Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
gently caress wraiths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I did all of that uh, like mid-September with the combat patch? Still not things I want to go back and do.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
As a person who has finished TW2 at least six times, I cannot comprehend not wanting to play it again. The only thing that ever felt like a hassle to me was the crafting.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lareine posted:

As a person who has finished TW2 at least six times, I cannot comprehend not wanting to play it again. The only thing that ever felt like a hassle to me was the crafting.

What do you even need to craft? I think outside of my Dark Mode playthrough I've crafted one sword.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

Corollary to this: Any idea how big the download will be?

Xbone preload is 25 GB.

http://www.vg247.com/2015/04/17/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-discounted-for-gold-members-pre-load-now-live/

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Avalerion posted:

Has it ever been explained why the Nilfgardians are bad or why we should be bothered by them taking over?
They're not really worse than anyone else, just more powerful. It's a centralized empire with a standing military and organized goods manufacture vs. the squabbling feudal kingdoms of the north. Naturally the less powerful party is going to suffer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Orv posted:

I reinstalled 2 to play the prologue again because I really like their massive interpretation of siege warfare, and Foltest is just great, but I don't think I can play through 2 again at this point. Some of the combat encounters have just gelled and soured in my memory to the point where they don't spoil 2, but I certainly don't remember enjoying the gameplay, just the story and writing.

Combat in TW2 became fun for me when I started specializing in alchemy. Drinking a bunch of potions that make Geralt hilariously overpowered and then throwing bombs like a madman was wonderful.

I hope alchemy is as fun in TW3.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm replaying the Witcher games in preparation for 3, and I installed the Full Combat Rebalance mod for Witcher 1. Can I uninstall it without breaking my save? It has some good ideas but the difficulty is all over the place and the Beast fight in chapter 1 feels basically impossible.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 18, 2015

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Elukka posted:

I'm replaying the Witcher games in preparation for 3, and I installed the Full Combat Rebalance mod for Witcher 1. Can I uninstall it without breaking my save? It has some good ideas but the difficulty is all over the place and the Beast fight in chapter 1 feels basically impossible.

drat man, I don't think I could really go back to playing W1--good luck to you.

Just trying my insanity run on TW2 instead :shepface:

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

GrossMurpel posted:

What do you even need to craft? I think outside of my Dark Mode playthrough I've crafted one sword.

I usually go for the Hunter's Armor, Vran Armor and the Elder Blood accessories.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Maybe I'll actually use all that stuff in W3 when you can just gulp down a bunch of herbs straight from the backpack.
Preferably in combat and not that dumb meditation poo poo where you need perfect knowledge of the entire game and the surprise encounters beforehand.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

Maybe I'll actually use all that stuff in W3 when you can just gulp down a bunch of herbs straight from the backpack.
Preferably in combat and not that dumb meditation poo poo where you need perfect knowledge of the entire game and the surprise encounters beforehand.

Well it's not like specialized stuff was ever necessary in W1 or 2. I think the only instances I can think of are spectre oil against The Beast in 1 and against Wraiths in W2. loving Wraiths.
Other than that, it's just "I'm going out into the woods, better drink a swallow".

OAquinas posted:

drat man, I don't think I could really go back to playing W1--good luck to you.

Just trying my insanity run on TW2 instead :shepface:

Why would you ever play Insanity instead of Dark Mode? I guess it's aptly named.
W1 still holds up pretty well if you forgot half of the story and don't mind the combat.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

GrossMurpel posted:

Why would you ever play Insanity instead of Dark Mode? I guess it's aptly named.
W1 still holds up pretty well if you forgot half of the story and don't mind the combat.

Only cheevo I haven't gotten. Offends my faux-OCD that it's one away from a perfect game.

Plus it forces me to switch up my playstyle from "insane pyromaniac berzerker" to a more cautious Bomberman type. Just did the "Scent of Incense" sidequest and after getting locked up, I blew down the door with Aard and tossed out a Dragon's Dream, Dancing Star, a Red Mist, and then Grapeshot until all 5-6 guys were dead. Kinda fun to sit back and watch everyone, on fire, fighting each other, while getting shredded by grapeshot.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is there a site I can load my save into, to recollect the decisions I made in previous games? I still have my saves and I think I killed Letho just to see who would win (me) but I can't remember and I don't want him to be dead going into W3 because it seems like it'd remove a pretty big chunk of the story.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You could just download a save that matches the decisions you want to have made, right?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Will this game have respawning monsters? Will it be possible to grind, or will all XP come from quests?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I am reading that weapon and armor unlocks have switched from level based unlocks, to level scaling. IE: The item is permanently level 17 if you pick it up at level 17.

This seems a bizarre last minute change considering the game didn't work that way two weeks ago, and I hope to gently caress everyone saying it is wrong because there are few shittier and fun-sucking ways to handle itemization than scaling. Bethesda level game design right there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rime posted:

I am reading that weapon and armor unlocks have switched from level based unlocks, to level scaling. IE: The item is permanently level 17 if you pick it up at level 17.

