Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I find the role that Nay and unnamed cameo have in Sarly's mindscape interesting. I don't think Sarly would give those "villain" roles to non-friends :3:

Although, how do the mechanics for a multiple dive work here? Because Cass was not behaving like a diver, more like a divee. Basically, why is Cass not bothering with the dive and simply perfectly roleplaying along with the standard cosmosphere shenanigans?

EDIT: update last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Omobono posted:

I find the role that Nay and unnamed cameo have in Sarly's mindscape interesting. I don't think Sarly would give those "villain" roles to non-friends :3:

Although, how do the mechanics for a multiple dive work here? Because Cass was not behaving like a diver, more like a divee. Basically, why is Cass not bothering with the dive and simply perfectly roleplaying along with the standard cosmosphere shenanigans?

So, Prime kind of explained it. She's closer to Sarly and thus better integrated into the plot of the world than Delta is, which in turn is giving her a role to play in the overall plot of things.

Keep in mind we're still Diving into Cass, we're just going to Sarly's mind from there.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 20, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Omobono posted:

It's Delta diving into Cass and Sarly's chained genometrics, rather than Delta and Cass diving into Sarly's genometrics. I think it was explained much better earlier in the thread that Ar tonelico's cosmospheres were insight into a person's mind, while Ar noSurge's genometrics are an insight into a relationship.

So yeah, Cass isn't a diver, she's a divee along with Sarly.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It really seems like Cass is the actual main character. Why aren't we playing as her instead of Amnesia McCipher here?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Now I am confused about the Prim and Prime thing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MonsterEnvy posted:

Now I am confused about the Prim and Prime thing.

I'm confused as to why Delta doesn't point it out. Two people who look the same, have nearly the same name but act entirely differently, both apparently born from Delta and Cass' minds. Delta, the only one aware of the existance of both, at no point says anything about it. You'd think he would at least react to Prim when he meets her first, or ask Prime about it after, but nope.

Hell, I seriously thought he didn't recognise Nay on this update. He acted as if he had no idea who she was, then called her by name randomly. I guess he realized that he had another "Sergeant Catty" on his hands, but it could've been made a lot clearer by just having Delta give it one line, like "This person looks like Nay, but this is Genometrics so it's likely not her, just like how Catty was not Sarly".

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

FractalSandwich posted:

It really seems like Cass is the actual main character. Why aren't we playing as her instead of Amnesia McCipher here?

Because :japan:?

Most likely though I'd assume it's to use his perspective to dripfeed the viewer important details of the plot.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Omobono posted:

Actually the cameo characters name was dropped by blondie in the cowboy hat though I guess it was easy enough to miss.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

What's up with this SIOM grid? Do the positions of people on the grid mean anything?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Kurieg posted:

What's up with this SIOM grid? Do the positions of people on the grid mean anything?

It's Sadism, Introversion, Outgoingness, and Masochism. IIRC moving your icon nearer someone else's boosts the power of the spell you get from them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

wdarkk posted:

It's Sadism, Introversion, Outgoingness, and Masochism.
I wish I could say I was surprised.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It also will actually change the in-battle vocals from the heroine. For example, it's super easy to say push Cass into the O/S corner with the DLC Genometrics, at which point she starts saying some quite rude things in battle.

Delta doesn't question the whole Prim/Prime thing probably because while they look the same they act completely different.

Also, the heroines are definitely the actual main characters this time. We're playing as Delta for Reasons which will become clear later.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 20, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

How do you move it though? Options you've picked in the Genometrics or the spells you've got equipped?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Check out the screens where Delta gives an answer, there are little arrows towards where the answer will move the personalities on the grid. Using song magic in battle also moves them slightly depending on where the song is on the grid. And on the extreme sides the battle vocals are pretty much always rude.

Edit: In this one for example it will move Sarly more towards the outroverted side of the grid.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 20, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

wdarkk posted:

It's Sadism, Introversion, Outgoingness, and Masochism. IIRC moving your icon nearer someone else's boosts the power of the spell you get from them.

It also provides different extra effects depending on which direction the spell is skewed in. Can't quite remember off the top of my head, but I believe being off towards Introverted boosts your defense, while being towards Outgoing boosts the support spell attack power (the minor attacks that Cass throws out mid battle). Things like that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I imagine there's someone out there who's devoted hours towards turning everyone into Outgoing Masochists so all of Cass' spells will be super powerful *and* She gets to swear like a sailor.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Icedude posted:

It also provides different extra effects depending on which direction the spell is skewed in. Can't quite remember off the top of my head, but I believe being off towards Introverted boosts your defense, while being towards Outgoing boosts the support spell attack power (the minor attacks that Cass throws out mid battle). Things like that.

