Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Ill just drop this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NELx1y8cr1M

I believe Rebels will tie into this eventually!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
It'll never be Rogue Squadron without Wedge :colbert: (and preferably Hobbie and Janson)

But I'll settle for a kick-rear end X-Wing film. Please be a kick-rear end X-Wing film.

Edit. Seen the tweet. Sounds more like a Wraith Sqauadron gig. That'll do.

Devol_Tettran fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 19, 2015

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Just saw the trailer for season 2 and I'm super pumped. I got stupid giddy at seeing A-Wings and B-Wings.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Ill just drop this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NELx1y8cr1M

I believe Rebels will tie into this eventually!

According to the Star Wars thread, Gareth Edwards says the style of the movie is based on Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, and Zero Dark Thirty. They even brought the cinematographer of Zero Dark Thirty as the principle photographer.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I'm excited that Rex is going to show up, the clone arcs were some of the best parts of The Clone Wars. They're gonna have to do a little bit of explaining though. Why doesn't he kill all Jedi? My guess is that Rex and some of the other Arc Troopers pulled their chips, despite what they were told happened to Fives. If Rex had any faith in what Fives said, the only way he really could have tested it was pulling his own chip. Unless Ashoka doesn't fall under the banner of Jedi since she was kicked out.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 20, 2015

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Sammus posted:

I'm excited that Rex is going to show up, the clone arcs were some of the best parts of The Clone Wars. They're gonna have to do a little bit of explaining though. Why doesn't he kill all Jedi? My guess is that Rex and some of the other Arc Troopers pulled their chips, despite what they were told happened to Fives. If Rex had any faith in what Fives said, the only way he really could have tested it was pulling his own chip. Unless Ashoka doesn't fall under the banner of Jedi since she was kicked out.

I was under the impression that its like a single trigger, once its activated they do it until the order is over. Then their back to normal again. Once they realise what happened Rex probably realises what happened and tries to get it removed in case the trigger word gets sent out again.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Look at the side of his head. Granted it could be a battle scar, but I'd say the issue has been handled.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Look at the side of his head. Granted it could be a battle scar, but I'd say the issue has been handled.

I didn't notice that, seems like it would be easy to cover in a couple of lines then and a point to the head.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Aces High posted:

iirc the A-Wings we will be seeing are not the same A-Wings that appear in RotJ, like A-Wing X1's or something, and I am willing to put money on the B-Wing story being a "gently caress, we broke it but cool concept" type episode.

I want to see some Z-95s though at least as a warm up to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUVc8KN7PdM or a similar intro of the X-Wing :black101:

Blue colored A-wings = prototype

:goonsay:

Train Surgeon
Jan 14, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

Blue colored A-wings = prototype

:goonsay:

Also, their color in the original concept art for RotJ. Iirc, this was changed to red since blue wouldn't show up with the bluescreen used for the model filming. Ah, how far we've come...

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So who are the other two clones with Rex? Any ideas?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

kefkafloyd posted:

So who are the other two clones with Rex? Any ideas?

Gregor and Wolffe.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nah, I think the one on the left is Boil, he has the same mustache.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Could it be Cody?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A better view:

Edit: A voice has been cast too: Sam Whitwer will be the Emperor. Like in The Force Unleashed & Lego Star Wars.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 20, 2015

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Wow, Clone Wars is darker than I thought it was. Maybe it's exacerbated by watching them in chronological order, but it was pretty jarring being introduced to a scrappy crew of young cadets , each with their own names and personalities, only to see three of them die in the very next episode.

Also, the movie wasn't as bad as I if heard. But it was pretty weird for the movie to be chugging along one minute, and the next minute Padme shows up and starts talking to a flamboyantly gay hutt and I'm all :wtc:

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
IIRC, the "movie" was just the first few episodes of the series mashed together, so that might explain the weird pacing and wonky quality, overall.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I was talking about the trailer and chats about season 2 and we came to the conclusion that the danger to Ahsoka isn't that Vader will just strike her down. He's obviously skirting the Rule of 2 pretty aggressively, and we know from Empire/Jedi that the second Luke shows up, he's intent on making his son his apprentice and overthrowing Sheev. Consider what his reaction is going to be when he re-encounters:
    his old apprentice;
    whose training he never finished;
    who he feels he failed;
    who is a trained force user but already not a Jedi;
    who has demonstrated she's vulnerable to her own rage and impulsiveness in the past;
    and apparently comes complete with hostages he can use to compel her surrender.
Given how their story ended and where he's going to be in five years, I cannot imagine Vader killing Ahsoka without first giving her a blend of his exchanges with Obi-Wan in ANH and Luke in Empire and Jedi -- "My old apprentice. The Order failed both of us. Join me now and I will complete your training -- we will overthrow the Emperor and bring peace, order and justice to the galaxy. I know you want that. You know me. You know it's what Padme would have wanted." Just making the offer would be validating for Vader's self-image, and I can see it being tempting to Ahsoka, depending on how her take on her departure from the Order is developed and how she really feels about the Rebellion.

