Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Stairmaster posted:

Coincidentally plasma rifles also make short work of regular t-800s, and hunter-killers in general.

Also the t-1000 was killed by being submerged in continously heated molten metal it survived that truck exploding just fine.

Truck fuel can't melt mimetic alloy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Davros1 posted:

I just wish John Connor didn't look like a Colm Meaney knock-off

Jason Clarke is quite possibly one of the worst choices that could have been cast as Connor.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

This has always been the true Future War John Connor to me, so everyone that has been cast as him since T3 has looked like a baby face with bad makeup on.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
This whole timeline kerfuffle has really done a number on ol' john.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This has always been the true Future War John Connor to me, so everyone that has been cast as him since T3 has looked like a baby face with bad makeup on.

This dude's my favorite. I'd die in battle for this guy.

I watched Terminator Salvation last night and it really wasn't as bad as I remember it being. They never gave us the full-out lasers and tanks future war we've always been yearning for (but they did get in a nice skull-crush) but there's a lot of guerrilla style combat. They sets really reminded me of Fallout, in a good way, with everything devastated but little human touches here and there. And the rubber faced terminators are really loving eerie.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Basebf555 posted:

No, he's not really that much of a draw but its weird that they seem to be going out of their way to hide his specific role, while they aren't being shy at all about showing us what happens to Connor. I feel like the Connor thing would be the twist they'd want to protect, but they are spoiling that all over the place.

Yeah that's what I really don't get. They are going through some major pains to hide who Matt Smith is playing, and if he was going to be another terminator you'd think they'd just let that out of the bag too, or at least show him in the trailer.

But outside the promo pics, we've seen nothing of Matt Smith. And frankly if the rumors are true and he is Skynet on a T-5000, it's not really that big a deal. We've seen Skynet portrayed before and I can't imagine Skynet's appearance would be a big twist in comparison to John Connor being turned into a Terminator and going back in time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Smith is signed to be in all three of the new trilogy as the role you just said.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Speaking of bad makeup:

How is that possible?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

IDK

How's it possible that these two clips of the "Future War" look way better and cooler than the poo poo we see in the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtfw6iP4Sw0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN8rkRjVuTM

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Kush posted:

Speaking of bad makeup:

How is that possible?

Grilling accident

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Shadoer posted:

IDK

How's it possible that these two clips of the "Future War" look way better and cooler than the poo poo we see in the trailer.

That skull crushing sound is just AMAZING to this day.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Kush posted:

Speaking of bad makeup:

How is that possible?

I accidentally sent my brother face first through a plate glass door when we were little. He has a scar running down the entire left side of his face and texture-wise, the artists doing the makeup in T2 nailed it. I have no clue wtf the Genesys artists were looking at. It looks like the wound kits you get at Spirit Halloween.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shadoer posted:

Three words: James loving Cameron.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Shadoer posted:

IDK

As cool as those scenes are, I just noticed that there were an awful lot of piles of heads laying around in the future.

The future war scenes from the first one were great as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-OHEb6V2Lw
The miniature work is a more noticeable but like the Thing I give it a pass for the quality of it, as well as how well it's continued to hold up even 30 years later.

And while I'm watching Terminator videos on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GmLfivKQL8
I still want to see this movie. The real movie may have been completely forgettable, but the trailer was awesome.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 17, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

It is just some sort of super bullshit that we have all these new terminator movies and still no real future war movies, except terminator 4 which takes place in an empty desert and features no war

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 17, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Zzulu posted:

It is just some sort of super bullshit that we have all these new terminator movies and still no real future war movies, except terminator 4 which takes place in an empty desert and features no war

It's way easier to make 3 minute scenes of that awesome than to make a 90 minute movie of that.

One of the things that gives the future war scenes in T1 and T2 their strength is their lack of dialogue, but you can't really make a 90 minute movie with sufficient budget to do that.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Kush posted:

Speaking of bad makeup:

How is that possible?

That's the worst fake scar I've ever seen and I used to go to cut-rate lion king cosplay parties.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zombie Boat posted:

That's the worst fake scar I've ever seen and I used to go to cut-rate lion king cosplay parties.