It depends on the Song I think what benefit you get from personality. It's all weird and poorly documented because everything in these games is that way.

Like seriously that's one of the few things I really need to vent about getting irritated with in the series, the mechanics are incredibly opaque to the point of it being difficult to really get what you should be doing with your equipment at times. It's present at varying levels throughout the series but Ar Nosurge is probably the biggest offender (especially since it seems the TxBIOS are bugged as well).

Feinne fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 20, 2015

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I actually played the game up to the 4th or 5th boss without knowing how to change equipment, or rather what your equipment actually does. I was confused by how hard everything was up to that point. :downs:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Update tomorrow with the end of the Dive. I've got a BUNCH of shop and purification stuff, so next update might be some of Sarly's shop content (since it'll be introduced to us by the plot and is a bit more immediately plot-adjacent than Nay's). This depends on what things are looking like after I get some actual plot recorded tonight. I need to see what makes sense as far as breaking things up.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Feinne posted:

I need to see what makes sense as far as breaking things up.

Your statement assumes this game makes sense.

Which, so far, it is lacking. I hope for a change!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

berryjon posted:

Your statement assumes this game makes sense.

Which, so far, it is lacking. I hope for a change!

Oh long term it all makes perfect sense (well, the plot anyway, if you're talking on an existential level that's a bit more thorny) but some things are going to be quite confusing for a while. The payoff once you realize what's going on is actually pretty good though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Feinne posted:

Update tomorrow with the end of the Dive. I've got a BUNCH of shop and purification stuff, so next update might be some of Sarly's shop content (since it'll be introduced to us by the plot and is a bit more immediately plot-adjacent than Nay's). This depends on what things are looking like after I get some actual plot recorded tonight. I need to see what makes sense as far as breaking things up.

At this point right now we are at six plot episodes to five non-plot episodes - three geometrics and two shop scenes.

You want to go to to 6:7 (maybe 7:7 if you're being generous and count the Sarly one as plot-related). That is an extremely high ratio of plot:non-plot.

I'm not the first person to complain about the high number of shop scenes. Maybe they change the ending, but that doesn't stop them from dragging the pacing face-first along the pavement at high speed. Question for the thread readers: have any of you laughed or cracked a smile at the Nay shop scenes? Even a little one?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

At this point right now we are at six plot episodes to five non-plot episodes - three geometrics and two shop scenes.

You want to go to to 6:7 (maybe 7:7 if you're being generous and count the Sarly one as plot-related). That is an extremely high ratio of plot:non-plot.

I'm not the first person to complain about the high number of shop scenes. Maybe they change the ending, but that doesn't stop them from dragging the pacing face-first along the pavement at high speed. Question for the thread readers: have any of you laughed or cracked a smile at the Nay shop scenes? Even a little one?

This is exactly why I'm really wanting to try and get a full plot update for next time.

What you might get is a full plot this time followed by as much side content as I can reasonably get in a post because of circumstances with what the game's plot is going to do. I really want to get Delta and Cass' side content done before we switch to Ion.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 21, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

In other news, GUST apparently did some sort of Surge Concerto broadcast and confirmed they're working on a new game in the series :toot:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I enjoy the Genometrics Scenes because they're more directly related to the plot. But I usually skip over the shop sequences because they seem fairly formulaic.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Icedude posted:

In other news, GUST apparently did some sort of Surge Concerto broadcast and confirmed they're working on a new game in the series :toot:

:toot:

Went ahead and read the Ciel Nosurge summary so I'm hyped for more Surge Concerto stuff.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I think I have a workable solution to the timetable, I'm going to take the side content I've currently got and divide it into two updates: One with Nay and the purification scenes (this is a logical split for reasons which will become clear) and one with Sarly. Sarly's are a lot more obviously plot relevant from the start, which is nice. We'll have Dive->Plot->Side->Plot->Side->Plot and then not have any side content for a while. When we finish that third plot update why it had to be this way will make sense.

In fact we'll be mostly done with this whole Chapter's side content if I do it that way, as I look at things.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 21, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm trying to not be too big a dick about it. I understand that it's a tricky thing to balance, and it is actually something I'm struggling with in my current LP, as the main plot has about 20-30 hours of content, with about 40-80 hours worth of sidequests and other materials.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, it's always tough to balance and judge side content.

For me in this case, the attraction is more in the side content than the main plot, so I don't really have a call to make here.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Actually, Delta DOES question the Prim/Prime thing, it's just that it's a world entry conversation and the start-of-world conversation takes priority. If you enter a world any time after Prim appears, they stop and talk about it. It's fairly easy to notice if you take a break from Sarly to stop by Zill's Genometrics.

