Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I just left a car meet that could have been plucked from the 90's it was so bad.
And then some assholes got into a fight and one of them had a gun tucked in his belt so I said gently caress this and bailed. Passed 6 cops heading that direction on my way home.

:doh: Assholes ruin car culture.

I went to an Audi meet this weekend...it was all 2000+ cars, I was the only car older than 10 years. Everybody looked at my 90 20v Quattro funny and kept asking if it was actually an Audi. :smith:

It seems like the local Audi group is actually just a dealer organized car meet and is mostly pushed on recent car buyers to make them feel special. Ironically, the only ones who knew what my car was and how rare it was was the dealer sales guys who were actually impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

:doh: Assholes ruin car culture.

I went to an Audi meet this weekend...it was all 2000+ cars, I was the only car older than 10 years. Everybody looked at my 90 20v Quattro funny and kept asking if it was actually an Audi. :smith:

When my buddy's 86 5000S existed, we tried to go to the Audi dealer for one of their "bring your off-warranty Audi in for an inspection and get a free set of wiper blades" scams.

They refused to believe it was actually an Audi.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Made the mistake of buying some salsa earlier with the name "salsa 100 fuegos"

I ate it on a burrito. My stomach hurts and farts are burning.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

iwentdoodie posted:

You went to Cardenas, didn't you? Should have stuck with the guacatillo and carnitas.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

El Jebus posted:

You went to Cardenas, didn't you? Should have stuck with the guacatillo and carnitas.

Yuuuup.

My wife got the guacatillo. That poo poo is delicious. So glad they opened a Cardenas around the corner.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

iwentdoodie posted:

Good username/post combo

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

some texas redneck posted:

I gave up on this lovely drill, walked into Home Depot in the middle of a nasty thunderstorm, 10 minutes before close, and asked for their cheapest name brand corded drill. I'm now the proud owner of a $30 neon green Ryobi, with an equally colorful carrying case (with no pockets, of course). I'll have to get a decent set of bits for it later, but at least it isn't Ol' Sparky (what I call stepdad's 30+ year old Black and Decker corded drill that shocks the gently caress out of me every time I use it), nor is it Ol' Wheezy (mom's cordless B&D drill that lasts about 30 seconds on a charge).

Holy crap, this drill drat near breaks my wrist when it bites. It took 2 seconds to zip through a stud that the battery powered drill struggled for over a minute with, using the same super dull bits. The fan in it also made a massive cloud of insulation fly everywhere, but drat that thing works really well. It also caused the router to reboot when I plugged the drill into the attic outlet, since they're on the same 15 amp circuit. :haw:

... also found out it's really good at breaking into my bedroom. I locked my keys in (again :argh:). I knew where the screws were that attached the outer portion of the knob to the inner portion (you know the 2 screws?). It took about 30 seconds to drill through them from the outside (can't see them from outside) and get back in.

There's now 4 CAT5E jacks hardwired in the house. 3 more for tomorrow. Mom and stepdad are both going "holy poo poo" at the internet speed they're getting now, and the HTPC I built months ago to replace the master bedroom cable box is working perfectly now with no pixelation.

I'm getting better at this punch down thing, I think. It looks neater, anyway.

Wiring is looking neater.

Motronic posted:

I put out 4 of those, and one was in an attached garage and had started overnight with the residents in the house asleep. It had breached the door of the garage and extended into the attic by the time it was discovered. The garage/truck was OFF when we got there. Ended up venting the roof of the garage while another two crews went through the front door and pushed the fire back through the attic and downstairs hallway to the garage.

I saw the aftermath of an F-150 fire the day after, actually owned by the customer I was delivering to. I said "I guess you guys never got the cruise control recall done?". They said the first they'd heard about it was from the firefighters, and the fire, at least to my untrained eye, looked to have originated in that area (the most damage was on the firewall around the master cylinder anyway).

It was normally parked inside, they'd left it out front overnight. 2001 crew cab.

Geoj posted:

This is normal, if you were to transfer a large file you'd find the actual transfer speed is (probably) considerably lower than gigabit. You only need CAT-5E/6 if full duplex speed is a requirement or if your runs are near the maximum length .

It only has to last a couple more days, at most. I already have the cutout for the box, just need to pull the wires.

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, the issue is the key is at my parent's house somewhere. I haven't seen that disk for 8 years.

