Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

necrobobsledder posted:

This is what I meant by using a SFX PSU limits your selection - you have to actually do a little bit of research and think through things a little bit when with just plain old ATX PSUs you have an incredible number of possibilities. I'm all for making powerful computers smaller, but if you're custom building stuff yourself having a limited selection of parts really hurts when something breaks.
I don't actually have a SFF case so I'm using it with the ATX adapter right now. I figure I may have need of it eventually but for now it's just running a pfsense box. I didn't pay for it so :effort: I guess.
I agree with this in that even if you're going to go smaller you should probably aim towards something that will at least fit a common-size PSU, in case you have to replace it down the line without spending a ton on semi-rare parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
Looking at current prices $1300 will get you either a TitanX or dual 295x2 cards (plus a little extra for the 1kW+ power supply). I mean who wouldn't want Quadfire, it sounds so ridiculous it must be great, right?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Generic Monk posted:

Yeah are there any SFX supplies that aren't no-name or silverstone? Obvious reasons for the former and Silverstone products seem to be waaay overpriced for what they are from what I've seen. If I build a new PC at some point I'd love to stick it in something like the [url=https://www.ncases.com/[NCase M1[/url] since I don't use any expansion card slots anymore (GPU excepted) apart from a soundcard that I've perfunctorily transferred over for years. Obviously an ATX power supply with a full size graphics card in there is dicey to say the least and I'd probably prefer getting ripped off by silverstone.

Check fsp. They make some of the Silverstone SFX PSUs.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

cisco privilege posted:

I have one of these - it's ridiculous how much power they've stuffed in such a tiny, hand-held box, but drat if they didn't throw some lovely caps in there. Suiscon or whatever on the secondary is not cool. The semi-fanless PSU is quiet and runs very cool for being so small though which is kinda impressive I guess.

Ewwwwww. Well, good thing I can always order some Sanyos or Panasonics. As far as replacing components go, caps are easy. Soldering iron bros? :hf:

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
silverstone is the driving force behind sfx. the only reason they don't have 100% japanese caps is because people already think the price is too high. i personally wouldn't mind paying more for better caps. it's still a great psu though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This is really the only SFX PSU that counts anyway: http://amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Modular-Lengthened-SX500-LG/dp/B00SD9IORQ

Not horribly expensive, 500w will power any ITX system unless maybe you're somehow on both a 295x2 and overvolted CPU, and most importantly the much larger and quiter fan still fits in all Silverstone ITX cases.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Col.Kiwi posted:

What I'm saying is canadian hardware prices aren't actually significantly higher than US hardware prices. They're just bigger numbers but it's because our dollar is worth less in the global economy.

How much tax do you pay? We pay 12%, plus an "electronics recycling fee" that generally comes out to another $10.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kazinsal posted:

How much tax do you pay? We pay 12%, plus an "electronics recycling fee" that generally comes out to another $10.

Electronics recycling fees, AFAIK, are purely only a California thing. Not a percentage, is a flat fee, and was higher in the past to help quickly fund the program before tapering off to a normal amount. Something like $3-$5?

California sales tax is 7.5%, but might be higher from county-to-county.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

California only does the electronics recycling fee on things with screens, with the fee based on screen size.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Electronics recycling fees, AFAIK, are purely only a California thing. Not a percentage, is a flat fee, and was higher in the past to help quickly fund the program before tapering off to a normal amount. Something like $3-$5?

California sales tax is 7.5%, but might be higher from county-to-county.

There is an electronics recycling fee in Quebec, at least. Not sure if it's federal or provincial.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Jan posted:

There is an electronics recycling fee in Quebec, at least. Not sure if it's federal or provincial.
There are electronics recycling fees in Manitoba too, I think they are provincial. Total sales tax is 13% here right now, federal + provincial.

Tweek-
Jul 13, 2014
Hey guys,

Mind given your thoughts on the Gainward GeForce GTX 970 Phantom-Edition 4GB card?
Any good in terms of cooling or any other problems..?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kr7stof posted:

Hey guys,

Mind given your thoughts on the Gainward GeForce GTX 970 Phantom-Edition 4GB card?
Any good in terms of cooling or any other problems..?

