Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I remember hearing Groogy saying something along the lines of the next DLC being about the legends of the Middle Ages, like Excalibur and stuff. Maybe we'll get a named weapon system like in that mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I remember hearing Groogy saying something along the lines of the next DLC being about the legends of the Middle Ages, like Excalibur and stuff. Maybe we'll get a named weapon system like in that mod?

I guess they got ideas from the Game of Thrones mod.

(Either way it'll make that mod better)

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Could the devs do a pass to have more counts at bookmark starts? There are fewer than you'd think, and a lot of dukes and kings start over demense limit.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Poland practiced a form of quarantine that worked pretty well, that could be a historical model.

Wasn't Poland largely helped as well by having a fairly spread out population with large forests and fields between cities compared to the rest of Europe at the time?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Spakstik posted:

I won't go into more detail, because even though I've spent an inordinate amount of time thinking about this, it's ultimately pointless theorycrafting. Playable theocracies just seem like one of the few directions left open for the next DLC, since I'm guessing further map expansions are unlikely given how the addition of India tanked performance for a lot of people, and the current earliest start date is already pushing against the historical boundaries of feudalism.

There's still plenty of expansion material to be had with making heresies and unpopular religions more interesting. Right now only about four heresies have anything really going for them. Making each one have more interesting mechanics to them and lots more flavor events and things would improve it dramatically. You could lump it into theocracies, but that's so big it could be a thing all it's own. Plus, there's West African, possibly the worst religion in the game, which is a huge shame.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Also some more bookmarks for variety in earlier periods. Like, drat son, I am pretty dang tired of the early game ones and the later ones are sometimes so blobby. :(

Fun for gimmick runs though; although the mongols are loving broken these days and lame.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Pretty sure I've got all the kinks involved in quarantining worked out, so I'm moving on to flavor events.

Here are some ideas of mine.

1. Infected village
a. Send monks to help the sick -> monks die and you lose prestige for losing them, but you get piety and a possibility of gaining the Kind trait for your kindness.
b. Burn down the village -> village burns but you stem the plague there, gaining you prestige and a possibility of gaining Cruel. You lose piety for this.
c. Do nothing -> Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

2. Religious doubts.
a. God is dead -> lose piety, possibility of gaining Cynical
b. This is a test of our faith -> gain piety, possibility of gaining Zealous
c. I've got no idea. -> NV, NG

I can't think of any others at the moment, so help is appreciated once again.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also some more bookmarks for variety in earlier periods. Like, drat son, I am pretty dang tired of the early game ones and the later ones are sometimes so blobby. :(

Fun for gimmick runs though; although the mongols are loving broken these days and lame.

Look up the 945 bookmark, it's dope as poo poo.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Fuligin posted:

How's the rest of Monotheism Rising? I'm quite curious about it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

catlord posted:

How's the rest of Monotheism Rising? I'm quite curious about it.

No idea, I only played 945 before it got merged in. In general I'm pretty leery of CK2 modding these days though, feels like spergs are running the asylum now.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Fuligin posted:

No idea, I only played 945 before it got merged in. In general I'm pretty leery of CK2 modding these days though, feels like spergs are running the asylum now.

I'm starting to feel the same way. I just want mods that add new features, not mods that change literally everything in the game. If I wanted that, I'd play After the End, Game of Thrones, or Lux Invicta.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Fuligin posted:

:mad:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gorelab posted:

Wasn't Poland largely helped as well by having a fairly spread out population with large forests and fields between cities compared to the rest of Europe at the time?

If memory serves Poland was more sparsely populated in general and didn't have cities nearly as huge as the rest of Europe. I seem to remember reading that one of the biggest things that led to the black plague being so nasty was that a poo poo load of people were living crammed together into tight quarters while never bothering to clean anything. It hit densely populated areas the hardest because they were significantly filthier. One of the biggest issues western Europe ran into when it comes to plagues is that a lot of the land was really, really good for growing gently caress loads of food which meant there would be more people. Dense populations have major issues with plagues. Eastern Europe just flat out had less fertile land and fewer people. Pretty sure Poland itself is pretty hilly and mountainous which didn't make it all that good for farming and city building.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Maybe the effects/decisions regarding the plague could be affected by the province tax wealth? So a poor/undeveloped province would be easier to quarantine or just be hit less hard, while the densely built provinces of Italy/France/Britain/etc would be smashed.