You don't need the disk itself. Just use Magical Jellybean to pull the key, and there's many ways to track down a Windows 7 ISO. In fact, I'm pretty sure I still have my original pre-release ISO, but you'd spend days downloading updates. I can get a legal SP1 ISO pretty easily if you want. (hell I can get a legal ISO and key if I want through Academic Alliance, but I'd rather hang on to that, since I only get 1 key).

Black88GTA posted:

I scavenged a nice Samsung flatscreen monitor from the trash pile at work that was doing this (although it was intermittent). After Googling a little bit I found that they used glue on the electronics inside that over time dries out and becomes conductive. Solution - go in there with a plastic scraper type thing and carefully chip all of the lovely glue off of the electronics. I was kind of skeptical, but had nothing to lose except an hour or two, so I did it. It hasn't done it since, and I have the nicest screen of everyone in my office :smugbert:

:aaaaa:

Stepdad's Samsung 32" TV is having this exact issue. Intermittent, and once it's on, it's usually fine, but sometimes you turn it on and you get sound, but the backlight never comes on.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamnit. If I ever have to wire a house with ethernet again, I'm tearing the walls down and throwing in conduit.

I do have to give some kudos to the builders, they used a small amount of expanding foam where a phone line went into the wall. And in an area where it was literally impossible to get a drill (gabled ceiling in the next room). I only had to feed nearly 100 feet of network cable in the wall before I could even find it by sticking a camera in the wall, and it was hung up on romex at the other end of the cavity (the hole I cut was right up against a beam). :argh:

I also get to sister a joist that I tried to cut through to get at the beam I needed to drill through, before realizing the reason I couldn't poke through the same hole as the POTS wire is it had some expanding foam in it. I don't think it's structural, but I'll feel lovely leaving it the way it is.

Wanted to get my room wired up. I'd sooner pound a nail through my dick than go through that wall again.. and I still need to run another cable through that same wall. Then move all the insulation back to where it's supposed to be. :suicide:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 19, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

This is pretty good, but keep in mind that you want to un-twist the pairs as little as possible. It's better to have more jacketing cut away rather than more untwisted pair, if you have to choose. What you have looks pretty good, but that blue pair on the cable second from the top is pushing it. Isn't the spec that you're supposed to have no more than 1" of untwisted wire length across the whole run? It's something like that. I don't remember exactly.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Honestly, this is all new to me (literally babby's first punchdown block), so the more feedback, the better. I've never done a punchdown before, and the only home networking I've done before has been premade cables run in walls to double female jacks (i.e. male to male cables, hooking up to wall jacks). I really jumped into this head first, mostly using the cheapest poo poo I could find. It's still worlds and worlds better than 802.11n (this house just eats wifi signals even if you're 10 ft from the access point), but if you can suggest anything that can improve anything, I'm all ears. :allears:

I figured the less jacket removed, the better, but apparently that isn't the case. I'll take all the advice I can get, though this home stuff can only get so good since it's a home network with generic everything (it's all monoprice keystones,, a generic :10bux: 110 punchdown tool, no-name CCA wire, and an Intellinet 12 port block that looks identical to the Monoprice version). The only real name brand involved is a cheap TRENDNet 8 port gigabit switch, daisychained off of a Verizon FiOS gigabit router (Actiontec), unless you count the gigabit ports built into every PC in the house, and the HDHomeRun Prime TV tuners.

The upside, at least, is so far I seem to be dealing with well under 300 feet of cable in the entire house so far (it's marked every 10-20 ft on the cable, I still have over 700 ft left), and I have 5 jacks wired so far. Nothing in the attic is labeled (yet), but I've run everything neatly. Far neater than the coax, not quite as neat as the romex.

I just finished wiring the jack behind my desk, and at first I was noticing a bit of packet loss - repunching both ends fixed it, I found an almost broken wire at the walljack end. None of the 3 HTPCs in the house experience any pixelation from the TV tuners anymore (ethernet-based), and they can easily stream Bluray-quality uncompressed video now, so things have at least improved - but there's always room for improvement.

tl;dr I'll take any advice you offer, just know I'm on a tight budget.

edit: I walked out of Jet's yesterday. Everyone I was "friends" with on facebook from there has either defriended me or blocked me, except for the assistant manager (who I BS'd with a bit earlier). Just tells me how cliquish the place was.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 19, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CommieGIR posted:

This is what our cars and coffee is turning into. We had 3200 cars last meet, I would guess less than a quarter of that were older than 2000 models. The dealership that hosts it brings out 20 or so of their new cars and have their recent customers come out as well so it's largely just new audi/porsche/jag/infiniti/etc that the dealership chain carries. Then you have the sadly stereotypical Lamborghini and Ferrari owners who you can spot because they start to rush toward you if you get within a foot of their car. We still have a few vintage clubs but they get pushed off to the side. Would be nice to organize another meet for cars of a certain vintage or have a theme for each event but people would bitch because they couldn't bring their car.

