Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Onry if you commentate with a hollibry offensive Japanese accent.

I misread this as "Hillbilly Japanese accent"

Do that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Leal posted:

Do that instead.

Do it while role-playing as one of the following:

Ken-Sama posted:

Gomenasai, my name is Ken-Sama.

I’m a 27 year old American Otaku (Anime fan for you gaijins). I draw Anime and Manga on my tablet, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Japanese games. (Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Persona series)

I train with my Katana every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.

I speak Japanese fluently, both Kanji and the Osaka dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Japanese history and their bushido code, which I follow 100%

When I get my Japanese visa, I am moving to Tokyo to attend a prestigious High School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become an animator for Studio Ghibli or a game designer!

I own several kimonos, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Japan, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my elders and seniors and speak Japanese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck in Japan!

"Kenichi Smith' posted:

Howdy /a/, my name is Kenichi Smith.

I'm a 27 year old Japanese Toonaholic (Cartoon fan for you foreigners). I draw cartoons and comics on my tablet, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior American games. (Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty)

I train with my 1911 every day, this superior weapon can shoot straight through steel because it kicks rear end, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my gun license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.

I speak English fluently, both the Midwestern and the East Coast accents, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about American history and their Constitution, which I follow 100%

When I get my American visa, I am moving to New York to attend a prestigious High School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become an animator for Nickelodeon or a game designer!

I own several cowboy outfits, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to America, so I can fit in easier. I keep cool to my elders and seniors and speak English as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck in America!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I think I've got this pretty solid by now but any last minute feedback would be appreciated.

A Tale of Arkham Origins: It Was The Best Of Batman, It Was The Worst Of Batman

Alternate thread title: The Arkham Horror

The Batman Arkham game series is a good series for good people. Rocksteady Studios managed to do something even Superman couldn't do: make a satisfying superhero game that's actually faithful to the hero in question, and it's still a very good gaming experience. Arkham Asylum in 2009 and Arkham City in 2011 garnered multiple Game of the Year awards for very good reasons.

Arkham Origins is neither of those games.

Batman: Arkham Origins is the 2013 prequel for Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Developed by Warner Brothers Games Montreal, many things changed and many things stayed the same but a little worse. Don't let me throw you off too much, Arkham Origins is solidly okay. But it's not up to the standard set by Asylum and City. Most of the additions to the game are well done, but the base framework is unpolished. There's quite a few baffling bugs that sometimes throw the playability into question, such as sinking into the ground in the middle of a combat challenge map. And there's also 3v3v2 multiplayer for reasons, which I won't be doing anything with.

I won't be getting 100% because this game doesn't really deserve it. I will be doing all of the side missions, including the Riddler challenges (yeah he's back). I will try to complete the Dark Knight Challenge System but I make no promises. I will be doing all of the challenge maps, probably a good mix with different characters. I'll also be doing the DLC, Cold Cold Heart.

:frogsiren: Spoilers
Arkham Asylum and City are behind me, so go for it. Please don't talk about stuff in Origins before it happens (you know what I'm talking about), and don't spoil anything on Arkham Knight. It'll be coming out in June and I probably won't done with this by then.

Videos

A (Prison) Break/Polsy

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Seems pretty solid, look forward to the thread!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I got a stupid question. Didn't there used to be a thread for short/mini-LPs?

I've found a relatively simplistic WW2 Tank Commander Roguelike I've discovered that I want to show off so more people know about it, but I don't really think it warrants its own LP thread (since I'd only play one or two lives at most). I swear there used to be a thread for this sort of thing, but I couldn't find it via the search or just scrolling back a few pages (but I don't remember the name so I probably missed it).

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
You could always throw it in the 2007 thread. They don't have to be bad to belong there. The point is to just make more casual, laid back, and/or smaller LPs.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I got a stupid question. Didn't there used to be a thread for short/mini-LPs?

I've found a relatively simplistic WW2 Tank Commander Roguelike I've discovered that I want to show off so more people know about it, but I don't really think it warrants its own LP thread (since I'd only play one or two lives at most). I swear there used to be a thread for this sort of thing, but I couldn't find it via the search or just scrolling back a few pages (but I don't remember the name so I probably missed it).

