Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They were not Circus Peanuts Candy that theory was dumb. They were "peanuts like you get at circuses" aka normal real peanuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Sounds about as dumb as SBURB-created silos having cans of Tab in them, if you ask me.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Jesus poo poo you guys.

"Yes hello here is my thousand word dissertation dissecting a joke in panel 1488, line three."

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Color Printer posted:

But it didn't really mean anything. In that scenario he could have been killed literally any other way. It was a joke.

Yeah I know, I'm just sayin' :shobon:

I do like that they could've essentially done anything since they just jammed a goddamn handful of peanuts down his throat.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Jesus poo poo you guys.

"Yes hello here is my thousand word dissertation dissecting a joke in panel 1488, line three."

Hey don't blame me :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Jesus poo poo you guys.

Exactly.

This is what happens when you allow hooligans to roughhouse in your universe.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Tunicate posted:

Exactly.

There goes a long night of not re-reading Problem Sleuth.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Tunicate posted:

Exactly.

Oh my god problem sleuth was such a good comic

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Jesus poo poo you guys.

:raise:

Just...when you put it that way, all I think is I would much rather have pedants than white supremacists.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Carrasco posted:

Just...when you put it that way, all I think is I would much rather have pedants than white supremacists.
Yes, and I'd rather have Homestuck than a slap in the belly with a wet mackerel. Not sure how the two above are connected. Anyway, I'm a fan, overanalysis is part of how I have fun. Some people have model railroads or fantasy football leagues; I argue about whether that Buffy/Spike scene really was attempted rape. (Spoiler: it was.)

I honestly don't get the hatred of analysis/fanfic/fanart/cosplay around here. People have hobbies. People get obsessive about hobbies. Hobbies don't have as much value to observers as they do to participants. Film at eleven.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

1488 is a white supremacist number in the same way that 420 is a stoner number, hth

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I honestly don't get the hatred of analysis/fanfic/fanart/cosplay around here.

Because the only way to make sure people know you're cool is to make fun of people who like the same things you like.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CuddlyZombie posted:

1488 is a white supremacist number in the same way that 420 is a stoner number, hth
:ohdear: I am the dumb one, it is me.

e: Also, this is by far the best 4/13 art tribute I've seen. Note esp. Terezi's hand.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 18, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Arsenic Lupin posted:

:ohdear: I am the dumb one, it is me.

e: Also, this is by far the best 4/13 art tribute I've seen. Note esp. Terezi's hand.

I'm John's pajama shirt somehow locked in time for a dread eternity.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

curiousTerminal posted:

Because the only way to make sure people know you're cool is to make fun of people who like the same things you like.

If we talk about the story or characters, people might accidentally think that we like Homestuck.

How else can we make people think we don't like Homestuck if we don't make fun of people who like Homestuck in the Homestuck thread?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Making fun of obsessive idiots is perfectly fine to do, you morons

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

GeneX posted:

Making fun of obsessive idiots is perfectly fine to do, you morons

Just do it with the knowledge that you, yourself, are probably also an obsessive idiot about something.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Cabbit posted:

Just do it with the knowledge that you, yourself, are probably also an obsessive idiot about something.

hypocrisy is half the fun

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CuddlyZombie posted:

Funny you should mention that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I dunno about some of the more :stare: theories, but I like that Bro maybe knew something wasn't right with Lil Cal and that's why he and Dave wear sunglasses all the time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Luminous Obscurity posted:

He's John and Jade's biological dad.

Well, it's more like he's the identical twin of their biological dad.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i don't know if anyone posted this and i don't care if anyone posted this

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I am kind of apt to believe the entire reading of Bro being unduly influenced by Cal. I also do believe that some type of sexual discomfort is kind of part of Dave's background. I don't think it is abuse, it would be more what is called "covert incest", where an adult is relating emotionally inappropriately to a child. This isn't guesswork, this is pretty much directly laid out in our introduction to Dave from the beginning.

I also think this ties in with some of the imagery and references around Dave, especially if you believe that The Waste Land is an inspiration for Homestuck. Dave is the Fisher King: the character that is barren/impotent because of an injury (in this case, a psychological injury), and who needs to reclaim his wholeness. That is why he is named "Strider" and carries a broken sword.