How they play it depends 100% on whether she knows who he is or not. If she knows, she's going to give him a wide berth, as they can probably sense each other's presences at a planetary scale, and if she doesn't know, that's going to be a hell of a realization when they get close enough she can tell by his presence or saber style.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I actually think it's better not to watch in chronological order, especially the clone trooper episodes. The feel-good team building traiing episode is much darker knowing that only Fives and Echo survive their first mission.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

drunkill posted:

A better view:

Great catch! I can't imagine them not taking a minute or two in order to fill in the gaps between when we last saw Rex and now.

Also, fuckin Hando. Easily one of the best TCW characters, I'm glad he's coming back.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Yup, good ole Hondo. Still swindling after all these years, except hopefully swindling for the good guys full time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I dunno. I liked how Hondo was only ever really on his own side, that being whichever way the promise of profit and his own whimsy took him. I could see him deciding that the Empire is bad for business, but I dunno if that'd make him throw in with an organized rebellion though. Mercenary work and privateering for them, sure, but not shackling himself to a larger group.

I hope he contines to stradle the line between friend and foe.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I am pretty eager for more Sam Witwer emperor.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

tin can made man posted:

IIRC, the "movie" was just the first few episodes of the series mashed together, so that might explain the weird pacing and wonky quality, overall.

Yea, and while Ahsoka became pretty awesome in later seasons, she was pretty irritating those first few episodes.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
She was just a kid. Anakin was the annoying one.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
This'll be a very unpopular opinion, but I, uh, never liked the concept of Ahsoka. She felt like that quintessential fan fiction character: the 14-year-old girl that has the ~~special relationship~~ with the main canon character. And I say that knowing that she is canon now.

On the other hand, it amuses me that one of the oldest and strongest universums has now enshrined in canon one of the oldest and strongest fan fiction tropes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nihonniboku posted:

Yea, and while Ahsoka became pretty awesome in later seasons, she was pretty irritating those first few episodes.

After suffering through Jake Lloyd in TPM, I guess I built up a high tolerance to lovely/irritating kid characters. Ahsoka wasn't that annoying to me at the start.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The main thing that's wrong with Ahsoka is that she's a young and naive Jedi apprentice who over the course of the Clone wars becomes increasingly disillusioned with the Jedi Order and ultimately decides to leave it.

Believably.

Ie. she literally has the character arc Anakin was supposed to have.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I was pretty anti-Ashoka through at least the start of season 2. She's especially terrible in the movie that leads into Season 1, and only gets a little better until the show really gets rolling in the later seasons. Then her arc turns into one of the saddest moments the show ever does.

I've got to say it again. Fuckin Hando!!!!!

He's not a terribly bad guy, and he clearly preferred working with the Jedi to the separatists. When the only reason your men are loyal to you is because you can pay them well, sometimes you have to do less scrupulous things, like stealing from younglings.

Also, judging by how happy he sounded to be going on an adventure, he's probably retired in some backwoods shithole and doesn't get out much. I bet after the Clone Wars he was forced out of piracy fairly quickly.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Alchenar posted:

Ie. she literally has the character arc Anakin was supposed to have.

Well, maybe the start of it. I would hardly expect Ahsoka to be running around like Darth Vader. Anakin having this arc still wouldn't be the monster we saw in A New Hope.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

meristem posted:

This'll be a very unpopular opinion, but I, uh, never liked the concept of Ahsoka. She felt like that quintessential fan fiction character: the 14-year-old girl that has the ~~special relationship~~ with the main canon character. And I say that knowing that she is canon now.

What? She's a padawan, there's nothing weird or special about their relationship, they're jedi. Ahsoka's great because she's a super positive female role model, and in the end she turns out to be the smartest, and pretty much most capable character on the show. There's legitimate, earned development there.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Well, maybe the start of it. I would hardly expect Ahsoka to be running around like Darth Vader. Anakin having this arc still wouldn't be the monster we saw in A New Hope.

