Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yvonmukluk posted:

And then Green Goblin/Bendis killed him. :smith:

He knew he was going to die and he went out trying to take Norman down. I do find it hilarious how people are angry that the person who created him is the person who killed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kal-L posted:

There are real world journalists who do the same in worse circumstances. It comes with the job. If only every journalist could be issued a bulletproof vest and a ex-Spetnaz bodyguard!
I don't see why hiring a security guard so criminals can't openly threaten people is so unreasonable.

quote:

when he's supposed to be a veteran journalist who's walked the mean streets of NYC, where superpowered homicidal crazies can jump at you at any moment.

Which is probably why he got scared. He knows that there are people like the Purple Man who can kill by saying a word or Elektra who killed a man sitting next to him. I don't see refusing to write an article is all that damning considering those circumstances.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

He knew he was going to die and he went out trying to take Norman down. I do find it hilarious how people are angry that the person who created him is the person who killed him.

I'd hate to see those people reading real literature where people die all the time, for good.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Alhazred posted:

I don't see why hiring a security guard so criminals can't openly threaten people is so unreasonable.

Which is probably why he got scared. He knows that there are people like the Purple Man who can kill by saying a word or Elektra who killed a man sitting next to him. I don't see refusing to write an article is all that damning considering those circumstances.

It's the Kingpin. The security guard is also on his payroll.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I'd hate to see those people reading real literature where people die all the time, for good.

I am pretty sure anyone who has ever liked a character in any medium gets sad when they die and there won't be any more story involving that character. It would be a failure of the writing if people didn't have emotional responses to the death of characters.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

The fact that Bendis wrote Ultimate JJJ's whole story from start to finish does not excuse that whole last Peter revival story (which included JJJ's death) from sucking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

The fact that Bendis wrote Ultimate JJJ's whole story from start to finish does not excuse that whole last Peter revival story (which included JJJ's death) from sucking.

It's okay. Ultimate Peter was murdered by a vampire a few days later. Even if he survived that he'll be dead when his universe dies.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Alhazred posted:

Imagine if Woodward and Bernstein got too scared to tell the truth because they were against the President of the United States of America. Commander in Chief of the most powerful army, able to call on the CIA, FBI, NSA... Some truths are just too big to stay quiet. And also...

AnonSpore posted:

It's the Kingpin. The security guard is also on his payroll.

That's the answer. Criminals being able to have ANYONE on their payroll is not exactly extreme comic-book suspension of disbelief, you know?

Doesn't mean that, when faced with incredible odds, people should just stay quiet and not try to do the right thing. :colbert:

Going back to JJJ being awesome, in Marvel vs. DC #4 he, along with Perry White, told the Kingpin to his face that he wouldn't tolerate him threatening his reporters. Especially that poor, nerdy Clark Kent! :v:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I didn't read USM past Mark Bagley's departure and/or Harry Osborn's death (or has that been retconned too?) and I'm still kinda mad at Bendis for killing off Gwen Stacy the way he did.

And now this has me thinking about why on earth the movies didn't entirely pilfer from the Ultimate Spidey and have Gwen and Mary Jane be like those incarnations, where they had some personality.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kal-L posted:

Doesn't mean that, when faced with incredible odds, people should just stay quiet and not try to do the right thing. :colbert:

It also means that people who aren't ready to die in order to publish an article are assholes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

VagueRant posted:

I didn't read USM past Mark Bagley's departure and/or Harry Osborn's death (or has that been retconned too?) and I'm still kinda mad at Bendis for killing off Gwen Stacy the way he did.

And now this has me thinking about why on earth the movies didn't entirely pilfer from the Ultimate Spidey and have Gwen and Mary Jane be like those incarnations, where they had some personality.

Gwen Stacy got better, Harry didn't.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Deadpool #45. It's the final issue of the Duggan/Posehn run and it begins with a story ending with Deadpool's death. Then there's a bunch of backup stories about his supporting cast and the giant issue ends with a forgotten Infinity Gauntlet tie-in where Deadpool stole the Gauntlet and held a roast, hosted by Howard the Duck.

:smith:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Who are those two guys in the alley at the end? Surely they're significant.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Apocron posted:

Who are those two guys in the alley at the end? Surely they're significant.

Just look like a couple of shlubs to me.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Gavok posted:

"Kid, I was you before you came along."

:vince:

Holy poo poo, I gotta get that one.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Who are those two guys in those pictures?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Who are those two guys in those pictures?

The writers. Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed people would know that.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Is he at least married to the super awesome monster queen? :smith:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Captain Bravo posted:

:vince:

Holy poo poo, I gotta get that one.
Shame She-Hulk didn't also walk into the scene too

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The ending of the main story is pretty :smith:, too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Thor Annual: After the last arc of Thor God of Thunder, Thor restored life to Earth after it had been long dead. Yet Earth's restoration seems to be not going so well and Thor's unhappy, so his granddaughters are getting together to cheer him up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Excuse me, Thor, the Bible says ADAM and EVE, not JANE and STEVE.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm just trying to picture how making a book with like, actual, photo-realistic pictures ancient makes it so you think zebras have fly wings.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It seems more like they were thinking, "Ugh, look at all these stupid wingless creatures. As long as we're starting from scratch, let's get this poo poo right." :v:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Endless Mike posted:

Excuse me, Thor, the Bible says ADAM and EVE, not JANE and STEVE.

Jane Foster and Steve Rogers?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Parahexavoctal posted:

Jane Foster and Steve Rogers?

Good for you. You got it. Have a cookie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

Good for you. You got it. Have a cookie.

The other guy seemed not to understand why Thor might name his first 2 humans Jane and Steve, pointing it out seems pretty obvious. It's not like the Norse All-Father nee God of Thunder would give a poo poo about English translations of the Bible.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

The other guy seemed not to understand why Thor might name his first 2 humans Jane and Steve, pointing it out seems pretty obvious. It's not like the Norse All-Father nee God of Thunder would give a poo poo about English translations of the Bible.

:thejoke:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Calaveron posted:

I'm just trying to picture how making a book with like, actual, photo-realistic pictures ancient makes it so you think zebras have fly wings.
Would you pass up the opportunity to restore dignity to the poor platypus? Or perhaps make a bitching WAR OTTER?

Fly-winged Zebras and Predator-horned Elephants are the least abominable abomination on my garden of eden list, bucko.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, but it's a reference to homophobic responses to gay marriage, so thinking the other guy didn't understand the panels is a little more generous than thinking he was making a call back to rightwing assholes circa 2006.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but it's a reference to homophobic responses to gay marriage, so thinking the other guy didn't understand the panels is a little more generous than thinking he was making a call back to rightwing assholes circa 2006.

:spergin::goonsay:

I couldn't decide which one is more appropriate so have both.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I am so confused

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The joke told was so old the standard humorous response was to not acknowledge it was a joke.

IE.

Why'd the chicken cross the road?

Why do any of us do anything? I mean is free will real or are we all just responding in a predetermined manner laboring under the delusion we have any influence in our choices?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

TwoPair posted:

Thor Annual: After the last arc of Thor God of Thunder, Thor restored life to Earth after it had been long dead. Yet Earth's restoration seems to be not going so well and Thor's unhappy, so his granddaughters are getting together to cheer him up.

All-Father Thor has the best granddaughters. :unsmith:

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Skwirl posted:

Unless it was really obviously a joke. Which it was.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jokes on my comedy website forum? Why I never!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
from some Duke Nukem comic where he time travels to WW2;

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That is a perfect example of being so dumb it loops back around to being awesome.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There's a Duke Nukem comic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah and it owns