Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
In Iron Keep, there's a chest in the upper area of the big room with the lever that lets you dunk everything in lava. I vaguely remembered there being a mimic around, so I smacked it once, and then some dickhead knight shot an arrow and broke it. Does anyone know what was in it? This is in SotFS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Cicadalek posted:

In Iron Keep, there's a chest in the upper area of the big room with the lever that lets you dunk everything in lava. I vaguely remembered there being a mimic around, so I smacked it once, and then some dickhead knight shot an arrow and broke it. Does anyone know what was in it? This is in SotFS.

I remember it being something totally useless. I think it was 15 Fire Greatarrows.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I've started checking wooden chests by parrying with my shield. It does no damage and costs no durability, but it doesn't actually wake up mimics. You can tell that a chest is real if your shield makes a noise when it hits it; although for some reason there's a ton of false negatives with metal chests.

e: vvvvv you can also see the teeth through the crack if you angle the camera right. Bopping it with a shield feels faster than playing with the camera though.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 19, 2015

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The easiest way to check is to just look at the front. Wooden Mimics have padlocks, while metal Mimics have two distinctive latches.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There's a regular chest in Black Gulch that has that clasp actually. Made me do a double-take the first time I saw it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Chests are safe unless there's a padlock, in which case you should throw a Lloyd's Talisman at it to double-check. Easy peasy rule to remember.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I immediately ascetic'd sinner's rise for flame weapon. I have never had as much fun summoning white phantoms to their clueless deaths.

e: Dark Souls SotFS (Season of the Flexile Sentry)

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Has anyone had trouble getting summon signs to appear? I don't mean one or two in particular, just in general. I'm human, online and unrestricted and I'm seeing no signs anywhere even though I'm summoned nearly immediately to help others. It's annoying because I don't want to solo two pursuers.

I had a problem earlier with another goon, now I can't at all.
e: I'm at the King's Gate bonfire, which I just ascetic'd. I feel like I should still see summon signs because I ascetic'd...right?

fennesz fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 19, 2015

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Oh goddamnit they brought the wheel guys back in ice porcupine form

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Oh goddamnit they brought the wheel guys back in ice porcupine form
Thankfully, they're not too difficult to knock out unless you get careless/they surprise you. I prefer to cheese the poo poo out of them with poison arrows where possible, but a shield and spear/halberd will also allow you to poke them relatively safely.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I got the ashen mist heart and joined the dragon remnants with my low SM minotaur named "The Minotaur". It is amazing how many dragon eye duels I get, even at 2:30 AM, just putting my eye in heide tower. I guess it is hard to resist trying your luck at this.

At 147k SM I am right at the top end of bracket 10, so anybody from 40k SM to 300k SM can see my eye. Granted, most people don't do that well, because a +5 craftsman hammer is a hard thing to fight at this SM. I don't have any magic or other upgraded gear.

I did get invaded by another twink, using velstadt's hammer and hexes. He went down to the craftsman hammer as he was trying to cast a hex.

A couple of times I also got summoned by people who obviously had no idea what it was, and continued to go on and fight enemies. They ended up with a rude surprise.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 19, 2015

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Craftsman Hammer is a legit really good weapon. It hits really drat hard for how quickly it strikes and how broad the area is. I can never resist using one for a good portion of all my melee-oriented playthroughs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My left hand sickle, right hand craftsman hammer loadout pretty much proved that Lenin was right all along in a roundabout way.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I've defeated the Big Four (Sinner, Iron King, Freya, Rotten), lit all the primal fires, and picked up all 4 great souls, but I do not get to meet Aldia at the Black Gulch (which I did last of the 4).

I did swap the Sinner's soul with Ornifex before killing Rotten and kindling the last Primal Bonfire. Please tell me this doesn't lock you out of all of Aldia's content.

Is there any other condition to be met beyond defeating the 4, grabbing their great souls, and lighting all 4 primal fires?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

v1ld posted:

I've defeated the Big Four (Sinner, Iron King, Freya, Rotten), lit all the primal fires, and picked up all 4 great souls, but I do not get to meet Aldia at the Black Gulch (which I did last of the 4).

I did swap the Sinner's soul with Ornifex before killing Rotten and kindling the last Primal Bonfire. Please tell me this doesn't lock you out of all of Aldia's content.

Is there any other condition to be met beyond defeating the 4, grabbing their great souls, and lighting all 4 primal fires?

He should just show up when you light the last primal bonfire. Try the Black Gulch bonfire again, they made that the just in case place for people who were further in before the patch hit. Even if he doesn't show his content is basically nothing so w/e.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

He should just show up when you light the last primal bonfire. Try the Black Gulch bonfire again, they made that the just in case place for people who were further in before the patch hit. Even if he doesn't show his content is basically nothing so w/e.

