Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

olaf2022 posted:

and if one more person pronounces it "hah-buh-nyair-oh" as if it had an "ñ" in it, I'm just going to snap

Huh, I buy salsa and hot sauce in South Texas made from Habanero and this one company puts the "Ñ" in it. Weird. It's Julio's brand. They must be "Mexican" and not Mexican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

ErIog posted:

Japanese mayo is awesome. It's a bit tangy like it has just a slight bit of horseradish in it. It's much better than the generally tasteless sandwich lube you get most often in the US. Japan actually consumes about a quarter to a third less mayo than the US. It's just that Japanese-style mayo actually has a taste so you see it advertised as a flavor in more things. It's a functional condiment in the US rather than a flavorful one.

I find that people like to mock mayo in the US a lot when they are really talking about Miracle Whip. Mayo is necessary on a sandwich or a burger, not as a flavoring, but as a blocker on the top and bottom layers. It stops any liquids from soaking into the bread.

I enjoy Japanese mayo but it's a bit sweet for me. Home made is best, but to be fair, it does take more effort than one wants to exercise when all you want is a quick turkey on rye with mustard and mayo.

Now Caesar dressing... There is something that should only be made fresh, by hand, no food processor, whole anchovies. Fresh Fresh Fresh.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

mostlygray posted:

I find that people like to mock mayo in the US a lot when they are really talking about Miracle Whip. Mayo is necessary on a sandwich or a burger, not as a flavoring, but as a blocker on the top and bottom layers. It stops any liquids from soaking into the bread.

Sometimes I see food debates pop up in threads about "buttering" sandwiches, and I often wonder...

I'm in the US, and I would either use mustard, mayo, or both on my bread for most basic deli meat sandwiches. Folks from Europe or other areas chime in on threads saying that's sacrilege, and that normal people "butter" their bread for sandwiches. This usually results in pages of debate where I think everyone's misunderstanding each other. So my question is:

What do folks around Europe put on their bread for sandwiches, if anything. Does "buttering" mean actual butter, as in churned cow's cream? Or something else? I could totally see the word being used as slang for any kind of spread put on sandwich bread.

If I'm weird for using mustard and/or mayo on my sandwiches in the US, what do other US people put on their sandwiches?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Ferret King posted:

If I'm weird for using mustard and/or mayo on my sandwiches in the US, what do other US people put on their sandwiches?

According to internet nerds, some organic vegetable fresh from the farmer's market lightly pureed.

Reading this thread is balm for the soul when I'm feeling down. At least I'm not the type of person who has a strong opinion about mayonnaise.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Acne Rain posted:

dough

a few days

what is mold?

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Huh, I buy salsa and hot sauce in South Texas made from Habanero and this one company puts the "Ñ" in it. Weird. It's Julio's brand. They must be "Mexican" and not Mexican.

yup

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:psyduck: "empañada". Who the hell does that? The hell? Respect the correct use of the ñ, you people!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And while I'm at it, learn what a loving accent mark does

"Murciélago" is not pronounced "mur-see-eh-LAH-go". The pronunciation guide is right there in the word

E: And I dare you to explain this bullshit

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Apr 19, 2015

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

NLJP posted:

Congrats on missing the last five years or so. Yeah it's stupid, it's been fashionable for a while now to declare all kinds of food intolerances for no real good reason, even beyond being simply vegan or vegetarian.

I know about gluten intolerance, but I didn't know it went beyond that. The funny thing was the use of almonds instead of peanuts in the other one. What about the evils of tree nut allergies? :byodood:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Data Graham posted:

And while I'm at it, learn what a loving accent mark does

"Murciélago" is not pronounced "mur-see-eh-LAH-go". The pronunciation guide is right there in the word

E: And I dare you to explain this bullshit

Obviously you pronounce the P violently. Avoid spitting please.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Mmm.. poo poo

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

It's called shami kebab and that picture isn't too bad, but it really looks like huge turds. I get it every time at the kebab place and it is awesome.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
the pic I posted was Frikandel, here's another choice photo

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Minarch posted:

Have you ever tried just raw tomatoes blended up?
Uh, yes? Why do you think that would be a bad thing?

mostlygray posted:

Mayo is necessary on a sandwich or a burger, not as a flavoring, but as a blocker on the top and bottom layers. It stops any liquids from soaking into the bread.
You put mayonnaise one every sandwich? That is insane.

The Ferret King posted:

Sometimes I see food debates pop up in threads about "buttering" sandwiches, and I often wonder...

I'm in the US, and I would either use mustard, mayo, or both on my bread for most basic deli meat sandwiches. Folks from Europe or other areas chime in on threads saying that's sacrilege, and that normal people "butter" their bread for sandwiches. This usually results in pages of debate where I think everyone's misunderstanding each other. So my question is:

What do folks around Europe put on their bread for sandwiches, if anything. Does "buttering" mean actual butter, as in churned cow's cream? Or something else? I could totally see the word being used as slang for any kind of spread put on sandwich bread.
Sometimes refers to margarine (or other butter substitute), but yes, actual butter. Why would you not put butter on a sandwich? Even if you're putting mayonnaise or mustard on, you start with butter. Don't you? What do you think butter is for?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

personally i rub butter all over my body and masturbate furiously

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Cooking things in

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tiggum posted:

Sometimes refers to margarine (or other butter substitute), but yes, actual butter. Why would you not put butter on a sandwich? Even if you're putting mayonnaise or mustard on, you start with butter. Don't you? What do you think butter is for?

