Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
No mostly we're saying that police are trigger happy cowards who misrepresent how dangerous their profession is.

I'm certainly not going to dispute that the US military is pretty awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Jarmak posted:

So we've reached the point where people are telling vets how they're wrong and the US Army was actually really restrained during the war just to avoid having to admit that maybe, just maybe, saying that cops are more trigger-happy then a bunch of infantryman in a war-zone was a bridge too far.

Truly we are through the looking glass now

But I love my dead gay talking point :smith:

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Dead Reckoning posted:

Do you understand that saying, "Hey guys, we're not going to kick doors on this one because intel says this dude's house is basically one giant IED" is different than what people usually mean when they talk about "showing restraint," which typically refers to refraining from an action for principled or altruistic reasons, rather than fear of ending up in a CSH minus some of your important bits?

That's pretty much the new excuse for no knock flash bang and shoot anything that moves warrants, because it's a drug dealer (hopefully) and all drug dealers are armed to the teeth so they have to storm trooper in and take them out first.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Toasticle posted:

That's pretty much the new excuse for no knock flash bang and shoot anything that moves warrants, because it's a drug dealer (hopefully) and all drug dealers are armed to the teeth so they have to storm trooper in and take them out first.

Did you miss all the other posts pointing out the other potential military responses to these situations?

Dead Reckoning posted:

the military is allowed to shoot anti-tank missiles at occupied buildings to get one guy.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Well "excited delirium" is getting a (very) small bit of attention again. Somehow this story never really pierces the public attention.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/heres-walter-scott-outrage-nobodys-talking-about

quote:

Here's the Walter Scott Outrage That Nobody's Talking About

Until the eight shots heard ’round the world, cops in North Charleston, South Carolina, were primarily distinguished by their zesty use of Tasers.

As computed by a local newspaper in 2006, cops there used Tasers 201 times in an 18-month period, averaging once every 40 hours in one six-month stretch and disproportionately upon African Americans.

The Charleston Post & Courier did the tally after the death of a mentally ill man named Kip Black, who was tasered six times on one occasion and nine times on another. Black died immediately after the second jolting, though the coroner set the cause of death as cocaine-fueled “excited delirium syndrome.”

It’s important to note that Taser International has spent large sums convincing local coroners that this syndrome (which primarily seems to kill people in police custody) makes it the victim’s responsibility if they have the bad luck to die from being shot full of electricity with a taser.

Take the now notorious California incident that happened to be filmed by a local news station, in which a man on horseback led police on a chase through the desert. When he fell from the horse, police swarmed and he very clearly laid down on his stomach and put his hands behind his back. Then the police beat the hell out of him and tasered him repeatedly. This footage has garnered widespread criticism because of the beating, and for good reason. It’s brutal, primitive behavior.

But you won’t find many people expressing outrage about the electric shocks being administered to this man over and over again. Here’s a typical news report of the incident:

In video captured by cameras aboard a helicopter for KNBC, deputies gather around the man after he falls from a horse he was riding to flee from them. The video shows deputies using a stun gun on him and then repeatedly kicking and hitting him.

KNBC reported that the man — identified by authorities as Francis Pusok — appeared to be kicked 17 times, punched 37 times and hit with a baton four times.

Again, if you look at the footage, Pusok was on the ground, face down with his hands behind his back before anyone tasered him or physically assaulted him. And yet the tasering is apparently considered a-ok. At the very least, it isn’t mentioned as something that shocks the conscience the way the beating does.Perhaps this is because the searing pain of electro-shock doesn’t leave much in the way of a mark. But hideously painful it is. Yet for some reason, delivering this particular agony to a suspect is not something people reject when there is no danger to police or bystanders, and the suspect is compliant. But police do it routinely, and are rarely sanctioned for it.

Walter Scott ran from the pain of the taser and he was shot in the back numerous times for doing it.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I don't know about raids, but judging from photos taken during the Ferguson demonstrations, U.S. armed forces do have better trigger discipline.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

For once, some good news...

FBI goons in Las Vegas devised a plan to gather evidence on an illegal gambling ring running out of an expensive hotel suite. They shut off internet to the suite, posed as technicians, and entered the suite wired up with cameras to conduct a search. The 4th amendment is supposed to protect against unlawful search and seizure, but the FBI claimed that since they had been "invited" into the hotel suite, the search was lawful.

