Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Crossover SUV. they have the SRX in that segment, but it's not fair to say it's competing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Maybach like LWB sedan to show off in China.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Powershift posted:

Crossover SUV. they have the SRX in that segment, but it's not fair to say it's competing.

SRX is Cadillacs best seller though so I'd say it's competing enough for them to be happy with it.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Wheeee posted:

Cadillac didn't create the Escalade's brand cachet, rappers did.

If the Escalade hadn't taken off Cadillac probably would have been Pontiac'd by now.

Actually, Cadillac would be where Lincoln is right now - stuck in the sorta-premium-but-not-really doldrums with Chrysler, full of rebadged product that's a rung below what you'd get from Acura and Infiniti.

It's Buick that woulda been Pontiac'ed if it wasn't for GM wanting to cash in on Chinese nostalgia.

Throatwarbler posted:

In the US, the market for lux minivans is somewhat hampered because you can get a Dodge Caravan for $19k and enough people had them growing up that they don't associate them with luxury, but apparently sitting on top of the frame rails with your knees pressed against your chest is "luxury" to most people so Escalade/Yukon sales never slow down.

Most people don't equate vehicles designed to haul crying, bratty little poo poo machines with luxury. They just don't see a vehicle they envision with sour milk smells, crayon marks and various kid-derived stains as a potential luxury vehicle. Luxury SUVs and CUVs, on the other hand, carry a more sophisticated image.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Wheeee posted:

Cadillac didn't create the Escalade's brand cachet, rappers did.

If the Escalade hadn't taken off Cadillac probably would have been Pontiac'd by now.

Like most things popularized by celebrities, those rappers were probably given free Escalades by GM and paid to be seen driving them.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
More info about that Honda I posted about a few days ago:

quote:

Honda S660 Type R and S1000 reportedly approved for production

MUGEN version of the S660 below. A Type R with 100hp is coming, but all this is Japan only...

More interestingly, the rumored 125+hp version is the S1000 and an international model apparently.

quote:

1.0-liter turbocharged VTEC gasoline engine developing more than 127 bhp (95 kW)[...], six-speed manual gearbox[...],believed to be 200mm wider and 150mm longer than the standard car and it should also benefit from wider tires and a hard roof featuring a bespoke "snorkel-type" air intake.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
It's amazing how long it took for Honda to figure out how to make a good car.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If Cadillac is trying to compete with Mercedes they certainly have them matched on first year depreciation with the ELR.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

It's amazing how long it took for Honda to figure out how to make a good car.

They've been doing it for decades though?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

PCOS Bill posted:

They've been doing it for decades though?

There has been a bit of a dead period for the last couple years

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Honda never stopped making great cars. They just haven't been making sports cars.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dislike button posted:

If Cadillac is trying to compete with Mercedes they certainly have them matched on first year depreciation with the ELR.

:laffo:

I've driven one, and I'd seriously consider trading the Volt in on one if it were ~$40-45k. How they can justify even attempting to ask more than $82k for what is essentially a badge-engineered, electric Chevy Cruze is beyond me.

GeneralMotors.txt, basically.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Spatule posted:

More info about that Honda I posted about a few days ago:

MUGEN version of the S660 below. A Type R with 100hp is coming, but all this is Japan only...

More interestingly, the rumored 125+hp version is the S1000 and an international model apparently.

The 127bhp model sounds like it'd be fun...

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

drgitlin posted:

Sean10mm they're targeting. 1700 kg for the twin turbo, and yes the chassis is really cool; a mix of aluminum extrusions, cast aluminum, and stamped steel. Of course, that means body repairs are going to be limited to a smaller number of approved body shops if it needs it.

cool stuff:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Powershift posted:

And tesla is eating their lunch in that department.

Not to mention beaten Cadillac to the punch with the highway autopilot thing.

Hopefully Cadillac won't be too far behind - it won't be long before their primary customer base starts losing the ability to drive manually.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

MrYenko posted:

I've driven one, and I'd seriously consider trading the Volt in on one if it were ~$40-45k. How they can justify even attempting to ask more than $82k for what is essentially a badge-engineered, electric Chevy Cruze is beyond me.

Honestly, the Tesla P85D is the electric car Cadillac should be selling, not a two-door Volt coupe.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Honestly, the Tesla P85D is the electric car Cadillac should be selling, not a two-door Volt coupe.
The best part of the volt is that its *mostly* a series hybrid. The rest isn't exactly impressive.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

MrYenko posted:

LMAO I had no idea the ELR was an $80K car; that explains so much. I'd love to see the mental gymnastics required to justify that price.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
"We're losing money on every Volt we sell, how do we make money off this thing? I know let's make a stylish Cadillac coupé out of it and make our money back on that!" With not a thought given to how people would react to a $75k+ two-door Cimarron hybrid.

The whole thing is 'Old GM' as gently caress.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MrYenko posted:

From one page ago

ilkhan posted:

If I were in charge of GM you'd have each non-chevy brand be nothing but engine choice, interior parts binning, and tuning from a Chevy model.
Chevy is base.
Pontiac is performance.
Buick is comfort.
GMC for fleet use.
Cadillac is material quality+performance.

Probably the only models worth special casing are corvette and escalade.

You can make amazing changes in feel by part swapping materials inside (without changing anything structural behind it) and swapping engine-tuning/springs/shocks/tires.

GM can't win.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well they could, but it would take effort. Not something in their repertoire.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

blugu64 posted:

GM can't win.

