Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

The new Final Fantasy mobile game has sprite versions of the non-sprite Final Fantasy characters.

Sazh's sprite looks fairly normal unless you look really closely at it.

That small patch of yellow in his hair?

Baby Chocobo.

That's :3

Jehde posted:

Probably been mentioned before, but in GTA V the characters tend to go through dialogue when you're driving to a mission or whatever. If you crash, it will cut off the dialogue, but once you've got your bearings it picks right up from the same sentence that was cut off. No missed dialogue, no unnecessary redundancy.

I was incredibly grateful at how good the game was at that, especially after so much experience with games doing "hey let's have this NPC speak really softly it's not like anything else will be going on".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mycot posted:

That's :3

I was incredibly grateful at how good the game was at that, especially after so much experience with games doing "hey let's have this NPC speak really softly it's not like anything else will be going on".

I also like how whoever is talking is doing so in a way that matches what they're doing or what they're riding in. Just like RDR, they practically yell while you're driving. I know this isn't dynamic, but it beats sounding just like they're in a studio.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
GTA V also has something that a lot of other games should; a dialogue boost option. If you want to play without subtitles, you can at least make all the talking during missions louder than whatever firefights might be going on.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

Do any of the Tales games have a likeable cast? I'm burning through Hearts R when my 3DS battery dies after several hours of delays at the airport (NOT THAT I'M BITTER OR ANYTHING) and good god it's like they tried to make the worst characters possible. The other ones I've played are Symphonia and Xillia and they're both pretty similar although not to the level of Hearts R.

Actually, I take that back, the main characters Kor, Hisui and Kohaku are unbearably bad as is that dumb painter girl, but the old man and the wandering merchant lady who are clearly fed up with their poo poo are okay I guess.

The battle system is great, though.

I think Tales of Vesperia has a likeable cast, if only for Yuri (the main protagonist) and his companion Repede, who is a dog that fights using daggers and always carries a pipe in his mouth :3:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, you'd be hardpressed to find a cast that can top Star Ocean 4's cast in terribleness. They even commit genocide to add the finishing touch to the poo poo sundae of creepy anime poo poo.

The one little thing that was good about SO4 was that the protagonist actually gives a poo poo and spends time being really broken up over it and wondering if there wasn't another solution he failed to see.

Of course everyone else is just like "So we killed a billion people, so what?"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
The one little thing that was good about SO4 is that it wasn't SO3.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

homewrecker posted:

I think Tales of Vesperia has a likeable cast, if only for Yuri (the main protagonist) and his companion Repede, who is a dog that fights using daggers and always carries a pipe in his mouth :3:

Yuri is a great protagonist in a game that gets kind of weak the further you go along. The protagonist in the Tales games tends to be idealistic, with the rival characters tending towards a more pragmatic sort. In Tales of Vesperia, the protagonist takes that role instead. For instance, when a corrupt justice system lets a real nasty piece of work go free because of his money and connections, Yuri just straight up murders him.

The best character is still Repede, of course. Repede's loving awesome.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The one little thing that was good about SO4 is that it wasn't SO3.

I feel like I'm the only who really liked Star Ocean 3. Yeah the MMO story was beyond stupid but the combo battle system was tons of fun and it had a couple cool characters. Star Ocean 4 was unforgivable garbage with zero redeeming qualities though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slime posted:

Yuri is a great protagonist in a game that gets kind of weak the further you go along. The protagonist in the Tales games tends to be idealistic, with the rival characters tending towards a more pragmatic sort. In Tales of Vesperia, the protagonist takes that role instead. For instance, when a corrupt justice system lets a real nasty piece of work go free because of his money and connections, Yuri just straight up murders him.

The best character is still Repede, of course. Repede's loving awesome.

I loved Vesperia exactly for the reason you spoiled, it was something never expected in a JRPG.

Only bad part of Vesperia's cast is Rita.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

Only bad part of Vesperia's cast is Rita Estelle

Fixed that for you. Rita's great despite starting out as rather annoying.

And Estelle's only real crime is being kind of bland with some plot hints that don't seem to go anywhere.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Fixed that for you. Rita's great despite starting out as rather annoying.