Short Game Theater was a thing to help people who had the mistaken impression that games had to be a certain length to warrant their own thread. They don't. There've been plenty of (completed) threads that were 3 pages long and had like 5 updates.

That said, there's nothing stopping you from starting a short game thread up again yourself if you want to rally some people to do a bunch of short games. It was certainly fun enough last time. :)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Leal posted:

Do that instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKthbnNacCw

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
So I guess there's not much of a point of doing a test post for this, but... well, the game I'm LPing, Lunar Walking School, is pretty boring and I've kind of wanted to make it a little more interesting and I'm not sure if it works or is obnoxious. So.

OP

Update

And uh... I didn't really noticed it until I saw it on the forum, but the portraits are way too small, aren't they? 64x80 does seem to be on the big side, though. Hm. And the screenshots are probably too small. x4 is way too big but x3 might be okay?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Both the portrait and screenshot sizes look acceptable to me. 3x would be okay too but even the 2x screenshots are very legible.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Same here, both portraits and screenshots look OK as they are.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
So, anyone who streams... (cross-posting from the stream thread)

So, heads-up with Twitch -

It looks like they've quietly changed things on VODS - looking at my recent VODs (example) it looks like they're only silencing the certain songs in question as opposed to the entire half hour block. That's something, I guess.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
so i put up a thread for heavy metal book two http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714128 and i forgot to change the thread tag. so it says poo poo POST, can i change that or is it stuck forever

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

corn in the bible posted:

so i put up a thread for heavy metal book two http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714128 and i forgot to change the thread tag. so it says poo poo POST, can i change that or is it stuck forever

You can't, but I can! What tag do you want?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I guess Sci-Fi, like the first one, that'd be awesome. Thanks, dude!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Sci-Fi it is.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Right on, dude, thanks!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Right, so I'm basically pretty new to this whole LP thing, been watching some gaming channels for a few years, but never have done my own, and so a few weeks ago I figure gently caress it why not and thought I'd record a few things. Some of it is stuff that everyone is doing, but I want to do some old jrpgs, and as I found my old copy of Lunar 2 in a box a while back, thought I'd start with that one. I started it a few weeks ago, but I've been a bit hesitant to post in here because being new to this, I'm not especially certain of the quality of what I'm doing and such, and I'm bad at games and also threads. Also there's already a Lunar 2 thread going it seems, though it's screenshot. So a few questions. Should I post this thread? If so, do I need an especially witty title? How bad at this am I? And are there any glaring technical problems or issues with my commentary that I don't sort out after the first couple of episodes? And anything else I'm forgetting.

[Note: I know there are some volume issues in the first two episodes on the cutscenes, and also just generally, but I think I got that sorted]

What is this game?

Lunar 2- Eternal Blue. It's an old jrpg, and a really jrpgy one at that. Swords and magic and I think maybe dragons and all that stuff. Also lots and lots of anime, which was still a novel thing to cram a game full of at the time.

What to expect?

Iunno, it's a 20 year old game, so expect that. I haven't played this game in over a decade, so I don't remember much aside from that it was a pretty good game. I'll be uploading two or three installments a week, so expect that as well. And I won't be following any sorts of guides, so if I miss some sort of cool secret, feel free to point that out, otherwise I won't know. Though keep in mind I record these mostly on the weekends ahead of the week they'll be posted, so I have no idea if I'll be able to go back and do whatever thing anyone points out.

Click below for videos

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

people may get on your case for doing a video lp of a jrpg, but if that's what you want to do you should just ignore them and do it

i'm can't watch 6 videos right now (or any), but my general advice would be to edit down a lot of the fluff - random encounters and the like. unless you're super charismatic it'll probably get boring.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

people may get on your case for doing a video lp of a jrpg, but if that's what you want to do you should just ignore them and do it

i'm can't watch 6 videos right now (or any), but my general advice would be to edit down a lot of the fluff - random encounters and the like. unless you're super charismatic it'll probably get boring.

Ah, see that's the kind of input I need. Didn't know not doing videos of jprgs was a thing. I mean, I'll be doing it anyway as I've already got eight videos uploaded, but if it's the sort of thing that doesn't really fit well here, I may just leave things be and just tick along without a thread (or viewers lol).