Happily, the SCOTUS has put the smackdown on the FBI's buffoonery, finding that non-essential services cannot be interrupted in order to gain access to conduct a search. Copy of the decision is here. I was concerned about this case because of the nature of interrupting the internet service - it's not an "essential" service like electricity or water.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

For once, some good news...

FBI goons in Las Vegas devised a plan to gather evidence on an illegal gambling ring running out of an expensive hotel suite. They shut off internet to the suite, posed as technicians, and entered the suite wired up with cameras to conduct a search. The 4th amendment is supposed to protect against unlawful search and seizure, but the FBI claimed that since they had been "invited" into the hotel suite, the search was lawful.

Happily, the SCOTUS has put the smackdown on the FBI's buffoonery, finding that non-essential services cannot be interrupted in order to gain access to conduct a search. Copy of the decision is here. I was concerned about this case because of the nature of interrupting the internet service - it's not an "essential" service like electricity or water.

If this is the case I'm thinking of the judge that first struck it down said something like "What the hell why didn't you get a warrant, it'd have taken like 5 minutes because you had some evidence"

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
This was in the local paper today:

Black Man gets 80 years in jail for non-violent Burglary, he may not have even commited. He's 20 years into the sentence, but holy crap.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

If this is the case I'm thinking of the judge that first struck it down said something like "What the hell why didn't you get a warrant, it'd have taken like 5 minutes because you had some evidence"
Pretty much. The FBI had been tipped off by hotel staff in the first place, so it was just a case of the FBI being lazy and then back-filling over their lovely operation.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Anora posted:

This was in the local paper today:

Black Man gets 80 years in jail for non-violent Burglary, he may not have even commited. He's 20 years into the sentence, but holy crap.

That's loving insane. Like, how is it possible for that kind of sentence not to get slapped down on appeal.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Patrick Spens posted:

That's loving insane. Like, how is it possible for that kind of sentence not to get slapped down on appeal.

The first two words are why.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
That's loving?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

repeating posted:

That's loving?

"Black man"

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/officer-refuses-resort-deadly-force-i-wanted-be-absolutely-sure-n344011

quote:

A rookie Ohio cop is being praised for "great restraint and maturity" after he held off using deadly force against a double murder suspect who charged at him, his police chief said.

In a confrontation Thursday with a man accused of killing his fiancee and his best friend, New Richmond Police Officer Jesse Kidder is heard on his body-camera video yelling, "No man, I'm not going to do it!" and ordering the suspect to get down on the ground.

The suspect rushes toward him shouting, "Shoot me, shoot me!"

"Back up!" screams Kidder, holding his gun out. The man finally crumples to the ground just feet away from the officer in the video taken in the Cincinnati suburb of Elsmere, Kentucky.

Investigators say Michael Wilcox, 27, killed his fiancee in their Brown County, Ohio, home, then killed his best friend in Elsmere, reported NBC affiliate WLWT in Cincinnati, which first obtained the body-camera video. A Brown County investigator spotted Wilcox Thursday night at about 8 p.m. and attempted to stop him, but Wilcox claimed he had a gun and drove away, officials said.

He was then followed by New Richmond police on a car chase through multiple counties on the Ohio-Kentucky border before Kidder caught Wilcox and arrested him.

Aaaaand another:

https://gma.yahoo.com/homeless-man-florida-discovers-forgotten-bank-account-collecting-215310136.html

quote:

A homeless man who has been living in a cardboard box in downtown Tampa, Florida, for over three years may soon have a modest-sized apartment and a pension check coming in every month, police said.

With the help of a cop and homeless shelter case manager, John Helinski, 62, discovered a forgotten bank account that has been collecting Social Security disability benefits for years, he told ABC News today.

Helinski is looking forward to having a place of his own to call "home" and thankful for the help he has received, he added.

Bon Jovi, Charities Open Hunger Center at New Jersey Shore

800,000 Children Forced From Homes in Boko Haram Violence

Group Hopes Recycled Hotel Soap Helps Save Lives Worldwide

Tampa Police Department Officer Daniel McDonald and Helinski’s case manager, Charles Inman of Drug Abuse and Comprehensive Coordinating Office Inc. (DACCO), have spent the past few weeks trying to help Helinski locate his personal identification documents to get him into housing, Officer McDonald said.

“John came to the DACCO Community Housing Solutions Center last December when it first opened,” McDonald said.