Maybe add in terrain effects too, so mountains and forests hinder the plague while plains and coasts (sea ports) accelerate it.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves Poland was more sparsely populated in general and didn't have cities nearly as huge as the rest of Europe. I seem to remember reading that one of the biggest things that led to the black plague being so nasty was that a poo poo load of people were living crammed together into tight quarters while never bothering to clean anything. It hit densely populated areas the hardest because they were significantly filthier. One of the biggest issues western Europe ran into when it comes to plagues is that a lot of the land was really, really good for growing gently caress loads of food which meant there would be more people. Dense populations have major issues with plagues. Eastern Europe just flat out had less fertile land and fewer people. Pretty sure Poland itself is pretty hilly and mountainous which didn't make it all that good for farming and city building.

I live in Poland, the last part of this is completely wrong: most of the country is very, very flat (hence the later cavalry tradition) and it has some of Europe's best farmland. It's true that in the Middle Ages it was indeed densely forested, although less because of an inhospitable climate and more because it was late to the civilization party and still in the process of being cleared and developed. Plus the 14th century was a time of recovery after a long period of fragmentation and constant Game of Thrones-style multi-sided, backstabby internecine war, which did lower the population count and sever trade links.

Anyway, the way I was taught it in school is that why the Black Death was so merciful to us is just one of those mysteries that perplex the gently caress out of historians. So far nobody has come up with a satisfying answer. Low population density, relatively less participation in trade and small cities are all valid factors, but they're not enough to explain it. Despite the civil war and such, places like Russia and Scandinavia were still even more sparse and isolated, and they were hit much, much worse by the plague. The quarantine theory is also not great, as royal power and rule of law were only being restored at the time, and king Casimir simply wouldn't have had the control necessary to effectively shut off an entire kingdom.

All we can do is speculate, but there's no accepted consensus on why the country did so well. It's probably that a bunch of minor, hard-to-trace factors aligned just right in such a way that Poland got really, incredibly lucky. (Now there's a sentence you don't see very often in history)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Guildencrantz posted:

Anyway, the way I was taught it in school is that why the Black Death was so merciful to us is just one of those mysteries that perplex the gently caress out of historians.

Good karma from the Statute of Kalisz?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

:woop: Quarantine is working exactly as I want it. Quarantine costs gold and prestige to activate, so you need to be pretty powerful to pull it off. Also, the quarantine will not stop the killings by the Black Death, but it seems to greatly reduce them. Just need to work on flavor events. It wouldn't be an apocalyptic mod without some spooky events, would it?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

hot drat, I'm actually excited for this mod. I wonder if there'll be fun for insane or possessed.

Government
Nov 2, 2004
Can anyone explain why using this no india mod (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-no-more-india.849228/)would cause the Charlemagne DLC to force everyone to use Indian unit models. I went through the dlc one by one and everyone was using their respective culture models until I turned Charlemagne back on and it would go back to using Indian models for everything.

It's not game breaking or anything but I'm trying to get CK2 to run better on my older laptop and it kinda annoying to see every model be the same thing.

Government fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 20, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Pretty sure I've got all the kinks involved in quarantining worked out, so I'm moving on to flavor events.

Here are some ideas of mine.

1. Infected village
a. Send monks to help the sick -> monks die and you lose prestige for losing them, but you get piety and a possibility of gaining the Kind trait for your kindness.
b. Burn down the village -> village burns but you stem the plague there, gaining you prestige and a possibility of gaining Cruel. You lose piety for this.
c. Do nothing -> Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

2. Religious doubts.
a. God is dead -> lose piety, possibility of gaining Cynical
b. This is a test of our faith -> gain piety, possibility of gaining Zealous
c. I've got no idea. -> NV, NG

Pagan religions could try sacrificing things to try and stop the plague. This could involve money, which would give prestige but do nothing; family, which would give an opinion bonus (with options to sacrifice your rival/hated dude) or nothing.

