Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

rabidsquid posted:

Without context this is quite good.

Homeless? Sorry to hear that, bad beats.

"Will work 4 Stokes."

"Like, you need only one?"

"No, a whole playset."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I haven't seen this NPR article shared yet. It's so weird to hear about this from a totally uninvolved perspective.

"The Ugin"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Veyrall posted:

I haven't seen this NPR article shared yet. It's so weird to hear about this from a totally uninvolved perspective.

"The Ugin"

NPR Blog. Call it what it is.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Veyrall posted:

"The Ugin"

FRF was a really good time for that story, honestly. Imagine the same reactions if they'd gone to a pre-release for, say, DGM...

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Veyrall posted:

"The Ugin"

It's too bad the article is so... poorly written. I feel like there's a lot of really interesting stuff you could take away from what Magic has done, but the constraints of the time they had for the article (and how they're trying to frame it as something it kind of never was) make it come off feeling really wildly inaccurate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Top 4ed gameday with Abzan Control and played against that stupid hexproof Silumgar 5 out of 6 rounds and in top 4. I hate that card.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's too bad the article is so... poorly written. I feel like there's a lot of really interesting stuff you could take away from what Magic has done, but the constraints of the time they had for the article (and how they're trying to frame it as something it kind of never was) make it come off feeling really wildly inaccurate.

Its actually a cut down version of http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2015/03/11/392381112/episode-609-the-curse-of-the-black-lotus, but trigger warning for Zac Hill's voice.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Took second at gameday with esper dragons, now watching the cfb video of top 8 dragons of tarkir cards post pro tour and number one is silumgars scorn. Vindication!

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Meh, casual appeal isn't usually $30 good.

As long as they're moving cards why would they drop the price when it's already seeing some standard play and is going to be in standard for another year and a half?

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Went 3-1-1 at Game Day, tied last game to stick in Top 8, then went to the finals and lost for the playmat against G/R Dragons. This promo Regent is very shiny.

I have now lost twice to the same guy with G/R Dragons, the judge/tourney organizer. Once he starts popping out Thunderbreak Regents it is very tricky for me to keep up. Need to figure out the right sideboard plan with Gruul Deck Wins for that I think.

Dohaeris fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 19, 2015

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Made top 8 in both of my lgs' Game day tourneys and traded the promos for $40 in store credit.

Im running Shaheen Soorani's Esper list, and I feel like the card advantage angle isn't as great as i'd like. I'm stuck on 5 or 6 lands a lot, and get torn between scrying lands on top to be able to do more things per turn or scrying removal on top because it keeps me from falling even farther behind.

I still have a lot to learn

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Went 3-1 at Game Day and took 1st after the cut running Shota's UB Dragon Control list except running 4 main deck bile blights, 1 less ultimate price (I apparently only had 2), and thoughtseizes in the side instead of main because half my store is running RDW.

At modern last night almost went 3-1 with Boros Burn, with my only loss being the mirror where I lost the die roll. Beat Splinter Twin after he mulled to 4 on game 3. I would have had it in 2 but I misplayed and tapped out to cast an Eidolon on turn 3 when he already had 3 lands out.

Edit: Lots of people get confused when the control deck puts a morph out though. It usually ate a lightning strike or stoke though which was what they were going to counter anyways. I did bring it in against an older UB Control deck which won me the game. Cost the guy 2 kill spells each to remove both of them.

Obsoletely Fabulous fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 19, 2015

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Jeskai tokens went well at gameday until I got absolutely and rapidly crushed in the semifinals by a Mardu dragons deck. My opponent had Orator of Ojutai to ward off early aggression, Draconic Roar and Crackling Doom to kill my good threats, and Thunderbreak Regent, Stormbreath, and Dragonlord Kolagan to close out the game. Tokens just doesn't seem to have the answers to those threats - Stokes in the main, and I brought in Disdainful Strokes and a End Hostilities in for game 2, but didn't see them. Granted I only played 2 games against him but I feel like he'd probably win 80%+ of the time against me.

Unfortunate, because his finals opponent was UB control, which he said is his worst matchup while I feel it's one of my best. Also unfortunate that I got 4 packs for 3/4th place and the top 2 split a box and a half.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Esper Dragons just won GP Kraków. The final was an Esper Dragon mirror, and so was one of the semis.

Matchups were infinitely more watchable than G/W Devotion.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

qbert posted:

Esper Dragons just won GP Kraków. The final was an Esper Dragon mirror, and so was one of the semis.

Matchups were infinitely more watchable than G/W Devotion.

6/8 of the decks in the top 8 were Esper Dragons.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
I pulled a Homer at my Gameday yesterday. Only 11 people showed up, so good odds to get the promo, but after some horrible draws/mulligans in round two and some misplays in round three, I finished 2-2 and in 9th place. But the guy who finished in eighth (who happened to be the guy I destroyed in the first round) had left, so his promos slid down to me!

Then I bought a leftover Atarka prerelease box, since I hadn't been able to make the prerelease and just wanted to (and wanted to see if I'd pull the Dragonlord Atarka promo), and lo and behold that's exactly what it had. Happy after all.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Andrew Boswell is currently down a game to a 14 year old in the top 8. Apparently this kid has just missed out on a GP top 8 and got 2nd in his states.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Alaan posted:

Andrew Boswell is currently down a game to a 14 year old in the top 8. Apparently this kid has just missed out on a GP top 8 and got 2nd in his states.

The kid has been playing TCGs for a while, I guess is one of the top Yu Gi Oh players in the world too.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Does he have some kind of pyramid-shaped necklace?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Managed to win my game day today :toot:. Got a bit lucky in terms of matchups (the only green ones were generally Temur Dragon variants) but I think I played pretty solidly.