Was able to source a new OEM radiator for the M3 that should be here early next week. Dealership wanted 480, sent an email to a couple M3 shops and one will send me one for 280. Could go aluminum for about $30 cheaper but I'm just going to go with OEM. Going to have them send me all new hoses as well since I'm already in there. Think while I have everything apart I'm going to pull the valve cover to check those and refinish the cover.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

bandman posted:

Getting serious about lifting weights and getting into better shape, so I'm starting to track the weights I'm lifting in a spreadsheet so I can see how much stronger I'm getting.

Get a really lovely project car, picking up engines and transmissions at the junkyard is great weight training :v:

As for twisted pair, yes, you want to maximize bend radius on the pairs and minimize the amount you untwist between the punchdown and the cable.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!
Somebody backed into my car... Again. Can't tell if it happened at my girlfriend's house (probably, it's where it got backed into the first time) or at work.

I know it's just a lovely looking civic but man, people are assholes. If this starts happening when I get a new car I'm going to be pissed.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

driguy posted:

Somebody backed into my car... Again. Can't tell if it happened at my girlfriend's house (probably, it's where it got backed into the first time) or at work.

I know it's just a lovely looking civic but man, people are assholes. If this starts happening when I get a new car I'm going to be pissed.

I've got some bad news for you

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

Nodoze posted:

Yeah, no poo poo. That's why the new car is getting parked in the garage.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Nodoze posted:

The newest car I've owned has been the one that gets plowed into the most. My Vibe's been rear-ended 4 times, had the passenger's side mirror crushed when a passing cyclist ran into it while parked, and would have been written off by the guy who backed into it in the middle of the night, had it not been a hit-n-run with no witnesses not 3 weeks after I knocked the insurance from full coverage to liability-only. :smith:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Raluek posted:

Isn't the spec that you're supposed to have no more than 1" of untwisted wire length across the whole run? It's something like that. I don't remember exactly.

This might be a concern if you're wiring up patch panels for an enterprise data center, but a little extra untwisted wire at the panel really isn't going to matter that much for home networking.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Since I am lazy and hate washing my car I just signed up for the unlimited car wash pass at Golden Nozzle. $30/mo for the top tier wash with polish and wax.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

STR you terminate like a first year apprentice. I did a few hundred of those on Friday. :P

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

This was a few days ago, but someone asked how the new starwars robot works. The answer is indeed magnets:

This is most likely how its set up, though only the movies production crew know for sure right now.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Tommychu posted:

The newest car I've owned has been the one that gets plowed into the most.

Just like women. The ones you've had for the shortest amount of time get plowed into the most.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It seems like almost every first gen Lexus IS I see has reverse lights that turn on with the brake lights. Any idea what causes that?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Whelp, I can't figure out what's wrong with my headlight. The light goes on and off when I go over bumps. The bulb is fine. The green and yellow wires that go to the headlight itself have been cut and spliced back together at some point. I just re-did both of those connections and it didn't fix anything.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

God drat iRacing Rookie class :argh:

Was leading a perfect 15-lap MX-5 Cup race at Jefferson Circuit from like lap 3 onwards and pulled out a ~6 second gap from P2. Three laps to go, and shitdick in LAST place comes plowing out of the pitlane right into my line and sends me off track.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Deeters posted:

It seems like almost every first gen Lexus IS I see has reverse lights that turn on with the brake lights. Any idea what causes that?

Grounding issues causing backfeeding. They probably grounded the taillights somewhere moisture-prone.

Sigma X posted:

Just like women. The ones you've had for the shortest amount of time get plowed into the most.