And as I don't think I'm especially charismatic, yeah, there's some cutting on the bits where it's just encounters, though I could probably stand to do a bit more than I have been.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Eight videos uploaded already makes it a dump, I would expect - highly frowned upon if the mods are in a good mood. When you're ready to start something new, come back and test it out here for feedback you can actually put into practice right away. In general, if you're not willing to throw away everything you've done already and redo it if a great idea leads you to believe that's the best way to proceed, you've done too much for a test post.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

ReidRansom posted:

Ah, see that's the kind of input I need. Didn't know not doing videos of jprgs was a thing. I mean, I'll be doing it anyway as I've already got eight videos uploaded, but if it's the sort of thing that doesn't really fit well here, I may just leave things be and just tick along without a thread (or viewers lol).

And as I don't think I'm especially charismatic, yeah, there's some cutting on the bits where it's just encounters, though I could probably stand to do a bit more than I have been.
Honestly, that was a lot better than I expected. I was expecting at any moment for you to start reading the on screen text or put on some goofy voice, but you didn't and I appreciate that. You also seemed to be into the game and have enough to say that you're easily carrying the videos along at a good pace. The only thing I'd say in regards to your commentary is that sometimes when you're going off on a tangent, you kinda go on for a bit too long (like there were some analogous jokes you were trying to make that just stretched on).

The only other bit of advice was pretty much what Cake Attack said and that you should edit out any repetitive fights. Take for instance near the end of the second video, you had almost three exact fights with five slimes and it wasn't the most exciting thing to watch (especially since you just let the game go into AI mode and that's brainless as gently caress). You easily could have just shown the initial fight, and just edited out the other two fights shaving about four minutes or more off the video. I mean leave in fights that are interesting or new, or maybe show off new abilities but it's easy enough to put in a fade to just skip the fight.

Otherwise I think my one last point would be, if you are going to make a thread, just don't use those image banners. It seems like a massive waste of space to have the same image over and over again with just a number difference, you can easily save space and not make your OP huge with repeating images if you just went with links rather than the banners.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah and use a header image that doesn't break tables, lol

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Seriously if people don't like it they just won't read your thread, and then you can stop doing it if you want. Who cares, go for it

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Niggurath posted:

Otherwise I think my one last point would be, if you are going to make a thread, just don't use those image banners. It seems like a massive waste of space to have the same image over and over again with just a number difference, you can easily save space and not make your OP huge with repeating images if you just went with links rather than the banners.

Yeah, links and meaningful titles (so people can find a particular episode if they want) would be a good way to go. You might want to start with less initial videos, too - six is quite a few to drop. Maybe keep a backlog so you can release a video a day if you want.

I really enjoyed this game back in the day, and I think a video LP is actually a good way to show it off (as it's got a lot of charm in the audio and animations).

Kloro fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 19, 2015

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

All excellent advice. Smaller header (I'm never sure what breaks tables these days), get rid of the thumbnails in favor of links, add descriptive titles, and be more aggressive on trimming out repetitive fights. I can do all that.

Just kind of still don't know where we stand on whether it's a dump or not. I've got eight recorded, but only six are live at the moment, and though I can't remember how long this game is, I'd imagine it could go at least 40 episodes even with heavy trimming.

Kloro posted:

I really enjoyed this game back in the day, and I think a video LP is actually a good way to show it off (as it's got a lot of charm in the audio and animations).

Same. It's been a long time since I last played it, such that I don't remember much about it, but I recall really liking it. And Silver Star of course.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I suppose the best way to avoid being called a dump would be to just start your thread with one video and then start posting the backlog you already uploaded onto youtube at the scheduled pace you have planned. Trimming fights shouldn't be that difficult. You can most likely only have the shown fight be against new enemy types for the first time and if you have new moves you want to show off. If the boss fights start taking a long time which they can in JRPGS. then just start editing the boss fight to show the highlights. At least that's the way I would work it. The only thing left then would be to find a way to convey level ups. That might be doable via a ticker at the bottom of the screen like you see on most news channels. But that's up to you.
Don't really worry about it if people don't post to your thread to often, it's just a thing that happens sometimes. As long as you are getting what you believe to be acceptable view counts then you should be fine.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 20, 2015

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
8 videos of a JRPG is barely baby steps into the beginning of the game, especially if they're not severely edited for time.