Uh... :stare:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Panzeh posted:

It's way easier to make 3 minute scenes of that awesome than to make a 90 minute movie of that.

One of the things that gives the future war scenes in T1 and T2 their strength is their lack of dialogue, but you can't really make a 90 minute movie with sufficient budget to do that.

If James Cameron didn't waste all that money on Avatar we might have had our future war. At this point though I think he has lost his touch as Avatar was a boring as heck of a movie not helped by the awful casting while spending too much time researching furries.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

oohhboy posted:

If James Cameron didn't waste all that money on Avatar we might have had our future war. At this point though I think he has lost his touch as Avatar was a boring as heck of a movie not helped by the awful casting while spending too much time researching furries.

Masturbating over cat people is actually less shameful than masturbating over robot warfare.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Zombie Boat posted:

computer parts posted:

Masturbating over cat people is actually less shameful than masturbating over robot warfare.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Decided to watch the first film since I hadn't seen it in almost 10 years. poo poo man, this movie still holds up. There's more awesome stuff packed into the first 20 minutes than most modern action films. And even the stuff between is riveting. Those future war sequences! They're so...gnarly.

Also, that loving fake out at the end. Brilliant. AMAZING. The movie's like, "Yay they did it! PSYKE, there's 20 minutes of TERROR left!"

gently caress you Cameron, you were supposed to do Battle Angel, not Dances With Blue Man Group :argh:

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

oohhboy posted:

Someday I, too, hope to waste my money with a $250 million movie that makes 10x that in profit. I also hope to "lose my touch" in such a way as to write/direct the highest grossing film of all time. Again. I mean financials aren't the be all end all but his movies are also lovingly made, technically flawless, visually groundbreaking, etc. The dude is at the top of his game, and that game hasn't changed much since T1. He makes a pretty specific kind of movie, and plays it to the hilt every time. What exactly did you expect?

If you want to see cool stuff explode endlessly, why not watch a videogame cutscene? Future war is cool as a creepy background detail. As the main setting it's essentially incoherent - WWII style pitched infantry battles? Against merciless machines with air support and megatanks? Humans insta-lose in any vaguely realistic portrayal. Or it turns in to a zombie movie, mostly running and hiding and desperate last stands. Even actual war movies aren't mostly battle scenes. What is the model for your future war Terminator movie?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I still think spoiling that twist in the trailer is retarded, but here's an idea:

What if it's not John Connor, and it just looks like him and this "spoiler" is one big fake-out? I mean yeah we've got stuff in the trailer with Sarah and Kyle saying "we gotta fix John!!!" But what if they didn't stop to ask if it's really him?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I still think spoiling that twist in the trailer is retarded, but here's an idea:

What if it's not John Connor, and it just looks like him and this "spoiler" is one big fake-out? I mean yeah we've got stuff in the trailer with Sarah and Kyle saying "we gotta fix John!!!" But what if they didn't stop to ask if it's really him?

The leaks say it's definitely him though. And they've been spot on about everything else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Milky Moor posted:

The leaks say it's definitely him though. And they've been spot on about everything else.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trailer showed things in a very misleading order, though.

My only problem with it so far is that the T-1000 is probably going to be chumped to show how dangerous the new terminator is, and that's a disappointment after the ridiculous amount of work stopping one in T2 was.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Milky Moor posted:

Well it was worth a shot I guess. :shobon:

It would have been an interesting twist-within-a-twist if they'd done it.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Someday I, too, hope to waste my money with a $250 million movie that makes 10x that in profit. I also hope to "lose my touch" in such a way as to write/direct the highest grossing film of all time. Again. I mean financials aren't the be all end all but his movies are also lovingly made, technically flawless, visually groundbreaking, etc. The dude is at the top of his game, and that game hasn't changed much since T1. He makes a pretty specific kind of movie, and plays it to the hilt every time. What exactly did you expect?

If you want to see cool stuff explode endlessly, why not watch a videogame cutscene? Future war is cool as a creepy background detail. As the main setting it's essentially incoherent - WWII style pitched infantry battles? Against merciless machines with air support and megatanks? Humans insta-lose in any vaguely realistic portrayal. Or it turns in to a zombie movie, mostly running and hiding and desperate last stands. Even actual war movies aren't mostly battle scenes. What is the model for your future war Terminator movie?