And Estelle's only real crime is being kind of bland with some plot hints that don't seem to go anywhere.

Estelle earns a solid gold medal for being a female protagonist in a JRPG with no romantic tendencies toward the lead. They're just good buddies, and good buddies they stay.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

homewrecker posted:

Two good characters does not make a full cast, sadly.

Alteisen posted:

I loved Vesperia exactly for the reason you spoiled, it was something never expected in a JRPG.

Only bad part of Vesperia's cast is Rita. Karol on 360, Patty on PS3.

Vesperia was pretty good though. Judith's spear sidequest included.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I thought the battle system of SO4 was fine and fun, especially when playing as the main bow girl; pity about the garbage characters and plot.

SO3 is irredeemable, boring trash through and through.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Glad I never played past the ps1 star ocean then!

behind us?!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Something I like about GTA 5 is just how much work they put into Michael responding to the player loving with his family as Franklin or Trevor. Pretty much anything you can do to the rest of Michael's family will get a response from him either via a text or a phone call (or he'll just yell at you if you're hanging out). There is the one everyone knows about where you shoot at his home (STOP FIRING ROCKETS AT MY HOUSE!), but he also calls and tells you you're a dick if you steal his daughter's unique car, texts you to stop creeping around if you hang out in his house when he's not there, and so on. It's great and a bit weird because there's really nothing like that for the other two!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Persona Q: At the end of battles, Junpei may randomly shout, "LET'S HAVE A VICTORY YELL!" It amuses me more than it should.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

CJacobs posted:

Something I like about GTA 5 is just how much work they put into Michael responding to the player loving with his family as Franklin or Trevor. Pretty much anything you can do to the rest of Michael's family will get a response from him either via a text or a phone call (or he'll just yell at you if you're hanging out). There is the one everyone knows about where you shoot at his home (STOP FIRING ROCKETS AT MY HOUSE!), but he also calls and tells you you're a dick if you steal his daughter's unique car, texts you to stop creeping around if you hang out in his house when he's not there, and so on. It's great and a bit weird because there's really nothing like that for the other two!

In the same vein, I liked how loving with the other 2 outside of missions elicited unique dialogue and if you force say Trevor and Franklin to interact before they officially meet in the story the non player character will get justifiably creeped out by the stalker and after a couple warnings will punch you the gently caress out.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

When you finish hanging out with any of the characters they just don't disappear into the air so you can keep following them around. They get increasingly weirded out and annoyed until they finally turn around and 1-hit KO you.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

My favorite thing about Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin is that my really angry roommate is in the next room getting rocked by it and is yelling at the top of his lungs and me and my bros are laughing at him here in the living room

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Johnny Aztec posted:

behind us?!
Crawd has advanced forward

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Aztec posted:

behind us?!

That's somewhere around 80 points.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

My favorite thing about Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin is that my really angry roommate is in the next room getting rocked by it and is yelling at the top of his lungs and me and my bros are laughing at him here in the living room

he's probablty going to kill you all.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Most of the time when you kill a boss in Bloodborne, they explode and blood rains down everywhere. That's neat by itself. It gets better. Many of the bosses give PSN trophies when you beat them. Dunno if it's all PS4 games or just this one, but when you get a trophy, it automatically takes a screenshot. So you end up with a lot of pictures of bad guys exploding, and it can be very satisfying to see the ones that gave you the most grief.

But my best auto screenshot is one you get for finding a type of item for the first time. I grabbed my first one running away from a big fast enemy and so the screenshot is my guy just booking it away. It's all motion blurry and stuff too.

Also there's a couple where it's a loading screen (think you can get more like that with a mutual kill) and one for fully upgrading a weapon that is quite likely to be a great big stat screen.