Toast, baking, and frying onions

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Tiggum posted:

Hahahahahaha and you guys always call American's fat fucks. Why would you slather every sandwich in fat? Do you do this for all sandwiches? Like Reubens and Cubans and poo poo?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

I don't care what you put on your bread, but don't pretend that smearing butter on your sandwiches is a normal thing people should feel weird for not doing. That is one in a long list of gross british things no one else does.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Tiggum buddy I love you and I know you're in the middle of penning a post-by-post response defending your opinion that butter belongs on sandwiches but just bail man, there's no winning this one

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If it's a hot sandwich on a toasted bun I'll put a small smear of butter on the toasted bread but butter on a regular sandwich is insane.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Tiggum posted:

No I would do one or the other. But I don't butter bread for sandwiches. I've not met anyone else who has either though I'm sure it's done somewhere in the US (by virtue of the population size).

If I butter bread it's because I'm making grilled cheese or eating the bread as a side with something like eggs for breakfast. Or maybe toasting it like with garlic bread. Bread with butter is delicious, but it's not how I prepare sandwich bread.

Many sandwiches from restaurants have other sauces or dressings. But mayo and mustard is always what we used for basic, simple, deli meat sandwiches.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

im pooping! posted:

personally i rub butter all over my body and masturbate furiously

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Brits invented a sandwich that is literally butter, white bread, and french fries. I don't think they can claim any sort of moral high ground just on that front.

That said, getting all :byodood: over butter is incredibly silly.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i recall seeing, in this thread or the last one, the british staple, the toast sandwich

literally a piece of toasted bread between two pieces of untoasted bread

i dont know if it includes butter

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

The Ferret King posted:

My parents would put a layer of butter on sandwiches they would make for me when I was a child. I was never a fan of that. It was just a regular butter spread sometimes kinda thickly on one of the slices of bread. However, I've never heard of anybody in Europe saying using mustard or mayo on a sandwich was sacrilege. I do it myself and I never had the idea it was something people would find unusual in this neck of the woods. So I'm pretty sure it's a misunderstanding because there is no actual split on this issue between Europe and the US.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Putting butter/margarine on a sandwich isn't weird though? If you have a jam sandwich what do you put on the bread to stop it going soggy, loving mayo? And you think we're weird?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

us weirdos just eat the sandwich instead of letting it sit around for like 15 minutes

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

left_unattended posted:

Putting butter/margarine on a sandwich isn't weird though? If you have a jam sandwich what do you put on the bread to stop it going soggy, loving mayo? And you think we're weird?

Butter, but get this: it's made of peanuts.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
What's wrong with a thin spread of marge on a peanut butter sandwich? Or a meat sandwich, whatever.

Maybe it's an NZ thing, but we don't eat much mayo, even on meat sandwiches marge or butter is more normal, with a bit of mayo or sauce. That's not weird.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterbrot

Note that this requires bread that actually tastes like bread; don't try it with that American sponge stuff.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Brits invented a sandwich that is literally butter, white bread, and french fries. I don't think they can claim any sort of moral high ground just on that front.

That said, getting all :byodood: over butter is incredibly silly.

Chip butties are magical and I won't hear a bad word about them. :colbert:

To be honest though, I didn't know that putting butter in a sandwich was a British thing until I moved to the US. I still love a sandwich that's just buttered bread, shredded chicken (still hot from the oven) and a tiny sprinkle of salt.

You should have seen the confusion when I mentioned a "cheese salad sandwich" though. I meant this:

My friends thought I meant cheese mashed up with mayo. It was an awkward conversation until we figured out why the gently caress we were all so weirded out by each other's culinary habits.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
Just double fist two sticks of butter gently caress carbs

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Americans getting mad at both how people pronounce words and how people don't slather everything in mayo, all on the same page.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
People in different areas have different food traditions. Difficult concept, I know.

This was my first and last attempt at working with pastry.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Zopotantor posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterbrot

Note that this requires bread that actually tastes like bread; don't try it with that American sponge stuff.

So THAT'S what my Polish grandmother was going for. I couldn't understand why she wanted to feed me white wonderbread and butter when she could have made an actual sandwich instead. Turns out plain butter on nice European rye is wonderful.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

My father used to tell us about he ate sticks of butter like candy bars. In spite of that he is a super healthy beanpole (although a very short one).

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Chard posted:

My father used to tell us about he ate sticks of butter like candy bars. In spite of that he is a super healthy beanpole (although a very short one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My mom's friend used to put butter on peanut butter and jam, and peanut butter and honey sandwiches. She'd layer the butter on as thick as everything else. I threw up once after trying to eat one. To this day, I can't eat peanut butter and honey sandwiches. I can handle a lightly buttered bread that is then toasted, but just cold butter on bread is just not appealing at all.

• Locked thread