There wasn't an emotional core to it, nothing to care about, it wasn't helped by the hamfisted attempts at emotional manipulation via big eyes and cats. He pulled his own version of Bay replacing explosions with blue, green screens and giant trees which is happening near 100% of the movie. Casting Sam Worthington should be a crime.

Future war can and was shown to work. T1 showed a more realistic tactical scenario with people living in crazy bad conditions while T2 showed what would happen if a pitch battle developed. There are questions to be answered like how did Skynet fall? How have humans adapted against the machines and vis versa? What are the new social norms? Why did they rally around Conner? Who is he? More myth than man?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Turns out the leader of the Resistance is Jon Conner and his mom was Sara without an 'H'.

It never matter how many Terminators got sent back to kill Sarah and John Connor, they were always going to get the wrong ones.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

oohhboy posted:

There wasn't an emotional core to it, nothing to care about

Of course there was. That's partly why the movie was incredibly successful.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

oohhboy posted:

There wasn't an emotional core to it, nothing to care about, it wasn't helped by the hamfisted attempts at emotional manipulation via big eyes and cats. He pulled his own version of Bay replacing explosions with blue, green screens and giant trees which is happening near 100% of the movie. Casting Sam Worthington should be a crime.

Lol, they made the aliens sympathetic looking. What should they have done instead? Every single element of a film is "emotional manipulation," they're constructed piece by piece to produce specific reactions. Why does this one design choice make you so butthurt? Are you also grumpy when a movie's leads are good looking? They're manipulating you!

I'm sorry you hate nature? The setting is an unspoiled forest planet, for pretty obvious thematic reasons. The big tree was kinda on the nose, but it was cool looking and its destruction was appropriately uncomfortable to watch. It worked. It wasn't a stroke of genius but it worked.

Sam Worthington doesn't have much charisma, but at worst he's bland. Some of that is down to looks - he's like the exactly average ideal male. He's totally believable as a salt of the earth Good Brave Dude who doesn't really have anything else going for or against him. I don't love him either, but he's not bad.

oohhboy posted:

Future war can and was shown to work. T1 showed a more realistic tactical scenario with people living in crazy bad conditions while T2 showed what would happen if a pitch battle developed. There are questions to be answered like how did Skynet fall? How have humans adapted against the machines and vis versa? What are the new social norms? Why did they rally around Conner? Who is he? More myth than man?

Ummm there's like ten minutes of future war scenes in T1 and T2 combined. They're used exactly the right way - cut in to give you a sense of foreboding and dread when the characters aren't in immediate danger, and a neat way to raise the stakes by showing exactly what happens if the protagonists fail. That's their whole purpose. A two minute scene being an effective jolt doesn't mean it can work as a 2 hour movie.

The questions you think need to be answered, except the first one, are all explicitly answered in T4. I could totally see those exact questions (plus a few others) being the driving force behind making that movie. If you're unsatisfied with that film's treatment of these questions, maybe that gives you a hint that they're not particularly interesting to begin with. Or maybe they're best left as just questions, never answered. I think that's why T4's trailer is so enticing. Then you find out everything and it's like ...oh.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

computer parts posted:

Get a load of this loser.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Kush posted:

Speaking of bad makeup:

How is that possible?

maybe someone mistook that noggin for a potato and tried to peel it

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress Avatar, this is a Terminator thread.

T4 was a bad movie which had also committed the crime of Sam Worthington. I like Bale, but he was hopelessly miscast and misdirected, he also should never get into a helicopter. It couldn't decide who was the lead. Terrible writing doesn't mean the questions are unanswerable or bad, it means bad writing. Shouting is not an answer and that doesn't make someone a leader. There was no lead up, no character development, Conner just is, almost like he popped out of thin air. There are some throw away lines about what he might have done and the Sarah tapes. The only good thing in that movie was the opening which the rest of the movie then ruined.

I guess future war is hard because skulls are expensive or something.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I don't like how none of the people in this movie look like the role they're supposed to have. The most grizzled and combat-like character seems to be Schwarzenegger and for god's sakes, he's almost 70. I'm no movie buff but don't you kinda wanna have your actors "look the part" so to speak? Sarah Connor looks like ditzy girlfriend #3.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Milky Moor posted:

Jason Clarke is quite possibly one of the worst choices that could have been cast as Connor.
I will admit though that this...