Good analogy, but the vibe is also the car I've owned the longest :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sigma X posted:

Well, perhaps you should be more careful where you park her.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Deeters posted:

I see that on all models of Lexus. I think it's just a thing with them

Cat5 chat: I need a diagram showing what color go where on an att phone jack. Believe about 3/4 of the wires aren't needed, but don't know which ones to use and which to ignore

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Whelp, I can't figure out what's wrong with my headlight. The light goes on and off when I go over bumps. The bulb is fine. The green and yellow wires that go to the headlight itself have been cut and spliced back together at some point. I just re-did both of those connections and it didn't fix anything.

Can you shake the housing by hand to shut it off? If not the problem might be a bad relay or the headlight switch.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Depends on how it's wired up at the opposite end. Since CAT-5 isn't a standard cable for phones there really isn't going to be a wiring guide that will apply for every situation. I'd either backtrack the cable or else figure out which pair is connected with a volt meter. POTS only needs a single pair.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

So I think I found the culprit.

It looks like the pin corroded and broke apart. It lines up with the yellow wire. Where can I buy a replacement headlight harness? Will I have to go to the junkyard?

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Pretty colors, ugly car

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So I think I found the culprit.

It looks like the pin corroded and broke apart. It lines up with the yellow wire. Where can I buy a replacement headlight harness? Will I have to go to the junkyard?

You could chop off the connector and put a new one if you are feeling brave about crimping without the tool

http://www.raffenday.com/150-metri-pack-female-connector-assembly-sealed-315.html?p=3

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Since I am lazy and hate washing my car I just signed up for the unlimited car wash pass at Golden Nozzle. $30/mo for the top tier wash with polish and wax.

Oh come on it cannot be named that can it? Is the top tier the Golden Shower?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tide posted:

I see that on all models of Lexus. I think it's just a thing with them

Cat5 chat: I need a diagram showing what color go where on an att phone jack. Believe about 3/4 of the wires aren't needed, but don't know which ones to use and which to ignore

The thing that is most done (since, as was said, you only need one pair) is to connect the blue pair to the center two pins of the 6p4c. If you only have one line, that is all that matters. Basically, look at TIA-568 (both A and B are the same in this instance) and hook up only the blue wires.

Deeters posted:

If you mean the center lights here:

(yes I know that's a GS not an IS but the IS300 looks similar)

Those are actually tail/brake lights. However, the red coating they use for the lens sucks and fades with time (or from the sun?) and they end up pretty much clear. In that picture, it looks like the driver side got replaced, and the passenger side is about halfway through losing its color. Is that what you mean? Or is it actually the reverse lights next to the turn signals?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Raluek posted:

If you mean the center lights here:

(yes I know that's a GS not an IS but the IS300 looks similar)

Those are actually tail/brake lights. However, the red coating they use for the lens sucks and fades with time (or from the sun?) and they end up pretty much clear. In that picture, it looks like the driver side got replaced, and the passenger side is about halfway through losing its color. Is that what you mean? Or is it actually the reverse lights next to the turn signals?

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about. Neat.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nerds with GTA5 for PC: I only have like 100GB free on my SSD; how boned am I? Also I have an Ivy Bridge i5, 8GB of DD3, and a HD7950.

I could buy a 480GB SSD to replace the 240GB one I have, but I don't feel like spending $300 to play a video game right now.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Phone posted:

Nerds with GTA5 for PC: I only have like 100GB free on my SSD; how boned am I? Also I have an Ivy Bridge i5, 8GB of DD3, and a HD7950.

I could buy a 480GB SSD to replace the 240GB one I have, but I don't feel like spending $300 to play a video game right now.

You should be able to run it, and your ssd has enough space, so go for it.

Edit: http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/sa_ai_goons

Sir Pukesalot fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 19, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Phone posted:

Its 60gb when you download it but it needs more space when it starts to unpack. I think it just needs 90ish though.

My PC is slightly less than yours and I get constant 60fps with 1920x1200 high textures but no AA. I dont mind it without.

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 19, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Alright, cool. I know that SSD performance degrades significantly when over half of the space is being used.

Does the video card seem like it'll be able to push 50fps at 1920x1200 with everything turned up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Cage posted:

Its 60gb when you download it but it needs more space when it starts to unpack. I think it just needs 90ish though.

My PC is slightly less than yours and I get constant 60fps with 1920x1200 high textures but no AA. I dont mind it without.

60,6 GB (65.078.439.936 byte) for the game itself and 9,00 GB (9.671.815.168 byte) for other rockstar files.

• Locked thread