Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
If there's one thing goons hate, it's kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
To be fair, I think this particular kid is meant to be horrible. His catapult backpack is pretty sweet, though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Crow Jane posted:

To be fair, I think this particular kid is meant to be horrible. His catapult backpack is pretty sweet, though.

He is meant to be unlikable towards the beginning, which is compounded by the burning hatred goons feel towards children.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hot Fuzz is up. A good movie that keeps giving the more times you watch it.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Rolo posted:

Yarp.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
It's somehow the most subtle of a ridiculous series of films, and took me a long time to really appreciate because Shaun of the Dead makes you expect something more off-the-wall than HF actually is. Agreed that repeat viewing makes it more enjoyable.

...Is Hot Fuzz really Empire Strikes Back in spirit?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Hot Fuzz is just really, really satisfying to watch. It's incredibly smartly constructed, funny as hell, and really loving exciting as well. I'd *almost* go so far as to say it's more or less a perfect movie.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

mamelon posted:

It's somehow the most subtle of a ridiculous series of films, and took me a long time to really appreciate because Shaun of the Dead makes you expect something more off-the-wall than HF actually is. Agreed that repeat viewing makes it more enjoyable.

...Is Hot Fuzz really Empire Strikes Back in spirit?
No way. The bad guys lose, no one gets maimed or frozen, and the hero winds up with his love interest.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

John Big Booty posted:

No way. The bad guys lose, no one gets maimed or frozen, and the hero winds up with his love interest.

What version of Hot Fuzz are you watching where no one gets maimed!?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Boywhiz88 posted:

What version of Hot Fuzz are you watching where no one gets maimed
Well, no one got their hand chopped off, at least.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Boywhiz88 posted:

What version of Hot Fuzz are you watching where no one gets maimed!?

Well, no one who didn't deserve it at least.

Did you see that spelling? Unforgivable.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Odds are that they had the tracks in the pipeline already - a quality Descriptive Audio Track takes more than a couple of days to make.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Crow Jane posted:

Hot Fuzz is just really, really satisfying to watch. It's incredibly smartly constructed, funny as hell, and really loving exciting as well. I'd *almost* go so far as to say it's more or less a perfect movie.

I was thinking exactly this while watching it today. If you rate movies on a scale from zero to one, it's a total one.

There's a great blend of clever and stupid. Plus there's something about someone getting beaned in the head with an aluminum trash can that slays me.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
The Babadook was fantastic.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Oldstench posted:

The Babadook was fantastic.

I had a choice of the Babadook or Man with the Iron Fists 2 today and I chose poorly.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Maybe I'm crazy but I thought Babadook wasn't that great and lacked any real subtlety.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

Finally watched this after years of meaning to watch it, and thought it was loving amazing. Now I have to watch Shaun of the Dead and The World's End.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Hot Fuzz is great, and it was double great when I re-watched it recently and finally made this connection:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Twitch posted:

Finally watched this after years of meaning to watch it, and thought it was loving amazing. Now I have to watch Shaun of the Dead and The World's End.

Have you watched it a second time yet? Seriously, watch it a second time. The way it's structured with the subtle callbacks makes it better the second time you see it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have you watched it a second time yet? Seriously, watch it a second time. The way it's structured with the subtle callbacks makes it better the second time you see it.

Hot Fuzz is such an insanely dense and tightly-scripted movie to the point where almost every line is a setup, punchline, or callback. It makes World's End being so sloppy and muddled that much more disappointing.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Crow Jane posted:

This is no joke. I always find something new with each watch. This time, during the crime scene in the rain, I noticed Frost has a protective cover over his tiny cowboy hat. Amazing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's just the one time, actually.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Checked out The Babadook last night. I liked it, and recommend it to anyone that wants a creepy horror movie to watch.

I just really really wish they didn't turn it into yet another possession movie. It just seems like a lazy way to not have to show a cool monster anymore. We can just make the actor go crazy!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
All this talk of Babadook makes me remember that when i first saw it, I just wanted to steal my movie buff friends phone who loved the movie and make the ringtone the scratching and the Babadook-dook speech, then ring him at like 2am.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In case you were tired of people posting good movies, all six of the original Leprechaun movies are up, as is the classic animated film Bebe's Kids.