Sure they can, it would just take a commitment to bringing a truly great product to market, instead of just raiding the parts bin again. They've proven that when they put their minds to it, they can make really great cars.

Also:

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

This is exactly true.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

blugu64 posted:

From one page ago

GM can't win.

Making lots of parts bin cars is what CAUSED Cadillac's problems; it's not the solution to them. The Escalade is the lone exception to a long string of badge-engineered turds that eroded Cadillac's credibility.

1960s Cadillacs had good quality for their era and mostly unique hardware. Only Cadillacs had Cadillac engines for instance; you didn't find a 472 or 500 in a loving Nova. Then in the 70s they did a 180 and started rebodying stretched Chevy Nova platforms and sticking Cadillac badges on them and boosted short-term sales in exchange for gradually killing off any trace of the brand's credibility.

e: It's hard to overstate how dominant Cadillac was in the American luxury market. Success pretty much literally meant a Cadillac, and anything else was a novelty. Cadillac owners main complaint was that prices weren't HIGHER to keep them an infinite distance away from pleb scum. making GBS threads all that away was hard work; in fact, they probably poo poo away more brand loyalty than any American car maker, which is saying A LOT.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 20, 2015

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
All the news I read about the S660/R/1000 just makes me despair that it's never coming to the states. I'd buy one and drive it forever and love it and pat it on the head.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Network42 posted:

All the news I read about the S660/R/1000 just makes me despair that it's never coming to the states. I'd buy one and drive it forever and love it and pat it on the head.

Just try not to kill this one, okay?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

No poo poo. That is cool as hell. I imagine that thing will be fore real. That's a lot of money in castings if you're not going anywhere with it.

EDIT: I'm dumb, it's going into production late this year. Still seriously cool and I'm sad I haven't heard of it till now. I mean something nearly the size of a 7 series but weighs less than a 5, plus the option of a V6tt? That will be cool as hell.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 20, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Apparently someone at Cadillac is reading this thread because they just announced a plug-in hybrid version of the CT6.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think GM's parts bin problem is that they didn't design the expensive high trim stuff first and then let it trickle down but instead went the other way and tried to badge engineer a fatter margin.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Mazda announced pricing for the new Miata. $25K for the lowest-end model, and $31K for the "launch version".

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

sean10mm posted:

Making lots of parts bin cars is what CAUSED Cadillac's problems; it's not the solution to them. The Escalade is the lone exception to a long string of badge-engineered turds that eroded Cadillac's credibility.

1960s Cadillacs had good quality for their era and mostly unique hardware. Only Cadillacs had Cadillac engines for instance; you didn't find a 472 or 500 in a loving Nova. Then in the 70s they did a 180 and started rebodying stretched Chevy Nova platforms and sticking Cadillac badges on them and boosted short-term sales in exchange for gradually killing off any trace of the brand's credibility.

e: It's hard to overstate how dominant Cadillac was in the American luxury market. Success pretty much literally meant a Cadillac, and anything else was a novelty. Cadillac owners main complaint was that prices weren't HIGHER to keep them an infinite distance away from pleb scum. making GBS threads all that away was hard work; in fact, they probably poo poo away more brand loyalty than any American car maker, which is saying A LOT.

Don't forget that there were trade restrictions in place that prevented imports (or made them prohibitively expensive) back then.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

drgitlin posted:

Don't forget that there were trade restrictions in place that prevented imports (or made them prohibitively expensive) back then.

Foreign cars back then were mostly garbage. Being bombed into the stone age tends to do that.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Mange Mite posted:

Foreign cars back then were mostly garbage. Being bombed into the stone age tends to do that.

The foreign cars rose up because of getting bombed back into the stoneage. Pretty much all of my Japanese colleagues have pictures of their grandparents standing in front of Chevys and Fords, that were lost when all the metro areas turned into firestorms. Gave a good chance for the domestic market to take off there and turned into worldwide exports.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Mange Mite posted:

In the 1960s the grosserbenz was still better than anything Cadillac built.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

So I think VW's been unclear til now on whether or not we're getting the Golf Alltrack. Latest word is we are getting it, eventually, as a 2016 model. They barely lifted it enough for the gray plastic to fit and the wheels and tires are very much pavement oriented but I still wouldn't mind having one.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-vw-golf-sportwagen-alltrack-first-drive-review

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Literally one letter off of the name of Toyota's old AWD package. Way to be original, VW :rolleyes:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
however you spell it it still sounds dumb

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Merc's 4matic was the worst though. My brain immediately labels it as '4-speed automatic' every time.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Terrible Robot posted:

Literally one letter off of the name of Toyota's old AWD package. Way to be original, VW :rolleyes:

It makes even less sense when you consider that VW already has perfectly good monikers in the form of Syncro or Crossgolf(Polo).

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Friar Zucchini posted:

So I think VW's been unclear til now on whether or not we're getting the Golf Alltrack. Latest word is we are getting it, eventually, as a 2016 model. They barely lifted it enough for the gray plastic to fit and the wheels and tires are very much pavement oriented but I still wouldn't mind having one.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-vw-golf-sportwagen-alltrack-first-drive-review

Just when you thought body cladding was maaaaaaybe over and done with, BOOM, VW lays a golden log.

Give us a Golf Sportwagen R, you imbeciles. Not this wannabe Outback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CornHolio posted:

Merc's 4matic was the worst though. My brain immediately labels it as '4-speed automatic' every time.

Same.