This seems a bizarre last minute change considering the game didn't work that way two weeks ago, and I hope to gently caress everyone saying it is wrong because there are few shittier and fun-sucking ways to handle itemization than scaling. Bethesda level game design right there.

Hahaha WHAT? No way.

Where'd you read that from, that is a terribel design choice. Amlost as bad as my spelling

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Other games do it like that. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it's not like it's some outlandish idea if it were actually in the game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Manatee Cannon posted:

Other games do it like that. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it's not like it's some outlandish idea if it were actually in the game.

It's not a new idea, but it's still a poor one.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rime posted:

I would hope level scaling means that the item gets more powerful as you get more powerful. At level 5 your Steel Sword of Stabbing" does +5% damage and has a +2.5% chance to cause bleeding; at level 10 it does +10% damage and has a +5% chance to cause bleeding.

I think a system like that would make more sense for a fun gameplay perspective, because you can build different -and even better- weapons as you get deeper into the game; e.g. later on you could build a new sword that has the above but also +0.2% lifesteal/level.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
REALLY hoping they don't go Diablo-style with equipment, ugh.

EDIT: Why the hell do items have levels.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I understand the mechanical reasoning: You are ALWAYS getting a more powerful weapon every time you get a new weapon. It's a nice carrot and stick mechanic, but for thematic and whatever purposes it's not the best. I'm on the side of it's-kinda-dumb but there are worse things they could have done.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
Yup, I hope the only thing gating you from using equipment is the difficulty of the areas you have to explore to find it or bad dudes you need to kill to loot it.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I understand the mechanical reasoning: You are ALWAYS getting a more powerful weapon every time you get a new weapon. It's a nice carrot and stick mechanic, but for thematic and whatever purposes it's not the best. I'm on the side of it's-kinda-dumb but there are worse things they could have done.

Assuming it works the way Rime described it, I honestly can not think of a worse thing they could have done.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Joe Man posted:

REALLY hoping they don't go Diablo-style with equipment, ugh.

EDIT: Why the hell do items have levels.

Items have levels because of crafting now or something. I don't know.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Rime posted:

Did you read it from here?

e:

quote:

• In some cases when you kill the monsters in an area, humans will settle it. In the prologue there’s actually a cutscene that shows is as it happens so that the players understand the mechanic. It’s not always so simple, and there are different states. Whenever you go into an area the game will check what you have and what you haven’t done, who you helped, who you killed, the decisions you made during quests and dialogue. That can change a lot of things, including the people that spawn in a village. The mechanic is simple, but it can get complex because of all the branching.
  • Monsters don’t scale with your level. If you’re way underleveled compared to a monster, you’ll do almost no damage.
  • The level of an enemy is displayed, but is its level is indicated by a skull you better stay away, because it’s way too strong for you, and it might even oneshot you.
  • The bestiary populates itself as you learn information and eventually it tells you where a monsterlives, at what times of day it appears, what it’s vulnerable to.
  • Gear has been moved around very recently to re-balance it.
  • You won’t find items you can’t use because you’re too low level. They will automatically scale down to your level if they’re too high for you. For instance the damage of a weapon will be lower, even if they will keep their “cool” elements like setting elements on fire for instance. Once you pick up an item, its stats are set, so it won’t scale back up to its original stats. That said, you’ll always get better loot as you move forward anyway. There’s no need to wait to be the right level before you get an item.
http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/04/16/the-witcher-3-developer-talks-about-systems-fetch-quests-adaptable-loot-nudity-and-penises-and-more/

Section 31 fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 20, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I don't understand the problem with that.
In a more or less linear game like W3 it's easy to say "you will only find this powerful sword if you do the second to last quest in chapter 3" or something.
In open-world, if you tie specfic weapons to quest areas, lots of players will have to play most of the game with lovely weapons because they ignore the quests.
If you hardcode what weapon can be found in which cave, on the other hand, players who explore a lot will find those and that would make the rest of the game a cakewalk.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The worry, I think, is that there's the potential for players who like to explore a lot to find some of the better weapons too early for them to reach their full potential, thus cheating themselves out of a great late-game weapon by finding it too early. I wouldn't be surprised to see guides specifically for items that you should wait to pick up until late-game so that you don't basically steal from your own future effectiveness.

Having loot scale down to your level makes a certain amount of sense, but they're going to have to be really, really careful or too much early-game exploring could actually lead to you having fewer late-game equipment options.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If the entire item (name, appearance, etc) is randomly generated, I don't really have a problem with it, but I personally think it would suck to get an awesome-looking, hand-designed sword or one with actual background history, only to have to "downgrade" to a more boring-looking, generic one because you grabbed it too early. It bothered me in Oblivion, it bothered me in Skyrim and I wouldn't be surprised if it bothers me in W3 as well if that is the case

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Harrow posted:

The worry, I think, is that there's the potential for players who like to explore a lot to find some of the better weapons too early for them to reach their full potential, thus cheating themselves out of a great late-game weapon by finding it too early. I wouldn't be surprised to see guides specifically for items that you should wait to pick up until late-game so that you don't basically steal from your own future effectiveness.