Oh, actually, mutual kills themselves. I think if you and the boss died together in other games in the series, you had to beat them again. It counts as a victory in this one, which is great. I did it my first time against the last boss, and I had to hoof it back to see the ending. It was silly.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

Go in there and tell him to "git gud"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

littleorv posted:

Go in there and tell him to "git gud"

Do this, and also remind him that Dark Souls as a series is the definition of perfection, and to find a fault with Dark Souls is to admit a fault in yourself for having terrible taste.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Earlier we were "coaching" him (I got him to run off a ledge, other roommate led him into a trap room full of enemies) but he made us get out, I'm afraid he'll attack me if I gently caress with him now

dude threw my controller after I beat his rear end at MKX though, so he's basically dead to me at this point

e: favorite thing about MKX is Shinnok's baby t-rex arms in his necromancer variation

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Bloodborne is pretty sweet, it's nice that it gives you a bit more direction than Dark Souls, and the weapons are creative, but the best part is the blood on your character. Your weapons get covered, and so do you, but if for instance you're using a weapon with a sheath on your back, and change, the spot where the sheath was is clean. Same thing with clothes.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Johnny Aztec posted:

behind us?!

TEAAAAR INTA PIECES!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Playing GTA V through for the first time and aside from being amazing overall I absolutely loved it when Michael accused Trevor of being a hipster. They did a great job with that conversation and the way it leads up to that point that I couldn't help but laugh like an idiot when it finally came out.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

m2pt5 posted:

TEAAAAR INTA PIECES!
Explosion Pills! Explosion Pills! Secret Secret Secret Medicine.

Ah, man. Such a bad game in retrospect, but a lot of good memories from back in the day anyway.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Croccers posted:

When you finish hanging out with any of the characters they just don't disappear into the air so you can keep following them around. They get increasingly weirded out and annoyed until they finally turn around and 1-hit KO you.

I ran into Franklin while just driving around as Micheal, and they had a full conversation about the previous mission. Its kind of amazing how much thought they put into GTA5 with things like that.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

RillAkBea posted:

Playing GTA V through for the first time and aside from being amazing overall I absolutely loved it when Michael accused Trevor of being a hipster. They did a great job with that conversation and the way it leads up to that point that I couldn't help but laugh like an idiot when it finally came out.

The best part is I was dressing and grooming him that way before that scene came up so it was completely accurate.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

theshim posted:

Explosion Pills! Explosion Pills! Secret Secret Secret Medicine.

Ah, man. Such a bad game in retrospect, but a lot of good memories from back in the day anyway.

I'm gonna turn you into a beehive.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

codenameFANGIO posted:

The best part is I was dressing and grooming him that way before that scene came up so it was completely accurate.

It's funny how many people naturally gravitated towards a hipster look for him.

Trevor was just a fun character.

obsolete absolution
Oct 9, 2007
forgiveness is meaningless
It doesn't matter how I dress Trevor, given enough time he strips down to nothing but a pair of tighty whities. That might be my favorite little thing about GTAV.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Just played a bit of Resident Evil: Revelations 2, and I gotta say, I'm really enjoying the coop in this game. It feels a lot more like actual coop, and not just doubling of assets, since the coop partner has a fairly different set of skills than the first player.

In the first mission, for example, one plays Claire Redfield and the other plays her friend. Claire can use guns, stab guys, and knock down stunned enemies. Her friend, however, doesn't get access to guns - instead, she gets a flashlight and crowbar. But with the flashlight, she can find hidden items and stun enemies (so that Claire can knock them down), and with her crowbar she's limited to melee attacks, but they do a substantial amount of damage. In addition, when an enemy is knocked down by Claire, the coop partner can use a punishing attack on it that does a huge amount of damage. Plus she can open locked crates.

It really is a great fusion of complimentary abilities that I wish was present in more coop games, it feels a lot more fun to play when it's not just two people with guns instead of one.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

I ran into Franklin while just driving around as Micheal, and they had a full conversation about the previous mission. Its kind of amazing how much thought they put into GTA5 with things like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Ki6Gx2Pgk

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
In persona 4, a book called A Great Man is released on Hitler's birthday.

In persona 4 golden, that book is renamed to The Lovely Man.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

My Lovely Horse posted:

At the very least, the radio stations in GTA III and Vice City were single long audio files. Matter of fact, straight up MP3s in the PC versions - for VC you could simply change the file extension and you were good to go.

In San Andreas they switched to a modular system that enabled them to change things up a bit. There were a few audio extractors that could read the new format and extract the files. One of them had quite the explanation on how the whole thing worked at his website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Holy poo poo, this is the GTA-est thing I have ever seen.