We're mostly North America in here, so Gainward doesn't get mentioned much. Reviews pretty much say the only potential issue is the cooler looks fragile. A 970 really is a 970. vOv

http://www.geeks3d.com/20141210/gainward-geforce-gtx-970-phantom-review/#conclusion

From the looks of it, that cooler seems to be a *triple* slot solution, so you should probably take that into account. It also deviates from the norm in that it uses Mini-DP ports instead of the regular-sized ones.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 19, 2015

Tweek-
Jul 13, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

We're mostly North America in here, so Gainward doesn't get mentioned much. Reviews pretty much say the only potential issue is the cooler looks fragile. A 970 really is a 970. vOv

http://www.geeks3d.com/20141210/gainward-geforce-gtx-970-phantom-review/#conclusion

From the looks of it, that cooler seems to be a *triple* slot solution, so you should probably take that into account. It also deviates from the norm in that it uses Mini-DP ports instead of the regular-sized ones.

I noticed that too.
I will not go SLI so that will not be a problem for me.

It seems the Gainward card has no obvious problems.

Thanks for the link!

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain the differences with all the EVGA 970s?

Also, which 970 brands have the best stock cooling system? I used to by EVGA in the past, but I'm open to anything at this point.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Drunk Badger posted:

Also, which 970 brands have the best stock cooling system? I used to by EVGA in the past, but I'm open to anything at this point.

MSI 4G Gaming > ASUS STRIX >> Gigabyte >>> everything else

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Drunk Badger posted:

Can someone explain the differences with all the EVGA 970s?

There are four clock speed variants and four coolers.

Clock speeds are as follows (base/boost):

Base: 1050/1178 (reference)
SC: 1165/1317
SSC: 1190/1342
FTW: 1216/1367

All variants run the same 7010MHz memory clock, even the top of the line FTW+

Then the four coolers are:

Base: Reference design
ACX: Same cooler found on previous generation EVGA cards.
ACX 2.0: Variant of ACX with different fans to reduce power consumption, theoretically allowing better overclocking on stock power limits because fans count against the card's power budget.
ACX 2.0+: ACX 2.0 fans on an entirely different heatpipe assembly.

There's also a bit of a variation within both ACX 2.0 coolers where the FTW versions have an additional heatpipe that's either not there (plus version) or not functional on the lower models.

Beyond that the SSC ACX2+ and both FTW models have dual BIOSes and six phase power delivery where lower models only have four phase.

The short version is don't even bother with an EVGA card that's not one of the plus variants. The ACX2 cooler performs worse than reference and most other cards on the market have six phase power so while it's a slight difference they are objectively worse than the competition. If you, like me, have a silly brand loyalty the SSC+ is a fine card.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Is there a less that $200 upgrade to the gtx 760 or am I good for the time being?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Sell your 760 and apply the funds to a 970.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Sell your 760 and apply the funds to a 970.

I am incredibly lazy and the most taxing thing I'm playing now is Witcher 2 so maybe I'll stick with what I have. Hopefully the 970 dips in price in the next year or so then I'll be all over it for Witcher 3. Thanks for the suggestion.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

loudog999 posted:

I am incredibly lazy and the most taxing thing I'm playing now is Witcher 2 so maybe I'll stick with what I have. Hopefully the 970 dips in price in the next year or so then I'll be all over it for Witcher 3. Thanks for the suggestion.

Considering you get Witcher 3 free with a 970 you might want to just upgrade now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

loudog999 posted:

You do get a copy of the Witcher 3 if you buy a 970 at least.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Considering you get Witcher 3 free with a 970 you might want to just upgrade now.

You talked me into it, just ordered from Amazon

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
we should probably get paid by nvidia per sale of 970

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

MSI 4G Gaming > ASUS STRIX >> Gigabyte >>> everything else

Looks like there are a few MSI versions of the 970 as well. Which one should I get?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Drunk Badger posted:

Looks like there are a few MSI versions of the 970 as well. Which one should I get?

The Gaming 4G Gold Edition and Gaming 4G (NOT Limited Edition) are the two highest tiers. I think other than that, you start looking at the ASUS ones but I'm not sure how the regular MSI970s compare to other brands.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
You're not going to find the MSI ~Golden Dragon~ edition for anything less than ~$450 now, and the only thing it offered over the base model was a pure (and heavier) copper heatsink assembly, golden accents, a backplate, and the near-certainty that if you ever had to RMA it, you'd end up just getting a regular red-plastic 4G version back since they really *did* make it a Limited Edition.

