Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
I am. Gonzales v. Raich was wrongly decided :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
You're not a hypocrite about it though, because I'm p sure you are some flavor of libertarian.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Soviet Commubot posted:

That's a pretty good argument for making the UN an actual governing body.

This would be both cool and good.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'd be fine with the abolishment of States and their rights.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Locke, if you're still reading then this is a pretty good doc from Frontline (which is a program you should be watching very much of, IMHO) specifically pertaining to the consequences of the Citizen's United court decision insofar as it affects broad rural Western/Midwest states. Specifically, that it makes gaming elections on the state and local level in ways that are favorable to entrenched and wealthy concerns really fuckin' easy.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/big-sky-big-money/

It is a really good story which talks a lot about the interplay between Local, State, and Federal governments in the US and has a good central event where a lot of secret campaign finance documents proving Shady Dealings were found in a party house two states over under a wholesale quantity of crystal meth.

Rump states are Real Bad Policy, homie.

e; also

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Holy loving poo poo. Stop talking about yourself.

This. Please. It's coming off real bad.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Willie Tomg posted:

Locke, if you're still reading then this is a pretty good doc from Frontline (which is a program you should be watching very much of, IMHO) specifically pertaining to the consequences of the Citizen's United court decision insofar as it affects broad rural Western/Midwest states. Specifically, that it makes gaming elections on the state and local level in ways that are favorable to entrenched and wealthy concerns really fuckin' easy.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/big-sky-big-money/

It is a really good story which talks a lot about the interplay between Local, State, and Federal governments in the US and has a good central event where a lot of secret campaign finance documents proving Shady Dealings were found in a party house two states over under a wholesale quantity of crystal meth.

Rump states are Real Bad Policy, homie.
That looks interesting, I'll check it out today. Thanks.

EDIT: But lol, posters can poo poo on me and break the basic SA rules without punishment but I can't explain my viewpoint when I'm being strawmanned and/or misunderstood? Labeling me as a retard libertarian and everything else changes the discussion and makes it difficult to have a discussion on its own merits. You say tone arguments, I say ad hominem and straw manning. Obvious double standards.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 16, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I attempted to address your thread in a non-confrontational manner. Your choice to continue only acknowledging posters who "poo poo on you" for the sake of rationalizing your tantrum is completely your own.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Locke Dunnegan posted:

That looks interesting, I'll check it out today. Thanks.

EDIT: But lol, posters can poo poo on me and break the basic SA rules without punishment but I can't explain my viewpoint when I'm being strawmanned and/or misunderstood? Labeling me as a retard libertarian and everything else changes the discussion and makes it difficult to have a discussion on its own merits. You say tone arguments, I say ad hominem and straw manning. Obvious double standards.

In truth, good sir, you should afford these ill-mannered rakes not the pleasure of deriding your posts, and should stay your posting quill as much for their sake as your own, that they might pause to consider the folly of their slander.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I attempted to address your thread in a non-confrontational manner. Your choice to continue only acknowledging posters who "poo poo on you" for the sake of rationalizing your tantrum is completely your own.

Yes, and I appreciate it, as you are acting like a normal poster. Well I guess on average way above the norm for this thread, so thank you. But considering I have ignored the vast majority of poo poo the last few pages when almost every single post engaging me directly has at least a stupid barbed comment instead of also letting it drop, I figured ignoring it and waiting for moderation apparently isn't the way to raise the bar. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't, which sucks because the actual discussion about states vs. feds is getting interesting, and I can't participate because of assholes.

And I know there's probably going to be a reply that I CAN participate and ignore the haters more, but why are they allowed to continue? Is this GameFAQs?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Locke Dunnegan posted:

And I know there's probably going to be a reply that I CAN participate and ignore the haters more, but why are they allowed to continue? Is this GameFAQs?

this is above all else a comedy forum, and your continued masochistic desire to get trolled to poo poo by the most pathetically low effort posts is kind of funny

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Lotka Volterra posted:

This would be both cool and good.

:agreed:

Bob James posted:

Not necessarily. The difference is that US Federal Government actually exists, and has centuries of track record to look at when asking "Should this governing body exist and enforce human rights standards on its member states?" The UN as a functional government is entirely theoretical, and could be an unworkable shitshow.

Although an alternative presents itself here, making all states US member states. Saudi Arabia shouldn't be allowed to poo poo on its populace any more than Texas should.

:getin:

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this is above all else a comedy forum, and your continued masochistic desire to get trolled to poo poo by the most pathetically low effort posts is kind of funny

i agree lmao

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Without digging up Ancient Forums HistoryTM, you aren't even in the top 1000 Most-Set-Upon-Posters-in-D&D. Not even close. You started a thread spitballing and theorycrafting about dissolving the USA as a contiguous nation without knowing about the Articles of Confederation or how it turned out, or that Jim Crow was a collection of state laws repealed on the federal level. People are gonna make fun of that (though many of them are not funny b/c they are boring) and that's okay because your viewpoint which you hold so sacrosanct is missing some pretty clutch pieces of supporting information. That's not a double standard, that's a single standard. You're on the wrong side of the standard. Please get over yourself.

