Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Tweak posted:

counter point: he had gavin newsome on to berate him

That had more to do with him being bad than being left. The only people he really berates are the poor because gently caress them got mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Except he pays a shitload in taxes and knows better than anyone what it's like to be dirt poor. :clint:

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
That's the problem with Adam. He went from pretty poor to pretty rich really quick. He'll never understand anything besides that, because that's what he thinks happens when you get a good hold on those bootstraps.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I hate to distract from the Adam hate, but I just want to remind everyone Gina Grad thinks its dangerous to stand too close to a microwave.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Gina's got booooooooooooooooobs

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Adam has used the word "gestalt" like seven times in the last three episodes. Usually incorrectly. Any idea where he picked that up?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Lake of Methane posted:

Adam has used the word "gestalt" like seven times in the last three episodes. Usually incorrectly. Any idea where he picked that up?

Well, you see, the Germans are all about family and education, and after WWII they built a lot of great cars...

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Lake of Methane posted:

if Adam finds a new word you can always chalk it up to Drew

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

It's just a different modality of uh using gestalt

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

Charlotte McKinney was a surprisingly fun guest. Everybody was on fire during her segment.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Paul Kersey posted:

Charlotte McKinney was a surprisingly fun guest. Everybody was on fire during her segment.

Hamming it up or a legitimately stupid person? I can't tell.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

visuvius posted:

Hamming it up or a legitimately stupid person? I can't tell.

She said John Legend for fucks sakes. She'd also have to be an amazing actress to pull off that otherwise.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Veskit posted:

She said John Legend for fucks sakes. She'd also have to be an amazing actress to pull off that otherwise.

Poor Como. :(

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I really cant stand Gina.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Bruce Kison posted:

I really cant stand Gina.

Welcome to the club.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

My only problem with her is that she feels kinda phony. She's a little too happy and agreeable, but then again she's still new and probably doesn't want to share Alison's fate.

"Gina, do you have one more story?"

"You got it!" :D

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
I think fake bubbliness is what Adam wants since every "news girl" has filled that persona - even Theresa although she got the most slack and freedom to be herself.

Evidently the correlation between letting people be themselves and getting good work out of them is lost on Adam or August or whoever actually in charge.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Her entire career has been "generic female radio sidekick". Exactly what Opie & Anthony used to refer to as "the hole".

It shouldn't be surprising since Adam has tried his hardest to turn the podcast into a generic morning drive show. Wacky sound effects, female sidekick fake laughing at everything, and taking calls from idiots. The show was much better when it was more free form.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I wonder if Donnie was the one who kept it super free form.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Niwrad posted:

Her entire career has been "generic female radio sidekick". Exactly what Opie & Anthony used to refer to as "the hole".

It shouldn't be surprising since Adam has tried his hardest to turn the podcast into a generic morning drive show. Wacky sound effects, female sidekick fake laughing at everything, and taking calls from idiots. The show was much better when it was more free form.

Remember, what listeners want is repetition. Let's play the David Wild song, and then before he tells his story, I'm going to need to hear the Deacon Jones clip again.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.

Veskit posted:

I wonder if Donnie was the one who kept it super free form.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was the driving force behind making the show more creative rather than formatted because it seems to me like Adam loves having a format.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Guys, Donnie was an idiot.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

visuvius posted:

Guys, Donnie was an idiot.

Ya but hes done all those great things since leaving like.............

I got nothing.

I like the theme songs especially Bruces and Atchitys.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bruce's theme is great because it bothers him so much.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Niwrad posted:

Bruce's theme is great because it bothers him so much.

He'll stick his finger up your asssssssssss.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is anyone still listening? Any episodes worth downloading?

Saw this article about Carolla's show. Says they made over $2 million in profit last year. Pretty impressive. Noticed the ads are getting much more mainstream. Can't believe how much they make off Amazon too.

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/246137/two-headed-goat-the-podcast.html

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I still listen and OH MY GOD is Gina annoying.

Did you know shes Jewish? She hardly ever mentions it.

Shes got that cackle that makes me want to tear my ears off.

Radio hole is the perfect description of her, she brings NOTHING to the table.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i'm guessing carolla's comments on letterman leaving are the same as they always are, "everyone just seems so afraid of him!"

sorta like employees of ace broadcasting

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jesus christ, he had Chuck C Johnson on the show.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Jesus christ, he had Chuck C Johnson on the show.
Yeah I listened to that one for the watching-trainwreck reasons and was disappointed; you can skip it. The guy is awful but he unfortunately came across as smug-but-semi-sane, and when Gina asked him if he would change anything he did in the past he trivialized a couple cherries he picked and called it a day.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I listened to a few over the holidays when I was travelling. I actually think Adam might be mentally ill. This has nothing to do with his politics or his choice in guests either.

He explains how people would leave coffee mugs around and not clean them out. So he went through and gave everyone their own coffee mug with their name on it and tracks to see if people are washing them out when they are finished. This is a middle-aged man who is a "literal millionaire" obsessed with a few dirty coffee mugs in an office. In another episode he brings in his unwashed racing suit and forces Bryan and Gina to smell it to prove that his sweat doesn't smell. They are clearly uncomfortable with this but he insists over and over for them to keep smelling it.