Inman, he added, asked him to help with Helinski’s case because all Helinski’s personal identifying documents and ID were stolen and lost while he was out on the streets.

“As a homeless liaison officer, the bread and butter of my work often involves hopping department to department trying to help homeless people find the ID they need in order to get things like work and housing,” McDonald said.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 18, 2015

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Wish they could all turn out like that. That was still very, very close.

Better footage here. Also that officer has done two tours and has a purple heart, so he's a true badass.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Better footage here. Also that officer has done two tours and has a purple heart, so he's a true badass.

Its as if hes received more training on dealing with stressful situations than the average officer.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Its as if hes received more training on dealing with stressful situations than the average officer.
Could be argued either way. If he'd shot the guy we might be saying "clearly his military background has made him too trigger happy".

Some very bad quality bodycam footage is also popping up right now of a guy wielding a samurai sword getting shot by St Lous PD. Anyone have good footage?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Hopefully with the public attention on these issues, these will become the absolutely predictable and normal stories over the next few years.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Jarmak posted:

So we've reached the point where people are telling vets how they're wrong and the US Army was actually really restrained during the war just to avoid having to admit that maybe, just maybe, saying that cops are more trigger-happy then a bunch of infantryman in a war-zone was a bridge too far.

Truly we are through the looking glass now

edit:

Yeah, like mine, I was just assuming maybe some different poo poo then my experience in Afghanistan happened in Iraq at some points

To be fair, non military types telling vets how it really is is kind of a something awful intramural sport.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

To be fair, non military types telling vets how it really is is kind of a something awful intramural sport.
It's more getting vets to say how lovely they are just to spite the "leftist" & "liberals" mentioning the fact that the police are may be worse. That is comedy in itself.

Don't worry kids, you can both be lovely for your own reasons :smug:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

tezcat posted:

It's more getting vets to say how lovely they are just to spite the "leftist" & "liberals" mentioning the fact that the police are may be worse. That is comedy in itself.

Don't worry kids, you can both be lovely for your own reasons :smug:

I never said lovely, war calls for a different level of restraint then law enforcement. People lacking any sort of conceptual grounding of what a war is actually like and instead using law enforcement as their framework for understanding an issue is one of the most aggravating things about discussing that topic here. This is just people making that mistake from the other direction.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Hey, everybody guess the race of the suspect.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Amish?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wow that is quite a video.

Seriously, loving great job. There is a guy who has a lot of experience and training in assessing threats. I don't know what kind of training he received but it looks like he has put it to good use. He could sense that the man was just a shitkicker who had snapped and committed murder, and that his murderous impulse was played out. So, he was intent on bringing him in rather than killing him. This is the sort of person who we need in the police. Now, I'm sure a lot of police will come out and say "oh well these are the sort of decisions I make every day." OK then, put on a body camera and show us. If you assess threats and make decisions like this guy, you'll earn all manner of plaudits from me.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Wow that is quite a video.

Seriously, loving great job. There is a guy who has a lot of experience and training in assessing threats. I don't know what kind of training he received but it looks like he has put it to good use. He could sense that the man was just a shitkicker who had snapped and committed murder, and that his murderous impulse was played out. So, he was intent on bringing him in rather than killing him. This is the sort of person who we need in the police. Now, I'm sure a lot of police will come out and say "oh well these are the sort of decisions I make every day." OK then, put on a body camera and show us. If you assess threats and make decisions like this guy, you'll earn all manner of plaudits from me.

I suppose the main point, aside from the discipline and training of this policeman, is his willingness to increase the risk to his own life in order to decrease the chance that he'll have to take the other man's life.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

That's an understatement, I've seen early 2000s russian webcam feeds with better quality and framerates than that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zwabu posted:

I suppose the main point, aside from the discipline and training of this policeman, is his willingness to increase the risk to his own life in order to decrease the chance that he'll have to take the other man's life.

If you watch what happens and how he made his decision, you can see that he made the exact opposite choice that many officers would make. The man simply had his hand in his pocket, which a great many officers have been documented as taking to mean "Drawing a weapon" and immediately opened fire. He took the chance to wait until he could see a gun or knife come out before potentially shooting an unarmed man making a bluff. I think he could also tell by the behavior that the guy was committing a typical suicide by cop, and thus was trying to get himself killed more than he was trying to kill someone.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Zwabu posted:

He didn't really increase his risk. Walking backwards is a viable tactic.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

If you watch what happens and how he made his decision, you can see that he made the exact opposite choice that many officers would make. The man simply had his hand in his pocket, which a great many officers have been documented as taking to mean "Drawing a weapon" and immediately opened fire. He took the chance to wait until he could see a gun or knife come out before potentially shooting an unarmed man making a bluff. I think he could also tell by the behavior that the guy was committing a typical suicide by cop, and thus was trying to get himself killed more than he was trying to kill someone.