Up until the decision to leave it's essentially the same. The ideal version of Anakin's arc is that his decision to leave is prompted by being forced to watch a bunch of clone troopers he likes die because of the Council, at which point he goes "gently caress it, you guys don't have what it takes to win the war" and leaves. Then Palatine pulls him in with the 'you want the power to save everyone, right?' line of seduction. and he eats it up until suddenly he's gone too far to go back.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Hakkesshu posted:

What? She's a padawan, there's nothing weird or special about their relationship, they're jedi. Ahsoka's great because she's a super positive female role model, and in the end she turns out to be the smartest, and pretty much most capable character on the show. There's legitimate, earned development there.

In a franchise that has only two female protagonists (one of which dies of a broken heart), the importance of another strong female character cannot be underestimated.
Also, Ashley Eckstein, the woman who voices Ahsoka, is a total überfan who started her own line of Star Wars themed clothes for women because she was tired of having to wear boys' clothes when she wanted to wear something SW related. Her stuff is selling pretty well from what I heard. She's become kind of an ambassador for female SW fandom over the years.

That said, hearing "Skyguy" and "Artooie" is still annoying as hell, and thankfully the writers dropped that pretty soon. I also love the scene (during the Mortis trilogy, I think) where Ahsoka snaps and yells at Anakin to finally stop calling her "Snips".

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

meristem posted:

On the other hand, it amuses me that one of the oldest and strongest universums has now enshrined in canon one of the oldest and strongest fan fiction tropes.

Nah I'm also one of the few people who just cant stand the character. Though the upside to the character is all the insanely wrong interpretations of her and what she might or might not do in this thread. One poster even said she is now neutral and would be fine with the Empire for some reason. Like you can enjoy the slow burn or whatever but the show spends like 3 seasons where the character is the little kid fan insert.

Also the bra strap was super creepy.

Alchenar posted:

Up until the decision to leave it's essentially the same. The ideal version of Anakin's arc is that his decision to leave is prompted by being forced to watch a bunch of clone troopers he likes die because of the Council, at which point he goes "gently caress it, you guys don't have what it takes to win the war" and leaves. Then Palatine pulls him in with the 'you want the power to save everyone, right?' line of seduction. and he eats it up until suddenly he's gone too far to go back.

The arc for Ahsoka though is 'The jedi council are the stupidest people in the universe. The jedi council really are the stupidest people in the universe. Oh the first sign of trouble you hang me out to dry to protect your political image despite super suspicious circumstances surrounding everything, yea gently caress that.' There is never any temptation or desire to change things or anything like that. The closest is when she wants to go help some rebels and the council essentially reacts with 'yeah okay whatever that might help go nuts'. She just starts to see the multitude of really bad and poorly thought out decisions made by the people in charge and decides thats not something to bother following.

EDIT: I mean im not a fan of the character but the arc is decent its just nothing even remotely similar to Anakins. Her arc is being a naive little kid who is super ignorant trying to learn from people and realising that everyone who is supposed to be helping her grow and develop are as ignorant as she is.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 22, 2015

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Wasn't the premier supposed to be shown at celebration? Are there any details about that or did I miss it somehow?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Pops Mgee posted:

Wasn't the premier supposed to be shown at celebration? Are there any details about that or did I miss it somehow?

It was, and there are a ton of hot spoilers floating around for it. Would prefer if those didn't appear in the thread, seeing that we're so incredibly far out from the still-unknown summer premiere date, but here's a spoiler-free review nonetheless.

General word out of the convention is that it surpasses even "Fire Across The Galaxy" and "Call To Action" in terms of overall quality, and, having seen a few of those spoilers, I'm tempted to agree. :)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Astro Nut posted:

My two biggest interests going forward are A) Who Vader's frontman/woman will be, since the general indication is that he'll more of a looming spectre to the Ghost crew rather than a regular, recurring combatant (though probably enough to make clear that he is the big fish in this pond) and B) How Ahsoka and Kanan will align, since odds are they'll have entirely different views of the Jedi Order and what it should be if it ever comes back (if the concept behind Ahsoka's armour is canon, then she's likely been delving into their history), and there's still the only known pupil in the galaxy to teach.

What's the concept behind Ahsoka's armor out of interest?