But my ~* lore *~

I'm liking SotFS a lot so far. I was somewhat disappointed at DS2's initial release because, while the mechanics and engine are mostly way better than the first 2, the world/plot/characters/lore felt flatter. Having played through more than once, all that matters now is the gameplay and encounters and that plays so very, very well in this edition.

It's neat to get a blind run through of areas you already know well. Some of them have been reworked to be far better, too - The Gutter in particular feels way better, and I liked the original (and Blighttown!). Noticing and getting to the chest with the Dark Armor/Lightning Winged Spear was fun. Having incentive to use the torch in a bunch of zones now and not just for fighting the darkness is neat. Tseldora/Brightstone Cove really benefit from it.

Will go back to Black Gulch, but I suspect turning Lost Sinner's soul, purified through untold ages of suffering as it was, into a sword that I'll probably never use may have locked me out of Aldia.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

Craftsman Hammer is a legit really good weapon. It hits really drat hard for how quickly it strikes and how broad the area is. I can never resist using one for a good portion of all my melee-oriented playthroughs.
For sure. I went the persuer path to get to the bastille and the agape ring, rather than no man's. I just summoned some help for pursuer, and I immediately made my way to McDuff. I am being super careful about spending my souls to keep this guy low for whatever reason. All of my souls have gone into leveling and upgrading the craftsman hammer. None have been lost to death, and I have made it to getting the ashen mist heart. I just wanted a single, early weapon I could use to progress with while I decided what I was going to do. It is hard to beat either the craftsman hammer or rapier for that purpose, and since I wanted to go strength for this guy, I was thinking craftsman hammer.

I am still probably going to level him. I just wanted to play around in tier 10 for a while. Probably try to get a slightly more minotaur-appropriate weapon on him. Personally, when I think of minotaur, I think big axe. I was thinking about the drakekeeper greataxe. I like the look of it.

He is wearing mastodon gauntlets and leggings, since I like the hoof-like appearence, even if the color doesn't exactly match. The colors get washed out a bit as a phantom anyway.

In hindsight I do wish I had darkened his skin a bit more. There needs to be some sort of dark souls 2 character restyle salon.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 19, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

v1ld posted:

But my ~* lore *~

I'm liking SotFS a lot so far. I was somewhat disappointed at DS2's initial release because, while the mechanics and engine are mostly way better than the first 2, the world/plot/characters/lore felt flatter. Having played through more than once, all that matters now is the gameplay and encounters and that plays so very, very well in this edition.

It's neat to get a blind run through of areas you already know well. Some of them have been reworked to be far better, too - The Gutter in particular feels way better, and I liked the original (and Blighttown!). Noticing and getting to the chest with the Dark Armor/Lightning Winged Spear was fun. Having incentive to use the torch in a bunch of zones now and not just for fighting the darkness is neat. Tseldora/Brightstone Cove really benefit from it.

Will go back to Black Gulch, but I suspect turning Lost Sinner's soul, purified through untold ages of suffering as it was, into a sword that I'll probably never use may have locked me out of Aldia.

I had consumed all the great souls except for Freja's one and I still got him to appear. I dunno what's wrong.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lighting all of the primal bonfires is what makes Aldia appear. He shows up at the last one you light no matter which it is. After that he'll periodically scare the poo poo out of you by exploding out of bonfires elsewhere on the critical path until the end of the game.

edit: Note that a couple times he asks you yes/no questions, but they don't actually influence anything, they're just there for flavor.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

He's not showing up for me even on going back to Black Gulch and Brightstone's fires. I'll revisit each of them in the order I did them and see if that fixes it.

The Forlorn was kind enough to invade in the spider web room before Freya's even though the boss was long dead so maybe I'll unlock some more of their gear while making the tour.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I remember Drangleic Castle being kinda cool when I first played this game but man does it seem really boring and bland now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

I remember Drangleic Castle being kinda cool when I first played this game but man does it seem really boring and bland now.

At least they filled it out a little more. Before, it was a bunch of completely disconnected hallways that also had nothing in them.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

I just upgraded to SOTFS. I played through the vanilla months ago, and went back to Dark Souls. With Sins I'm back and want to give it a real go. I would like to dual wield curved swords (so far Scimitars) and focus on Sorcery. Is it even going to be worth doing this, since I need 1.5x the requirements to power stance? I wanted to just infuse Magic to them, and pump my int as high up as I could. I have 24 dex just to accomplish this, so it feels like this might be a waste.

Any recommendations on a set of curved swords, maybe something with lower req's and I'll re-do my stats?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Binge posted:

Is it even going to be worth doing this, since I need 1.5x the requirements to power stance?

Curved swords don't have very high stat requirements, especially if you stick to scimitars proper (or even falchions). Beyond that, the issue is you're going to want to focus on one of those two things exclusively for a while, otherwise you're going to end up being pretty bad at two things instead of good at one.