I still have to watch Leprechaun 6: Back 2 Tha Hood, but I saw a clip on Youtube where the Leprechaun stabs someone to death with a bong.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Noah is up. Honestly, it's refreshing to see one of the more unbelievable stories of The Bible portrayed in a way that makes sense.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Puddin posted:

All this talk of Babadook makes me remember that when i first saw it, I just wanted to steal my movie buff friends phone who loved the movie and make the ringtone the scratching and the Babadook-dook speech, then ring him at like 2am.

My girlfriend gets incredibly upset with me when I whisper "BaBa-dook-dook-dook as she is falling asleep. Totally worth it though.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Enjoying "You Laugh But It's True" wondering if there are any other South African things on netflix, in english preferably. Love that accent, really interestingly different people over there too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

1redflag posted:

My girlfriend gets incredibly upset with me when I whisper "BaBa-dook-dook-dook as she is falling asleep. Totally worth it though.

It's worth the slap every time I do it to mine. I also have a gargally voice that I think sounds goofy but creeps her out so I combine the two.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I still say Shaun of the Dead is a better movie than Hot Fuzz :colbert:

To be fair, there's a hair's width between them.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I still say Shaun of the Dead is a better movie than Hot Fuzz :colbert:

To be fair, there's a hair's width between them.

It is a superior film, at least if you're not going to be all analyzing it like some people do.

I suspect it is marihuana that is causing this disparity.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Holy poo poo, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night was a bizarre and amazing movie.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 02:26 on Apr 25, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Twitch posted:

In case you were tired of people posting good movies, all six of the original Leprechaun movies are up, as is the classic animated film Bebe's Kids.

I still have to watch Leprechaun 6: Back 2 Tha Hood, but I saw a clip on Youtube where the Leprechaun stabs someone to death with a bong.

Pretty sure that was the third? And iirc it was a Wayans brother or something? I haven't seen the space one yet though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rolo posted:

Noah is up. Honestly, it's refreshing to see one of the more unbelievable stories of The Bible portrayed in a way that makes sense.
I love that the movie is basically about killing off all the friendly nonhumans from The Neverending Story. The animal Noah saves in the opening, was totally a luck dragon, and I was waiting to see the rock guys pull out tricycles. It was a ludicrously puerile movie though, bad guys are bad and you know it because they just flat bite the heads off of cute little animals and eat them raw. Also you can gauge Noah's sanity entirely based on his haircut in each scene.

I did LOL at the "I'm so horny I will go to the dark side!" subplot though.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

coyo7e posted:

I love that the movie is basically about killing off all the friendly nonhumans from The Neverending Story. The animal Noah saves in the opening, was totally a luck dragon, and I was waiting to see the rock guys pull out tricycles. It was a ludicrously puerile movie though, bad guys are bad and you know it because they just flat bite the heads off of cute little animals and eat them raw. Also you can gauge Noah's sanity entirely based on his haircut in each scene.

Such big, strong hands.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

coyo7e posted:

Once you notice how Crowe's eyes never both point at the same thing, the rest of the movie is gold.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Yo so They Came Together stars Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd and damnit if it is not the funniest thing I've seen in awhile. It's a spoof on romantic comedies which goes over all the typical cliches but not in the typical parody way like Scary Movie did. It's a little more subtle. Very much worth a watch. Also it's written by Michael Showalter and David Wain (Stella, wet hot american summer)

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

WetSpink posted:

Enjoying "You Laugh But It's True" wondering if there are any other South African things on netflix, in english preferably. Love that accent, really interestingly different people over there too.

It's not really South African but it takes place in Apartheid South Africa and all the characters have the accent; Stander. It's a fun movie based on a cop who realized how easy it is to rob banks in apartheid if you are white, so he does. Stars Thomas Jane.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

casual poster posted:

Yo so They Came Together stars Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd and damnit if it is not the funniest thing I've seen in awhile. It's a spoof on romantic comedies which goes over all the typical cliches but not in the typical parody way like Scary Movie did. It's a little more subtle. Very much worth a watch. Also it's written by Michael Showalter and David Wain (Stella, wet hot american summer)

I'm not entirely sure why Netflix calls it a "semi-spoof"

Like, what's a full spoof?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Strange Circus is a great watch on Netflix. It's odd and surreal, and goddamn beautiful. If you want to watch it go in blind, spoilers take away from the story. Also, if you hate subtitles stay away.