The S/M/I/O thing is a cool concept, but in practice it's really annoying. See, the main problems are A) once you pick a choice, it no longer adds points, EVER, and a number of choices are flat-out required at some point if you want all the crystals, B) using a song that belongs to a heroine pushes them towards the center, and C) while using a non-heroine song aligns their personality towards another character, actually making use of this tends to require grinding.

Really could've been pulled off better.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I pretty much skipped 95% of Nays and Sarlys shop/crafting dialogue when playing the game myself. There was only one character who I really thought interesting enough to read most of their stuff in that regard, the other probably 50%.

For Nay/Sarly there are a few interesting scenes, but they get lost in a lot of white noise crap.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I'm trying to not be too big a dick about it. I understand that it's a tricky thing to balance, and it is actually something I'm struggling with in my current LP, as the main plot has about 20-30 hours of content, with about 40-80 hours worth of sidequests and other materials.

Oh I totally feel you, the scenes are really paced oddly here. We're actually still in the game's prologue but it doesn't quite want us to realize it, and part of that is totally giving us access to I'm pretty sure literally all of Delta and Cass's shop scenes for Phase 1 during this section of the phase. They break the flow a bit here, but they'll REALLY break the flow when we switch to the other party in a few plot updates so I'm just going to try and push through them.

FrickenMoron posted:

For Nay/Sarly there are a few interesting scenes, but they get lost in a lot of white noise crap.

Sarly's are often pretty okay (since they tie in with her Dives a lot in concept) but Nay's are kind of boring until the plot reaches a certain point and we have a better idea why she does what she does.

The other two shops have a pretty cool side story and character development for one of the cooler side characters respectively, so there's also that to look forward to.

EDIT: Also we are only a few updates from our first Song in the form of CLASS::CIEL_N_PROTECTA so there's that to look forward to. And yes, Songs here aren't EXEC:: or METHOD::, they're CLASS::.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 21, 2015

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

EDIT: Also we are only a few updates from our first Song in the form of CLASS::CIEL_N_PROTECTA so there's that to look forward to. And yes, Songs here aren't EXEC:: or METHOD::, they're CLASS::.

Object-oriented language? Do Ra Cielans use (a local variant of) Hymnos too or is their magical language different? Looking forward to it, the songs are the selling point of the Tonelico & co. games

I've finished the Ciel Nosurge summary and :stonklol: Nay's backstory. Up there with Cloche and Mir's, how the hell is she that well adjusted? While I'm asking questions with no/spoilerous answers, why the hell is Zill alive and not in prison? That Genometric is sure going to be interesting.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I don't get these people who make all their Songs a CLASS::. If you're singing about it, you probably want everything to be public anyway, so isn't it more elegant to just use a STRUCT::?

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Maybe Zill's around because they needed a bad guy running around :shrug: my question is why didn't Zill keep Sarly under much higher security.

For those who've read the Ciel summary especially considering Zill should know full well who she is and how much Sarly and co can get in her way as they have before, also wondering why Nay doesn't just tell the sharl to gently caress off.

A Cup of Ramen fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 21, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

To be fair Zill was keeping Sarly behind a locked door in the Church, which is the closest thing to a prison they have. They were keeping her around because I'm pretty sure they hoped to get more information out of her.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Omobono posted:

Object-oriented language? Do Ra Cielans use (a local variant of) Hymnos too or is their magical language different? Looking forward to it, the songs are the selling point of the Tonelico & co. games

REON is kinda more Query-based, but it does rely in a bit of class definition to represent a sentence subject besides the singer.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Honestly, I'm kinda surprised Cass reined herself in enough to not spit fire when she saw Zill, given what happens in Ciel nosurge. That Genometrics is probably going to be loving nasty.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Materant posted:

Honestly, I'm kinda surprised Cass reined herself in enough to not spit fire when she saw Zill, given what happens in Ciel nosurge. That Genometrics is probably going to be loving nasty.

It is called the Land of Death, and I will say holy poo poo will it live up to that name. We also get a BALLER song out of it when we can finally do it. Like it's my go-to song for the rest of the game even after I get the more powerful ones because the aesthetic of it is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
:aaa: I just connected the dots and realized that this game had the very same Origa (Olga Vitalevna Yakovleva) whose superb rendition of Meadowlands (Polyushka Polye) I recently stumbled across, quite by coincidence, on YouTube. Thought I'd share the video here, as it immediately makes clear why she would have been excellent for this sort of game (and is, I think, precisely up the alley of anyone who likes this style of music.)

What a shame that she died this January.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=04_rDXjQuoQ

• Locked thread