Hakkesshu posted:

I gotta admit I'd be disappointed if they introduced Ahsoka only to never have her show up or have Vader kill her early on. I think she's the single strongest character to come out of the whole Filoni production, and I definitely think there's room enough for her to take a prominent role without stealing the spotlight, especially with the second season being longer. She's also a really interesting contrast to Ezra and Kanan in that she actively doesn't want to be a Jedi, which I can't recall ever having been a thing before.

I would assume that Ahsoka would be used as the Rebel's version of Darth Vader for at least one season until Kanan becomes a better Jedi who can stand up to him, in that while she might be around in the background of the show regularly, other characters will be taking center stage. Vader has other duties besides hunting Jedi after all (or I assume so at least), and can't be on the ground pursuing them 24/7, which will be the job of the Inquisitors, who would presumably call him in only if they got a solid lead or plan in motion, where most of the episodes are like to cover a time frame so short he'd have no time to get there and gently caress poo poo up. Ahsoka as Fulcrum seems to be high up on the Rebel ladder so will presumably doing much the same thing. You'll see her ordering missions and doing other administrative work, but she's unlikely to have the time or luxury to go tramping around on random adventures most of the time.

Which is why I doubt we'll be seeing the return of Bariss Offee as an inquisitor personally. Ahsoka already has enough fertile ground to cover in terms of Sith antagonists with Vader. Adding Barriss would just serve to reinforce many of the same issues or themes Vader already covers for Ahsoka, which, if she were one of the main characters would be okay. Not so much when you're talking about what is presumably going to be a secondary character.

The Clone Wars ran for 6 seasons and would probably have run for at least another 3 if Disney hadn't bought the rights to the franchise and decided to go in a new direction, so I would assume Rebels is planned to run for a while too. Ratings might mean it's cut short, but I can't imagine Filoni and company aren't planning things for the long haul personally, since Star Wars is such a big property and they can coast on Disney money to act as promotion for the films for a few years even if the ratings aren't stellar. Given that I'd imagine Ahsoka is probably going to be around for more than one season personally, but that she'll eventually die by Vader's hand a few seasons down the line because given the setup of the original trilogy, there's really not much choice. They might get away with Ezra disappearing for a few years to do his own thing while the Original Trilogy takes place, but Kanan and Ahsoka pretty much have to die at some point or else they rather undercut the original films.

I'm just curious whether the [season two trailer spoilers]two new inquisitors seen in the trailer will both be of equivalent level or what, because I would hope they'll start to let Ezra grow in to his powers more in the second season and get mixed in to more lightsaber magic fights. I'm assuming that those two inquisitors and maybe even some other ones are there to serve as the primary antagonists for Kanan and Ezra while Ahsoka deals with Vader in any real fights - as opposed to the beatdown he puts on them in the trailer.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
While I loved the trailers and the show, is anyone else bothered by the lightsaber animations? They are just so thin its off-putting. I showed a friend the season 2 trailer and his first response was "whats up with those lightsabers?"

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

swickles posted:

While I loved the trailers and the show, is anyone else bothered by the lightsaber animations? They are just so thin its off-putting. I showed a friend the season 2 trailer and his first response was "whats up with those lightsabers?"

They really don't bother me. I vaguely remember in A New Hope some shots of lightsabers being really thin, although I may be misremembering. They've changed a few other things in this show too, such as the long neck star destroyers and the smaller tie fighter panels. A lot of it is based on old concept art I think.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

swickles posted:

Yup, its a stylistic choice. They're emulating the saber effects of A New Hope, where the sabers were often quite thin. Plus they have the odd yellow flashes when the sabers clash. The thin sabers were a lot more noticeable in the original non-special edition version (in fact Obi-wan's saber actually fails to be animated for a half second at one point and you can see the prop rod underneath).

And yeah, a lot of other things are based on old Ralph McQuarrie Concept art. For example, that crime lord Azmorrigon was based on old concepts for Jabba and the Storm Trooper vehicle trooper helmet is based on old concepts for the Snow Trooper armor from Hoth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

tsob posted:

What's the concept behind Ahsoka's armor out of interest?

It's mentioned in Rebels Recon, but basically its done as if she's found some ancient Jedi armour in a lost temple somewhere (tying into another point of the series where they imagine that in the backstory, the Jedi had a lot more temples - and esoteric methods of training - before gradually transitioning to 'standard' tests like at Ilum). And given one of the minor story points of the Clone Wars was on how the Jedi were losing/had lost their way, it'd be interesting to see what Ahsoka might have dug up.

• Locked thread