Fuligin posted:

Ach, I'm so lazy, I still haven't resigned in the forum and it's not on the workshop, uggghhh.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

• Maybe some plague doctors want to study the plague and you can go along with their proposal for some cultural tech but probably contribute to the spread of the plague because the doctors have no idea what they're doing.
  • Events related to dead in the streets and how you treat them, for more revolt risk if you burn the bodies or whatever but it maybe limits the spread.
  • A possible revolt by peasants who think you're not doing enough to stop the spread of the plague. The leader of the revolt is really strong, but has the plague himself.
  • If you have active mercenaries, they cancel their contract with you for fear of contracting the plague if you're a Plague King, or possibly turn on you if they perceive your rule to be weak and your people too sick to stop them.
  • If a vassal dies of the plague while you have the modifier maybe a decision on whether or not to permit the vassal's body to be viewed and buried as normal (which earns a tiny bit of respect back that you've lost from being a Plague King) or demand it be burned and dumped to potentially limit the spread of the plague while pissing off vassals further?
  • Another ruler with the Plague King modifier contacts you to figure out what to do about it. Be diplomatic for a relations boost and maybe even a friendship but turn away the diplomats and block off the border for a relations hit but a chance of slowing the plague.
  • If possible, if a noble vassal comes to power because their predecessor died of the plague while you're a Plague King, have them potentially become a Rival (basically the son blames you for dad's death so now he's out for blood on top of the relation penalty).
Some thoughts for Way of Life stuff:
  • RULERSHIP: Maybe you can take some particularly harsh measures that limit the plague's spread. If you have Administrator, you can do this without significant revolt risk or relations penalties.
  • BUSINESS: The opportunity to profit off the plague by seizing and selling property from dead people, at the risk of the plague spreading even further.
  • SEDUCTION: Your ruler has the foolish notion that a vigorous sex-filled lifestyle can ward off the plague. Bizarrely, if you indulge your passions he's right, but has a strong chance of catching a sexually-transmitted disease instead.
  • INTRIGUE: You can conspire to spread the plague deliberately to another realm.
  • HUNTING: The isolation of the focus potentially limits the risk of the ruler contracting the plague, though perhaps by event it's revealed he didn't catch it while he was out but someone in his court did.
  • WAR: You're given a chance for an event to give a claim on a neighbor whose realm is plague-ridden.
  • CAROUSING: You can commiserate with your vassals over drinks, lessening the penalties from Plague King.
  • FAMILY: Maybe some events if family members catch the plague with a chance to save them and/or gain useful traits.
  • SCHOLARSHIP: Events to potentially research the plague's spread and causes and identify what might be the source of it. At a low chance you might even be able to implement measures to slow it significantly if you can correctly identify the cause (but you might fail).
  • THEOLOGY: Some kind of event chain where your ruler becomes Zealous and is convinced he's living in the End Times, with the associated silly preparation that goes along with that. He might go nuts thinking the world is about to be plunged into supernatural war and builds a free improvement to his castle defenses or something, or believe himself to be one of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Nakar posted:

A possible revolt by peasants who think you're not doing enough to stop the spread of the plague. The leader of the revolt is really strong, but has the plague himself.

But thanks for the ideas.
This:

quote:

Maybe some plague doctors want to study the plague and you can go along with their proposal for some cultural tech but probably contribute to the spread of the plague because the doctors have no idea what they're doing.
This:

quote:

Events related to dead in the streets and how you treat them, for more revolt risk if you burn the bodies or whatever but it maybe limits the spread.
This:

quote:

Another ruler with the Plague King modifier contacts you to figure out what to do about it. Be diplomatic for a relations boost and maybe even a friendship but turn away the diplomats and block off the border for a relations hit but a chance of slowing the plague.
and this:

quote:

CAROUSING: You can commiserate with your vassals over drinks, lessening the penalties from Plague King.
all look quite interesting.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do family dues work?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

No not next one, but its certainly something we want to do.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Groogy posted:

No not next one, but its certainly something we want to do.