This could be a pretty okay thread if you stopped talking about yourself and instead stepped back and used the gaps in your knowledge--which you admit!--as an initiating point for a low-key and breezy and chatty and fun conversation where people get to talking about stuff and you learn lots of cool things you didn't know before from people who have perspectives you didn't know existed! You don't need to read any textbooks or whatever, you don't need to request four thousand word essays on a subject, you just need to start a conversation and step back and let nerds talking to each other do the heavy lifting for you as they naturally talk about relevant things. This can still be the thread you wanted to make, but you need to stop being so wounded in your ego. People calling you a retarded libertarian actually does not change the discussion hugely, how you respond to it does. You've responded kinda clumsily, in my estimation.

XyloJW posted:

Locke Dungeon, reading through this thread when it was just one page I thought I should say "tone arguments are really way more trouble than they're worth, just ignore the sarcasm in a post and try to get what they're getting at, or ignore the post entirely. This is still a comedy forum, and D&D can have some humor in its rebuttals." But then I saw other people say it more succinctly and you say "Oh okay, my bad." Then I check back 7 pages later, and you're still doing tone arguments, people are still saying to ignore the tone, and you're still saying "Okay, I understand now." Please just ignore the tone of a post, there's no requirement that people be nice.

No need to respond to me, just take the advice and continue the discussion!

like, i don't know who this rear end in a top hat nobody lurker is or why that red star's there or what it means or how those typeface changes snuck into the quote or what they could signify, but this is a pretty good post you should read and internalize what its saying and definitely, definitely not respond to it with a post of your own.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 16, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The only solution is full communism.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
well duh

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Holding my views sacrosanct is something that I haven't done, actually. I could go fetch the post saying I am ignorant if you'd like but it looks like you're reading the thread so I'm going to assume you've read that one.

The thread's topic is too vague to make this anything other than a catch-all topic for pretty much any state OR federal issue, though, so the next thread I post here will have a more refined scope.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Holding my views sacrosanct is something that I haven't done, actually. I could go fetch the post saying I am ignorant if you'd like but it looks like you're reading the thread so I'm going to assume you've read that one.

The thread's topic is too vague to make this anything other than a catch-all topic for pretty much any state OR federal issue, though, so the next thread I post here will have a more refined scope.

Oh good because I'm sure that one will be an even more astounding success.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Well I suppose the appropriate moderator action would be to probate everyone who insulted you then probate you for backseat moderation and discussing forum issues here instead of QCS, and probate me for this post. Oh also to tell you to cut out the insane narcissism.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Locke Dunnegan posted:

How about you fetch a big bottle of "getting over things" instead and drink it. Poison also works.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I've been kicking around a similar question, honestly. Because yeah we're absolutely gridlocked and gerrymandered and it makes no sense. But like this thread has been saying shutting down the federal government isn't going to fix that.

So what I'm wondering is, what if we just did away with state representation? Leave them as governing bodies for their regions yeah, but remove them from the equation at the federal legislative level. What if, instead, we replaced it with socio-economic representation? Think like unions but nation-wide and given legislative authority. So instead of having X people to represent California, X for Wyoming, X Alabama, etc you would have X people representing minimum wages service profession, X representing corporate managers, and so on as dictated by their percentage of the population. Is there anything to this, or am I missing something that would botch the whole thing? (Besides "Union" being a Killing Word and the upper classs never in a million years allowing it to happen.)

What you are describing is very similar to the fascist third way approach that rejects both capitalism and communism. If you are going that route I recommend the Italians. They have fast cars and cool buildings.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shbobdb posted:

What you are describing is very similar to the fascist third way approach that rejects both capitalism and communism. If you are going that route I recommend the Italians. They have fast cars and cool buildings.

Futurism FTW

Death to Eurasia. Reject their poison history.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
I think the problem of decentralization in the US is that politically it seems to be really tied up to the concept of "state's rights" and all the baggage that comes with it.

I can't imagine devolution in the UK or decentralization in Germany being an ideological subject.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Typo posted:

I can't imagine devolution in the UK or decentralization in Germany being an ideological subject.

I don't know how the US feels about 'states rights' but devolution over here is very much mixed up with nationalism and mutual dislike between the various component areas of the UK.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Typo posted:

I think the problem of decentralization in the US is that politically it seems to be really tied up to the concept of "state's rights" and all the baggage that comes with it.

It's not just baggage in terms of what happened with states rights, but with the fact the U.S. started as a loose confederation without a strong national past. States rights wasn't a radical notion so much as a genuine reactionary movement. Frankly, there are still significant parts of the country that lack the institutional capacity and civil society to function as developed liberal democracies without a federal government.

Also, you would increase the (already way too large) power of non-state entities by making every interstate American company into an effective multinational corporation. Don't like NAFTA allowing trucks that follow Mexican safety and pollution standards in the country? I guarantee you one of our great 50 states would beat the still-United States of Mexico in a race to the bottom.

