Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

yeah I mean also that

depending on how long it's been since ME3 they may have just figured out how to build new ones

or they discovered one post-reaper war

one of the more intriguing theories I read was that you could have multiple relay networks in the same galaxy that were totally independent of one another -- considering you still have to FTL it to nearby systems, if you put them far enough away from one another, they might never cross paths

IIRC there's bits about there being unexplored mass effect relays here and there.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
playing as a human is great

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Alain Post posted:

If they're called Remnants, why aren't there any remaining??? What is going ON?

it was the HARVESTERS

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

it was the HARVESTERS

:eyepop:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Geostomp posted:

The real reason is so that the series doesn't have to deal with the nonsense that was Mass Effect 3's ending choice.
However, all of the characters from the Milky Way will have circuitry overlays on their skin and never shut up about how great it is to be an organic/machine mixture.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
You fight the Accumulators in the second one.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I hope Mass Effect 4's Milky Way characters don't all have green eyes, I thought that was dumb.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Actually making everyone part machine just effectively makes the game Space Deus Ex.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Lycus posted:

They found an eighth mass effect field.

We'll finally get a Stargate game :unsmith:

:smith:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Dan Didio posted:

You fight the Accumulators in the second one.
The Hoarders, where you find a disabled starship and have to not trip over all the old back issues of Fornax.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

So since it's a different galaxy all the poo poo from Mass effect wont even really cross over? None of the aliens from the Milky Way and none of the Reaper stuff? What is the point of even making it the same IP?

Well we know the Krogan established a colony there, so presumably all the aliens we know and love will be here.

Also reapers are gone, at least I hope.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If the leaked info is real and that's seriously the direction they're taking then I think it's a huge cop-out and quite possibly the least interesting way of handling anything after ME3. Well here we are in an entirely new galaxy with absolutely zero continuity except those wacky, zany alien races who have all inexplicably ended up at the same place. Bioware proudly presents Mass Effect: The New Class.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

exquisite tea posted:

we are in an entirely new galaxy with absolutely zero continuity except those wacky, zany alien races who have all inexplicably ended up at the same place.

Makes sense in the context of a desperate galactic colony mission.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't care if it's a cop out or whatever, new galaxy sounds more fun than "canon endings".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lycus posted:

I don't care if it's a cop out or whatever, new galaxy sounds more fun than "canon endings".

I would not mind too much if we eventually get a game set in the Milky Way again. The new premise will probably give the game a very different tone, which is cool and exciting, but I want to see more of the actual Mass Effect world we know.

They should just pick an ending and continue from there. Strict forked inter game continuity, in the end, hurt the games more than it did good, I think.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 20, 2015

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I just want to go to this new galaxy and teach the locals religion. And by that, I mean I'm going to biotic charge into pirates and soldiers.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

hello this is a new star wars game

no you see it's set in a new galaxy but instead of jedi there's jadii

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

exquisite tea posted:

If the leaked info is real and that's seriously the direction they're taking then I think it's a huge cop-out and quite possibly the least interesting way of handling anything after ME3. Well here we are in an entirely new galaxy with absolutely zero continuity except those wacky, zany alien races who have all inexplicably ended up at the same place. Bioware proudly presents Mass Effect: The New Class.

Short of an entirely new continuity, there is no real way to deal with the mutually contradictory endings of ME3. The writers didn't plan on continuing after them (or plan those endings at all) so it's the easiest way to ignore all of it and get back to the exploration people usually like in this genre.

It may be a cop out, but I'll take any excuse to pretend ME3 as it was never happened. Speaking of which, is it time for a new thread?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

If I can't play as a batarian bioware is dead to me

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
For all your technomagical needs
One possibility is that this starts during Mass Effect 3's Reaper War. As galactic civilization is about to be destroyed by the Reapears, a way to reach a new galaxy is discovered, thus offering a chance for survival. The PC is part of a multi-race group in charge of exploring this new galaxy and establish new civilizations, and make sure all the current races survive. Maybe it's a one-way trip only, or many something goes bad and they can't make it back. But this way you can completely ignore the end of ME3.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Technomancer posted:

One possibility is that this starts during Mass Effect 3's Reaper War. As galactic civilization is about to be destroyed by the Reapears, a way to reach a new galaxy is discovered, thus offering a chance for survival. The PC is part of a multi-race group in charge of exploring this new galaxy and establish new civilizations, and make sure all the current races survive. Maybe it's a one-way trip only, or many something goes bad and they can't make it back. But this way you can completely ignore the end of ME3.

sending an expedition to another galaxy as part of continuity of civilization plans in the event the Reaper War is lost makes a lot of sense

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Lycus posted:

They found an eighth mass effect field.

The design is clearly Remnant.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

It is, but there's really no way to follow ME3 in a way that isn't a cop-out because ME3 was intended to be an ending. Unfortunately the franchise must march on.

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.

exquisite tea posted:

It gives off a Star Control 3 vibe, given the circumstances of the scenario and summary of game play elements -- and that isn't a good thing. They might be able to pull it off, but I really don't have much confidence at this point.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Alain Post posted:

It is, but there's really no way to follow ME3 in a way that isn't a cop-out because ME3 was intended to be an ending. Unfortunately the franchise must march on.

did they ever say that they intended the franchise to end with ME3?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Pattonesque posted:

I think they said Shepard's story was ending but the ME universe wasn't, if they said anything. Which is half truth and half marketing, always leave the door open for sequels because this is a for-profit industry.