Good to hear there is not only a DLC planned coming up, but there are solid ideas for more on the horizon. Would the legends of the middle ages include things like sending out quests for the Holy Grail? Right now you have the event for buying holy fingers or something like that, and I really like that event because I find it funny. I would love if you added more flavour events for myth of the period.

Gonna go ahead and ask for the big scoop. Any idea when you will announce the basic idea of the next DLC? Like, dev diary sorta stuff. Figure it is worth asking even if you don't want to reveal it, haha.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Another Person posted:

Gonna go ahead and ask for the big scoop. Any idea when you will announce the basic idea of the next DLC? Like, dev diary sorta stuff. Figure it is worth asking even if you don't want to reveal it, haha.

Oh I've already announced it on the PDX forums during the weekends.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/any-juicy-next-dlc-gossip.851521/page-6#post-19192640

Since people didn't like my idea of North America Expansion I went with inspiration from The Sims instead.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Groogy posted:

Oh I've already announced it on the PDX forums during the weekends.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/any-juicy-next-dlc-gossip.851521/page-6#post-19192640

Since people didn't like my idea of North America Expansion I went with inspiration from The Sims instead.

my king already had a pet dog, tricky

please don't try and sell me pet dogs twice, having him die and building a pyramid in his honour already broke my heart and my national economy

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Another Person posted:

my king already had a pet dog, tricky

please don't try and sell me pet dogs twice, having him die and building a pyramid in his honour already broke my heart and my national economy

Well this expansion will also add so the pyramid will be shown on the map until game end.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Groogy posted:

Well this expansion will also add so the pyramid will be shown on the map until game end.

fucken sold

I will have every king take the hunting focus to get the dog, and every subsequent generation of my lineage will change the capital to a new province. Every county will have its own pyramid.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Another Person posted:

fucken sold

I will have every king take the hunting focus to get the dog, and every subsequent generation of my lineage will change the capital to a new province. Every county will have its own pyramid.

There'd best be an achievement for putting the Pharaohs to shame.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
The great pyramids of Gwynedd, Perfeddwlad and Powys shall be great tourist attractions for centuries to come.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I think one of my mods is a little buggy. :v:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
How stable and fun is CK2+ nowdays? Anyone here playing it?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
The plague mod absolutely, positively, needs flagellants.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is it possible to form Novgorod as a republic seeing as its not coastal?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

Is it possible to form Novgorod as a republic seeing as its not coastal?

You can but they won't be merchant republics that give you tons of cash because of trading ports. A republic needs access to the sea for that.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
How does the game handle cases where the Norsemen took over areas and became known by different name or became an entirely different culture? Like Russia or Normandy, for example. In the game I took to the 11th century, I saw some Norse in Scandinavia turn Swedish, but not all of them did and I've no idea what caused it. I haven't seen Russia or Normandie form in any game so I'm just curious.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

How does the game handle cases where the Norsemen took over areas and became known by different name or became an entirely different culture? Like Russia or Normandy, for example. In the game I took to the 11th century, I saw some Norse in Scandinavia turn Swedish, but not all of them did and I've no idea what caused it. I haven't seen Russia or Normandie form in any game so I'm just curious.

After 950 IIRC Norse characters get a decision to convert to a certain culture depending on the area they're in. Thus Norsemen in France can become Norman, Norsemen in Sweden can become Swedish, and Norsemen in Russia can become Russian etc.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

After 950 IIRC Norse characters get a decision to convert to a certain culture depending on the area they're in. Thus Norsemen in France can become Norman, Norsemen in Sweden can become Swedish, and Norsemen in Russia can become Russian etc.

As a Norseman in Finland i didn't get that option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I still just wish I could disband the HRE.

• Locked thread