DOES kinda look more like what Edward Furlong might've grown up to be than this...

does.

But that said, yeah, THIS will always be THE go-to "Future War John Connor".

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

oohhboy posted:

There was no lead up, no character development, Conner just is, almost like he popped out of thin air. There are some throw away lines about what he might have done and the Sarah tapes. The only good thing in that movie was the opening which the rest of the movie then ruined.

I guess future war is hard because skulls are expensive or something.

:confused: Did you forget T2 and T3? His character is pretty extensively developed by now - he's a reluctant messiah. He doesn't quite believe in his heroic future self, but this skepticism and determination to find a different way is what keeps him alive as everyone above him in the hierarchy dies. Do you really need to see him stepping out of the bunker after Judgement Day and finding a gun? Rallying survivors because he knew what was/is coming and was more psychologically prepared for guerrilla warfare in a blasted land? Accepting the leadership of the remaining military, as a local commander? It's not like there are big holes in the continuity, where he suddenly becomes something unexpected. Everything they don't show in T4 is easily deducible from T2 and especially T3.

It seems like what you wanted to see was a bunch more big battle sequences. Here's the thing - that's not Terminator. Terminator is 2-4 people on desperate missions where secrecy and stealth are the best strategy, punctuated by action scenes that are mostly the heroes running away and barely escaping. Winning in Terminator is just staying alive. The allure of the decisive strike, the fantasy of "taking the fight to them" - the films reject these ideas over and over. A movie about the tactics/logistics/strategy/decisive moments of a successful or succeeding future war against the machines is thematically and stylistically anti-Terminator.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 19, 2015

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Well "The Sarah Conner Chronicles" did a pretty good job doing portions of episodes set in the "Future War" and it showed that longer narratives in the future war were more than possible. The problem with T4 is that it ignored everything that was established about the future war in all 3 movies and the tv series

Basically

A) T1 had Kyle saying the resistance only ventured forth at night because the HK's had a tougher time finding and destroying them then. That's why all the shots of the Future War are set at night

B) T4 had them going out in the daytime all the loving time.

A) T1, T2, and T3 featured Skynet robots that made logical sense. The HK's seemed pretty aero dynamic but not like anything humans fly currently, same with the Ogre tank, and the Terminator infantry being sent out even makes sense as Skynet's just sending out whatever it has to try and stem the resistance advance. All the models used by Skynet in the Future War seem like things a logical machine would use.

B) T4's robots made no loving sense. Terminator motorbikes? The Harvester giant robot thing? Really? About the only machine created for T4 that made sense were the Hydro-Terminators.

A) T1-T3 showed the main weapon used in the future was an awesome plasma cannon lazer thing. It also made sense that it would be used as guns have zero effect on the Terminators and the machines. All it does is slow them down.

B) T4 virtually everyone just uses regular guns. Apparently they are effective somehow.

A) T2 and T3 showed that John Conner isn't really a warrior, he's a thinker. The guy sucks in a fight, but the point is that he's suppose to be a friggen genius. In T2 he does things like hack an ATM and so on. Even in the future war flashbacks he's shown commanding the Resistance, not being a commando.

B) T4 has John Conner do things like single handedly infiltrate Skynet City, alone. Then he get's into a fist fight with a T-800. Yeah...

A)T1 and T2 showed that Skynet had insurmountable resources at it's disposal. Humanity basically was eeking out a crappy existence in various bunkers or in ruins subway stations. They managed to win through guerilla tactics and avoiding Skynet's hammer as it played "Whack a mole" with them. Eventually they broke through and shut down Skynet, hence victory.

B) Wow the resistance is just spoiled in T4. They have functional aircraft, a submarine, food, actually territory they control and feel somewhat safe in, and even hope.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I honestly think everything after T2 forgot a key part of T1 - that the Resistance had won the war in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There is absolutely nothing that makes logical sense in the future war scenes. Fuckin skeletons walking around.

They're dream sequences.

• Locked thread