The only real problem is that you won't be able to use Crystal Magic Weapon on both of your weapons since Blue Flame is a straight sword.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

v1ld posted:

He's not showing up for me even on going back to Black Gulch and Brightstone's fires. I'll revisit each of them in the order I did them and see if that fixes it.

Turns out I didn't hit the old iron king primal bonfire. I farmed up the medals for the sun sword with the agape ring after beating OIK and I must've forgotten to walk down and light the fire.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So what exactly would I get if I pay just the 20 bux to upgrade the steam version to scholar of the first sin? Every site I read gives miss information as to what is actually additional from what the patch gave out months back. I know you get dx 11 and the multiplayer cap is now up 5 additional people, but anything else I can't seem to trust. I sadly have not tried out the patched content, but I planned to soon and was weighing the need of the purchase.

EDIT: Do the two versions interact at all? I wonder how viable the community is still, especially if there is a split in the community between the two versions, and with the release of bloodborne.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 19, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
New enemy/item placement, DX11, higher co-op cap, DLC included. The two versions do not interact at all as they're allegedly on totally separate engines that can't talk to each other.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo I can't believe I actually had issues with the Demon of Song at one point.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo I can't believe I actually had issues with the Demon of Song at one point.

The Demon of Song managed to kill me once after I killed it about a dozen times because I never ever saw it's five hit combo until... well. It happened. Most embarrassing experience of my life.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

IGgy IGsen posted:

The Demon of Song managed to kill me once after I killed it about a dozen times because I never ever saw it's five hit combo until... well. It happened. Most embarrassing experience of my life.

Same here - I blame it entirely on having accidentally brought a summoned NPC in. Like Freja, the fight becomes absolutely trivial once you understand how the AI works.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Filthy Monkey posted:

In hindsight I do wish I had darkened his skin a bit more. There needs to be some sort of dark souls 2 character restyle salon.

That's one of the things I've really wished for a couple of times. It's a shame that soul vessels don't let you just do a full "restart".

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
So the more I play SotFS the more I feel like this is a sort of apology for the original game, albeit a paid one. Most of the changes I've noticed seem to have been made to correct design mistakes in the original:
  • DX11. Am I crazy or was it kind of ridiculous that this wasn't supported from the get-go?
  • More turtle men pre Iron Keep other than the one guarding the area leading to the Pursuer. HotG felt less boring in general from the increased enemy variety (not by much, mind).
  • Getting to the Cathedral of blue actually feels rewarding what with the new dragon and enraged Heide Knights after killing the Dragonrider.
  • That new shortcut in No-Man's Wharf that lets you run straight to the boss, holy poo poo. And they removed that nonsense ambush by 30 pirates that ensues when you walk up to the boat, thank loving christ.
  • Speaking of No-Man's Wharf - this zone really impressed on me just how important the torch mechanic is in some of the level design. In the base game with the old lighting engine, I pretty much ignored torches and braziers because it was already easy enough to see the stage. In SotfS I could barely see a few feet in front of me, and I rolled into the water and got shanked a few times because it was so damned dark. It was satisfying to light up the level and watch my completion increase when I scanned the place over after every trek back from the bonfire. And spending that Lockstone on the overhead chandelier/torch/thing felt pretty valuable.
  • The key for the bonfire hut that Creighton is stuck in is located in an area that was strangely empty last game, as if they'd had a plan for it but... just didn't follow through for some reason.
I'm hoping the quality bump is the same throughout, but there's a part of me that thinks the base game should've been SotFS, minus the expansions and new stuff that I've not yet seen.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I've been playing SotFS for a few hours and I can't believe they charged money for it. The only change I've noticed that affects the game at all is that you have to progress through each of the paths out of Majula bit by bit and bounce between them. If you've played through the DLC and are on the fence I wouldn't bother picking it up.

Can't beeline through the game as easily... a couple annoying encounters removed... enemies that are WAY too hard super early in the game. That was kind of fun actually. I spent a lot of my time in the forest running away.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Chumpy posted:

Speaking of No-Man's Wharf - this zone really impressed on me just how important the torch mechanic is in some of the level design. In the base game with the old lighting engine, I pretty much ignored torches and braziers because it was already easy enough to see the stage. In SotfS I could barely see a few feet in front of me, and I rolled into the water and got shanked a few times because it was so damned dark. It was satisfying to light up the level and watch my completion increase when I scanned the place over after every trek back from the bonfire. And spending that Lockstone on the overhead chandelier/torch/thing felt pretty valuable.