The problem is when you wrap up one character's story by massively changing up the universe status quo, you make it awfully hard to continue the franchise. So the new galaxy reset button it is. I don't really envy the ME4 team for that decision but I also don't see a way they can make a game set chronologically after ME3 that would be able to do anything else, unless they took the fairly bold option of throwing ME3 under the bus. After the shitstorm of internet drama ME3's ending created I don't blame anyone for trying to stay as far away from it as possible to avoid shitstorm 2: poo poo harder.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man, ME4 sounds like it could be amazing, but it sounds like they're making the exact same mistakes they made with DA:I.

A shitload of 'content', an overarching goal that requires mobile game mission allocation, spreading 'influence', resource management. It's not a stretch to assume that each planet will be laid out similarly to the DA:I zones.

It's such a loving boring concept. Taking the worst bits of MMOs, sim/base building games and mobile games and smooshing them up together in what's supposed to be a story and character driven world. It's a waste.

I'm obviously making a lot of assumptions, but DA:I was such a loving shame, and EA seems to think it went over really well. Ah well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
TBH, I'd rather see them just put the effort into porting the whole thing to the next gen consoles. Turn it into a 100 hour game. Smooth out the rough patches. Tie everything together. Add some content to make things a bit more sensible.

They do it right and it would sell.

Will never happen, of course.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pattonesque posted:

Back when ME1 was released, they said they intended it to be a trilogy.

Also pre-EC, the ME3 ending was like, pretty definitive. Unless you were going to set another sequel in a different time period, or do something weird like a ME game without the relays.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

All the things my brain is telling me make no sense, take a back seat - I just want to travel around a galaxy with my space buds.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Spikeguy posted:

All the things my brain is telling me make no sense, take a back seat - I just want to travel around a galaxy with my space buds.

Get loud, spill some drinks.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

this is p. much the essence of a good Mass Effect game

if they get that right people will ignore a lot of bad things

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Why wouldn't they just set it in the 99.999% of the Milky Way that didn't have relays, now ripe for colonization thanks to [Magic Space Technology]? Then all of the new aliens (and old ones showing up) could be explained by new travel to these previously "unexplored" regions. That seems much simpler than making a carbon copy of everything and sending some kind of unlikely and never-ending torrent of refugees from the original trilogy across the gulf of space between galaxies.

Moving the setting that far out of time and space also seems to acknowledge that the endings were so bad they just had to nuke the franchise and start from the title.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

this is p. much the essence of a good Mass Effect game

if they get that right people will ignore a lot of bad things

Case in point: Mass Effect 2.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Moving the setting that far out of time and space also seems to acknowledge that the endings were so bad they just had to nuke the franchise and start from the title.

Which is correct.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lycus posted:

Which is correct.

There's nothing really to the events of ME3 itself that are so out of the ordinary. Like if you asked a normal person to predict what would happen at the end of the trilogy after playing Mass Effect 1, they would be like "Shepard will probably get rid of the Reapers and galactic civilization will be damaged" which is exactly what happens and incidentally a perfect starting point for ME4 regardless of what flavor of Reaper-doing-away you chose. The issue was the immensely hacky way it all came together, but the plot in terms of what actually happened were fairly predictable.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
They can do this interim game and if people are clamoring for more Shepard (and they probably will) then they can do a new game set after ME3. Bite the bullet, pick a canon ending and go. Destroy makes the most sense, you get that cutscene with high war score that has Shep breathing and then it's Shep's job to unfuck everything after the Reapers are gone. You could deal with Krogan expansion, Geth/Quarian problems, etc.

Control would be way more interesting with God Emperor Shep but writing that in a way that actually works would be much harder.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Why wouldn't they just set it in the 99.999% of the Milky Way that didn't have relays, now ripe for colonization thanks to [Magic Space Technology]? Then all of the new aliens (and old ones showing up) could be explained by new travel to these previously "unexplored" regions. That seems much simpler than making a carbon copy of everything and sending some kind of unlikely and never-ending torrent of refugees from the original trilogy across the gulf of space between galaxies.

Because there's still the elephant in the room caused by ME3's endings either a) destroying all synthetic lifeforms, b) leaving a galaxy monitored by a Shepard AI and its armies of death squids, or c) making everyone weird cyborgs with said death squids just kind of hovering around because of brain damage. Nobody wants to try to reconcile that nonsense and it's next to impossible to completely skate over, so they'll move on so far away that they'll never have to think about it again.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

TBH, I'd rather see them just put the effort into porting the whole thing to the next gen consoles. Turn it into a 100 hour game. Smooth out the rough patches. Tie everything together. Add some content to make things a bit more sensible.

They do it right and it would sell.

Will never happen, of course.

if only the next gen consoles were worth buying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The best way to reconcile it is just let it be that Shepard entered the crucible, there was a burst of light, everyone disagrees on the color, and the reapers are gone now. The "Will kill the geth and quarian" things was just a bluff from the star child to get Shepard to back off from the most genocidal option, and even in green and blue ending I'm sure they the reapers would eventually just go bugger off somewhere because they're horrifying giant squid people and walking zombies reminders of everyone's lost friends and family.

• Locked thread