, the animation is done first and the actors record to it. Of course, with anime on the tight deadlines that it's usually produced under, sometimes the actors are recording to sketches and keyframes, or even just storyboards and animatics, instead of finished animation. If the voice actors can record to finished animation, then that's what they want, but yeah, anime just evolved with that being the norm, whereas American cartoons evolved under the assumption that actors record first and matching exact lip movement was important. With anime, lip movement just wasn't considered to be important most of the time, unless they're drawing attention to someone's expression specifically, they just rely on "flaps." (Mouth flapping in a rhythm.) That said, they do indeed record round-table style with everyone in the room, here's an example of how that typically goes down, you can see people approach the mic or back away as it becomes their turn to speak, and then when the scene changes, different actors enter or leave the room. It's fun to watch!

There are exceptions, but it's not common. Akira might be one? I think Akira is one. I know for sure the largely forgotten TV series Red Garden was entirely recorded beforehand, like a radio drama. (Ghibli films are not. Even when it "matches the mouth movements," that's just more detailed animation to the script, the actors are recording that dialogue afterward.) If actors want to do something weird, or animators hear the VA's read and want to change the animation of the mouth to be more exact to what was recorded, they do, but MOST of the animation is finished, and the actors are always recording to picture rather than the other way around.

(e;f,b)

Jay O fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 18, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That seems like a really backwards way of doing things, though I suppose that's coming from me growing up on the Simpsons, which practically invented the roundtable audio session and made it the norm over here. For a show type that often focuses heavily on dialogue, I find it rather baffling to make something as important as voiceovers come second and not the other way around.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Arcsquad12 posted:

That seems like a really backwards way of doing things, though I suppose that's coming from me growing up on the Simpsons, which practically invented the roundtable audio session and made it the norm over here.

Different preoccupations, different processes. American television cartoons have a history of being more episodic and purely comedic in nature, often starring comedic actors, so the emphasis is on letting them freestyle a performance and animating to that. Japanese television cartoons have a more drama-based and serialized history, so the focus was more on mise-en-scene (anime has always relied much heavier on mise-en-scene due to its more limited budget compared to American animation,) and animator expression. Voice actors are still like minor celebrities in Japan (whereas in America they're far less than that,) but anime as a medium is more animator and director-focused in production. Just different strokes. Also, taking the "matching lip movement" preoccupation out of the equation really frees up the animation's reliance on a performer to work. I honestly prefer generic "flap" animation to generic "a e i o u" mouth-matching animation, if it doesn't add anything. (As in say, Family Guy or similar cartoons.) If the mouth-shape matching is really important, there should be character animation in the face overall, and if there's not, it just looks like excess effort with little reward to me.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 18, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jay O posted:

Different preoccupations, different processes. American television cartoons have a history of being more episodic and purely comedic in nature, often starring comedic actors, so the emphasis is on letting them freestyle a performance and animating to that. Japanese television cartoons have a more drama-based and serialized history, so the focus was more on mise-en-scene (anime has always relied much heavier on mise-en-scene due to its more limited budget compared to American animation,) and animator expression. Voice actors are still like minor celebrities in Japan (whereas in America they're far less than that,) but anime as a medium is more animator and director-focused in production. Just different strokes. Also, taking the "matching lip movement" preoccupation out of the equation really frees up the animation's reliance on a performer to work. I honestly prefer generic "flap" animation to generic "a e i o u" mouth-matching animation, if it doesn't add anything. (As in say, Family Guy or similar cartoons.) If the mouth-shape matching is really important, there should be character animation in the face overall, and if there's not, it just looks like excess effort with little reward to me.

That attitude is slowly changing, too, like the average TV watcher is more likely than not to know Seth MacFarlane is the guy who voices Peter, and while that's not true for all voice actors there has been a shift by dubbing companies like Funimation towards getting their names out there. Steve Blum, Yuri Lowenthal and Troy Baker are all names that at the very least, the average forum poster here would recognize.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That attitude is slowly changing, too, like the average TV watcher is more likely than not to know Seth MacFarlane is the guy who voices Peter, and while that's not true for all voice actors there has been a shift by dubbing companies like Funimation towards getting their names out there. Steve Blum, Yuri Lowenthal and Troy Baker are all names that at the very least, the average forum poster here would recognize.

I get what you're saying, but that's still not the level of national celebrity I'm talking about. Many Japanese voice actors release albums, hock product, go on talk shows, model for magazines, etc. Not all of them, but many, and that's the ideal for young folks going into the business. There are schools and college majors specifically for voice acting, like not even "acting," voice acting, and it's insanely competitive. Completely apples and oranges with how it works in America.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I recall that Kana Ueda mentioned at this year's Sakuracon, that the studio ufotable has the actors voice the lines and then they do all the art and animation. Another small exception

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OldTennisCourt posted:

Youtube has both Ghost in the Shell series on in full too in dub format uploaded by Funimation.