There's no reason why you have to post all the videos you've got uploaded in one go. You should feel free to space out actually posting the videos in the thread, so that people have time to talk about them in between.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

splice all the videos together

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Lol far too late for that, but even though they're already up on youtube, I suppose I can just post them in thread at an accelerated rate until it catches up. Just a few posts, really. Right, well, I'll start cooking it up then.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

ReidRansom posted:

Don't worry about that. There's currently a thread doing video LPs of the Final Fantasy series and people are happily enjoying it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FillInTheBlank posted:

Don't worry about that. There's currently a thread doing video LPs of the Final Fantasy series and people are happily enjoying it.

Cool cool.

Well, I've posted a thread, in any case. So, if it's your sort of thing, please enjoy!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I posted about a survey that someone made on Reddit about the let's play subculture some time ago (in the old Sandcastle, if I recall), and the person has posted the results and their study on the data.

I just stumbled upon it now and haven't had a chance to look at it, but this might be interesting so I decided to share here.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

FillInTheBlank posted:

Yeah, it's my opinion that there are really only two ways to do a jrpg in interesting ways via video: 1. You're an expert and break the game over your knee soundly from the start, or 2. You're semi-blind and talking through your thought processes and what the game seems to expect you to figure out, etc. The latter is how the two dudes doing the Final Fantasy series are doing it, and it's very entertaining. I'd almost definitely enjoy a series of FF videos taking every single opportunity to tear the CPU a new one. Pretty much any other approach sounds dull to me, video wise, and is probably why most people rely on screen shot LPs for RPGs.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Eh, there are good video JRPG LPs that aren't expert gimmick runs or semi-blind blunders. Youtube LPer Chuggaaconroy has an incredibly good video LP of Xenoblade finishing up right now, which he spent like a year planning. He doesn't gimmick it or break it, but he does show all possible outcomes to sidequests, and even has little sidebars he edits in to show where to get items for quests and such. He's also had a few years under his belt doing solo LPs to practice being engaging and such, granted. I don't think a huge JRPG video LP is necessarily a good first project.

(Of course, if Chugga had posted one of his videos here, he'd get a :getout: real quicklike, since he does things like reading text in funny voices, which is admittedly kind of cringeworthy. I kind of find him as a nice grounding counterexample to why SA's tastes and LP culture aren't always "the authority" on LPs)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Jsor posted:

Eh, there are good video JRPG LPs that aren't expert gimmick runs or semi-blind blunders. Youtube LPer Chuggaaconroy has an incredibly good video LP of Xenoblade finishing up right now, which he spent like a year planning. He doesn't gimmick it or break it, but he does show all possible outcomes to sidequests, and even has little sidebars he edits in to show where to get items for quests and such. He's also had a few years under his belt doing solo LPs to practice being engaging and such, granted. I don't think a huge JRPG video LP is necessarily a good first project.

(Of course, if Chugga had posted one of his videos here, he'd get a :getout: real quicklike, since he does things like reading text in funny voices, which is admittedly kind of cringeworthy. I kind of find him as a nice grounding counterexample to why SA's tastes and LP culture aren't always "the authority" on LPs)
You do know that there is currently a VLP of Xenoblade is going on right now in the forums and it's not getting any kind of flak, right? But it's because yeah, it's not got any goofy voices cause goofy voices are poo poo.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

As a person wrapping up a VLP of a JRPG, I can say another case for doing it is if the game in question has a lot of things that really should be seen in motion for the full effect. Mario and Luigi has many detailed animations and its battle system is something that is better seen in action than explained with screenshots, so it's more of a case-by-case thing the more recent the game in question was released. Action JRPGs lend themselves really well to video particularly and games like Xenoblade are soundly in that category.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

do jrpgs like me where you edit out so much of the gameplay every video is 30 minutes of cutscenes

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

Dryzen posted:

do jrpgs like me where you edit out so much of the gameplay every video is 30 minutes of cutscenes

and talk over every cutscene because holy poo poo the story in 100% of jrpgs is worse than spanish soap operas, also just don't do LPs of jrpgs so the genre can just die forever thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I810BUX posted:

and talk over every cutscene because holy poo poo the story in 100% of jrpgs is worse than spanish soap operas, also just don't do LPs of jrpgs so the genre can just die forever thx

gently caress off troll

this is not okay

• Locked thread