Having loot scale down to your level makes a certain amount of sense, but they're going to have to be really, really careful or too much early-game exploring could actually lead to you having fewer late-game equipment options.

200hours

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Will there be a pre-load option through GOG? Because they're going to get their servers hammered on launch day, and I'd hate to not get to play my game because of it.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Harrow posted:

More than likely that won't even be a problem because the best weapons and armor in the previous games came from being crafted, so I don't see how it would be any different in Witcher 3.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Harrow posted:

Yeah it was a gigantic problem in Oblivion, largely because you could do stuff in basically any order you wanted to, and all the cool unique rewards in the game would scale down and be lovely if you got them at a low level.

Not that that matter all that much considering in Oblivion you never wanted to level up anyway.

It'll probably be much less of a problem here since items only scale down to your level. But it's still kind of stupid. I don't really get the problem with just letting the player get an item that they have to wait a few levels to use, or just not having level requirements on weapons to begin with. But I don't really get modern AAA games in general. :shrug:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Harrow posted:

That's a good point, I did not consider unique weapons. It will be like importing Excalibur or whatever it was actually named from W1 and ditching it 20 minutes into chapter 1.

Skuzal posted:

More than likely that won't even be a problem because the best weapons and armor in the previous games came from being crafted, so I don't see how it would be any different in Witcher 3.

The best swords in W2 weren't crafted. In the Enhanced PC version at least, I think they removed some craftable swords there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I don't know, that was one aspect of the Gothic series I appreciated. You pull a bunch of poo poo into a guard and they kill him and you steal his boss weapon but you can't use it because you're still a low level baby. But I guess that would seem out of place for someone like Geralt. If you ask me, as a person who only knows the witcher universe from these games, it seems like it's the kind of deal with Lord of the Rings where all the good poo poo was made by elves or dwarves or gnomes years ago now stuff today is just 3rd hand garbage replicas and the only real quality stuff are made by recluses who don't want anything to do with anyone. So it seems like that sort of problem could have been solved by making crafted weapons better than stuff dropped by John Q'Grunt and hiding the materials for the better weapons behind badass monsters, job rewards or whatever. No one expected to get the best steel sword from a dentist in the first game by bringing him teeth.

So, I beat the first Witcher. Neutral path all the way. I hope in the third game we meet Kalkstein again, I liked him. I'm in Flotsam in the second game now. Boy, do I hate the camera angle for dice in this game. Why it is at an extreme angle where you can't see anything is beyond me. I hope it's back to a top-down view like in the first game, if dice poker is still around and didn't get replaced by actual poker or triple-triad or whatever that card game we saw was. Also "Your mother sucks dwarven cock" gets replaced with "ploughing whoreson", so it makes me wonder what will be the magical repeated line or word(s) in the third game.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

The best swords in W2 weren't crafted. In the Enhanced PC version at least, I think they removed some craftable swords there.

I was speaking about Dark Mode weapons, outside of Dark Mode though before enhanced though I found that no other weapons could compete with the crafted ones. I could honestly be wrong though since it has been awhile since I have played through the Witcher 2.

Edit: Looking at the Wiki with all of the swords, it looks like the best steel sword is crafted and the best silver sword is bought. So in a way we are both right.

Skuzal fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 20, 2015

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I absolutely hated the leveled items from Oblivion and Skyrim but hopefully in W3 you won't gently caress yourself over too bad by finding a cool weapon too early since the monsters are still static level and you'll need to kill them to get to the items. At worst you will get that cool sword when you're the minimum level to handle that area.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Soarer posted:

I absolutely hated the leveled items from Oblivion and Skyrim but hopefully in W3 you won't gently caress yourself over too bad by finding a cool weapon too early since the monsters are still static level and you'll need to kill them to get to the items. At worst you will get that cool sword when you're the minimum level to handle that area.

I think this would be for the best. Keep all the cool stuff gated behind enemies you have to level up to handle. At least that way you won't hate yourself for picking up an awesome sword and having it neutered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Skuzal posted:

I was speaking about Dark Mode weapons, outside of Dark Mode though before enhanced though I found that no other weapons could compete with the crafted ones. I could honestly be wrong though since it has been awhile since I have played through the Witcher 2.

Edit: Looking at the Wiki with all of the swords, it looks like the best steel sword is crafted and the best silver sword is bought. So in a way we are both right.

I can totally get where they're coming from, inasmuch as The Witcher 2 was fairly scripted in what you'd encounter. So you could have a "best" sword for Ch 2's wraiths/harpies/endrega and then come Ch 3 throw it into a ditch to equip Deithwin without a second thought. While with an open world, Geralt could encounter anything at any time. So equipment would have to be more versatile and less locked-progression or people would just find a way to snag the purple shoulders ASAP and cheese the game. Ideally, it'll be less "this is the best sword" and more "this the best sword for this encounter/area." He needs multiple swords; Geralt often loses them.

• Locked thread