The Arise OVA's are a new continuity, but yes they're good.

Jay O posted:

Regardless! The links in this top four go to my reviews/writeups for the show, but all these shows are legally available streaming from either Funimation or Crunchyroll. I'll be reviewing the #1 entry all season long for daily streaming, so that link just goes to my review, but the others link to the multiple-reviewer pages for preview guide, so the one I wrote on any given page is marked "Hope Chapman." You can read everyone's impressions of All The Spring Things here, though! Lots of folks with lots of different reactions and takes. :)

1. Blood Blockade Battlefront (action/sci fi dramedy from the creator of Trigun, superbly well-directed and researched, lovable cast, just look at this loving credit song, <3)

That loving credit song will stay with you for days :allears:. It's just a shame the opening theme's pretty generic, because the rest of the soundtrack is fantastically jazzy. It also really needs a good two-cour run (26 episodes) instead of the mere 13 it's getting, but at the very least it'll probably hit most of the "big" stories from the manga thus far.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jay O posted:

I get what you're saying, but that's still not the level of national celebrity I'm talking about. Many Japanese voice actors release albums, hock product, go on talk shows, model for magazines, etc. Not all of them, but many, and that's the ideal for young folks going into the business. There are schools and college majors specifically for voice acting, like not even "acting," voice acting, and it's insanely competitive. Completely apples and oranges with how it works in America.
Yeah the only example of this in the US is Troy Baker, but that's cheating how he was always a musician before he got into voice acting. Highly recommend his album though, great stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MonsieurChoc posted:

The guy in the first one sounds uncannily like Takahata101's voice for Nappa in DBZ Abriged. :stare:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jay O posted:

Well, part of the reason it's that way is the actual pay rates for voice acting in Japan are pretty abysmal (and completely union dictated.) The smart VAs find other ways to make money without taking on a second real job because that's extremely frowned upon culturally. Also, most of what they do is completely marketed at teens more than adults since anime's purely seen as a kid/teen thing to the majority. The whole thing is kind of comparable to Hollywood in that 90% of the people trying to enter it fail, but at the same time it's not AS good for those who get ahead either.

We also need to remember that audio/radio dramas are still extremely popular over there as well as theater and those productions will put more emphasis on the actors involved than videogames or cartoons.

EDIT: \/ JYB will always be the black power ranger to me

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 18, 2015

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah the only example of this in the US is Troy Baker, but that's cheating how he was always a musician before he got into voice acting. Highly recommend his album though, great stuff.

Johnny Yong Bosch as well, but he was a musician before VA too.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Ditto for Vic Mignogna.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dragonatrix posted:

Johnny Yong Bosch as well, but he was a musician before VA too.

Johnny Yong Bosch was one of the original Power Rangers (or one of the first substitute/promoted Rangers) too, wasn't he?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Johnny Yong Bosch was one of the original Power Rangers (or one of the first substitute/promoted Rangers) too, wasn't he?

He was the second Black Mighty Morphin taking the place of the original Black Ranger.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Wheat Loaf posted:

Close enough, considering that he was still in the early part of the early run of Power Rangers where they would (mostly) keep the cast between seasons, or would at least have carry-over.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Phelous's acapella version of Hulk Hogan's theme song is pretty great.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Good Bad Flicks is now part of The Escapist. Given all the drama that's been kicked up by Escapist recently I hope this goes well for him.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

OrangeKing posted:

If I could pick a One Hit Wonder subject, I'd want Todd to do Harvey Danger. Is anything other than "Flagpole Sitta" worth listening to? Do they even exist outside of this song?

Harvey Danger released an entire album, "Little by Little", free via bittorrent in 2005. They did it explicitly as a "gently caress you" to the music industry that was demonizing the Internet and suing fans. It has 100k+ downloads, had a physical printing, and a song ported to Rock Band. I remember when they made that announcement-- it was before Radiohead did their "pay what you can" album.

The album itself is pretty good (I love Moral Centralia), and is still available for free on the band's site: http://www.harveydanger.com/downloads/ (they have a donation link to help pay for bandwidth).

The band broke up in 2009.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

... and someone else mentioned Rusted Root. For me, that's "aka: The soundtrack to Twister" (which also includes one of the top 5 end title tracks ever!)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Good Bad Flicks is now part of The Escapist. Given all the drama that's been kicked up by Escapist recently I hope this goes well for him.

Working for The Escapist is like working for Fox News. I can't imagine this is a good career choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

lornekates posted:

... and someone else mentioned Rusted Root. For me, that's "aka: The soundtrack to Twister" (which also includes one of the top 5 end title tracks ever!)
You didn't actually click on the link, did ya?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belly_(band)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belly_(rapper)

• Locked thread