Also consider straight up criminals. It took the Feds until the 80's to bust most of the Mafia's power. What would happen without them? (The answer is actually the NYPD paramilitary would take them on, but not without getting into actual gunfights with other state law enforcement along the way (poo poo I'm waiting for an NYPD spook in Paris to shoot a gendarme as it is, only a matter of time)).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Devolution isn't really the same thing as states' rights or confederation though. The UK Parliament still retains control, can legislate for Scotland when it wants, and is free to undo devolution at anytime without the consent of Holyrood as I understand it.

Towns have mayors and can pass city ordinances, which means some power has devolved upon them. That doesn't make states mini-confederations, it just means that in some cases the larger government has decided certain things are more efficiently handled at the local level.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
the holy roman empire was ftw. well, thats my take on the question

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Make the US a Confederation on a country wide level.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Shbobdb posted:

Seriously? :confused: If I'm missing something feel free to break it down for me, but I feel like with the rise of technology, physical location isn't really as much of a dealbreaker as it used to be. 200 years ago getting everybody in an area to go write names down on a slip of paper was hard enough on its own. I just think we can probably develop a better way to represent a populace, legislatively, other than what state and/or gerrymandered district a person is living in.

Luminous Obscurity fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 20, 2015

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
OP, I think States work as excellent laboratories of democracy. You can experiment and tweak a little here and there to see if a policy will be successful, and if it is it can be adopted at the national level. At the turn of the last century states like New York were very progressive and would help lift less progressive states like Pennsylvania or Kentucky up their level with worker safety and food and drug protections by getting their progressive policies adapted at the national level. This is also like Massachusetts and its Health Care law and the ACA.

However, this only works within the greater framework of the federal system, because when a state goes the opposite direction and say bans poor people from voting by issuing a poll tax, there needs to be an indomitable power to check them and enforce human rights. Really, one of the failings of the modern progressive movement is their failure to gain power and institute policy on the local and state level to prove their ideas on a smaller scale and then adapt them to a national scale. There are, of course, a multitude of reasons for this (gerrymandering/money politics).

So should states have more freedom to experiment with different policies? Maybe, but there needs to be a fed so when a state crosses a line, their power can be checked.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They dont work well as laboratories because most states have stupid deficit spending restrictions.

Also limiting reform to little states doesnt do much because global and even national capital just steamrolls over them.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Maybe we should abolish the states and turn them into districts. And then every year we can have children fight to the death for the glory of the districts.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

They dont work well as laboratories because most states have stupid deficit spending restrictions.

Also limiting reform to little states doesnt do much because global and even national capital just steamrolls over them.

I hear ya, man. I live in Colorado where the State Constitution was amended banning all new tax increases and it had to be repealed after much work and money. So like, they work both ways. Laboratories of both freedom and oppression, good and bad, etc and then the Fed is there to watch over everything. Look at Kansas today, you probably don't hear much about it because legislatively its a Republican dreamworld, however its having insane revenue problems which is forcing it to cut spending in places like the universities and people in Kansas actually really like their universities and other things. Policy implemented- policy not attempted at federal level due to abysmal failure (i.e. no one is toting Kansas as a model example even though legislatively it is).

And yes the money issue is a serious problem to which no one has come up with a solution

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

I'm sympathetic to that line of reasoning but essentially codifying guilds as the model for the person is rather dystopian. Especially given the current fluidity of the job market as well as the multiple roles a person is expected to occupy.

Let's take a step back from straight up corporatism or national syndicalism and go with syndicalism as a basic starting point:

It looks like a good idea, but it runs into the same problem as the Soviet model (only instead of soviets based on locality, you have "soviets" based on employment). The squeeze between the syndicate and the federation allows for easy access to corrupting forces (similar to the indirect election of senators in the US).

Plus, populations tend to self-segregate. What we need isn't radical change, we just need to be better at districting. Impartial districting is a solution that has a greater chance of being realized as opposed to reinvented the wheel.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Okay, I get what you're saying now. I can agree that jobs might be too fluid to realistically base representation on. That said, I feel like sometimes it can be healthy to take another look at the wheel, regardless.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Why stop at states' rights? California is larger than most countries; why should that vast expanse of radically different regions all be subject to Sacramento? To ensure that all parts of the US are under local rule, I propose we break it up into a confederation of sovereign city-states.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
The individual can still be outvoted in a city-state. The only defensible local government is the absolute sovereignty of the individual, with the only law a ban on the initiation of force.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Why stop at states' rights? California is larger than most countries; why should that vast expanse of radically different regions all be subject to Sacramento? To ensure that all parts of the US are under local rule, I propose we break it up into a confederation of sovereign city-states.

This is the example where military force really does come into play, however, with the south using whatever force necessary to secure water from the north at a favorable cost.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shbobdb posted:

Plus, populations tend to self-segregate.

They often self-segregate socially but not geographically.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What the gently caress does that even mean? When I move to a new area, the friends I make (people like me) tend to be within 20 miles of where I am living. Where I move after that basically triangulates and the distance narrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shbobdb posted:

What the gently caress does that even mean? When I move to a new area, the friends I make (people like me) tend to be within 20 miles of where I am living. Where I move after that basically triangulates and the distance narrows.

Pretty common to have neighbors that simply refuse to talk with you but are more than happy to socialize with the guys two streets over and so on.

• Locked thread