Now this stuff wouldn't be bad if it was setup as some "radio bit" that everyone laughed over. But he was dead serious on these things. And that's why the show sucks now. He makes no effort to be funny anymore. He's either preaching about how great he is or complaining about the most meaningless stuff in a serious manner. He's also really angry all the time and lashes out at everyone. Not even sure why Drew bothers to come in anymore with the way he is treated.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

don't forget racist

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I'm a pretty big Carolla fan and I will continue to listen to him but yeah he has gotten worse over the last year or so. The amount of inane poo poo he seriously complains about is out of control.

All of that is fine and I don't really give a poo poo as long as the occasional chuckles keep coming in but what got my attention and what I thought was super weird was his recent Uber bits. So he is advertising for Uber which is fine but what kills me is he threw his assistant Matt into the mix so that Matt can discuss how he supplements his income by driving for Uber. This is a guy who is essentially Carolla's right hand, who has worked as a producer or whatever the gently caress he is on the show for years, and who apparently doesn't make enough so he needs to supplement his income with Uber. They are either making up the Matt bit just for the advertisement, or he really is driving for Uber because he doesn't make enough money. Both of these possibilities, especially the second really turn me off.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Niwrad posted:

He explains how people would leave coffee mugs around and not clean them out. So he went through and gave everyone their own coffee mug with their name on it and tracks to see if people are washing them out when they are finished. This is a middle-aged man who is a "literal millionaire" obsessed with a few dirty coffee mugs in an office.

I still listen to his wife's show and she talks about how he always tells her (and he says this on show) "If I ever do anything I shouldn't, just tell me once and *boom* done. Wont ever happen again." One thing he is apt to do is take his shoes off in the middle of a walkway and just leave them there. She asked him to please move them to the side. He says "No problem! You only have to tell me once!" Of course it doesn't happen. There's an ongoing update on her show about whether or not he's finally moved his shoes. He hasn't and this was months ago. Guys a douche of the biggest order.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Newman doc he was behind was really good. I don't know how involved he was with it but I liked it and don't really like racing.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Niwrad posted:

The Newman doc he was behind was really good. I don't know how involved he was with it but I liked it and don't really like racing.

His involvement was minimal. Jules Dash was who did all the heavy lifting on getting it made.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

visuvius posted:

I'm a pretty big Carolla fan and I will continue to listen to him but yeah he has gotten worse over the last year or so. The amount of inane poo poo he seriously complains about is out of control.

All of that is fine and I don't really give a poo poo as long as the occasional chuckles keep coming in but what got my attention and what I thought was super weird was his recent Uber bits. So he is advertising for Uber which is fine but what kills me is he threw his assistant Matt into the mix so that Matt can discuss how he supplements his income by driving for Uber. This is a guy who is essentially Carolla's right hand, who has worked as a producer or whatever the gently caress he is on the show for years, and who apparently doesn't make enough so he needs to supplement his income with Uber. They are either making up the Matt bit just for the advertisement, or he really is driving for Uber because he doesn't make enough money. Both of these possibilities, especially the second really turn me off.

I haven't listened regularly in at least a year, and I don't miss it. It was one thing hearing stories and stuff repeated over time, but his politics and whining just got to me.

If Matt really has to drive for Uber to make ends meet, then gently caress this show forever.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Dear Prudence posted:

I still listen to his wife's show and she talks about how he always tells her (and he says this on show) "If I ever do anything I shouldn't, just tell me once and *boom* done. Wont ever happen again." One thing he is apt to do is take his shoes off in the middle of a walkway and just leave them there. She asked him to please move them to the side. He says "No problem! You only have to tell me once!" Of course it doesn't happen. There's an ongoing update on her show about whether or not he's finally moved his shoes. He hasn't and this was months ago. Guys a douche of the biggest order.
This is something that is bordering on universal so when I hear stuff like this I infer the opposite. That is to say, if that's the major complaint then sure it's humorous/annoying and technically hypocrisy but if I had to speculate from this side of a couple podcasts then wow pretty good husband/marriage in general. There is a short list of stuff I have just given up on with my wife, I'm sure her list is longer, and our marriage is great. GREAT I TELL YOU.

visuvius posted:

This is kind of sad. Like yes by all means work all hours if that's something you want to do, but an Uber gig isn't a side project to develop skills for down the line, it's just to get money. Still, many people choose to do this just this kind of thing even if they don't "need" to... does he need to? Did he get pushed into it? (No way they are just making it up whole cloth, that wouldn't make sense, though maybe he only did it a couple times or something? I don't know.)

I listen to the Carolla/Drew show and Carolla has been really grouchy some days and Drew seems pretty distracted most days, but Adam is basically a genius so it's still worth listening to (for me), especially when they take calls. I am going to watch the Newman documentary at some point.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Side question -- outside of recommendation threads etc., is there a good metric for rating podcasts that doesn't 95% rest on people who listen to and thus like the podcast? Would also love some service that estimated cross-platform download counts, though that's kind of a tall order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

visuvius posted:

Adam is likely of the opinion that people working for him are doing it (or should be doing it) mostly for the experience and to jump to bigger and better things. I doubt anyone gets paid well at all. At best, maybe something like $50,000 a year, which wouldn't be enough for a high COL area.