Atarka's Command is absurdly good

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Haha holy poo poo has Boswell had bad luck on Ajani. A full wiff on the first search(This may have also been an Anafenza I was out of the room when this first happened) followed by the only hit being Anafenza while he already had one on board.

Edit; Ahaha. Bonus: hits Anafenza off of Tasigur.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 19, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I should teach my little cousins how to play legacy so people will get mad when a couple of 8 year olds beat them in their children's card game.

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF
4-0 the swiss, beating a Jeskai Ascendency Combo and Esper Control deck to get there, then in the top 4 cut, managed to draw 16 of 24 lands after 3 fetch shuffles whilst playing Jeskai Tokens with perhaps only 2-3 other spells that were instantly countered. Fun day though. Thankfully, the usual TO who runs our midweek as pre-mentioned went home early as he wasn't doing too well...

So, what's the Thunderbreak going for? Managed to pull another Dragonlord Atarka in my prizes too, so not a shabby day all said and done.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

And Oliver the 14 year old knocks out the Boswell the top seed to advance to the semis.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I hope this kid wins just for playing basic lands older than he is. (also it's my favorite plains art)

Peepers fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 19, 2015

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Mr. Peepers posted:

Jeskai tokens went well at gameday until I got absolutely and rapidly crushed in the semifinals by a Mardu dragons deck. My opponent had Orator of Ojutai to ward off early aggression, Draconic Roar and Crackling Doom to kill my good threats, and Thunderbreak Regent, Stormbreath, and Dragonlord Kolagan to close out the game. Tokens just doesn't seem to have the answers to those threats - Stokes in the main, and I brought in Disdainful Strokes and a End Hostilities in for game 2, but didn't see them. Granted I only played 2 games against him but I feel like he'd probably win 80%+ of the time against me.

Unfortunate, because his finals opponent was UB control, which he said is his worst matchup while I feel it's one of my best. Also unfortunate that I got 4 packs for 3/4th place and the top 2 split a box and a half.

Mardu dragons is a lot of fun, felt awesome to cast Foul-Tongue Invocation against a heroic player with one creature on the board and see him windmill slam gods willing then say "wait, what?"

Kologhan, the Storm's Fury and multiple Thunderbreak Regents are hilarious force multipliers, and stormbreath can still get it done on its own against white heavy decks.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Well that's unfortunate. Twitch just died right as the finals were going to start.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
So grats to Oliver Tomajko, taking the SCG Open. RDW got crushed.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

You could basically hear sadtrombone.wav when he dropped that Doomwake.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Alaan posted:

You could basically hear sadtrombone.wav when he dropped that Doomwake.

My heart sank. The fires in my soul, quenched. :(

Good for Oliver though.

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013

Ask Me For Warez posted:

This kid is a good player and I''m happy to see the list. I'm thinking I need to swap my Renimator around because I never thought of using Den protectors. That list is amazing.

edit: this kids game sense is amazing as well. like they pointed out he stopped warnings from happening where most of the older dudes would have not have noticed it. He also isn't cocky and was confident the whole way

wiskibubbles fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 20, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I am shocked that RDW lost to the Caryatid-Courser-Rhino-Whip-Doomwake list. It does look really good though, the reanimation package looks hard for control to grind through.

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I am shocked that RDW lost to the Caryatid-Courser-Rhino-Whip-Doomwake list. It does look really good though, the reanimation package looks hard for control to grind through.

with My Whip list I specificly put in caryatid- courser in the main board and put doomwake in the side just for RDW

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Are there deck lists for this event yet?

Also I went to game day with my barely updated Temur aggro list. Went 3-1, played control 3 times and a weird gruul ramp deck.

I took out heir of the wilds and rattleclaw Mystics and boon satyrs and replaced them with coursers, caryatids, and thunderbreaks. The changes felt great, no new Sarkhans though.

I know Temur aggro might not be T1 but I just love Bjg Knucks and I think he's criminally under used. My game against control is pretty great because my sideboard is full of counters and OG Surrak.

The gruul ramp deck took a surprise G1 off me by ripping a massiv craters claw for 12. So I sided in 6 counterspells and then just got there after countering atarka after atarka.

I lost to u/w control featuring NarsetWalker in 3 I hit an ill-timed land pocket G3.

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Are there deck lists for this event yet?

http://sales.starcitygames.com//dec...city=Providence

There's the deck lists.

I Love playing against Temur when I decide to play U/B control but again my list isn't the 100% standard you should do this list

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
^^^ thanks!

Edit: this is a weird double post I don't even know how it happened???

Since we're here, why do you feel so confident against Temur as u/b? What kind of Temur decks do you usually play against?

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 20, 2015

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013
I feel confident against Temur because of the amount of removal I run main board. I run 4 crux and 3 Vaults, 2 bb and 4 Downfalls 1 Cut.
Also run Ashiok. which honestly fucks most mid range decks.

But most of the Temur decks I play against are the mid range type and One temur control. I think most of the guys have changed to either RDW or Abzan

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

Also I went to game day with my barely updated Temur aggro list. Went 3-1, played control 3 times and a weird gruul ramp deck.

Do you have a list? I am always interested in decks that can use OG Surrak.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

Do you have a list? I am always interested in decks that can use OG Surrak.

Which one? The good one or the fun one?

Nevermind that's both of them. Surrak, Bearpuncher is the best not-planeswalker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

One I can run in a PPTQ in 2 weeks and not go 0-X. Little tired of playing Mono Red.

• Locked thread