When I played the orginal DS2 for the first time I was playing on a really awful TV. The image was so dark that when I first entered No-Man's Wharf I had the same experience, couldn't see more than a few feet infront of me. It was the first area I had to use the torch for and it really is an area designed around the lighting and torch mechanics. It was so much fun and was one of my favorite DS's memories and areas.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

a dog from hell posted:

I've been playing SotFS for a few hours and I can't believe they charged money for it. The only change I've noticed that affects the game at all is that you have to progress through each of the paths out of Majula bit by bit and bounce between them. If you've played through the DLC and are on the fence I wouldn't bother picking it up.

Can't beeline through the game as easily... a couple annoying encounters removed... enemies that are WAY too hard super early in the game. That was kind of fun actually. I spent a lot of my time in the forest running away.

Yeah, for a starter player, the DX11 version might be a LITTLE too hard at the beginning. But I think it evens out from there - I had no desire to replay anything that wasn't the DLC, SOTFS changed that.

Chumpy posted:

So the more I play SotFS the more I feel like this is a sort of apology for the original game, albeit a paid one. Most of the changes I've noticed seem to have been made to correct design mistakes in the original:
  • DX11. Am I crazy or was it kind of ridiculous that this wasn't supported from the get-go?
  • More turtle men pre Iron Keep other than the one guarding the area leading to the Pursuer. HotG felt less boring in general from the increased enemy variety (not by much, mind).
  • Getting to the Cathedral of blue actually feels rewarding what with the new dragon and enraged Heide Knights after killing the Dragonrider.
  • That new shortcut in No-Man's Wharf that lets you run straight to the boss, holy poo poo. And they removed that nonsense ambush by 30 pirates that ensues when you walk up to the boat, thank loving christ.
  • Speaking of No-Man's Wharf - this zone really impressed on me just how important the torch mechanic is in some of the level design. In the base game with the old lighting engine, I pretty much ignored torches and braziers because it was already easy enough to see the stage. In SotfS I could barely see a few feet in front of me, and I rolled into the water and got shanked a few times because it was so damned dark. It was satisfying to light up the level and watch my completion increase when I scanned the place over after every trek back from the bonfire. And spending that Lockstone on the overhead chandelier/torch/thing felt pretty valuable.
  • The key for the bonfire hut that Creighton is stuck in is located in an area that was strangely empty last game, as if they'd had a plan for it but... just didn't follow through for some reason.
I'm hoping the quality bump is the same throughout, but there's a part of me that thinks the base game should've been SotFS, minus the expansions and new stuff that I've not yet seen.

The zone where Creighton's key is used to have an ambush and a cristal lizard. You'd see the lizard, chase after it, and get attacked by the hidden guys. Merciless Roana and a key are a better use of that zone in my opinion.

Also, I don't remember so many pirates. Maybe 3 or so. :v:

Azran fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 19, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Azran posted:

Yeah, for a starter player, the DX11 version might be a LITTLE too hard at the beginning. But I think it evens out from there - I had no desire to replay anything that wasn't the DLC, SOTFS changed that.

A lot. A lot too hard.

Great game past that awful hump though.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Blooming Brilliant posted:

When I played the orginal DS2 for the first time I was playing on a really awful TV. The image was so dark that when I first entered No-Man's Wharf I had the same experience, couldn't see more than a few feet infront of me. It was the first area I had to use the torch for and it really is an area designed around the lighting and torch mechanics. It was so much fun and was one of my favorite DS's memories and areas.

Yeah I originally played it on a monitor that doesn't do blacks so great so I couldn't see poo poo in dark areas, but it added a lot of atmosphere to the wharf and Drangleic. Playing SotFS on my plasma though I can see just fine without a torch. Not sure that I want to go stumbling through the dark again though so I'm not complaining.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Am I missing something? In Drangleic castle, after the dragon riders there's this room. None of the stone soldiers activate, but signs say try luring it out, so I pulled in the manikin soldiers from the next room and killed them directly in front of the golem. Nothing happens, the souls go into me. I've tried this a couple of times now, restarting the game, dying, etc etc. No luck. There's no other enemy that can be lured into the room, either they tether or can't fit through the door.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cicadalek posted:

Am I missing something? In Drangleic castle, after the dragon riders there's this room. None of the stone soldiers activate, but signs say try luring it out, so I pulled in the manikin soldiers from the next room and killed them directly in front of the golem. Nothing happens, the souls go into me. I've tried this a couple of times now, restarting the game, dying, etc etc. No luck. There's no other enemy that can be lured into the room, either they tether or can't fit through the door.

You're supposed to kill the manikins in front of the statue, and the souls go into the statue which then wakes up and turns the key like the others do. So you're doing the right thing, it's just not working for some reason. All I can really say is to try rolling away from the manikins while they're dying next to the statue so that their souls don't have a chance to go into you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cicadalek posted:

If thats your screenshot it looks like the golem already turned the thing in front of him which activates that elevator after the bonfire that you start at near there.