The most 'limited' MSI out there now that you can still buy for a comparable price to others is the "100ME" version, which is the 4G with a backplate and accents in a neon-green to represent nVidia's 'colors.'

TL;DR: Just buy the red-plastic 4G version.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Golden MSI 970 also has the nice prestige of having the best performing air cooler ever sold on a graphics card, cost/weight/practicality be damned.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
GPU Megathread - you should buy a 970

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You're not going to find the MSI ~Golden Dragon~ edition for anything less than ~$450 now, and the only thing it offered over the base model was a pure (and heavier) copper heatsink assembly, golden accents, a backplate, and the near-certainty that if you ever had to RMA it, you'd end up just getting a regular red-plastic 4G version back since they really *did* make it a Limited Edition.

The most 'limited' MSI out there now that you can still buy for a comparable price to others is the "100ME" version, which is the 4G with a backplate and accents in a neon-green to represent nVidia's 'colors.'

cost be damned I would have bought it if I knew about it before. I love that companies make stuff that they know will sell like crazy on asian market. They should have included dota 2 hats somehow.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Fauxtool posted:

cost be damned I would have bought it if I knew about it before. I love that companies make stuff that they know will sell like crazy on asian market. They should have included dota 2 hats somehow.

Dota 2 market has been hosed since February or whenever it is that they segregated the markets to keep the ruble from "having an adverse effect on the economy". Well, as it turns out, they hosed the economy anyways. I can't even make enough money selling Dota pixels to pay for my FFXIV sub anymore.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's both a nice card and a nice looking card. I wish I could get a second card though. I would imagine that if you ever had to RMA it they would just take off the heat sink and back plate and stick it on a blank board.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Do individual components ever get replaced during RMA process?
My friend was told that they replaced capacitors on his card, but I thought they would generally just replace the card.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

SinineSiil posted:

Do individual components ever get replaced during RMA process?
My friend was told that they replaced capacitors on his card, but I thought they would generally just replace the card.

That would be a hell of a 5-9.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I'm sure that is a very case by case basis. A capacitor is dirt cheap though, so if they can quickly (and cheaply) pinpoint a capacitor, like it just exploded or its a common thing, replacing that would be like 100 times cheaper than giving you a new board even with labor and all. Diagnosis being the sticking point

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I'm sure that is a very case by case basis. A capacitor is dirt cheap though, so if they can quickly (and cheaply) pinpoint a capacitor, like it just exploded or its a common thing, replacing that would be like 100 times cheaper than giving you a new board even with labor and all. Diagnosis being the sticking point
They had no visual damage and supposed replacing did nothing to fix its problems.
He sent it back and hopefully they'll replace it completely.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Any time I have ever had to RMA I got a completely different part back. Which can suck if you are on water. XFX changed revision when I had to RMA my 6970 and the waterblock no longer fit. Reference drat card even.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So I am guessing from everything on this page that the GeForce GTX 970 really is the only choice at the moment - this still hold true if I am upgrading to a 2560 x 1440 monitor? (I currently have 1920x1200 powered by a GTX 760Ti).

Is this the one I want?
MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 Gaming Twin Frozr HDMI DVI-I DP Graphics Card (4GB, PCI Express, DDR5, 256 Bit)

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 20, 2015

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

So I am guessing from everything on this page that the GeForce GTX 970 really is the only choice at the moment - this still hold true if I am upgrading to a 2560 x 1440 monitor? (I currently have 1920x1200 powered by a GTX 760Ti).

Is this the one I want?
MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 Gaming Twin Frozr HDMI DVI-I DP Graphics Card (4GB, PCI Express, DDR5, 256 Bit)

GTX 970 for 1080p, GTX 980 for everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

My 760Ti seems to handle 1920x1200 just fine.
So 970 is not actually enough for 2560x1440? It's going to be one hell of an expensive upgrade if I need to get a 980.

EDIT - This review seems to show perfectly fine results with that card:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/6.html

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 20, 2015