Of course, this is kind of a sign my thinking has gotten too convoluted: I kind of take it for granted that Dave Strider's character arc only makes sense in reference to JRR Tolkien and TS Eliot.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

atomicthumbs posted:

i don't know if anyone posted this and i don't care if anyone posted this

Feels sad man.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

While Homestuck certainly makes considerable use of pop culture, it doesn't indulge much in referencing internet meme stuff. I guess part of that comes from being about kids from 2009, since internet meme-ry has become endemic since then, but it's probably to Hussie's credit that Homestuck mostly makes its own injokes and references rather than using others'.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Well there was that over 9000 joke

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If anything I feel like the timelessness Hussie was going for started to break down around act 6, with things like all the Tumblr jokes with the new trolls, and most recently the Vine parody. He made a conscious effort to use his own memes rather than real ones to stop it seeming dated, but maybe Homestuck becoming such a part of internet pop culture changes his plans.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Tenebrais posted:

If anything I feel like the timelessness Hussie was going for started to break down around act 6, with things like all the Tumblr jokes with the new trolls, and most recently the Vine parody. He made a conscious effort to use his own memes rather than real ones to stop it seeming dated, but maybe Homestuck becoming such a part of internet pop culture changes his plans.

A lot of the Tumblr jokes with all the new trolls can just be segued into general internet weirdos. It's not like Tumblr is the progenitor and eventual death-knell for those kind of people, it just happens to be the place a lot of them flock to in order to find support.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'd forgotten about how overtly the pre-scratch trolls were internet parodies, particularly of tumblr, and I guess the trolls as a whole were patterned off of internet culture archetypes, but I think part of it is that these elements of Homestuck more or less stand on their own. Most internet meme humor is just purely referential rather than creative, if I didn't know tumblr existed I could still find a character who communicates in sign language via animated gifs funny.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, I think the Beforus trolls still work as funny joke characters even if you don't know about Tumblr. There was also that part with Dave and the twitter bubbles, which was more dependent on knowing the source material, but IMO more accessible than Tumblr jokes. Most people reading Homestuck are going to know what Twitter is.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Speaking of off the wall Homestuck theories, here’s mine:

In the new retconed time line Tavros is controlling Vriska’s body

Vriska didn’t die in the new timeline, but only on the outside. Inside her spirit is now gone, and it’s been replaced by none other than Tavros Nitram’s.

It’s kind of like the hit James Cameron movie “James Cameron’s Avatar” (directed by James Cameron) where a paralyzed guy takes control of a blue alien. Kind of exactly like that.

And what proof do I have of this? Why, the best kind of proof: A Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff comic!

Notice how the bull (now with blue eyes) is loving poo poo up. Also note the use of "re" in the title, as in "redo" or "retcon".

Check and mate, now king me.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Check and mate, now king me.

Hmm....
How to put this...

Ah, I know.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

life_source posted:

Hmm....
How to put this...

Ah, I know.

:boom:

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
You forgot Vriska (Vriska)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

life_source posted:

Hmm....
How to put this...

Ah, I know.

This is beautiful.

Although to be fair that theory was like 99% joke, I was in the dvd section of a half price book today and they had an avatar boxset on sale. Somehow it led to this.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

paradoxGentleman posted:

Well there was that over 9000 joke

In that joke the whole point was that it was a stupid and really dated meme.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Speaking of theories...

So Lord English is an amalgamation of a bunch of personalities, the way the Alpha Session sprites were. And two of those sprites (Tavrissprite, Fefetasprite) exploded when a situation occurred when the their individual halves had different reactions to a specific situation. …could the same thing happen to Lord English? I mean, he’s got that immortality gimmick, so you can’t just kill him, and destroying his soul doesn’t seem to work, since that’s just want created him. So how do you defeat him?

Is there some situation you could place Lord English in, where the Caliborn part of him, the Equius part of him, the AR part of him, and the Gamzee part of him would all react differently? And, poof, they’re split and the threat of Lord English is over?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Lord English will never be defeated, Homestuck will never end

These are the truths of this world

LE will just become like Bec Noir. Remember when Bec Noir was serious business?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the kids will defeat lord english by using john's power to skip to the sequel

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

AriadneThread posted:

the kids will defeat lord english by using john's power to skip to the sequel

Or the prequel. Time to read Problem Sleuth again, now with added Homestuck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WAR FOOT posted:

Lord English will never be defeated, Homestuck will never end

These are the truths of this world

LE will just become like Bec Noir. Remember when Bec Noir was serious business?

Now to be SUPER fair here- Lord English was the actual biggest threat before Bec Noir became a thing. In comic even.

Bec Noir was never anything more than a really dangerous son of a bitch who got some personal murders against the kids loved ones and wrecked the Troll's poo poo.

Lord English was presented as the behind the scenes fucker in charge of everything and the top of Spade Slick's poo poo list. When Spades, AKA Jack, AKA Bec Noir, thinks something is so awful and dangerous that it tops his kill list, you best pay attention.