And when he loses his footing and falls backwards, that's when the suspect realizes his suicide attempt hasn't worked and he immediately complies with the officer's demands.

Oh and this officer is wearing a body camera of his own accord. Some police have good conduct, even exemplary conduct. I wonder if he will still be on the force in five years?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
From his own statements, it sounds like he felt like he was in control of the situation. He had the draw on the suspect and was prepared to use lethal force if necessary, but was also confident enough inside such a situation that he could wait for the suspect to make an overtly hostile move before firing. Maybe that comes from having actual combat experience.

He was also briefed with regards to the suspect being likely to attempt suicide by cop, which was probably confirmed when the suspect charged him demanding to be shot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

He didn't really increase his risk. Walking backwards is a viable tactic.

Technically he "increased his risk" by failing to immediately kill the guy. Technically, the only way to truly avoid being murdered by everyone you meet is to kill them first. He was just brave enough to wait for confirmation of a threat instead of opening fire as soon as he had an excuse.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Technically he "increased his risk" by failing to immediately kill the guy. Technically, the only way to truly avoid being murdered by everyone you meet is to kill them first. He was just brave enough to wait for confirmation of a threat instead of opening fire as soon as he had an excuse.

Yeah this was what I meant by exposing himself to increased risk. Obviously he didn't feel the threat was credible, but he left an opening where if he'd read it wrong the guy could have killed him, or his window to stop the guy killing him would have been a lot smaller.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/04/80-percent-of-police-force-resigns-after-missouri-town-elects-first-african-american-mayor/

quote:

Following the election of the town’s first African-American mayor, five of the six officers on a small Missouri town police force resigned en masse, reports KFVS.

Former city clerk Tyrus Byrd was sworn in as mayor of Parma, Missouri on Tuesday only to find out that police officers, as well as the city attorney and a water treatment supervisor, had resigned before she took office.

According to outgoing Mayor Randall Ramsey, who is stepping down after 37 years in town hall over two terms, the city employees gave no prior notice.

Residents of the town, some pointing out that the town was probably over-staffed with police, were unconcerned about their safety after the two full-time and three part-time officers quit./2015/04/80-percent-of-police-force-resigns-after-missouri-town-elects-first-african-american-mayor/

To be fair, the place has 740 residents. One or two cops should be plenty.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
They cited "safety concerns" according to the original article.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I hope those people are hounded at every public place by journalists, every day. Instead they'll be greeted with smug leers of approval from their neighbors.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

The man who was recently believed to have been given a "nickel ride" by Baltimore PD has passed away due to complications from his injuries and/or surgery (I'm not a doctor). Link to story. This one is loving heartbreaking. They gave this guy some savage, horrible injuries in an especially cruel way :(

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

The man who was recently believed to have been given a "nickel ride" by Baltimore PD has passed away due to complications from his injuries and/or surgery (I'm not a doctor). Link to story. This one is loving heartbreaking. They gave this guy some savage, horrible injuries in an especially cruel way :(
Basically a legal way to pull a James Bird Jr without witnesses to the actual abuse. I hope they get charged but I have no faith in the system to do so.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

quote:

Police haven't said what crime Gray was suspected of or how he sustained his injuries. A brief witness video of the end of the arrest, obtained by the Baltimore Sun, showed officers carrying Gray toward a police van as his legs dragged on the ground. In another witness video that aired on the local CBS affiliate, WJZ-TV, he could be heard screaming.

“He clung to life for seven days and died today at approximately 7 a.m. We believe the police are keeping the circumstances of Freddie’s death secret until they develop a version of events that will absolve them of all responsibility.

How can the police not have any statement about what happened for a week afterward? Aren't they required to make a report about any arrest right away? In the absence of such a statement or report, how could anyone conclude anything other than that they're getting their story straight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/tulsa-sheriff-stanley-glanz-fbi-closed-investigation tulsa sheriff claims FBI exonerated his department in the reserve deputy shooting

• Locked thread